Bloomington, MN
fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

White People Like _Gary_: A World's TR

Post by fungineer »

This was my very first World's and my first major in general. I've gone to a couple of states and regional in the Nal Hutta area, and a few team tournaments in Bespin in the past. Outside of that all of my play is either local casual, kitchen table, or online. I'm not a great player, nor have I claimed to be, but I do have fun.

First and foremost, it's really good getting out there "into the real world" to see what things are really like for the competitive Star Wars CCG players. The various volunteer roles I've come into (rules and player card design mainly) are merely due to determination, attention to detail, and love for the game. I can say I gained a lot of valuable insight (albeit from casual conservation and/or complaints) from some of the other players (Stephen Skilton and Chris Kelly primarily), to really see the value that development plays in the role of card creation as well as ways to improve player card design. (As well happiness that I'm not on that team, but improvement I can place into my own role).

Okay to the TR itself.

Deck building sucks. Physical deck-building sucks even more. I really enjoy being able to use GEMP/holotable/etc and to sort my cards be title, and remove the cards I don't need, and best of all...having all the cards. I don't have such a luxury in real life. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy building ideas and so forth, but I have all my cards sorted by type, not by rarity, so it takes a while to sort through everything, then I'll grab a stack and they fall all over the floor, etc. Fun times. Between crabby kids and late nights I think I worked over a course of 2 weeks to get my portion of cards done for my DS and LS decks. I wanted to bring 3 decks for each side just to have some variety over the weekend. (2) watto builds and a Vine Snake+Dark Hours EOPS deck for DS, and OA, RTP, and Vine Snakes+Ewok Spears for LS (Snakes were for the team tournament as except for the top teams it seems to be a "play whatever" type of event.

I will say this for the community: they are very supportive about loaning out cards. I was missing most of the rares for any of my decks. Through threads I got a handful from Queso, another few from Plumbertim, and the remainder from Ming for my LS decks. Even with the generous community then I had so many holes for DS it was like 30+ cards for any of my DS decks. As such, Ming just let me borrow his entire Hoth CRv deck for the weekend.

As time grew closer, I played a lot on GEMP and was up late deck building every night I could in anticipation. It almost felt like Christmas as a kid for the excitement...although that may be just as I got to skip out of work on a Friday.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Friday I left the house around 6:45 am, 45 minutes later than expected for my 5 hour drive. I tend to stop more than I should and had like 4 hours of sleep so I must've drank 2 energy drinks and like 6 Pepsi (I live on Pepsi, likely so does my dentist) on the way up, stopping every couple hours. I was able to arrange to stay with Chris Kelly and some others in the hotel, but was unable to find anyone to split a ride with. As such, I was left alone on my way up. Not much eventful. I finished my last Star Wars audio book available to me within the first hour and the library had no copies of my pending items left. Radio the whole way. There's a section between Madison and Eau Claire where it's nothing but country stations for the most part. Ew. I did hear someone impersonating Trump as being a reliable person you should listen to in an attempt to sell cars. I found that funny. Also sang every part of Bohemian Rhapsody (including the instrumental portions) which is a must whenever that song comes on.

I got to the hotel around 12:15. It was nicer than I expected after hearing the tales of last year's swamp bathroom, and was the type of place I likely wouldn't choose to spend the money on myself. After fumbling around to find a parking spot where hopefully I wouldn't get towed, I rushed to find queso to get the cards I needed.I had never met him, and thus had no idea who I was looking for, so I asked around. Heard he went to Target field so I was sort of SOL. Luckily, Ming was there so I had the cards for Old Allies and the entire Hoth CRv deck. Rushed to make up the deck lists and got them submitted for Day 1, 5 minutes past time.

No need to go into all the games for Day 1, but the highlight was playing Hoth CRv vs EBO. I don't recall who my opponent was (I have a horrible memory sometimes). Having my opponent not being able to play the 4th Marker was great, as he drew it for destiny at least 3 times. I'm pretty sure I still lost as my opponent had all the needed counters to keep my pings in check, and keep me from draining by knocking me off only battlegrounds on table. Once I lost Hoth I was done for.

