Primer: Diplomatic Mission To Alderaan (Diplo)

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Apollyon
GEMP Username: Apollyon

Primer: Diplomatic Mission To Alderaan (Diplo)

Post by Apollyon »

Diplomatic Mission to Alderaan (aka Diplo)

Table of Contents:
• Special thanks
• General description
• General strategy
• Key cards
• Matchups

Special thanks to Darth_Link for his OA primer. I grabbed a bunch of his text and his format, since he did it so well.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Spoiler
Show
Diplo is a versatile, resilient deck. It relies heavily on flipping the objective, using the 7-side bonuses and spreading out to maximize the battle destiny bonus. Your goal is to spread out, make them pay for deploying guys to overflow you, then dealing significant damage on the attack back. It helps that the deck draws a lot of cards off of Senator Mon Mothma and has some of the best activation in the game.

The soft character restrictions on the 0-side and bonuses on the 7-side decide many of the cards that are included in the deck. But the last 20 or so cards are what makes the deck work well or not so well against different decks.

The most popular version of Diplo starts Heading for the Medical Frigate. There’s a speeder version, and various non-speeder beatdown versions. I've seen 12 card versions, but I think the search chains that Heading provides are just better.
GENERAL STRATEGY
Spoiler
Show
Setup: Your initial target is to flip as early as possible without getting destroyed by overflow. You can accomplish this by deploying a second ship to Chandrila and transferring the Tapes to the second ship. If you get lucky, you can flip turn 1 off of a cheap ship + Owen and Beru.

Midgame: Once you are flipped, you will need to setup a strong spread of characters on Tatooine and in space in order to maximize the bonus damage on the 7-side of your objective. Speeders are a good way of protecting your weak characters from weapons, but the speeders are vulnerable to some weapons. Your space package can vary pretty heavily, but maximizing Tantive IV is a great path to space superiority. Diplo (like many LS decks) will rely on tricks to keep their characters alive (Rebel Barrier, I Think I Can Handle Myself, They’re Tracking Us v).

The game will take a few different directions mid-game depending on the matchup. You can spread out and drain them a whole bunch everywhere or you can try to stack up a few bodies and deter them from coming after the sites you do control. You can have games where you’ll eat through their Ghhhk in the first battle, and then still have enough to hammer them with overflow in a second battle.
Likewise, you cannot afford to ignore DS, as their objectives can be very powerful.

Late game: At this point, you should make sure to control multiple locations, regardless of which direction the mid-game went. Key cards to get cards back are Tatooine Celebration, Weapons Display v, and A Weakness Can Be Found’s retrieval. Diplo rarely wins by 20 plus cards, but can often grind out games that are close.
KEY CARDS

CHARACTERS:

Rebels:

In order to flip and use the 7-side of the objective, you need to play Rebel characters. The good news is that there are a lot. One of your goals is to draw battle destinies as much as possible and grab Rebels that provide +1 to your battle destinies everywhere. The battle destiny bonus is really good at creating attrition/overflow, to the point that I don’t run many weapons in my deck.

Every deck:
Spoiler
Show
Senator Mon Mothma
No longer deploys for free, but 2 pays for itself when you get Chandrila, which is your first stop on your way to Alderaan, and draws a bunch of cards. She is the reason to start Strike Planning.

• Captain Hera Syndulla

The GMTv mirror is really good in a deck that will play 10+ rebels in an already Imperial heavy meta. She’s useful in space and on the ground. If your opponent has Imperials, she’s 2 destiny on any ship with a permanent pilot. The best case draw of Hera + Bail + Captain Antilles on turn 1 is 3 destiny that goes through Zuckuss in Mist Hunter (you can leave Captain Antilles as the only pilot on Tantive IV to bait ZiMH and deploy her for a huge overflow).

• Jyn Erso

o Useful in general. She’s a spy for deploying at non-battlegrounds, she draws destiny on her own, and she’s +1 to battle destiny everywhere once flipped.

• Leia Organa (V)

o Useful in general. She’s a spy for deploying at non-battlegrounds, she draws destiny on her own, and she’s +1 to battle destiny everywhere once flipped. With Bail out, she’s +1 to your drain as well. If you don’t use her, both Rebel Princess and General work well.

• Bail Organa

o Bonus destiny on Tantive IV, adds bonus drains for Alderaans, and immunity to weapons for Tantive IV makes him a must-include. The immunity is very important against Invasion, as they usually run Laser Cannon Battery to hit ships that threaten Naboo. I sometimes deploy him on the ground with Luke/Ben if Captain Antilles is on Tantive IV just to threaten more drains.

