Worlds q&a

Bloomington, MN
arebelspy

Re: Worlds q&a

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
I'm just thinking that this year has a fair amount of extra "locals" who may not have gotten byes yet, and they could be competing in Friday events and thus make it harder to get a bye Friday.
If this is the case, then as many people as possible should play in day 1. Just sign up, play a game or 2 against the locals, meet them, hang out and have fun. Then drop and play in team event or do whatever. Half of the entrants into day 1 receive a bye. If more people who have a bye, show up, register, play a bit, then drop, it helps give out those byes to those who need it.
That's smart! Would it cost those players any money, or is day 1 included in their day 2 fee?

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

arebelspy wrote:
rhendon wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
I'm just thinking that this year has a fair amount of extra "locals" who may not have gotten byes yet, and they could be competing in Friday events and thus make it harder to get a bye Friday.
If this is the case, then as many people as possible should play in day 1. Just sign up, play a game or 2 against the locals, meet them, hang out and have fun. Then drop and play in team event or do whatever. Half of the entrants into day 1 receive a bye. If more people who have a bye, show up, register, play a bit, then drop, it helps give out those byes to those who need it.
That's smart! Would it cost those players any money, or is day 1 included in their day 2 fee?
Worlds Friday Constructed Event- Open Format
Event starts at 1:00 PM
-$10.00
-Open to all players (even those with a Day 2 bye)
-Open Constructed Deck Format
-Six Games Swiss Pairings- Strength of Schedule scoring
-Top 50% advance to Day 2 (minimum 4 players)
- Prizes- TBA

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

arebelspy wrote:
Hayes wrote:Obviously I should be notified as soon as possible if someone has concerns about making the 9pm Friday event.
My concern wouldn't be about making the event, but if there are more people that still need byes than that event awards. If a normal event gives out two byes, but 6 people need byes by that 9pm point, we'll need 2 more events besides that 9pm one.

I could be totally wrong, and it's all a moot point, and there's only 2 people needing byes by 9pm, but I just wanted to be clear on what the procedure was in the case that there needed to be extra events, how exactly one makes that happen.

Thanks for the clarifications Messieurs Hayes and Schoenthal! :-D
imrahil327 wrote:Joe, if this is for you specifically, we set a precedent in years past that since you do not live in America, you do not require a bye.
Oh cool! Someone mentioned in the slack chat that this had been done in the past for any European traveling to the States for worlds (and was also done for any American traveling over there during the Euro worlds year), but wasn't sure Canada counted. :lol:

It has been hard to find events in the countries I've been in this year--Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and Canada. Yay Gemp though!

(P.S. Please no one tell MHT about this rule, or another of the day 3 slots gets filled. ..Just kidding. Someone should definitely tell him to come.)
Historically, I don't think Canadians get the auto-bye. However, I believe you've been outside North America more during the past year than you were in Canada, right? To me, that counts as being overseas.
Also, when was the last time a Canadian actually traveled to a US event? Seems like we gave them Worlds in Toronto and then they quit. (or maybe we lost them all with the reset? :??? )

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

JediJer wrote: Historically, I don't think Canadians get the auto-bye. However, I believe you've been outside North America more during the past year than you were in Canada, right? To me, that counts as being overseas.
Also, when was the last time a Canadian actually traveled to a US event? Seems like we gave them Worlds in Toronto and then they quit. (or maybe we lost them all with the reset? :??? )
Yes, for this past tournament season I've been in N.A. 3 of the 12 months (and 4 of the last 24 months; two of those in the States--where I attended an event, the Seattle GP 2016, and two of them in Canada).

We should totally push to get some of the Canadians back into it. It'd be great to see Cole!

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

JediJer wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
rhendon wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
Worlds Friday Constructed Event- Open Format
Event starts at 1:00 PM
-$10.00
-Open to all players (even those with a Day 2 bye)
-Open Constructed Deck Format
-Six Games Swiss Pairings- Strength of Schedule scoring
-Top 50% advance to Day 2 (minimum 4 players)
- Prizes- TBA
It also doesn't interfere with anything. They can play in it and win some prizes for some last minute testing and also help out people in need. No idea how many people will need it this year, but it could be a fair bit. If so, then it isn't like some people can't afford to throw 10 bucks to the PC as a donation.

Last year it ran at same time as team event and wasn't in as good of a spot to help out. We still had 18 with 9 needing/getting byes. So it worked out. I think I may have asked some people to sign up to help out.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Requiring decklists for day 1 (which I don't think was done previous years, and who looks at anyways when there's day 2 and 3 stuff?) may kill randoms jumping in. Filling out decklists is a pain if you don't have them electronically. But hopefully some kind souls will jump in for those needing byes. :)

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:Requiring decklists for day 1 (which I don't think was done previous years, and who looks at anyways when there's day 2 and 3 stuff?) may kill randoms jumping in. Filling out decklists is a pain if you don't have them electronically. But hopefully some kind souls will jump in for those needing byes. :)
Oh yea. Didn't see that. Hayes won't deckcheck during day 1. Just put on decklist this is my day 2 decklist.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote:
arebelspy wrote:Requiring decklists for day 1 (which I don't think was done previous years, and who looks at anyways when there's day 2 and 3 stuff?) may kill randoms jumping in. Filling out decklists is a pain if you don't have them electronically. But hopefully some kind souls will jump in for those needing byes. :)
Oh yea. Didn't see that. Hayes won't deckcheck during day 1. Just put on decklist this is my day 2 decklist.
And then day 2 decklist is "see day 1"?

:lol:

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

I hope Steve0 does his +/- hand photos for decklists again. That was a thing of beauty.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

I need a partner for the team tournament...I can likely guarantee you will not win :)
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

fungineer wrote:I need a partner for the team tournament...I can likely guarantee you will not win :)
I'll be your partner.

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”