arebelspy Commentates U.S. Nationals - Pre-Event Questions

Atlanta, GA
arebelspy

Re: arebelspy Commentates U.S. Nationals - Pre-Event Questions

Post by arebelspy »

I believe Advocate has the equipment (though an extra monitor could be useful? Not sure if the setup supports it, or if we just need the monitor.), and rhendon's gonna remote in if there's tech setup issues.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Maybe someone local can bring in a second monitor?
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

I think our new multimedia advocate was gonna check on things too

arebelspy

Re: RE: Re: arebelspy Commentates U.S. Nationals - Pre-Event Questions

Post by arebelspy »

darkjediknight11 wrote:I think our new multimedia advocate was gonna check on things too
Yep, he's on top of stuff, he was just unsure about that as well, it's up in the air, so I figured I'd mention it here in case a local did have one. :)

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

spideyguy0 wrote:
arebelspy wrote: That seems... excessive. No? Going over what every single card does when it hits the table? Do you have much time for anything else? That doesn't drag?
It takes some practice, but if you're doing solo commentary you'd be amazed at how much dead time you have during a game. You're not gonna do it for every single card, but when I do it as much as possible I get a ton of feedback from NARPs about how helpful it is and how hard it is for them to watch the stream otherwise, because they're not great at recognizing pictures or knowing immediately what the cards do and why they might be important. But my philosophy on commentary is that an experienced player can still watch a stream without any commentary and have an enjoyable experience. A NARP can't. My first duty is to the NARP, to make sure that they're able to watch the stream at all. And then my secondary concern is adding additional insight for the experienced player.
I personally think it’s cheesy when we try and make it sound like a baseball game or something. I’d much rather just hear joes thoughts on the game and whatever else (related to swccg) that is on his mind. There’s obviously a line, but the “welcome to the swccg national championship “ type stuff doesn’t do it for me. I’d much rather have it be more informal but still professional if that makes sense.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Color commentary + fun + awareness of cards & situations + being yourself.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Please for the love of everything holy, talk quietly as a card is about to hit the table just like a golf analysist when someone is about to hit off of the tee.

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

My request is you be ALILDIFFERNT.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

thehooky
LS Region: Endor
LS Region: Endor

Post by thehooky »

Years ago when I was doing sound and video boards, I was able to play around with live stream and used the anicast that allows live stream editing, this helps greatly with any hidden changes that may suddenly arise

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Cam Solusar wrote:My request is you be ALILDIFFERNT.
:<3: :<3: :<3: :<3:
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

1) Pregame provide general information (round, standings)
2) introductions - player IDs and brief background of what you know about each one.
3) Set up- while they sit and start the game give an overview of the matchup... (i.e. Bob is playing HD vs. Dave's HITCO. His general gameplan should be... )
4) review the table and let us know of anything unusual OR if you think they started something incorrect.. (normally you see x, but it looks like he started y in order to... )
5) Play by play first followed by analysis. During pauses in action.

Don't be afraid to be yourself. If someone makes a mistake point it out (politely) and move on.

I don't know if that is helpful or not.

Thanks!

Throdo

Post by Throdo »

Joe I think you're gonna do very well no matter what! I look forward to listening to it after the event.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Throdo wrote:Joe I think you're gonna do very well no matter what! I look forward to listening to it after the event.
Agreed, it is gonna be awesome. Thank you.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by DVD ROTS »

Brian Kibler (one of the main Hearthstone commentators, and a Hall of Fame Magic: the Gathering player (who's done some commentary for MTG as well) actually discussed a couple things re: good commentary on Twitter last week (in the context of Phil Hellmuth doing some medium-to-bad commentary on a poker tournament). First tweet is here, but I'll duplicate the text below: https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1019223790977335296

-For the ESPN broadcast, should expect your audience to comprise of less-experienced players who could benefit from explanations of why a player might make a particular decisions
--I think this holds true for SWCCG to some extent. Not that you have to explain everything , but it can be pretty valuable, especially to newer players

-"There was a lot of “he’s going to fold in ten seconds” and not a lot of “this is a tough spot because he has an underpair and this bet could represent either a hand that beats him or a draw”. The latter is much more valuable context for the audience"

-"A key concept here is that predictive/prescriptive commentary will often be wrong, when the player does something different than what you suggest or anticipate. In that case, either the caster or player appears foolish to some degree."

-"If instead you focus on the factors behind decision making rather than the decision itself, you’re adding value to the audience who understands the situation better, as well as avoiding the trap of making yourself or the player look foolish."

Kibler said he'd make a video about this, and said he was going to film it Sunday - I've not seen it posted anywhere yet, but if it crops up in the next week or so, I'll link to it here. I think some of the above is reasonable advice, though. One caveat for SWCCG commentary is that your info (ie what's in players hands) is generally less than what's availble to MTG/Hearthstone/poker commentators, and there's more text in our game as well.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

DVD ROTS wrote: -"If instead you focus on the factors behind decision making rather than the decision itself, you’re adding value to the audience who understands the situation better, as well as avoiding the trap of making yourself or the player look foolish."
Awesome advice

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Great post, Vik.

Joe, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is if you have time Friday, play around with OBS a bit to get comfortable with the interface (if you already feel comfortable, you can disregard). But things like text overlays and embedded card images work better if you're not figuring out how to do them while also trying to commentate.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

id try to at least get everything setup and do some team tourney/cube stream on friday if you have the chance, because it will give you and everyone else helping a chance to setup and de-bug so that way you can enter saturday with a good head start
Jerry H

Image Image

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

i'll be around friday after 6pm eastern and saturday 6pm eastern and all day sunday to help with tech/commentary/etc
Jerry H

Image Image

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

-A second monitor to look up cards.

-I doubt anyone brand new to the game is going to be watching, it's not worth the effort. If people have questions they can always ask in twitch chat.

-Use as many star wars quotes as possible.

-I think pointing out mistakes is fine; try to explain why they made the mistake or what the thought process was behind it.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

A ton of our stream watchers are NARPs. They’re not brand new to the game, but a lot of them may not have an encyclopedic knowledge of what all the cards look like and do. And looking at twitch chat while doing solo commentary is very hard
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Return to “US Nationals - July 27-29 2018”