• Lando Calrissian, Scoundrel

o An essential part of any beatdown plan. The bonus destiny is really strong, just watch out for Darth Vader, Emperor’s Enforcer/Dark Lord of the Sith.

• Owen Lars & Beru Lars

o Deploy free to Moisture Farm, draw a destiny on their own, and give +1 destiny.

• R2-D2 & C-3PO

o Immune to everything and forfeit 7 while at Tatooine system. They stop you from running Threepio with Parts Missing, but that’s about it.
Most decks:
Spoiler
Show
• Luke Skywalker, Rebel Scout (V)

o He replaces Young Skywalker, who no longer exists. He’s not a 6 destiny like LSJK, but if you draw him for destiny, you get a free Jedi Lev. The extra cost for your opponent to use a weapon is a help, especially with Antilles Maneuver v.

• Admiral Raddus

o Free Rebel that’s a pilot. Pulls Corellian Corvette, and boosts Diplo’s flipside. The biggest weakness is that he’s a spud. If your opponent is running YAB, you’re stuck with him as part of a 3+ person stack or he’s just an overflow machine.

• Ahsoka Tano

o She’s immune to EPPs, is a Rebel, and ITA < 6. If you run I Think I Can Handle Myself, she’s even better.

• Captain Raymus Antilles

o He’s great on Tantive IV – gives immunity to Lateral Damage and attrition < 5, +1 battle destiny, and +1 drain with Bail.

• General Airen Cracken

o Draws a battle destiny on his own, and draws 2 destiny while with Sabine/your spies.

• Commander Narra

o Draws a battle destiny on his own, draws a card, +1 BD, and he’s a copilot for Wedge Antilles, Red Squadron Leader. I like him more in Speeders.

• Toryn Farr (V)

o She’s great as a pilot on Bright Hope. She’s enough to give +3 battle damage and a destiny on it. The 4 destiny is also really solid.

• Chirrut Imwe

o Good stats for the cost. You get some destiny control, and the free recirculate is really strong late-game.

• Corran Horn

o Draws destiny on his own, and can shut off spies. I generally just drain race too well to care about spies shutting off one site.

• Captain Cassian Andor

o Spy who deploys for 3. He cancels a destiny, but doesn’t draw on his own. He’s great as part of a beatdown plan.

• Chewbacca, Protector

o He cancels a surprising number of character’s game texts, but he’s pretty dead vs a mains deck. You can use Quite a Mercenary v to pull him, which helps. Notable targets include Jabba the Hutt v, ISB agents, 4-LOM w/ Concussion Rifle, Dengar w/ Blaster v, non-combo Dr. E, FN-2003, General Veers v, Greedo v, Jodo Kast (shutting down Hidden Weapons is hilarious), P-60, Ponda Baba v, Probot, and R’tic H’weei.

Might include:

• Sabine Wren

o Good power/defense/forfeit to cost ratio. She’s great as part of a beatdown stack. No immunity to attrition hurts, as does her not drawing destiny on her own.

• Ben Kenobi

o Bringing back a guy is really strong, but only deploying to Tatooine can hurt in some matchups. Fun fact: if he eats an Imperial Barrier, you can drop another character or two at the same site, beat down, and then Ben can save someone.

• General Crix Madine

o Fetches General Cracken, Sabine, and Cal Alder v.

• Theron Nett (V)

o Maul protection and weapon protection in space. Rogue Squadron pilot as well. Antilles Maneuver v can pull him as well.

• Wedge Antilles, Red Squadron Leader

o Cancels a destiny when with another Red/Rogue Squadron pilot. I like him more in Speeders than anything.

• Admiral Ackbar (V)

o Key card for space battles, due to deploy cost and Rebel Leadership v. He is only worth playing with Home One.

• First Officer Thaneespi

o Very good with Ackbar v and Haash’n. Good stats, female (works with I Think I Can Handle Myself) and the Zuckuss ability can be huge.

• Major Haash’n.

o Lateral protection, low deploy cost, adds hyperspeed and works with Thaneespi. Competes with Theron Nett v for a spot.

• Kanan Jarrus

o He kills the Emperor and Emp in Shuttle.

• Cal Alder (V)

o Good with General Crix, as he can shut off weapons.

• Captain Yutani with Blaster Cannon

o Pullable with General Crix. Shooting to adjacent sites is actually fairly strong, if you can stack him with someone else to scare away attacks (Ben Kenobi works well at this)

• Corporal Beezer

o Alderaanian for the Bail drain bonus and prevents reacts. Worth playing with a lot of other scouts.

