Logistics

Atlanta, GA
Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Logistics

Post by Hayes »

Quick little analysis of recent event locations (not that all of the categories are weighted equally).

I've not been to Seattle, so take those rankings with a grain of salt, and I've personally had very good experiences at each of the other three... but, without even taking into account the potential hookup we may have with the Hyatt in Atlanta in the future, it's hard to deny what that location offers. I'm really not trying to trash other destinations, just point out how successful ATL appears to be.

While the local scene surrounding Atlanta is as robust as other places, the airport is extremely accessible being the hub for Delta. And there isn't much of a chance of a blizzard wrecking anyone's arrival. No need for a shuttle or uber at any point because the public transportation is more than sufficient; after that everything is within walking distance.

The hotel itself is nice, as are most destinations that aren't in Princeton, NJ. The staff was actually very accommodating and understanding of our odd hours, internet/streaming needs, and even brought us ice for the beer. I don't know that other locations are as receptive to our antics.

A mall with food court is connected to the venue via skywalk for those who are not Bryan M. But in the middle of downtown EVERYTHING is available within walking distance. A CVS is well stocked with soda/water/beer/food not 3 blocks away. Quality restaurants abound.

Atlanta is easy.

My knock against NJ: getting from the airport to the hotel, winter weather, and you have to walk at least 3-4 blocks for anything not in the hotel.
Against MN: most things are at the mall, but that requires a shuttle or uber. You're basically stuck at the mercy of the hotel bistro most of the time.
Can't say anything against Seattle except that it's on the other side of the country for "most" of the US SW players. (East coast bias is real)

arebelspy

Re: Logistics

Post by arebelspy »

Atlanta is great. I would absolutely travel there again.

Seattle is great.

I'm all for more events. :-D

The hotel was really good to us. Besides stealing my phone charger.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

the airport is WALKABLE from the seattle location, and if you cant walk 10 blocks theres a free emperors personal shuttle

i cant speak for atlanta because i havent been there yet, but ive been to the others and would put it like this

Minnesota > Seattle > NJ

Also for next time atlanta can we get a non wifi situation for the stream? this will allow us to do more with the stream, up to and including replacing the camera with a high def one so we can see the cards better
Jerry H

Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

The place that had the giant indoor farmers market was good. I think worlds 2015 was there?

No idea what the city or state was.

Hayes

Post by Hayes »

I used to deliberately never bring a charger to a hotel. I'd just go to the front desk a few hours after checking in (to get someone different) and explain I lost mine. 99% of the the time they're ready to produce a bin of lost/forgotten chargers from behind the desk and would just give me one.

Hayes

Post by Hayes »

I probably should have added "extra recreational activities" to the list, just for seattle. (But I haven't been there recently so i forgot)

quesosauce37

Post by quesosauce37 »

arebelspy wrote: The hotel was really good to us. Besides stealing my phone charger.

Number 1 item left at hotels after people check out

ive worked at a few hotel front desks/management and there was one place in fort collins near the university where we accumulated enough cell phone chargers to fill an entire 50 gallon trash can

this was when each cell phone company had its own charger and hadnt switched over to the pretty standard micro usb port yet

one day we sorted them all out by type and just set the trash can in the foyer and a sign that said FREE CHARGERS! I told a few student friends and within a week they were all gone
Jerry H

Image Image

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

I’m gonna swing by next time a major comes to Minneapolis (MN) area. Logistics everywhere for the win.
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

TRM Farm apologist and member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

Hasn't happened for awhile, but the socal grand prix location was better even than Seattle. Closer to the airport, and much closer to quality food options.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

arebelspy wrote:The place that had the giant indoor farmers market was good. I think worlds 2015 was there?

