Bloomington, MN
Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Items needed for worlds

Post by Advocate »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone local has the following items

Monitor for the commentary team (they need a second screen)
Printer to just print the pairings between each round

@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

JediJer
Administrator

Re: Items needed for worlds

Post by JediJer »

Advocate wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone local has the following items

Monitor for the commentary team (they need a second screen)
Printer to just print the pairings between each round
Would be nice if we could just put the pairings on a big tv or projector or something rather than printing it out. Would make it easier for everyone to see at the same time and would only require an HDMI cable and a TV. Wouldn't have to worry about paper, ink, other technical issues.

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

We could do that but it would cost us $350 a day to have a TV

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

i'm assuming we get to keep the tv, for that price?

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jimli »

Fine fine, I can bring a TV and a monitor.

Don't have a working printer though.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

darkjediknight11 wrote:i'm assuming we get to keep the tv, for that price?
seriously. I would think that it would be more like $35 a day to use a tv. Does the room not have a projector screen that we could use?

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

I can bring a printer. Just let me know if we are using a PC or a Mac so I can get the right drivers to whoever is operating it.

I also have a projector if we decide to go that route instead. I'm not sure how well it would show up on walls though depending on the lighting in the room. We'd also have to make sure we have the right hookups (I don't recall if it's VGA or DVI, but can check if you guys want to pursue that idea)
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

It's counter intuitive for us tech guys, but just printing the pairings tends to work the best at big events like this.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

puck71 wrote:It's counter intuitive for us tech guys, but just printing the pairings tends to work the best at big events like this.
With the potential for 60-70 players to be there, the only way I see printing as being beneficial is if you print like 5 copies that get passed around and only a few people can see the page at once. Why go through that hassle when you can show it on a tv where all players can see it at once?
Also, it seems like a waste of paper and ink.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

JediJer wrote:
puck71 wrote:It's counter intuitive for us tech guys, but just printing the pairings tends to work the best at big events like this.
With the potential for 60-70 players to be there, the only way I see printing as being beneficial is if you print like 5 copies that get passed around and only a few people can see the page at once. Why go through that hassle when you can show it on a tv where all players can see it at once?
or post it on the forums. we all have cell phones.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

JediJer wrote:
Generally you print a couple copies and tape them to the wall. People go up and look, find their table number, and sit down. It's pretty efficient actually, even with like 150 people.
John Anderson

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

puck71 wrote:
JediJer wrote:
Generally you print a couple copies and tape them to the wall. People go up and look, find their table number, and sit down. It's pretty efficient actually, even with like 150 people.
For reference, Magic tournaments with 2K players still use paper pairings.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

Hmm except I forget if the software does table numbers??
John Anderson

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

puck71 wrote:Hmm except I forget if the software does table numbers??
It does.

This is exactly how we did it at Worlds last year. Was one of the bright spots of that weekend

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

I for one will miss Kim shouting at everyone to shut up four times, then someone with a louder voice having to shout at everyone, then her shouting the pairings.

Every round.

But wall printouts do seem more efficient.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

arebelspy wrote:I for one will miss Kim shouting at everyone to shut up four times, then someone with a louder voice having to shout at everyone, then her shouting the pairings.

Every round.

But wall printouts do seem more efficient.
:lol: :lol:
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

puck71 wrote:Hmm except I forget if the software does table numbers??
This reminds me that I need to get the sheets with table numbers printed out and laminated before I go to the airport.

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Apollyon
GEMP Username: Apollyon

Post by Apollyon »

imrahil327 wrote:
puck71 wrote:
JediJer wrote:
For reference, Magic tournaments with 2K players still use paper pairings.
I can confirm that paper pairings are commonly used at Magic events, including the 1k+ player Grand Prixs. You post them on the wall (or zip banners!), people find their name and their seat.

With 2k players, it takes a couple of minutes for everyone to find their seats. It turns out that it's not much faster with only 100.

(My apologies if the tournament software does this next section already, I haven't used it at all)

I'd suggest 2 pairings boards with players listed alphabetically, if possible. Listing pairings by table becomes a bottleneck as people need to scan the whole page early on, instead of the section with their last name.

The most useful thing is paper result slips that you turn in to whoever's taking results. That way, you win, you fill it out that you win, both people sign it, you run it up, then do stuff. The result person doesn't need to be there all the time, so they'll have time to hit the bathroom or get food.

puck71

Post by puck71 »

Apollyon wrote:I'd suggest 2 pairings boards with players listed alphabetically, if possible. Listing pairings by table becomes a bottleneck as people need to scan the whole page early on, instead of the section with their last name.
It does two lists, dark and light side, both alphabetical. So it works quite well.
Apollyon wrote:The most useful thing is paper result slips that you turn in to whoever's taking results. That way, you win, you fill it out that you win, both people sign it, you run it up, then do stuff. The result person doesn't need to be there all the time, so they'll have time to hit the bathroom or get food.
We probably don't have enough players to NEED to do results slips, but if someone has time to make them, they can certainly help speed things up for the TD.
John Anderson

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Apollyon
GEMP Username: Apollyon

Post by Apollyon »

puck71 wrote:
Apollyon wrote:The most useful thing is paper result slips that you turn in to whoever's taking results. That way, you win, you fill it out that you win, both people sign it, you run it up, then do stuff. The result person doesn't need to be there all the time, so they'll have time to hit the bathroom or get food.
We probably don't have enough players to NEED to do results slips, but if someone has time to make them, they can certainly help speed things up for the TD.
That might be something to put on the software roadmap, then.

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”