Worlds q&a

Bloomington, MN
AndrewK29
GEMP Username: AK29

Re: Worlds q&a

Post by AndrewK29 »

Just out of curiosity, will there be a door that leads directly to the room where worlds will be held or will we have to walk through the hotel and find the room?

Andrew Kline~ 49th place 2017 world championship

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

AndrewK29 wrote:Just out of curiosity, will there be a door that leads directly to the room where worlds will be held or will we have to walk through the hotel and find the room?
You'll have to walk through the hotel to find the room. If there's a door directly from the meeting room to outside, it's usually an emergency exit.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

puck71 wrote:
AndrewK29 wrote:Just out of curiosity, will there be a door that leads directly to the room where worlds will be held or will we have to walk through the hotel and find the room?
You'll have to walk through the hotel to find the room. If there's a door directly from the meeting room to outside, it's usually an emergency exit.
Depends on the hotel. In Seattle there was a door that opened right to the outside. You have to have someone in the room to let you in, since it's always locked, but it wasn't an emergency exit.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

JediJer wrote:
puck71 wrote:
Depends on the hotel. In Seattle there was a door that opened right to the outside. You have to have someone in the room to let you in, since it's always locked, but it wasn't an emergency exit.
Yeah, the San Diego hotel had great direct outside access too for some "relaxation" time. But that's more the exception than the rule I've found. Especially at the bigger hotels, the meeting/convention space usually seems to be "landlocked" inside the hotel.
John Anderson

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Does the hotel have a place to print decklists?

puck71

Post by puck71 »

chriskelly wrote:Does the hotel have a place to print decklists?
They have a business center which usually includes a printer. Plus we should have a printer in the game room, assuming someone brings one?
John Anderson

AndrewK29

Post by AndrewK29 »

puck71 wrote:
Ok is there a specific room name or something?

AndrewK29

Post by AndrewK29 »

Or should I just ask the staff where the Star Wars event is

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

AndrewK29 wrote:Or should I just ask the staff where the Star Wars event is
Just do this. Go to the front desk and tell them you are here for the Star Wars event. They'll direct you where to go. It will then be that room every day, or should be.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

If you can't find it, ask the staff. Usually it's not hard to find though.
John Anderson

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

https://bloomington.regency.hyatt.com/c ... 010317.pdf

Not sure which room it will be in, but it's probably one of the Stone Arch rooms or one of the ones next to it.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

From past email chains, it appears we are in the Stone Arch room. I'm guessing from floor plans I've seen they are making the rooms 1 instead of 2.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

puck71 wrote:
puck71 wrote:The hotel is only two light rail stops from the airport, and one stop from the Mall of America. Do I need to buy a ticket for every trip?
Legally, yes. If they catch you without a ticket, the fine is $180. Personally, I feel you should always pay for and support public transit when you're using it. A one-way ride ticket is $2.25 during rush hour and $1.75 at other times (including all times on the weekend). You can also get a 24-hour pass for $6 if you'll be going back and forth a couple times. All the tickets can be bought at machines on the platforms.

Practically speaking, I have been stopped on the train and ticket checked occasionally, but not often. However, the platform at the Mall of America is a bit of a bottleneck, and they sometimes set up shop there and check EVERYONE'S tickets, so I would definitely not recommend trying to go to the mall without a ticket. You'd have a better chance of "saving" $1.75 (but really, is it worth it people?) on the trip to the airport.
Are these actually 24-hour tickets or are they day passes? If I buy one at 2pm on Thursday, I'm good until 2pm on Friday?
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Looks like there's an app you can download and buy your tickets
https://www.metrotransit.org/app

all day passes are good for the day you bought it until 2am. So if you bought it at 2pm Thursday, you'd be good until 2am friday. If you bought it at 12:30am Friday, you'd be good until 2am Saturday, etc.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

TacoBill wrote:
puck71 wrote:
puck71 wrote:The hotel is only two light rail stops from the airport, and one stop from the Mall of America. Do I need to buy a ticket for every trip?
Legally, yes. If they catch you without a ticket, the fine is $180. Personally, I feel you should always pay for and support public transit when you're using it. A one-way ride ticket is $2.25 during rush hour and $1.75 at other times (including all times on the weekend). You can also get a 24-hour pass for $6 if you'll be going back and forth a couple times. All the tickets can be bought at machines on the platforms.

Practically speaking, I have been stopped on the train and ticket checked occasionally, but not often. However, the platform at the Mall of America is a bit of a bottleneck, and they sometimes set up shop there and check EVERYONE'S tickets, so I would definitely not recommend trying to go to the mall without a ticket. You'd have a better chance of "saving" $1.75 (but really, is it worth it people?) on the trip to the airport.
Are these actually 24-hour tickets or are they day passes? If I buy one at 2pm on Thursday, I'm good until 2pm on Friday?
They actually have both types. A 24-hour pass is $6 and is good for 24 hours from first use (or from when you buy it, I'm not actually sure if it's activated right away or if you have to scan it to activate it). The "day pass" is good until 2am the day/night you buy it, and the cost is on a sliding scale depending how late in the day you buy it ($3.50 to $4.50)

https://www.metrotransit.org/all-day-pass

Those can both be good options, in addition to the one-way ticket like when you're just going to the airport.

I haven't used the app, but I know people do and I think I've heard it works pretty well. But the ticket machines are pretty easy to use and there aren't usually huge lines to get to them.
John Anderson

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

Xanth wrote:I'm so tired of Chipotle...

Thanks for all the suggestions John! I'll definitely try to check out the Mall of America- that sounds really fun =] WHO WANTS TO GO WITH ME?! :D

i defintely have to go to the candy store that was recommended in the peeps thread, they have amazing looking candies
Jerry H

Image Image

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Is the hot sauce store still there? I've had at least once where I had to run to the bathroom and vomit as soon as possible after tasting some much too hot sauces.

Also, the food may not be the top choice, it is a chain, and a little pricey, but the experience at "Dick's Last Resort" is definitely a unique one.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

In addition to the custom ai, are cards with signatures/drawings/etc. also against current guidelines?
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

fungineer wrote:In addition to the custom ai, are cards with signatures/drawings/etc. also against current guidelines?
No, as long as it's on the card itself and doesn't change the thickness significantly.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

AndrewK29

Post by AndrewK29 »

fungineer wrote:Is the hot sauce store still there? I've had at least once where I had to run to the bathroom and vomit as soon as possible after tasting some much too hot sauces.

Also, the food may not be the top choice, it is a chain, and a little pricey, but the experience at "Dick's Last Resort" is definitely a unique one.
Dicks last resort is diffidently a unique place all right...

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”