This was a hotel in Philadelphia (Reading Terminal Market is the market in question) but the hotel was pretty universally considered a dick.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

quesosauce37

Post by quesosauce37 »

Cam Solusar wrote:Hasn't happened for awhile, but the socal grand prix location was better even than Seattle. Closer to the airport, and much closer to quality food options.

x2

that one place near the sandy eggo event had that burger with peanut butter and jelly and ice cream on it! SOOO GOOD!
Jerry H

Image Image

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

Cam Solusar wrote:Hasn't happened for awhile, but the socal grand prix location was better even than Seattle. Closer to the airport, and much closer to quality food options.

Location is a push, you can walk either in fifteen minutes or take the shuttle. Food options are waaay better in San Diego though.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Houston is cool, too.

Thanks for compiling this list.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

quesosauce37

Post by quesosauce37 »

TacoBill wrote:
arebelspy wrote:The place that had the giant indoor farmers market was good. I think worlds 2015 was there?

This was a hotel in Philadelphia (Reading Terminal Market is the market in question) but the hotel was pretty universally considered a dick.
pretty sure this was the hotel that didnt have a place open for food until after 5pm and then charged us some sort of fee for outside food and drinks?
Jerry H

Image Image

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

quesosauce37 wrote:
TacoBill wrote:

pretty sure this was the hotel that didnt have a place open for food until after 5pm and then charged us some sort of fee for outside food and drinks?

yes, and then put people from another group in sleeping rooms right next to our game room that kept complaining about noise. bad situation, and we will not be going back there

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Hayes wrote:Quick little analysis of recent event locations (not that all of the categories are weighted equally).

I've not been to Seattle, so take those rankings with a grain of salt, and I've personally had very good experiences at each of the other three... but, without even taking into account the potential hookup we may have with the Hyatt in Atlanta in the future, it's hard to deny what that location offers. I'm really not trying to trash other destinations, just point out how successful ATL appears to be.

While the local scene surrounding Atlanta is as robust as other places, the airport is extremely accessible being the hub for Delta. And there isn't much of a chance of a blizzard wrecking anyone's arrival. No need for a shuttle or uber at any point because the public transportation is more than sufficient; after that everything is within walking distance.

The hotel itself is nice, as are most destinations that aren't in Princeton, NJ. The staff was actually very accommodating and understanding of our odd hours, internet/streaming needs, and even brought us ice for the beer. I don't know that other locations are as receptive to our antics.

A mall with food court is connected to the venue via skywalk for those who are not Bryan M. But in the middle of downtown EVERYTHING is available within walking distance. A CVS is well stocked with soda/water/beer/food not 3 blocks away. Quality restaurants abound.

Atlanta is easy.

My knock against NJ: getting from the airport to the hotel, winter weather, and you have to walk at least 3-4 blocks for anything not in the hotel.
Against MN: most things are at the mall, but that requires a shuttle or uber. You're basically stuck at the mercy of the hotel bistro most of the time.
Can't say anything against Seattle except that it's on the other side of the country for "most" of the US SW players. (East coast bias is real)

Well then you should be happy to know that in 2019, the MPC will be in late April when the weather is much warmer.

PC Store Manager
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

What are these ratings based on? 1-5 scale?
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia? Place is amazing...
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/swccg
Subscribe to the PC's YouTube page: YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Spoiler
Show
Individual performance for all players in all Majors since 9/2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
Gemp Operational Guide & FAQ's: tinyurl.com/GempGuideFAQs
PC Foil & AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist
2020 OCS: 58-26 (T16) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Wait a minute- how is Atlanta a 1 for taking the train from the airport to the hotel (23 minutes), but NJ is a 4 (32 minute train ride). SOUTH EAST BIAS!

PC Store Manager

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

gogolen wrote:Wait a minute- how is Atlanta a 1 for taking the train from the airport to the hotel (23 minutes), but NJ is a 4 (32 minute train ride). SOUTH EAST BIAS!
Agreed. The train from Newark to New Brunswick is super easy. The only bad time is during rush hour when it is super packed but whatever.

Return to “US Nationals - July 27-29 2018”