Worlds q&a

Bloomington, MN
arebelspy

Re: Worlds q&a

Post by arebelspy »

Question about the semi-quasi-unofficial "run events until everyone who wants a bye gets one policy."

If it's 11:30pm Fri night (or 6:00am Saturday morning, for that matter), and I don't have a bye, and I want to have an event that awards byes (pretend a cube, or sealed, or whatever):
1) Who do I notify? How can I be sure I can get ahold of them?

2) Who do I pay, and how much would it cost (ignore costs of packs or whatever for sealed, just the amount due the PC)? Does this change if it awards 1 bye? If it awards 2? If it awards byes to half the entrants?

3) What sort of "notification" do I need to do for others that may be interested in the event?

JimmyFrench
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by JimmyFrench »

arebelspy wrote:Question about the semi-quasi-unofficial "run events until everyone who wants a bye gets one policy."

If it's 11:30pm Fri night (or 6:00am Saturday morning, for that matter), and I don't have a bye, and I want to have an event that awards byes (pretend a cube, or sealed, or whatever):

2) Who do I pay, and how much would it cost (ignore costs of packs or whatever for sealed, just the amount due the PC)? Does this change if it awards 1 bye? If it awards 2? If it awards byes to half the entrants?

3) What sort of "notification" do I need to do for others that may be interested in the event?
Give him a Wild Card. :yes:

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:Question about the semi-quasi-unofficial "run events until everyone who wants a bye gets one policy."

1. I would assume you'd need to tell the official TD for the event. I would also assume you need at least 3 other entrants as well (cor regionals/dan regionals precedence set this).

2. Pay TD. I believe the only event that lets in half is day 1 open. All other events I believe are 2 bye ones.

3. Knock on every hotel room and wake everyone up in the hotel to let them know you are running a tournament for a bye. Bonus points awarded if you are in a nightgown.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

If you want to do sealed you probably need to find Scott or Gogolen. If you want to cube, there's usually someone who's left as holder of the cube.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote:

1. I would assume you'd need to tell the official TD for the event. I would also assume you need at least 3 other entrants as well (cor regionals/dan regionals precedence set this).

2. Pay TD. I believe the only event that lets in half is day 1 open. All other events I believe are 2 bye ones.

3. Knock on every hotel room and wake everyone up in the hotel to let them know you are running a tournament for a bye. Bonus points awarded if you are in a nightgown.

1) What if I am the TD? What if my roommate volunteers to be TD?

2. This doesn't answer anything about the cost (I was asking the amount due the PC).

3. This is not a serious answer. My questions are serious. Cheers!
puck71 wrote:If you want to do sealed you probably need to find Scott or Gogolen. If you want to cube, there's usually someone who's left as holder of the cube.
Let's pretend I already have sealed packs, or have in my possession a cube, or we're doing constructed (a, I believe they call them, "mini open").

Can someone official answer my questions, all of them remain unanswered despite the two above.

Thanks!

puck71

Post by puck71 »

He meant the head TD for the whole weekend, not for the individual event you'll be running.
John Anderson

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

puck71 wrote:He meant the head TD for the whole weekend, not for the individual event you'll be running.
Okay. Thanks for the clarification!

Who would that be? What if they can't be found? What if they are sleeping, do we disturb them? Are there particular office hours for said TD?

Also, who actually has the authority/knowledge to answer these questions?

Schoe, probably. Anyone else?

puck71

Post by puck71 »

Probably only Schoe.

In the past couple years, Scott has kinda wrangled any extra tournaments if they were needed.
John Anderson

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

arebelspy wrote:
puck71 wrote:He meant the head TD for the whole weekend, not for the individual event you'll be running.
Okay. Thanks for the clarification!

Who would that be? What if they can't be found? What if they are sleeping, do we disturb them? Are there particular office hours for said TD?

Also, who actually has the authority/knowledge to answer these questions?

Schoe, probably. Anyone else?
Scott. Maybe someone else designated to run events.
I've only been to worlds once, but Friday night everyone that didn't have a bye already was in the game room, so we gathered together and ran events until everyone was taken care of. The last event only had two people that needed a bye, so the 4 person requirement wasn't enforced and both of us got the bye we needed.

Cost is probably going to depend on the event, but probably would be around $10. All money for the event would go to the PC, I don't think there would be a different cost for the number of byes awarded.

