Stuff to do

Bloomington, MN
puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Stuff to do

Post by puck71 »

Locals (or anyone) please add to this so we can give our guests and/or their significant others the best possible time in our state/city! (This isn't really in a particular order - just as I think of stuff)

1) Mall of America - One of the biggest malls in the world, and there is "something for everyone." It's also just a couple stops away from the event hotel by light rail, and a very easy drive if you have access to a car or want to uber it. If the weather is decent I guess it could be walkable, but it's a little over a mile - light rail is way easier. I won't try to list everything to do, but I recommend checking it out at least once if you haven't already.

2) Target Field - One of the nicest baseball stadiums in the country. The Twins suck, which means there should be no problem getting tickets. :( This is on the OTHER end of the light rail line from the hotel (line runs from Mall of America to Target Field, with the airport and event hotel in between). Train ride from the hotel to the stadium is about 40 minutes, but probably worth it. I'll have a car there and still probably take the train if I go to a game (or anywhere else downtown Minneapolis).

3) Downtown Minneapolis bars - I'm a little out of date with my knowledge of specific bars, but downtown Minneapolis is probably the best bar/drinking area accessible from the hotel by light rail. There are a bunch of cool places I've been to - if anyone is interested in more detail I'll try to look up some of them and make a separate post. Or if there's another expert, please post a good list. (As an aside, if you want to uber, the Uptown area is a good area to bar-hop as well)

4) Breweries - The Minneapolis area has quite a few good breweries. I don't THINK any of them are easily accessible by light rail, with the possible exception of Fulton (which is a half mile or so from Target Field). The Surly facility is pretty awesome, and Surly is probably the current most popular local brewery. Summit is more or less the oldest local brewery, but I haven't been to their brewery. They have a decent selection of beers too, and have a pretty loyal following.

5) Minnesota Zoo - Not on the light rail, but a pretty easy drive/uber from where the hotel is. A pretty typical zoo, but if you like zoos and such I'd say it's a bit above average based on the handful I've been to around the country.

6) First Avenue - Iconic music venue downtown, featured in "Purple Rain" (I think) and a lot of famous bands have played there. The full schedule for August isn't posted yet, but Taking Back Sunday is playing on Thursday (8/10). It's walkable from the light rail and near some other downtown bars and such.

I guess there are a few decent museums, but I honestly haven't been to any of them. I'd check tripadvisor if you want museum info and ratings.

John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

JediJer
Administrator

Re: Stuff to do

Post by JediJer »

Looks like the Twins are away the weekend of Worlds. :cry:
Thursday in Milwaukee, Fri-Sun in Detroit

puck71

Post by puck71 »

JediJer wrote:Looks like the Twins are away the weekend of Worlds. :cry:
:( A tour could still be interesting I guess if you're really into baseball or stadiums. I haven't done one yet but want to at some point.
John Anderson

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

puck71 wrote:
:( A tour could still be interesting I guess if you're really into baseball or stadiums. I haven't done one yet but want to at some point.
I was a big Twins fan as a kid, so yeah, seeing the stadium would be cool (watching a twins game would have been cooler). I don't know if that's what I want to do on Friday since I have so few opportunities for playing swccg. Might have to just make another trip up there some time.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

JediJer wrote:
puck71 wrote:
I was a big Twins fan as a kid, so yeah, seeing the stadium would be cool (watching a twins game would have been cooler). I don't know if that's what I want to do on Friday since I have so few opportunities for playing swccg. Might have to just make another trip up there some time.
1- I'm trying to plan my SWCCG-ing summer and, no lie, my first priority with each trip was checking the baseball schedule. Props to Seattle, slops to Worlds and Nationals.

2- If I do go to Worlds (which is probably the most likely for other reasons), I would probably be very interested in a tour if they do them. Maybe Thursday night or Friday during the day before the team tournament. I can't commit 100% to it, but if either of you guys are interested in it, I' would definitely like to.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote: 1- I'm trying to plan my SWCCG-ing summer and, no lie, my first priority with each trip was checking the baseball schedule. Props to Seattle, slops to Worlds and Nationals.
We tried honestly, but it didn't work out. Got a good deal on the hotel during a busy time of year and had to take it. Maybe next time.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

No worries. I actually have already been to PNC, so it's not the biggest deal. But I wouldn't mind going again - that is one of the nicest parks I've been to.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:No worries. I actually have already been to PNC, so it's not the biggest deal. But I wouldn't mind going again - that is one of the nicest parks I've been to.
Unfortunately, its home to one of the worst teams...

