Logistics

Atlanta, GA
rhendon

Re: Logistics

Post by rhendon »

Also, locations aren't decided based solely on logistics around the event. Its about someone stepping up and doing the groundwork in the area. I've literally said this for years to deaf ears. The reason Atlanta happened this time is because Kessling put in the groundwork in getting the details done. The reason Seattle happened is because Wirfs stepped up and did it. The reason Texas got an event every year for as long as we have is because Richards put in the work to make it happened and then just scheduled it.

Everyone wants the PC to step up and pay for stuff. Richards stepped up and covered TMW for years on his own. He found places that were cheap or free for us. The bar we used let us play there for free. They made money because we were mostly there during the day (downtime) and ordered a lot. People just have to do the work and follow through rather than waiting on the PC. If it is on the PC to do things, well it will likely be done in the NE because that is where they all are.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Harsh tone aside, solid post from rhendon. ;)
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

new brunswick is my favorite venue i feel it is getting underrated here
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Curious how attendees in Pittsburgh the last few years feel about these categories for us. Genuinely curious to know, I think we are pretty good in some areas but lacking in others (public transit to name one).
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

WiseMarsellus wrote:new brunswick is my favorite venue i feel it is getting underrated here
It was quite nice during the mpc and that was with single digit Temps and a cyclone bomb (was that the weather event?) a fewer days earlier.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

quickdraw3457 wrote:Curious how attendees in Pittsburgh the last few years feel about these categories for us. Genuinely curious to know, I think we are pretty good in some areas but lacking in others (public transit to name one).
I was potentially going to be flown to Pittsburgh last year to do media stuff, but ended up not taking the PC up on the offer because flights were exorbitant, and didn't want to put them out that much. It seems like an awkward place to fly into, at least from the West Coast. I'm sure once there it would be fine, but it was going to cost twice what it cost me to fly to Newark.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Cam Solusar wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:Curious how attendees in Pittsburgh the last few years feel about these categories for us. Genuinely curious to know, I think we are pretty good in some areas but lacking in others (public transit to name one).
I was potentially going to be flown to Pittsburgh last year to do media stuff, but ended up not taking the PC up on the offer because flights were exorbitant, and didn't want to put them out that much. It seems like an awkward place to fly into, at least from the West Coast. I'm sure once there it would be fine, but it was going to cost twice what it cost me to fly to Newark.
Yeah we are not a hub anymore like we used to be and like ATL and Minneapolis are, so that is definitely an issue I know people talked about.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

The only one of these venues that I've been to is NJ, but I agree with Tom that I think it's being undervalued a bit. The train is super easy (and if you don't like that particular airport, there's 3 others, not to mention a train that runs up and down the east coast, and connections to major bus terminals), there's tons of food around (and all those places deliver to the hotel if you don't want to go outside), and idk how in-bed you guys are with the hotel staff, but we have an excellent relationship with the New Brunswick hotel. They've been having us back every year for almost 10 years at this point.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Pittsburgh was ok, but then again we drove so I can't comment on the other details.

We used 2 different hotels, but each seemed to have some food choices within 3-4 blocks.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

imrahil327 wrote:Harsh tone aside, solid post from rhendon. ;)
Sigh. I actually didn't mean to be harsh. I went to Texas public schools. I wasn't taught how to speak English properly to convey a better tone online.
I thought Pitt was great. The airport is super far outside of the city but whatever. There are enough people that are willing to do pickups that it wasn't a big deal. It was pretty generous for Reid to offer even though I missed the flight because of weather but still made it in on time.

The location itself was great. Plenty of options for food and entertainment within walking distance. City was nice and clean as well. I remember when we did Worlds at DC, it was under construction and there were roaches everywhere we walked. Not ideal at all. Like the only knock on Pitt would be close to airport but when you have people willing to do pickups, I think it negates that a lot. Also, with Uber/Lyft being more and more a thing, public transit isn't as big of a deal.

I've been to NJ (NB and the crappy worlds one), Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, DC, and Pitt. Out of all of those, I think Pitt was the best in location as far as things to do, places to eat, etc. NB would probably be 2nd. Houston at the bar was the best, but that isn't an option now. Atlanta I hated because of the roads, and it was downtown at Dragoncon. But there was a lot to do because of that. But finding it when everything is Peachtree is a pain. Seattle wasn't bad, I'd like to go again when I wouldn't be rushed with running event and on time because I had to go from work and back to work right before and after. DC I'd prefer not to do again.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

Johnsons Corner Truckstop best location ever
Jerry H

Image Image

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

quesosauce37 wrote:Johnsons Corner Truckstop best location ever
:<3: :<3: :<3: :<3: :<3: :<3:
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

thehooky
LS Region: Endor
LS Region: Endor

Post by thehooky »

imrahil327 wrote:Harsh tone aside, solid post from rhendon. ;)
Yeah, tournaments are like <> sites, we used to have a few tournaments a year around here tell I stopped setting them up years ago. If I ever get to set them up again, I have lots of ideas how I would do it, but it costs quite a bit to set them up and get people playing in a new game, why would the pc pay for that? Personally, I would like to host a huge cash prize event, would people even want to go out for that and where does the prize support come from? Mine or your pockets. But if the pc wants to chip in, so much to consider so that it is worth every one's time! My self, I am not a banquet hall kinda guy, but you are!

I prefer a house set up to hold every one for the weekend! Bring your own food or order it in. Either way your in tell its over even if you hate it

kavanix44
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by kavanix44 »

Atlanta has King of Pops.

DTartagOne

Post by DTartagOne »

New Brunswick is nice. Haven't flown in and driven, traveling isn't too bad. The biggest issue is the cold. The restaurants around are nice. The hotel as been really nice to us. I think the MPC should stay there.

Seattle is nice, again the hotel was nice to us, I really enjoyed the free breakfast. The fact that the train into town is close is a plus. The lack of places to eat within walking distance kind of sucks, but things are close enough for a cheap Uber.

The last time Worlds was in Jersey, it was a joke. I am not going to pile on the hate, but I can say I hope it is never there again.

I can see the issues with Pittsburgh, being that flying in is expensive and the airport is in the middle of nowhere. How were the rates on the rooms? Did the hotel take care of yinz guys? I might be able to hook up the PC again if they want to host an even in Pittsburgh again ;-).

I would love to have been able to go to SoCal, but I believe I was in Hawaii the last time.

I also would like to see some more events out West.
Dan "Tortellini" Tartaglione
Image Image

MPC Consolation Runner Up 2020 Texas Mini Worlds Top 16

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

The hotel last year had no microwave or cooler. Not cool, man, not cool.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

DTartagOne

Post by DTartagOne »

marines28 wrote:
Don't worry the hotel will change.
Image Image

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

DTartagOne wrote:
marines28 wrote:
Does your sister work at a different hotel now?
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

DTartagOne

Post by DTartagOne »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
DTartagOne wrote:
marines28 wrote:
Does your sister work at a different hotel now?
She does. I am trying to figure out which one it is.
Image Image

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Ok, cool! Thanks for considering that.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

Return to “US Nationals - July 27-29 2018”