Schedule of Events

Bloomington, MN
rhendon

Re: Schedule of Events (tentative)

Post by rhendon »

JosephPhillips wrote:
Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:Guys, seriously - please do NOT at all hesitate to sign up because of a bye. I all but guarantee that anyone who wants to play in Day 2 will have a chance to.

Sincerely,
2016 Cube Event #2 World Champion
Is there a plan to ensure this gets done? Any estimates on how many players need a bye vs players that already have byes playing on day 1 to pass them down? How many locals are expected to show up who need a bye? This will be my first worlds attendance and I have been unable to secure a bye. If it's 2am and 5 more people need a bye are we going to play until 6am and round up 5 players with a bye for a quick event?

I'm considering putting together a special event with our local players just for the bye so that I don't have to worry about it, but I'd rather not have to do that.
I can't answer any of the future questions but I can explain what happened last year. Last year on Friday (Thursday events are escaping my brain not sure I was in yet, but I want to say I was), we had a few early events where 2-4 people got byes. After those we had day 1 where half the field got byes. Then we had a sealed event that ended around 11ish where anyone left that didn't have them, got byes.

The way it works is that day 1 supplies byes for half the field. If half the field enter already have byes, then the rest of them get them no matter what. So what I would do as a TD would be to find out how many need byes and get that many more to sign up for day 1 that already have them. It can let them test their decks for tomorrow in a tournament event without people really paying attention to what they are playing, etc. It is a good system to allow for it.

JosephPhillips
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor

Post by JosephPhillips »

gogolen wrote:I believe there is also a rule that if you play in 3 events on Day 1 you automatically qualify...
This would be awesome to confirm. It's not like it's a huge deal, I just don't want to have to worry about playing competitively on day 1. I have my top decks that I plan to play on day 2 and it would be neat to just play a bunch of fun fred stuff on Thursday and Friday and not have the thought lingering in the back of my mind that there's a chance I just flew across the country for no reason.
"Real wisdom is knowing when to learn from your own mistakes and when to learn from the mistakes of others."

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

That literally would not happen. Just play enough on day 1 and you will find yourself in day 2. The main advantage (from a player's perspective) of already having the bye is not having to worry about the side events and just being able to spend day 1 doing what they want (either team tournament, goof decks day 1, tourist-y things etc.). Like it is definitely nice not having to worry about going thru the motions of the day 1 bye acquisition, but it is by no means a deterrent from showing up to play.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

rhendon wrote:
JosephPhillips wrote:
Indiana Jones Jedi Knight wrote:Guys, seriously - please do NOT at all hesitate to sign up because of a bye. I all but guarantee that anyone who wants to play in Day 2 will have a chance to.

Sincerely,
2016 Cube Event #2 World Champion
Is there a plan to ensure this gets done? Any estimates on how many players need a bye vs players that already have byes playing on day 1 to pass them down? How many locals are expected to show up who need a bye? This will be my first worlds attendance and I have been unable to secure a bye. If it's 2am and 5 more people need a bye are we going to play until 6am and round up 5 players with a bye for a quick event?

I'm considering putting together a special event with our local players just for the bye so that I don't have to worry about it, but I'd rather not have to do that.

I can't answer any of the future questions but I can explain what happened last year. Last year on Friday (Thursday events are escaping my brain not sure I was in yet, but I want to say I was), we had a few early events where 2-4 people got byes. After those we had day 1 where half the field got byes. Then we had a sealed event that ended around 11ish where anyone left that didn't have them, got byes.

The way it works is that day 1 supplies byes for half the field. If half the field enter already have byes, then the rest of them get them no matter what. So what I would do as a TD would be to find out how many need byes and get that many more to sign up for day 1 that already have them. It can let them test their decks for tomorrow in a tournament event without people really paying attention to what they are playing, etc. It is a good system to allow for it.
I would normally play in day 1 just to test but I think (assuming schedule is correct) it'd conflict with ability to play in team tournament and/or target field tour.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

Are there any other sealed events (is there time in the schedule) besides Thursday?
Just noticed that one is only 30 card decks and 4 packs.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

BYOS
Jerry H

Image Image

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:Are there any other sealed events (is there time in the schedule) besides Thursday?
Just noticed that one is only 30 card decks and 4 packs.
I bet there will be.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

quesosauce37 wrote:BYOS

This is very possible. I might have enough for 8 people.

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

Has this schedule of events been finalized?

Also, I see that for the Team Tournament, there aren't any byes set to be awarded. Is that correct?
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

Also, is the Sunday consolation tournament available to anyone who has paid (regardless of if they get a bye into Day 2)?

So if a buddy of mine can't make it Friday to qualify for Day 2, but paid to play in the main event, can he still play in the consolation on Sunday?
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

hyvee_doughboy wrote:Has this schedule of events been finalized?
Yeah. Other events may still be added, but what's listed should be final.
hyvee_doughboy wrote:Also, I see that for the Team Tournament, there aren't any byes set to be awarded. Is that correct?
Not really. Generally, the winning team gets the first byes to next year's worlds (since they'll most likely already have them for the current year). You'll notice that by looking at the bye thread. But if one or both of the members of the winning team need byes for the current year, I believe they have been awarded. I'd think that would be especially true this year since byes won't be a thing next year.
hyvee_doughboy wrote:Also, is the Sunday consolation tournament available to anyone who has paid (regardless of if they get a bye into Day 2)?

So if a buddy of mine can't make it Friday to qualify for Day 2, but paid to play in the main event, can he still play in the consolation on Sunday?
Yes it's open to everyone.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

hyvee_doughboy wrote:Also, is the Sunday consolation tournament available to anyone who has paid (regardless of if they get a bye into Day 2)?

The Sunday event is a completely separate event, so you can show up and just pay to play in that.
Everyone who plays in that event pays the same price-
(I think it's $10).

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

gogolen wrote:

The Sunday event is a completely separate event, so you can show up and just pay to play in that.
Everyone who plays in that event pays the same price-
(I think it's $10).
If your friend isn't playing on Saturday, then they don't need to pay $40 to play on Sunday, unless they just want to donate $ to the PC.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

I'm in for cube draft tonight. Maybe sealed.

Looking forward to seeing everyone
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”