Europeans Unite at Worlds 2018

Morristown, NJ
thehooky
LS Region: Endor

Re: Europeans Unite at Worlds 2018

Post by thehooky »

thehooky wrote:
Sadly, I don't believe in factions of people out side of corrupt, accurate and helpless. Some times you can be any of the two but not often more than three
How it should have been.

Steve Buscemi
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by Steve Buscemi »

Eric and I have just booked our flights! We will fly to NYC on october the 2nd, spend a couple of days in NYC and come to Morristown on Friday. We will check out on Monday and then start our trip towards the North Eastern part of North America. Eventually we will arrive in Boston and Eric will fly back from Boston on the 26th of october. I will visit a friend near Washington DC for a couple of days and fly back on the 31st of october. Since I have never travelled by train in the US and heard some good stories about it, I am probably taking the train from Boston to Washington DC on the 26th of october. Looking at the Amtrak site there are several options, if someone has some advice what the best options for online booking are please let me know.

Looking forward to the trip! Before I forget if you have some under the radar sightseeing tips just let those European SWCCG people know where they should go when they visit North America.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Steve Buscemi wrote:Looking at the Amtrak site there are several options, if someone has some advice what the best options for online booking are please let me know.
The Acela Express is about an hour faster, but quite a bit more expensive. I don't think it's worth it, but some people like it enough to pay the extra. The cars are generally nicer and newer than the ones on the "regular" Northeast Regional trains. I suppose it's somewhat like the difference between local and IC trains in Germany.

I think you're best just getting the Saver fare for a Reserved Coach Seat. This is basically just a regular train seat - but so are the other options. The difference is that Saver fares are not refundable. The Value fares can be refunded up to 24 hours before departure, with a 10% fee. The Flexible fares are fully refundable up until the time of departure, with no fee. But they all get you the same type of seat. So it depends how sure you are that you won't need to change your plans.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Steve Buscemi wrote:Eric and I have just booked our flights! We will fly to NYC on october the 2nd, spend a couple of days in NYC and come to Morristown on Friday. We will check out on Monday and then start our trip towards the North Eastern part of North America. Eventually we will arrive in Boston and Eric will fly back from Boston on the 26th of october. I will visit a friend near Washington DC for a couple of days and fly back on the 31st of october. Since I have never travelled by train in the US and heard some good stories about it, I am probably taking the train from Boston to Washington DC on the 26th of october. Looking at the Amtrak site there are several options, if someone has some advice what the best options for online booking are please let me know.

Looking forward to the trip! Before I forget if you have some under the radar sightseeing tips just let those European SWCCG people know where they should go when they visit North America.
I would not recommend taking Amtrak from Boston to DC. Amtrak is fine for a 4-5 hour trip or shorter, but anything longer than that can be both expensive and very uncomfortable. Also, I'm not sure what stories you've heard, but American long-distance trains have a horrible reputation compared to their European counterparts. I would suggest flying instead. It is 1 hour instead of 10 hours and it's basically the same price.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

puck71

Post by puck71 »

If you book now it's $79 which isn't bad, and it's like 7 hours not 10. I've enjoyed Amtrak every time I've taken it, including a 30 plus hour ride. But some people don't like it.

That being said, I would at least look at flights to see if there are any good deals.
John Anderson

thehooky

Post by thehooky »

Why are people called Europiens?

puck71

Post by puck71 »

thehooky wrote:Why are people called Europiens?
Typically because they live in Europe.
John Anderson

thehooky

Post by thehooky »

So it's just a sound no definition behind it?

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

thehooky wrote:So it's just a sound no definition behind it?
No, the definition is "people who live in the continent of Europe"
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

arebelspy

Re: RE: Re: Europeans Unite at Worlds 2018

Post by arebelspy »

thehooky wrote:So it's just a sound no definition behind it?
The same as all words.

Arbitrary noises we assign meaning to.

It's a rare and beautiful thing when your meaning and mine match up, something we call communication.

Zorp?

thehooky

Post by thehooky »

Hmmm what? Sounds have meanings rather we are aware of those definitions. Abashment, it has a very specific definition yet very few know what it is.