About the 6th round, sign ups for team tournament were coming around. Jedi Jer agreed to be my partner (where I warned him I would not win). However, I screwed up and didn't realize the games overlapped one another. Whoops. I was pretty bummed but then also didn't want to let Jermey without a partner. As such, Walseth took my spot (at least temperarally) where the team go renamed from "Rules Schmoozes" to "We play bad decks"....still fitting.

I finished up the day one tournament, with 1 win (I think?) and felt good that I actually won a game. They gave out prizes for participation (perhaps just intended for "Walseths kids" or the lower finishers, I'm not sure, but just the same I was given a pack of Theed and 3 rares. I picked out my own copy of Rescue the princess, so I wouldn't actually need the one I was borrowing for the next day. They had extras so an additional pack of Tatooine was passed my way. I felt really bad opening them, but at the same time, it was fun to open them. Especially as I got a Tat maul out of it.

Through approval by the TD and Walseth wanting to not be playing, I was able to sub back into the team tournament for 1 game. I did get exactly the reaction I expected when I sat down in front of Gogolen and tried to play my ewok snakes deck...."what the?" However, as the unique ewoks I needed were no where to be found, (wicket mainly) the deck didn't do much, only drew one destiny, and I spent 3/4's of the game never seeing one of my 5 spears. As such, I was beat to a bloody pulp at -32. I had warned JediJer I wouldn't do well...

The cube started up, during team tournament, but time was already late, and I was told I got a bye from Day 1, so I headed off to bed. Despite sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor, I got more restful sleep than I have in some time. Probably as my kid wasn't in my bed like most of the time when I'm at home.

Day 2. I did get the missing cards for my Rescue the Princess deck from Queso the day before, and I filled in the 2 missing cards from Tim. I knew full well that RTP wasn't likely to win much, if anything, in a tournament environment, but it's one of my favorite decks, so I was happy to play it. I'd had a build I've been using on GEMP for a while, based on some of the previous decklist contest stuff + the Rogue One spies and EPVII "mains". It's somewhat inconsistent (which is typicallly my problem with deckbuilding) as I either don't dedicate enough to pulling stuff, or am really okay floating stuff more than I should be. I often feel too many pullers makes the game no fun, but then again, I typically lose.

During breakfast, I was able to pass my musical Cantina card over to plumbertim. I was really hoping I would get a chance to hear someone do the cantina shuffle to "every day i'm shuffling"...followed by the Bith Jizz hit: "Mad about Me." Sadly no such luck.

I don't remember the specifics of most of my games so I can't really go into depth on most of them. However here's what I can remember:
Parings were given on paper but also post on the forums which was super nice as nearly everyone had a cell phone and wi-fi from the hotel. My name was spelled wrong, but otherwise it was pretty clear.

It's really a shame that I don't remember much of my games. Looking back at the pairings I can picture each of the guys, but most of them I have no clue what they beat me with. Once I see posted decklists I can fill in some of the (many) blanks.

Most of my DS matches (1 - Sam Olson, 6 - Mike Turner, and 8 - Jan Berueda) I typically had the same issues: I either wasn't able to get past coward, or my opponent avoid Hoth so much that they won the drain race. Also in one game an opponent did actually take out my walkers with OA rogue speeders and I just wasn't able to get retake hoth again. My apologize to Mike Turner especially, as I was so tired he nearly had to call the TD over for my screw-up on a rule. I felt sheepish for sure. Corrected, with no harm done.

Round 3 was a bye. Typically, I don't like byes as I'd rather play (and lose) but it was right at lunch time so instead of going 12 hours without food like everyone else, I was happy to sneak over the the Mall of America and get some food, even if I did spend just as much as I would on a buger at the hotel.

For LS - all of my opponents had a similar reaction. RTP...um...okay. Most also needed to read the cards multiple times as few had ever seen it played in the last 15 years.