• Tycho Celchu(v)

o Alderaanian for the Bail drain bonus, spy, and can steal TIE's v. TTO (mostly Saber 1)

• Baze Malbus with Cannon

o Soft counter to Dr E (he shoots if Dr E operates post-Maul). Decent as part of a stack of characters.
Rebel persona variants:
Spoiler
Show
• General Calrissian

o Second target for Strike Planning. His 3 ability makes him a good second pilot to overcome Zuckuss in Mist Hunter, and he’s +1 BD. You can start Squadron Assignments and use Strike Planning to get him + Falcon and deliver the Tapes turn 1.

• Captain Han Solo

o He’s pretty much only playable on the Falcon. I found myself unable to find both consistently, so I turned him into Solo.

• General Solo (V)

o You can search up interrupts during battle. There aren’t really many I must have to win battles most of the time.

• Chewie, Enraged

o Better vs Imperials, but the maintenance is probably not worth it.

• Obi-Wan Kenobi (V)

o Getting back one specific card is pretty strong. I find that my lost pile generally isn’t big enough that I need to use his ability.

• Obi-Wan Kenobi non-v

o He sends Stormtrooper Garrison away. Otherwise, he’s a cheap Rebel with good stats and ITA < 5.

• Obi-Wan with Lightsaber

o EPP Obi-Wan, great at killing Lord Sidious. I don’t use him any more because of the lack of immunity (and killing the value of their Force Field v).

• Luke with Lightsaber

o EPP Luke. I think Young Skywalker is just better because of drawing cards and retrieving.

• Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight

o Destiny 6 over destiny 1 + auto redraw. I prefer drawing a card, not needing Like My Father Before Me, and the retrieval.

• Luke Skywalker (V)/Luke Skywalker, the Rebellion’s Hope

o Good pilots and a reason to run Artoo in Red 5. Your space is usually pretty decent, so having him there doesn’t help as much as you want. I prefer Young Skywalker as another Jedi vs Hunt Down.
Resistance, Aliens, and Republic:
Spoiler
Show
They don’t help your objective at all, but some of them are just too good not to run.

Autoincludes:

• Rey

o She does everything you want – draws destiny on her own, pulls from the used pile, and draws a bunch of cards. She’s good on a ship, and good on the ground.

Probable includes:

• Poe Dameron

o Fantastic pilot, adds battle destiny and immunity to attrition. The downsides are that he’s not a Rebel and he’s a spud on the ground.

• Solo
o Adds a battle destiny with Rey or Chewie, draws if unable to otherwise and gets an Interrupt from Lost Pile. Heading for the Medical Frigate is pretty strong to replay if you get to clear an extra guy.

• Chewie With Bowcaster
o Can shoot vehicles. High deploy and low defense value makes him a little less attractive option than Solo and Rey. I’m running Protector because of Rebel, but I can see why you’d run this Chewie.

• Padmé Naberrie v
o Very good in the meta with Vader being common.

• General Leia Organa
o More retrieval, and you can get her with Strike Planning. She’s 3rd on my list of Leias for this deck, though.

Might includes:

• Aayla Secura
o Female for I Think I Can Handle Myself, Jedi to flip Hunt Down, and you can get her with City Outskirts. Decent stats for deploy cost.

• Ahsoka Tano with Lightsabers
o Female for I Think I Can Handle Myself and has weapons. If you have a heavy EPP base, she might be worth looking at

• Phylo Gandish
o Deploys for free, and gives a drain bonus. She’s great stacked with Sabine (5 power, a destiny, and they lose 2 force if you win). Before Lord Sidious, that stack was the bane of SYCFA.

• Harc Seff v
o This deck activates enough that he doesn’t do a whole lot. But if you need more activation, he’s there.

• Anakin Skywalker
o Sometimes used as a good pilot and high-ability character. Pretty bad against Hunt Down though.
Droids and other lower life forms:
Spoiler
Show
• 2-1B or FX-7
o If you play Bacta Tank, those are interesting choices to make the Tank even more efficient.

• C1-10P (Chopper)
o Immunity to Lateral Damage, defense bonus vs weapons, and can shut off helper characters like Grand Moff Tarkin v, any Boba Fett, or ISB agents.

• Jar Jar Binks
o Interesting meta choice against CCT and TTO. If he kills IG-88 on turn 1, CCT’s gameplan just evaporated.

• Artoo, Brave Little Droid
o Really strong against a turn 1 Lateral Damage beatdown and negating a battle destiny is strong. The combo is better so you don't eat a Set for Stun and get set back a bunch of turns or have a ship dropped on you turn 1.

• Threepio with Parts Missing
o Runnable if you start Artoo, Brave Little Droid.
Starships:
Spoiler
Show
One of the biggest strengths of Diplo is starting Tantive IV – you should always pick the virtual version. There’s a bunch of other slots for starships, and you have your pick of good ones.

