World's Cube

Morristown, NJ
sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

World's Cube

Post by sjacree »

Was there a cube played at world's this year? Who won? Do any of those that participated have any feedback on how to improve the cube?

-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: World's Cube

Post by gogolen »

Pretty sure there was not an event. Couldn't get 4 people together at the same time that wanted to play

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Me and Koen took on Emil and Shaw in an epic cross-ocean battle of 35 random Legacy Cube cards. I think their DS went 3-1; it really sucks drawing Hidden Base (the 0-side) for destiny. I think that was the only time we opened the cube.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

There was a lot of the random 35 card deck games.

Jake and Charlie of MN were playing it a bunch.

I didn't see any draft/play traditional cube stuff.

retwin316
LS Region: Corellia
LS Region: Corellia

Post by retwin316 »

Just takes too long to draft and then play 4 games... Hard to even play 2 with one side.

DVD ROTS

Post by DVD ROTS »

It's a shame, IMO, because the cube is a lot of fun, but without any tournament with real stakes, there's basically no incentive to play - drafting and then playing games seems bad pre-tournament when you could be prepping your constructed decks and seems bad post-tournament when you're exhausted - drafts with a bunch of tired and/or drunk people for no stakes really go off the rails.

The cube tournament that I played in that I really loved was at 2013 worlds, and it was one of the "we will run events until everyone is Q'd for Day 2" events - it was at a reasonable hour, so you had incentive to draft and play and get yourself Q'd so you didn't have to do some late-night nonsense before the big day. We don't really have that incentive anymore - maybe travel vouchers or a similar level of award could be given?

There was a reasonably-sized constructed event at 12ish on the Friday of worlds - what if there was a Cube tournament run simultaneously with similar prizes? Once the cube tourney fills up, you fill the constructed event - not sure how many cube players we can support with the currently built cube, but an 8 or 12 person cube event would still leave a 20ish person constructed event alongside it.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

the real reason people played friday was the main v card design and the 100 dollar cash prize
Jerry H

Image Image

DVD ROTS

Post by DVD ROTS »

quesosauce37 wrote:the real reason people played friday was the main v card design and the 100 dollar cash prize
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. If you run a cube tournament with those kinds of prizes and at a reasonablish time, you'll fill it. But absent that kind of incentive, it probably won't fit :-/
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

Return to “World Championships - Oct 4-7 2018”