Game 2 - Fernando Souza. I believe this is the game where my opponent played TTO (I should have written this down). But I think this game went to time (unless that was game 1). This was the most effective game I had because I open handed the falcon, luke, plus Artoo in red 5. I got luke and ship to endor quickly and backed it up soon after with the falcon. As he was playing black sun he didn't run scythes so he choose not to build the DS II but instead just fight me off of draining through coward and taking the system. I fought back and forth for a while but never got the +5 drain. On turn 2 or 3 I was able to release Leia from the prison and get her all the way home on the same turn. However, I don't think i accomplished much from that point as we grinded away at each other until time was called.

Game 4 - Dennis Reinhardt. I'm not positive but I think it was this game I played against Hoth CRv. Unlike my opponents, I was not prepared to face against it, as I had no Honor, nor What Chance do we have in my deck. I got pinged all game. I was able to free leia, although it took slightly longer. I didn't really get a chance to battle them away due to fear of exposure, so my flip side didn't do much for me. I think this is one of the games that was getting re-drawn due to someone playing the wrong side or something. My previous matchup was TTO, which I felt better about due to the previous showing.

Game 5 - Mid-day swap sides to start LS again. I played Tom Marlin (aka Hyvee Doughboy). It's funny, not seeing people before I tend to just imagine them as their avatar (I don't know why). He did not look like Ron Livingston from Office Space. This was a match whereas I knew my RTP wouldn't be very effective - Invasion. Between no imperials and few unique I didn't have much I could do. He was running Maul and a handful of Nemonians (more nemonians than I'm used to), but I just couldn't get it to work. I remember trying to take Naboo as soon as he flipped, but I couldn't quite cover the forfeit fodder where he'd have to. I never got the opportunity to send maul or Nute lost so the throne room stay secure. I freed liea this game, and moved her, slowly, the war room. By the time I got there, I took the moral victory and scooped.

Game 7 - Andrew Kline's Hunt Down. Seeing hunt down I was both happy and sad. I knew he'd have a few imperials, and unique (vader) for sure. I wasn't so happy about Visage, nor about skywalkers not draining. It was a tough battle, but I had to spread my sources too thin. Instead of focusing on Leia, I had chosen to place Jyn at the back door to prevent drains and K2S0 on executor to cancel visage. I lost Corran and my mercenary armor along the way, so it was a while before I drew into another spy to free leia. I was expected to get my cover broken, or trampled, or something at the back door but it never happened. However, It was still one of those games where once I freed leia I didn't do much else and my opponent pulled out the win.

Overall for the day I finished in 57th place (of 59) and that was only due to the bye. I was still very happy with the day. I would have liked an actual win, but I took the one from the day before as good enough. It was a long day. I had another burger at the hotel bar, this time with Tim, Andy, and some others. The burger was better the night before, but still good on a light stomach. Night went on and it was time for other games.

I played "Secret Hitler" for the first time with a group of people. Being facists, it was enjoyable to accuse a good-guy libral Advocate (Scott) of out-right lying about the cards I gave him. He had sort of a "deer in the headlights" kind of look, like WTF are you talking about. The team nearly shot him, and I was hoping for that (especially when he stepped out of the room), however as secret Hitler tried to help the good guys, we managed to shoot my teammate Mike Turner instead and eventually led to a fascits defeat.

The following game was cards against humanity. We had Lenny, myself, Jeremy, Jacey, Chris Menzel, and possibly some others playing. Soon after, some very drunk wedding guests came and joined us for a few rounds. Some cards were stupid, most were offensive, all in all what you expect and hope for in that game. The only one I remember clearly was that "White people like...." with (I believe) Menzel's "Gary" card. To which we all have to ask, who the f* is Gary?

Finally go to bed after 3:30. Not sure how some (like quickdraw) say they are getting up at 5 something. I set my alarm and go to bed.

***********************************************************************************

The next day I find I slept through my alarm (or it was on silent and didn't get up till a little after 10. I already missed the start of the consultation tournament. It's just as well as my wife said my 8 month old was fairly sick and I should come home if I could. I took the next hour or so sorting out cards I borrowed to get them to their owers and headed out without much of a word to others. I regret not really getting to say goodbyes, but they were in games so not much I can do about it. A little bummed I wasn't able to be of more help for rules and such. I only got asked 2 questions, and 1 was outside of the game play. If there's a next time, perhaps I'd be better for that. I enjoyed playing though.