• Tantive IV v
o You start with it, and it usually lasts the game.

• Bright Hope v
o Second most common ship in Diplo. Works with Tantive IV to shut down space battles.

• Gold Leader in Gold 1
o Forces them to pay to draw a battle destiny, great as part of a big deploy turn when they run out of leftover force in their force pile.

• Profundity
o Can be pulled with Rebellions Are Built On Hope, which you can start. Cheap deploy, great power/deploy ratio, and works well with the Mon Calamari package (Haash’n, Ackbar v, Thaneespi) if you also run Home One.

• The Falcon
o Matching ship for Rey and Solo.

• Luminous
o Enough speed to get to Alderaan on turn 1. It’s a transport for Toryn Farr.

• Leia’s Resistance Transport
o Pulls Rey for free and is a transport for Toryn Farr.

• Ghost
o Matching ship for Hera, also fast enough to go to Alderaan on turn 1. Good power for deploy, but no permanent pilot hurts it.

• Spiral
o Deploys as a react for dirt cheap (5 power for 2 force). It's great if you leave ships open as bait for space-light DS decks to try and score free victories with - something like Tantive IV with droids and Mon Mothma or Bright Hope that's all alone is pretty tempting to try and beat down. Spiral gets you that battle destiny you want.

• Masanya / Corellian Corvette
o Masanya has slightly better stats than Corellian Corvette, but Raddus pulls Corvette. I’m not in love with either, tbh.

• Redemption
o Gets back a Rebel. I’ve used it to bring back Hera for the bonus destiny battle (she’s usually a bonus destiny) or Toryn for the boosted battle destiny. Even Kanan is worth bringing back vs Emp in Shuttle.

• Artoo-Detoo in Red 5
o Matching ship for Luke Skywalker v/Rebellion’s Hope. A destiny of whatever you need as well. If you want, you can run Luke Skywalker for a super-big spin, but that seems gimmicky. You'll need to get the droid combo killed off, so this is probably not worth running. You usually lose the droids if DS deploys a ship to Chandrila to disrupt your flip.

• Home One
o Launching the Assault can be pulled by Wokling v. Great at holding Tatooine for Tatooine Celebration, but it’s pretty expensive to deploy.

• Obi-Wan In Radiant VII
o Prevents Maul from cloaking, has good stats and a pilot slot.
Interrupts:
Spoiler
Show
Diplo relies on several interrupts, many of them defensive. Diplo can run 15-20 interrupts.

• A Jedi's Resilience
o Mandatory if you are running EPPs.

• Alter (v or non-v)
o Just as for many other LS decks, Diplo wants to remove annoying effects from table and cancel Sense. Effects to remove include Broken Concentration, Strategic Reserves v, Scum and Villainy, Blast Door Controls, Sunsdown combo and Lateral Damage.

• Artoo, I Have a Bad Feeling About This
o You start the pair of them as one card. It can be blowout central if you time it right. General Solo gets it for you, or Solo can replay it for twice the blowouts.

• Antilles Maneuver v
o Weapons protection, pulls Captain Antilles, Toryn Farr, and Theron Nett v. Also very good late game to track a destiny 5. Can be 2x in a deck.

• Control & Tunnel Vision
o Generally not worth it, since Diplo draws a ton of cards. But you can search up some of your Rebel silver bullets.

• Dodge
o It's a solid answer to their characters with lightsabers (EPP or otherwise). The move-away is shielded, so be aware of that.

• Double Agent
o Removal for ISB's characters. If you are worried about spies, this card is tech against them.

• Harvest
o It’s a trap! It seems tempting, given that you run Owen + Beru + Moisture Farm, but most DS players pull out Code Clearance once they hit, and this shuts off more retrieval than you’ll get back, generally.

• Heading for the Medical Frigate
o Your starting interrupt.

• Hear Me Baby, Hold Together v
o Cancels Hidden Weapons and gets you a shield.

• Houjix + Escape Pod & We’re Doomed
o Self-explanatory. You want to run at least one of each, maybe a 2nd of one.

• I Think I Can Handle Myself
o Diplo runs a few females, and this card both protects them from weapons and provides a much needed drain bonus. Can be played 2x.

• Inconsequential Barriers
o Important if you are worried about Set For Stun or Imperial Barrier ruining your day (mostly Set for Stun).

• It Could Be Worse
o The classic. Because Diplo can’t run Threepio with Parts Missing, it’s less good than other decks.

