Schedule of Events

Bloomington, MN
arebelspy

Re: Schedule of Events (tentative)

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote:Ok. I had no clue. Although joining halfway through would imply byes of some sort. I didn't think you could join after round 1 in an event. This would be he just is taking losses before actually showing up.
Yeah, joining late and taking byes wouldn't be fair. If people are okay with me signing up and taking FLs until I get there though, doesn't seem like any downside.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

I think Robbie is concerned that, if we are using the software to handle it, that might not be possible, which is a legit concern.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

imrahil327 wrote:I think Robbie is concerned that, if we are using the software to handle it, that might not be possible, which is a legit concern.
I can confirm that the software freaks out. I had an event in which Schoenthal was supposed to arrive late (and ended up not arriving at all) where I had to manually re-match everyone because the software kept on matching up people who had already matched up, with the same side.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

Cam Solusar wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:I think Robbie is concerned that, if we are using the software to handle it, that might not be possible, which is a legit concern.
I can confirm that the software freaks out. I had an event in which Schoenthal was supposed to arrive late (and ended up not arriving at all) where I had to manually re-match everyone because the software kept on matching up people who had already matched up, with the same side.
That bug got fixed a while back.
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

I think you'll have the same problems using the software that you would have using paper. You'd have to either:
1) Mark him as "inactive" (removing him from pairing completely), which means in a 6-game tournament, his score could end up as 3-0
OR
2) Mark every game he's paired in as a FL and a FW for the opponent.

In both cases, I think you end up with skewed SOS numbers (not 'incorrect', just 'not representative of how the players actually played').

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

I was going off of what we usually do for events when someone shows up late. They usually get a bye. This is usually only done during round 1. I've never been at an event to add someone in after round 3. Thus, giving 3 byes is ridiculous.

What I was going to do is add him like a normal person. He would just be conceding the first 3 round because he isn't there. So he would start 0-3. After that, he plays as normal and since it is Joe, he will end up 0-6. Not sure SoS matters on day 1.

Can't remember if there are prizes or not for it outside of the byes.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Couldn't you just rig it so if there is an odd number without joe that he just plays against the guy with a bye every round and loses? Without a bye I don't know what to do.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

I don't think Day 1 will have too many players, so maybe just do it by hand to be safe. Joe joins whenever he gets there (cause let's face it, these things never start on time) and just gets credit for the games he actually plays.

However, his SOS will be horrible, because coming into the event at game 4 he will be playing everyone who has lost multiple games already. He might have better luck just joining the "late night Cube" event.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Day 1 is open to all players. # of byes given is = to half the field. Day 1 last year had 18 players, 9 of which already had byes. So the remaining 9 got byes.

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jimli »

Assuming I get my bye out of the way, I volunteer to play as Joe until he arrives. Functionally might be just the same as him starting 0-3, but maybe I'll gut out one win for him.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Rather than messing with a whole day 1 field, can't we just hold a sealed event right after for Joe? I'd be in for that so long as it's not too too late?

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:Rather than messing with a whole day 1 field, can't we just hold a sealed event right after for Joe? I'd be in for that so long as it's not too too late?
haha, yeah, i don't want anyone to go to any inconvenience. just that if, like, day 1 has 18 players and 12 already have byes (so there's 9 potential byes for only 6 people needing them) me jumping in late as an 0-3 player or whatever hopefully wouldn't bother anyone. any other random event later is fine too. :)

the jimli proxy is a good idea too, if and only if there is less people who need byes than there are byes available (e.g. under half the field needs a bye, so everyone needing one will get one)--i don't want anyone NOT getting a bye due to accidental shenanigans, just if it won't affect anyone else. :)

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

Kyle needs a bye too, so we can just do a dinner cube as well easily enough. I'll play :)

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

arebelspy wrote:
Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:Rather than messing with a whole day 1 field, can't we just hold a sealed event right after for Joe? I'd be in for that so long as it's not too too late?
haha, yeah, i don't want anyone to go to any inconvenience. just that if, like, day 1 has 18 players and 12 already have byes (so there's 9 potential byes for only 6 people needing them) me jumping in late as an 0-3 player or whatever hopefully wouldn't bother anyone. any other random event later is fine too. :)

the jimli proxy is a good idea too, if and only if there is less people who need byes than there are byes available (e.g. under half the field needs a bye, so everyone needing one will get one)--i don't want anyone NOT getting a bye due to accidental shenanigans, just if it won't affect anyone else. :)
If Jim doesn't have his bye, I'll proxy for Joe (I'll have my bye). Pretty good chance that I'll be 0-3 anyway.

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

For the Thursday and Friday events (especially cube and sealed-deck), I assume that space is limited. Do we need to sign in advance somewhere to play in those? Or is it on a first-come, first-served basis?

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

hyvee_doughboy wrote:For the Thursday and Friday events (especially cube and sealed-deck), I assume that space is limited. Do we need to sign in advance somewhere to play in those? Or is it on a first-come, first-served basis?
typically first come first served. Cube events are fairly quick, so if you don't make it into one, go get something to eat and get in on the next one. There may also be multiple cubes available, so it shouldn't be too hard to get another cube filled up either.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Guys, seriously - please do NOT at all hesitate to sign up because of a bye. I all but guarantee that anyone who wants to play in Day 2 will have a chance to.

Sincerely,
2016 Cube Event #2 World Champion

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:2016 Cube Event #2 World Champion
This deserves an icon in your sig. :-D

JosephPhillips
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor

Post by JosephPhillips »

Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:Guys, seriously - please do NOT at all hesitate to sign up because of a bye. I all but guarantee that anyone who wants to play in Day 2 will have a chance to.

Sincerely,
2016 Cube Event #2 World Champion
Is there a plan to ensure this gets done? Any estimates on how many players need a bye vs players that already have byes playing on day 1 to pass them down? How many locals are expected to show up who need a bye? This will be my first worlds attendance and I have been unable to secure a bye. If it's 2am and 5 more people need a bye are we going to play until 6am and round up 5 players with a bye for a quick event?

I'm considering putting together a special event with our local players just for the bye so that I don't have to worry about it, but I'd rather not have to do that.
"Real wisdom is knowing when to learn from your own mistakes and when to learn from the mistakes of others."

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

I believe there is also a rule that if you play in 3 events on Day 1 you automatically qualify...

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”