While I think these questions are good questions, all you need to know is that if you hang out in the main room, someone will be there to make sure you're taken care of.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

JediJer wrote:While I think these questions are good questions, all you need to know is that if you hang out in the main room, someone will be there to make sure you're taken care of.
Yeah. That may just not be feasible at times.

I'm not trying to nitpick or pepper unnecessarily w/ questions, I'd just like to be clear on the process of getting an event going if byes are needed.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
JediJer wrote:While I think these questions are good questions, all you need to know is that if you hang out in the main room, someone will be there to make sure you're taken care of.
Yeah. That may just not be feasible at times.

I'm not trying to nitpick or pepper unnecessarily w/ questions, I'd just like to be clear on the process of getting an event going if byes are needed.
I don't think there is an official process for this. In years past, we ran events until everyone had a bye. No one was getting in at an odd hour that required us to do this (or another valid reason if you have one).

I think the best solution would be to tell the worlds TD (I don't know who, it isn't me and not sure who is taking my spot) as soon as possible. The cost should be comparable to other events. You can look up the cost of cube, sealed, constructed events and use that. If you wanted, you could pay on Saturday after the event was run (in case it isn't) to the TD that is doing signups that day.
imrahil327 wrote:signal
Hopefully Schoe sees this and can answer your questions more directly. If not, I'd say PM him and ask him. You could also ask Scott at the event as well.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

rhendon wrote:I think the best solution would be to tell the worlds TD (I don't know who, it isn't me and not sure who is taking my spot)
It's Hayes
John Anderson

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Texted him as well for Joe.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote:Texted him as well for Joe.
Thanks rhendon!

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Today is a bad day for forum browsing at work for me (VP in the office). I'll provide more detail this evening, if necessary. Obviously I should be notified as soon as possible if someone has concerns about making the 9pm Friday event. Lots of people have my number. This is PC policy * that Scho will likely need to address, but in the future, to CYA we should probably include something on the schedule like "12am last minute qualifier - as necessary - start time subject to change."

TLDR is that I will accommodate anyone needing a bye as much as I am able to, within reason.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

Isn't it nice that this is the last year we need to worry about byes??
John Anderson

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

puck71 wrote:Isn't it nice that this is the last year we need to worry about byes??
Byes are good. World is going to end from what I hear.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

If this unlikely situation occurs, just PM me and I will pass it along to the TD (Hayes, as stated before). Joe, if this is for you specifically, we set a precedent in years past that since you do not live in America, you do not require a bye.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Hayes wrote:Obviously I should be notified as soon as possible if someone has concerns about making the 9pm Friday event.
My concern wouldn't be about making the event, but if there are more people that still need byes than that event awards. If a normal event gives out two byes, but 6 people need byes by that 9pm point, we'll need 2 more events besides that 9pm one.

I'm just thinking that this year has a fair amount of extra "locals" who may not have gotten byes yet, and they could be competing in Friday events and thus make it harder to get a bye Friday.

I could be totally wrong, and it's all a moot point, and there's only 2 people needing byes by 9pm, but I just wanted to be clear on what the procedure was in the case that there needed to be extra events, how exactly one makes that happen.

Thanks for the clarifications Messieurs Hayes and Schoenthal! :-D
imrahil327 wrote:Joe, if this is for you specifically, we set a precedent in years past that since you do not live in America, you do not require a bye.
Oh cool! Someone mentioned in the slack chat that this had been done in the past for any European traveling to the States for worlds (and was also done for any American traveling over there during the Euro worlds year), but wasn't sure Canada counted. :lol:

It has been hard to find events in the countries I've been in this year--Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and Canada. Yay Gemp though!

(P.S. Please no one tell MHT about this rule, or another of the day 3 slots gets filled. ..Just kidding. Someone should definitely tell him to come.)

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
I'm just thinking that this year has a fair amount of extra "locals" who may not have gotten byes yet, and they could be competing in Friday events and thus make it harder to get a bye Friday.
If this is the case, then as many people as possible should play in day 1. Just sign up, play a game or 2 against the locals, meet them, hang out and have fun. Then drop and play in team event or do whatever. Half of the entrants into day 1 receive a bye. If more people who have a bye, show up, register, play a bit, then drop, it helps give out those byes to those who need it.

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”