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

rhendon wrote:
Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:No worries. I actually have already been to PNC, so it's not the biggest deal. But I wouldn't mind going again - that is one of the nicest parks I've been to.
Unfortunately, its home to one of the worst teams...
Would have been a fair statement (that Pittsburghers openly said ourselves) 5 years ago. Now it just seems like a bad attempt at a dated joke.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:
JediJer wrote:
puck71 wrote:
1- I'm trying to plan my SWCCG-ing summer and, no lie, my first priority with each trip was checking the baseball schedule. Props to Seattle, slops to Worlds and Nationals.

2- If I do go to Worlds (which is probably the most likely for other reasons), I would probably be very interested in a tour if they do them. Maybe Thursday night or Friday during the day before the team tournament. I can't commit 100% to it, but if either of you guys are interested in it, I' would definitely like to.
My flight comes in at like 9 Thursday night, so it would have to be on Friday if I were to do it.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

In August on non-game days it looks like they run tours at 11am and 2pm: http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ball ... ent=public
John Anderson

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

puck71 wrote:In August on non-game days it looks like they run tours at 11am and 2pm: http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ball ... ent=public
I think it would be cool to do a tour.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

So flights are still a little pricey (and going up???), but I do watch each day. If I can make it, just wondering what was up with the fantasy flight game center/store or whatever? That might be something cool to check out (if it's even check out-able?).

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jimli »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:So flights are still a little pricey (and going up???), but I do watch each day. If I can make it, just wondering what was up with the fantasy flight game center/store or whatever? That might be something cool to check out (if it's even check out-able?).
It is check out-able.

My feeling, when I'm in there, is that it's like a typical game store but way nicer. There's a ton of room, they have a food menu, (I don't know if the food is actually cooked onsite or if they just reheat it) beers on-tap, and it's open for causal gaming and hanging out the same way a typical card store is.

So yeah, for people from out of town who play FFG games, it would probably be a neat place to check out. There's no good way to get there via public transportation though, you'd have to get a rental car or cab it. Probably about 20 to 30 minutes drive, FFG is a bit north of downtown and we'll be a bit south of downtown.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

FFG game center is definitely a good place to visit for this crowd. But like Jim said, it's not that close to the hotel, and not on a light rail line. I think most of the people who go to FFG worlds take a cab or uber, if they don't know a local to pick them up.
John Anderson

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Now I want to go and burn down their store for them being an awful company...

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

rhendon wrote:Now I want to go and burn down their store for them being an awful company...
This seems unnecessary. The people who work at the Event Center are very nice.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

imrahil327 wrote:
rhendon wrote:Now I want to go and burn down their store for them being an awful company...
This seems unnecessary. The people who work at the Event Center are very nice.
rob always commits arson after business hours
Jerry H

Image Image

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

JediJer wrote:
puck71 wrote:In August on non-game days it looks like they run tours at 11am and 2pm: http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ball ... ent=public
Okay, so... I'M IN! Just booked a flight and I want to do a tour.

How close is the hotel to Target Field? Friday at 11 am is probably the only time I can do it, but I'd also like to play in the constructed event that day. If tour ends at 12:30, is it possible for me to be back in time for the 1pm event?

Also, anyone else interested in doing it with me? JediJer? Puck?

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:
JediJer wrote:
Okay, so... I'M IN! Just booked a flight and I want to do a tour.

How close is the hotel to Target Field? Friday at 11 am is probably the only time I can do it, but I'd also like to play in the constructed event that day. If tour ends at 12:30, is it possible for me to be back in time for the 1pm event?

Also, anyone else interested in doing it with me? JediJer? Puck?
According to the OP, train ride is about 40 minutes from Hotel to the field, so making the 1pm event would be tough unless we had a car/uber, which looks like it would take about half that time to travel between the two. I'd totally be up for it if others are, especially if we can convince them to start the constructed event at 1:30 or 2 (the schedule is still tentative, just copied from last years, so I think the two of us could pull some strings to make it happen ;) )

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”