Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Atlanta, GA
Post Reply
User avatar
Kessling
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: January 12th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Contact:

Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by Kessling »

The hotel is in Downtown Atlanta so I'm focusing this guide on things within walking distance and then I will list some recommendations that are a bit further afield and would require you to take transit or a car.

Some Nearby Restaurants

Max Lager's Wood Fired Grill & Brewery: The beer is just OK but the food is pretty good, typical American food.

Alma Cocina: Mexican and one of the better options in the area

White Oak Kitchen & Cocktails: Southern/New American. Good but not great.

Peachtree Center Food Court (Monday-Saturday 6a-6p): This has a lot of options for breakfast and lunch but likely won't be open for dinner hours unless there is a large event nearby. Lots of large chain options (e.g., Dairy Queen, Chick-fil-A, Au Bon Pain, Checkers) and some one-off options (Aviva by Kameel is probably the best of these).

Sitdown chain restaurants nearby: Ted's Montana Grill, Benihana, Hooters, Hard Rock Cafe, Waffle House

Nearby Attractions
The World of Coke and Georgia Aquarium are right next to each other and are about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

College Football Hall of Fame is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel and I recommend it if you're a big CFB fan.

CNN Center is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel and has a big food court and you can tour the CNN studios. There is also a Taco Mac here which is a local chain of sports bars.

If you are willing to jump on MARTA

You will want to go northbound from Peachtree Center - I trust you to use Google Maps for exact directions but all of these are within 2-4 stops of the hotel:

Cypress Street Pint and Plate - open late, the house beer is a good local IPA, pretty good food
ESCORPION: solid Mexican food and good cocktails
Takorea: Korean/Mexican fusion and fairly cheap
The Vortex: 18+ establishment that still allows smoking inside but has tons of burger and beer options
Taco Mac / Hudson Grille: both are local chain sports bars with decent food
Publik Draft House: right next to the FOX Theatre, upscale bar food


If you have access to a car or are willing to Uber/Lyft/taxi

Krog Street Market: highly recommend Fred's Meat and Bread, Yalla, and Gu's but most everything here is good

Ponce City Market: El Super Pan, H&F Burger, Minero but similarly most everything here is good

The Porter Beer Bar is the best bet in the city if you're looking for a big beer selection and interesting food

Fox Bros BBQ, Heirloom Market BBQ, Community Q, and B's Cracklin BBQ are the best BBQ options in the city.

Mary Mac's Tea Room, Busy Bee Cafe, and the Colonnade are your best bet for old school southern

You can't go wrong with anything on the Eater Atlanta 38 Essential restaurants.


Mike Kessling - Atlanta, Ga
Image

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30870
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by imrahil327 »

Daaaaamn so jealous I can't go eat food with Kessling
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 11349
Joined: May 2nd, 2005, 3:52 pm
Location: Somerdale, nj
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by gogolen »

do you get discounts at CFA?
Image

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

User avatar
marines28
Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 10:35 pm
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
GEMP Username: marines28

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by marines28 »

Thanks for posting this.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk
Posts: 4800
Joined: February 22nd, 2009, 1:58 am

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by Hayes »

This place just opened up like 2 months ago and is amazing. Definitely checked the most healthy thing I ever ate at a con box.
https://www.pokespot.com/choose-location

Hsu's > Benihana
http://www.hsus.com

Sushi
http://www.pacificrimbistro.com/index.html

(Apparently I like Asian food whilst in Atlanta)

arebelspy
Member
Posts: 16707
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by arebelspy »

Hayes wrote:This place just opened up like 2 months ago and is amazing. Definitely checked the most healthy thing I ever ate at a con box.
https://www.pokespot.com/choose-location

Hsu's > Benihana
http://www.hsus.com

Sushi
http://www.pacificrimbistro.com/index.html

(Apparently I like Asian food whilst in Atlanta)
I want all of this. So much more than greasy bar food.

User avatar
marines28
Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 10:35 pm
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
GEMP Username: marines28

Re: RE: Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by marines28 »

arebelspy wrote:
Hayes wrote:This place just opened up like 2 months ago and is amazing. Definitely checked the most healthy thing I ever ate at a con box.
https://www.pokespot.com/choose-location

Hsu's > Benihana
http://www.hsus.com

Sushi
http://www.pacificrimbistro.com/index.html

(Apparently I like Asian food whilst in Atlanta)
I want all of this. So much more than greasy bar food.
Agreed
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 11349
Joined: May 2nd, 2005, 3:52 pm
Location: Somerdale, nj
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by gogolen »

Is there still that Jimmie John's right down the street? I seem to remember them being open very late at night
Image

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

User avatar
Kessling
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: January 12th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by Kessling »

It looks like there are two Jimmy Johns nearby.

I've been to Pacific Rim once and wasn't impressed. I haven't been to Hsu's and didn't know about the Poke spot.

A few other suggestions:

Ray's in the City is a bit upscale but has solid food. Good spot for seafood.

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken has an outpost nearby - it's a famous Memphis spot and it's good.

The Landmark Diner and MetroCafe Diner are both open 24 hours and are less than 10 minutes walk from the venue. Both are run of the mill diner food.
Mike Kessling - Atlanta, Ga
Image

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 11349
Joined: May 2nd, 2005, 3:52 pm
Location: Somerdale, nj
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by gogolen »

Kessling wrote:It looks like there are two Jimmy Johns nearby.

I've been to Pacific Rim once and wasn't impressed. I haven't been to Hsu's and didn't know about the Poke spot.

A few other suggestions:

Ray's in the City is a bit upscale but has solid food. Good spot for seafood.

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken has an outpost nearby - it's a famous Memphis spot and it's good.

The Landmark Diner and MetroCafe Diner are both open 24 hours and are less than 10 minutes walk from the venue. Both are run of the mill diner food.

Hmm..those diners sounds familiar. I think one of them might have been where i saved Kevin Elia's life in 2003, and then in 2004 where matt lush poured sugar in GG's hair when fell asleep on the table at 3am.

Oh, and the food was ok too
Image

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

User avatar
Kessling
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: January 12th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by Kessling »

Mike Kessling - Atlanta, Ga
Image

User avatar
mingtown
Member
Posts: 1127
Joined: September 24th, 2014, 1:15 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN
GEMP Username: mingtown

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by mingtown »

I just returned from a business trip to Atlanta, but while I was there I was able to use this thread to find some really great food- went to B's Cracklin' BBQ and Mary Mac's Tea House and both were excellent! So thank you very much Mr. Kessling for your recommendations.
Image Image
2018 WI State Champ
2019 MPC Consolation Top 4

User avatar
Kessling
Member
Posts: 373
Joined: January 12th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by Kessling »

mingtown wrote:I just returned from a business trip to Atlanta, but while I was there I was able to use this thread to find some really great food- went to B's Cracklin' BBQ and Mary Mac's Tea House and both were excellent! So thank you very much Mr. Kessling for your recommendations.
That's awesome! Glad you enjoyed.
Mike Kessling - Atlanta, Ga
Image

User avatar
marines28
Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 10:35 pm
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
GEMP Username: marines28

Re: Nearby Food, Attractions, etc.

Post by marines28 »

Kessling wrote:
mingtown wrote:I just returned from a business trip to Atlanta, but while I was there I was able to use this thread to find some really great food- went to B's Cracklin' BBQ and Mary Mac's Tea House and both were excellent! So thank you very much Mr. Kessling for your recommendations.
That's awesome! Glad you enjoyed.
x2. Good stuff.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

Post Reply

Return to “US Nationals - July 27-29 2018”