Worlds q&a

Bloomington, MN
chriskelly
Design Advocate

Re: Worlds q&a

Post by chriskelly »

JediJer wrote:As far as I know, I don't have a team mate, so I'd be available to lose some games together :P
I also need a teammate for the team tournament if any other stragglers are looking for someone.

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Re: RE: Re: Worlds q&a

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

chriskelly wrote:
JediJer wrote:As far as I know, I don't have a team mate, so I'd be available to lose some games together :P
I also need a teammate for the team tournament if any other stragglers are looking for someone.
As the sole Montana rep I will need a teammate.. I would team with you if you want, Chris.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

I'm in. Your jobs are to (1) think of a cool team name and (2) carry the team.

Thanks!

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

fungineer wrote:To confirm, cam some explain how the deck checks work? Every card and the slip in front of it is checked right?
The tournament guide says the deck must match the decklist, which would include having the correct physical card and slip.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

puck71 wrote:
fungineer wrote:To confirm, cam some explain how the deck checks work? Every card and the slip in front of it is checked right?
The tournament guide says the deck must match the decklist, which would include having the correct physical card and slip.
However, some people are for the TD to use reason to decide which way the deck check is to go. So it will be whoever is TD'ing the event and up to their discretion. Personally, I always felt like you need to match what you write, but I'd check with the head TD when you get there.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

rhendon wrote:
puck71 wrote:
However, some people are for the TD to use reason to decide which way the deck check is to go. So it will be whoever is TD'ing the event and up to their discretion. Personally, I always felt like you need to match what you write, but I'd check with the head TD when you get there.
The tournament guide does go on to discuss what happens if things don't match, which can involve some TD discretion.
John Anderson

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Particularly for those who need to borrow cards, typically how many constconstructed decks do you bring? It seems like ideally it would be 3 per side. 1 for each constructed day, plus a few possible 61st cards. However that seems like it may impractical in a borrowing situation. What do most players do?
Last edited by fungineer on August 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

when im playing an event i ususally bring 4 decks per side, and a seperate box of commonly used utility/tech cards to add in
Jerry H

Image Image

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

puck71 wrote:
rhendon wrote:
puck71 wrote:
The tournament guide does go on to discuss what happens if things don't match, which can involve some TD discretion.

Yeah, IIRC, if it's obvious (like neglecting to write Bridge on their Blockade Flagship with three WMAOP and nothing synergistic with running the actual Blockade Flagship, or missing a required starting card for their objective) then the player is allowed to amend the list. If it's not obvious (like Arica V but forgetting to check the virtual box, or vice versa), then the deck must change to match the list. Nobody wants to ruin someone's tournament over an honest mistake.

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

Are there any good places to eat nearby that come highly recommended?

ARE THERE ANY PLACES WHERE I CAN EAT LOTS OF YUMMY CRAB???
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

Xanth wrote:Are there any good places to eat nearby that come highly recommended?
Nearby (like walking distance) you're basically going to be going to the hotel restaurant or the Mall of America (one light rail stop away, or the hotel does a free shuttle too). There are a lot of restaurants in the mall, of pretty much all types. I don't have any that I personally highly recommend, but there are some decent ones. For the most part they are on 3rd and 4th floor (but not exclusively).

Here are yelp reviews for restaurants in the mall: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=R ... gton%2C+MN

If you have more time (35ish minute train ride), you can take the light rail in the other direction to downtown Minneapolis, where they have also a ton of restaurants and bars. If there's anything specific you're looking for, I'd google it and see where it is. There will be plenty of locals with cars/uber/lyfy if there's a place you want to go.
Xanth wrote:ARE THERE ANY PLACES WHERE I CAN EAT LOTS OF YUMMY CRAB???
Baltimore. Seriously, yes I'm sure you can find crab on some menus but we're pretty far from the ocean to get really good fresh crab.
John Anderson

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

puck71 wrote:
Xanth wrote:ARE THERE ANY PLACES WHERE I CAN EAT LOTS OF YUMMY CRAB???
Baltimore.
:lol:

puck71

Post by puck71 »

puck71 wrote:The hotel is only two light rail stops from the airport, and one stop from the Mall of America. Do I need to buy a ticket for every trip?
Legally, yes. If they catch you without a ticket, the fine is $180. Personally, I feel you should always pay for and support public transit when you're using it. A one-way ride ticket is $2.25 during rush hour and $1.75 at other times (including all times on the weekend). You can also get a 24-hour pass for $6 if you'll be going back and forth a couple times. All the tickets can be bought at machines on the platforms.

Practically speaking, I have been stopped on the train and ticket checked occasionally, but not often. However, the platform at the Mall of America is a bit of a bottleneck, and they sometimes set up shop there and check EVERYONE'S tickets, so I would definitely not recommend trying to go to the mall without a ticket. You'd have a better chance of "saving" $1.75 (but really, is it worth it people?) on the trip to the airport.
John Anderson

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

puck71 wrote:
Xanth wrote:Are there any good places to eat nearby that come highly recommended?
Here are yelp reviews for restaurants in the mall: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=R ... gton%2C+MN
To save everyone the time, yes, it appears there is a Chipotle in the Mall of America. I just concluded everyone's necessary food research for the weekend.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

I'm so tired of Chipotle...

Thanks for all the suggestions John! I'll definitely try to check out the Mall of America- that sounds really fun =] WHO WANTS TO GO WITH ME?! :D
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
puck71 wrote:
To save everyone the time, yes, it appears there is a Chipotle in the Mall of America. I just concluded everyone's necessary food research for the weekend.
There definitely is. The line tends to be long but they move people through pretty quick. It's up on third floor near one of the food courts.
John Anderson

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

puck71 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:
puck71 wrote:
There definitely is. The line tends to be quite long.
That's an understatment.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

fungineer wrote:
puck71 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:
puck71 wrote:
That's an understatment.
They should have an order online app. Its really simple. Just use the app on your phone, and place your order. You can basically create what you want like you were there. They tell you a time it will be ready by. Then show up, skip line and grab food. You can pay through app too.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

rhendon wrote:
fungineer wrote:
puck71 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:
puck71 wrote:
That's an understatment.
They should have an order online app. Its really simple. Just use the app on your phone, and place your order. You can basically create what you want like you were there. They tell you a time it will be ready by. Then show up, skip line and grab food. You can pay through app too.
I use this sometimes, but even at the Chipotle downtown in the small village of Pittsburgh, the line is so long during lunch that if you don't order it by 9:30 or 10am, you won't be able to get lunch until after 1:00pm. I doubt you could use it for the mall of america to get Chipotle in 15 minutes if you try to order at lunch or dinner time on a weekend.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
rhendon wrote:
fungineer wrote:
puck71 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:
puck71 wrote:
That's an understatment.
I use this sometimes, but even at the Chipotle downtown in the small village of Pittsburgh, the line is so long during lunch that if you don't order it by 9:30 or 10am, you won't be able to get lunch until after 1:00pm. I doubt you could use it for the mall of america to get Chipotle in 15 minutes if you try to order at lunch or dinner time on a weekend.
Didn't have a problem with it at the Chipotle on campus at UT. I wonder if they just stop their online orders at Pitt rather than at UT. I think at worst, it gave me a time like 30 minutes later, but it isn't that hard to add in a quick already listed out order in the middle of a line. Most of the time, there is a decent gap between ordering parties.

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”