I streamed the event on my phone through my speakers on the way home. With all the accidents it took about 6:45 to drive home, but it pretty much lasted the full tournament broadcast, so that was pretty nice.

Slops and props to follow, I'm tired, going to bed.
Last edited by fungineer on August 17th, 2017, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

JimmyFrench
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Re: White People Like _Gary_: A World's TR

Post by JimmyFrench »

A pleasure to read it. Big thanks. Btw, wife always ask to come back as soon as we can the sunday :x

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Nice TR, thanks for writing. And yeah, after 12 hours of playing (comparable to 12 hours in the gym but then for your brain) I can undserstand details become fuzzy. But cool to read nonetheless!
Gosse Z. - Seattle (formerly Netherlands)

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Good TR! Great to put a face to the name as always, especially someone who volunteers so much of his time to the PC. Hope you had a fun weekend with Vine Snakes and RTP ;)

For the record, I didn't get up at 5am. I got up around 7am both days despite being up until almost 4 on Saturday night. That didn't go well with a flight that got home at midnight Sunday night, especially when I had to go to work Monday morning.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Nice report and good to meet you in person. Fortunately I had some Ewok experience from Nationals to rely on :lol:

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

The phrasing of "followed by the Bith Jizz hit" made me laugh out loud at my desk. Lest we all forget, a popular genre of music in the Star Wars is called JIZZ MUSIC. Which "came" first, the music, or the nickname for ejaculatory fluid? I don't plan on doing the research myself, as googling "jizz history" might get me fired.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

mingtown
GEMP Username: mingtown

Post by mingtown »

Good to see you again, Steve. Pretty good showing from Wisconsin this year! I'm glad you got some fun games out of the walkers deck.
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by fungineer »

shawnd1984 wrote:The phrasing of "followed by the Bith Jizz hit" made me laugh out loud at my desk. Lest we all forget, a popular genre of music in the Star Wars is called JIZZ MUSIC. Which "came" first, the music, or the nickname for ejaculatory fluid? I don't plan on doing the research myself, as googling "jizz history" might get me fired.
I almost changed it for that reasoning, but I figured it was worth the giggle.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

AndrewK29
GEMP Username: AK29

Post by AndrewK29 »

Nice report man! It was fun to play ur innovative and fresh rescue the princess deck, hope to see u at another event soon
Andrew Kline~ 49th place 2017 world championship

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

It was good to meet you in person, Stephen!

Great title for a TR by the way!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

gah, i was busy when you handed me the cards i borrowed to you, but i meant to just let you have the RTP objective and the leia for it, since if your one of the few who does play RTP you should at least have those to cards!
Jerry H

Image Image

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by fungineer »

quesosauce37 wrote:gah, i was busy when you handed me the cards i borrowed to you, but i meant to just let you have the RTP objective and the leia for it, since if your one of the few who does play RTP you should at least have those to cards!
Well I won a RTP. So I'm halfway there.
Image Image Image

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

fungineer wrote:
quesosauce37 wrote:gah, i was busy when you handed me the cards i borrowed to you, but i meant to just let you have the RTP objective and the leia for it, since if your one of the few who does play RTP you should at least have those to cards!
Well I won a RTP. So I'm halfway there.
oh sweet! thanks for writing up the TR, and hopefully i wasnt too startled when i got your pm asking for RTP cards haha

it was awesome meeting you and i hope your worlds experience was a blast!
Jerry H

Image Image

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

fungineer wrote:Also sang every part of Bohemian Rhapsody (including the itnermental portions) which is a must whenever that song comes on.
If you didn't head bang at the appropriate moment, then you are dead to me.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

I streamed the event on my phone through my speakers on the way home. With all the accidents it took about 6:45 to drive home, but it pretty much lasted the full tournament broadcast, so that was pretty nice.
Sounds like you shouldn't stream Swccg and drive at the same time.

Return to “World Championships - August 10-13 2017”