Periodically words have multiple definitions, it is now up to us to learn what is intended rather then what we want 'it' or others to become. And that is communication.

Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

Death Star wrote:I plan to attend. Looking for flights and accomodations at the moment. Since my wife will accompany me and we will do a vacation around the tournament, i need some additional infos.

Plan so far is to
1) fly into New York on saturday the 29th
2) stay in 1 New York hotel without a car until either thursday the 4th or friday the 5th. We want to visit a Giants/Jets game on sunday, maybe visit a Broadway show and do all the sightseeing that New York offers
3) stay at worlds hotel in Morristown until monday the 8th
4) rent a car on monday and tour New England for a couple of days
5) fly home from New York on friday the 12th

Questions:
1) How many people are usually in attendance on thursday? Is it worth it to arrive a day early or is early friday enough?
2) Are most people leaving early on sunday or will there be enough people around on sunday until the evening at least?
3) Anything else about the plan that locals do not recommend?

Looking forward to see a bunch of people from way back then!
Short update now that i am finally in the process of booking flight and hotels:
We swapped parts 2 and 4 around, so will do New York after the tournament. Luckily, the thursday night game after the tournament, the night before we fly home, will be Philadelphia Eagles at New York Giants!

If any of the locals would like to come with us to the game (or we with you), please let me know!
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

I’m potentially in for the game. A little too far out for me to know my schedule though.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Appears I'll be joining you all, dragging the sorry state of exile viking Kristian along with me! :)
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

aermet69 wrote:Appears I'll be joining you all, dragging the sorry state of exile viking Kristian along with me! :)
:shock:

(and yes, my flight is booked)
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

aermet69
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Darth_Link wrote:
aermet69 wrote:Appears I'll be joining you all, dragging the sorry state of exile viking Kristian along with me! :)
:shock:

(and yes, my flight is booked)
Yeah, well... we decided not to go to our usual heavy festival this year as the GF just got new work after finishing studies so I found myself with a week of vacation that I didn't know what to use for and haven't seen that Kristian dude in quite a while. So it seemed logical to put the pieces together :) and I've always wanted to do it, so there is that too! :)
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

arebelspy

Re: RE: Re: Europeans Unite at Worlds 2018

Post by arebelspy »

That's awesome dude!

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

This is turning into an invasion :popcrn:
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

This is beyond awesome.
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Thekillerkiwi
GEMP Username: killerkiwi

Post by Thekillerkiwi »

Death Star wrote:
Death Star wrote:I plan to attend. Looking for flights and accomodations at the moment. Since my wife will accompany me and we will do a vacation around the tournament, i need some additional infos.

Plan so far is to
1) fly into New York on saturday the 29th
2) stay in 1 New York hotel without a car until either thursday the 4th or friday the 5th. We want to visit a Giants/Jets game on sunday, maybe visit a Broadway show and do all the sightseeing that New York offers
3) stay at worlds hotel in Morristown until monday the 8th
4) rent a car on monday and tour New England for a couple of days
5) fly home from New York on friday the 12th

Questions:
1) How many people are usually in attendance on thursday? Is it worth it to arrive a day early or is early friday enough?
2) Are most people leaving early on sunday or will there be enough people around on sunday until the evening at least?
3) Anything else about the plan that locals do not recommend?

Looking forward to see a bunch of people from way back then!
Short update now that i am finally in the process of booking flight and hotels:
We swapped parts 2 and 4 around, so will do New York after the tournament. Luckily, the thursday night game after the tournament, the night before we fly home, will be Philadelphia Eagles at New York Giants!

If any of the locals would like to come with us to the game (or we with you), please let me know!
So my gf and I would probably be down to go to the game as well. We looked at tickets and its $125 per person for nosebleeds. Is anyone else interested in going to the Giants game?
Brandon Baity

Please support my SWCCG Documentary - https://www.gofundme.com/star-wars-ccg-documentary

Check out my Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/thenanashi

Return to “World Championships - Oct 4-7 2018”