The Bith Shuffle

Morristown, NJ
Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

The Bith Shuffle

Post by Hutch »

From Page 9 of the Alternate Formats Guide:
The Bith Shuffle
This is a constructed event that can be held as a “consolation event” during larger tournaments where players bring the exact same decks (including defensive shields) that he or she played in the main event (this helps ensure the legitimacy or playability of their decks). Pairings are determined just like a normal Swiss event, but at the start of every game you are randomly assigned a deck from another player at the event. Decks are assigned randomly and are not based on your opponent, but you will never play your own deck. Players will hold on to their own decks in between games, and no player will play the same deck twice. Players are encouraged to shout questions across the room at their deck‟s owner, such as “how many ships are in this deck” or “how is this piece of crap supposed to beat walkers?”
Can we please, please, PLEASE do this at World's this year for the Day 3 Consolation Event? I know it's only a few weeks away, but I just saw this for the first time today in the Glossary 5.0 and want to play in one of these. A side question, when was the last time one of these was held at a Major?

3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: The Bith Shuffle

Post by arebelspy »

Or day 3 main event.

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

Socal grand prix, 2012 iirc

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

i played in one of these, and it was pretty fun (i think it was the 2012 socal)

one thing that i didnt like about it was that my cards were in the hands of other people all day, and while i know we have a pretty straight up community, its still in the back of your mind all afternoon that someone could just literally walk away with your decks. also most people have different levels of OCD when it comes to how they like their cards to be shuffled/handled/etc and i was afraid that the guy whos deck i had was watching over my shoulder to make sure i wasnt bruising his mauls(and vice versa)
Jerry H

Image Image

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

That ^

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

Those are valid points. I had thought about the first one but not the OCD part. But because you started off with “it was pretty fun” I’d like to offer some mitigation suggestions to those concerns:

1) If someone you’ve never met (or have met and don’t particularly trust) draws your deck, sit at the same table as them or a table between them and the door where you can see them. One of the rules of the tournament is that your deck is returned to you between rounds. I also assume some record is kept as to who is playing whose deck each round, so if they do walk off with your deck, you know who has it. I’d say that would be deterrent enough for the person walking off with them.

2) If you’re particularly OCD about your cards, say something to the person as you had the deck off to them (e.g. don’t touch the cards to your mouth, always have the opening of the sleeve pointed away from you, put the deck back in the box with the tops of the sleeves pointed down, etc). Also at the start of the tournament, just make a clarifying statement off no bend shuffling of cards.

I those would mitigate those concerns and still allow for a fun, seldom played alternate format.
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

quesosauce37 wrote:i played in one of these, and it was pretty fun (i think it was the 2012 socal)

one thing that i didnt like about it was that my cards were in the hands of other people all day, and while i know we have a pretty straight up community, its still in the back of your mind all afternoon that someone could just literally walk away with your decks. also most people have different levels of OCD when it comes to how they like their cards to be shuffled/handled/etc and i was afraid that the guy whos deck i had was watching over my shoulder to make sure i wasnt bruising his mauls(and vice versa)
Yeah... I feel like my deck would end up in the hands of the person who happened to be on the receiving end of a flu bug. I'd also fight the urge to post a sign in the bathroom that says "Bith Shuffle Participants Must Wash Hands"
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

i've always wanted a team tournament where every so often the td shouts switch and one team has to switch seats with their teammate
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

WiseMarsellus wrote:i've always wanted a team tournament where every so often the td shouts "Change places!" and one team has to switch seats with their teammate
FTFY
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

Cam Solusar

Re: RE: Re: The Bith Shuffle

Post by Cam Solusar »

TacoBill wrote:
WiseMarsellus wrote:i've always wanted a team tournament where every so often the td shouts "Change places!" and one team has to switch seats with their teammate
FTFY

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

TacoBill wrote:
FTFY
How about "grab your partner and do se do."

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

rhendon wrote: How about "grab your partner and do se do."
Jerry H

Image Image

timeofyouppi
GEMP Username: timeyouppi

Post by timeofyouppi »

I am strongly in favor of bith shuffle format for Sunday
Ban Monnok and Grimtaash

Harpster
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Harpster
GEMP Username: Sharpy

Post by Harpster »

And Im strongly against. If I have to play in this event (hopefully not) I dont want to fly across the country to end up playing someone elses HB QUADS because he thought the deck looked neat.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

agree with harpsta
-Keith Brown

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Re: RE: Re: The Bith Shuffle

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

Harpster wrote:And Im strongly against. If I have to play in this event (hopefully not) I dont want to fly across the country to end up playing someone elses HB QUADS because he thought the deck looked neat.
You dont have to fly across the country. Just let me know. I'll let you borrow my hidden base deck anytime!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.
TacoBill wrote:Your game plan is to lose the AC? Seems questionable

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Having played in the socal event in question, I think it was in the "sounds cooler than it is" category. Maybe if someone put together a bunch of preconstructed decks and you got a random one? Like cube without the draft.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

puck71 wrote:Having played in the socal event in question, I think it was in the "sounds cooler than it is" category. Maybe if someone put together a bunch of preconstructed decks and you got a random one? Like cube without the draft.
I think just grabbing 40 random cards from a cube and blindly playing with that + 10 fixed cards of your choice is funner than Bith Shuffle.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

But with bith shuffle, they're constructed decks meant to do something. Not a random jumble of cards.

And you're missing the only good part of cube then--drafting (and then a single game to see how well your draft worked).

I want a bith shuffle day 3 event, where everyone has to bring their decks, but others play them, but you have to play your own decks if you make the finals, so you can't just bring trash decks for others to play.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

arebelspy wrote:But with bith shuffle, they're constructed decks meant to do something. Not a random jumble of cards.

And you're missing the only good part of cube then--drafting (and then a single game to see how well your draft worked).

I want a bith shuffle day 3 event, where everyone has to bring their decks, but others play them, but you have to play your own decks if you make the finals, so you can't just bring trash decks for others to play.
Not knowing what cards you have in your deck until you draw them for destiny or take them into hand is what is fun about grabbing a random 40 cards. I'm not trying to play cube, I'm just saying that using the cards from the cube is convenient. Play a game, ditch the cards, grab another random 40 cards, play another game. It's great for fun, quick games. It's a different experience for a different reason.

If you want to draft cube, then you draft cube, play a game, and then get bored and want to draft again. The fun is in the draft, and I agree with that. I'm not "missing" that, I'm suggesting something completely different that's not cube and not constructed, but using the cards from the cube because it's convenient.

I think that playing your own decks in the finals should be part of the official Bith Shuffle format.

Return to “World Championships - Oct 4-7 2018”