• It’s A Hit!
o Cancels a bunch of annoying interrupts, mainly Elis Helrot or Limited Resources. Drain cancelling is huge in some matchups.

• Jedi Mind Trick v
o You give up a lot of icons, so it’s easy for your opponent to overcommit. Canceling a battle or making them short on force for maintenance/Draw Their Fire is big. It sits around a bunch, but it can win games when it hits.

• Jedi Levitation v
o You run a lot of warm bodies, so redrawing them into better destinies is a big help.

• Keep Your Eyes Open v
o It shuts off space weapons, and it can save you from needing to Houjix for when Maul kills Owen + Beru. I’ve had a bunch of times when Owen + Beru just win that fight, and Bail/Theron v stop weapons from shooting up Tantive IV.

• Might of the Old Republic
o Gets Bail, who pumps your drains and makes Tantive IV a very unappealing target. It can also get Leia Organa v. Solid play as a 2-of.

• Narrow Escape
o If they go for a big-time beatdown (especially at Cantina/Mos Eisley), this gets you out of jail for that turn. If they have maintenance guys that they were planning on forfeiting (Broken Fett), that hurts even more.

• Odin Nesloor & First Aid
o It helps vs EPP Maul and Dr E. Canceling a react is sometimes useful vs Greedo in Court, since he’s 6 forfeit in space.

• Old Ben
o It’s a free revive. It can be a blowout if you rip off most of their doom stack and can swing back.

• Out of Commission & Transmission Terminated
o There’s a bunch of holograms that see play (Visage, Image of the Dark Lord, The Phantom Menace, Specter of the Supreme Leader). Against Mains, a lucky draw for placing out of play can be crippling (Vader/Vader’s Lightsaber in Hunt Down, for instance).

• Quite a Mercenary v
o It pulls Chewie Protector, stops U-3PO, and cancels Elis Helrot in one card. The smuggler text is also really good. Dr E, Ponda Baba v, Dr E + PB combo, Ephant Mon, and Wooof v are all smugglers. I’ve won more than a few battles because they expect to trade Dr E + PB combo for one of my people.

• Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobi & Quite A Mercenary 4
o Lower destiny and doesn’t pull Chewie Protector, but it does a damage to Court/CCT and exclude scrubs going after your Jedi. This needs some testing for me to recommend it over QAMv.

• Perimeter Scan v
o Alternative to Hear Me Baby v, if you are more worried about Trample and Maintenance cards than Hidden Weapons.

• Rebel Barrier
o Don’t rely too much on this, but it can be fantastic to set up a counter-beatdown/run away in Diplo. I’m running it as a 2-of.

• Rebel Leadership v
o It does a ton of stuff. You can run anywhere from 0-2 and be correct. If you are running Home One + Ackbar, you’ll want 2-3.

• Rescue in the Clouds v
o It’s real good. Trackable 5, protects against Gravity Shadow, and it counters Close Call.

• Sense
o Using this on cards at the right time can win games for you. Trooper Assault/All Power to Weapons/Imperial Command/Force Lightning are some of those for me.

• Starship Levitation
o This deck runs a lot of ships, so being able to redraw their low destinies is great. Retrieving a Bright Hope v/Profundity at the right time can swing a game.

• They’re Tracking Us v
o Program Trap can be annoying, so a good utility interrupt for Diplo. It also mucks with their destinies for stuff like Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith. Fun fact: if they draw a battle destiny of 1, setting their battle destiny to 0 can be a quick trip to blowout city. Can run 2x.

• We’re Doomed
o Self-explanatory.

• You Do Have Your Moments v
o Redraws one of your many low destinies or their important destinies. I find myself using it Lost to break immunity to attrition or clear an extra character a bunch. I once had Toryn Farr + Hera in Bright Hope take down an Executor off of this after an Imperial Command.
Effects:
Spoiler
Show
Diplo typically runs several effects, apart from the ones you can start. I always start Strike Planning and I Must Be Allowed to Speak v.

Starting:

• Anger, Fear, Aggression
o Because shields are really important.

• Stolen Data Tapes
o Because you need to. The sooner you deliver them, the more likely it is that you get to choose from good cards instead of one of the 3 left.

• Strike Planning
o Key card as part of your search chain. Usually pulls Mothma/Crix Madine for me.

• I Must Be Allowed to Speak v
o Key card to start as well. Grabs Lars Moisture Farm and gives me 2-4 free used pile pulls.

• Insurrection or Insurrection & Aim High
o I could consider the combo version because I like a shield over +1 forfeit on a few people.

• Evacuation Control v
o Powerful against Senate and BHBM especially. I start it vs Endor Ops and Crush the Rebellion.

• Tatooine Celebration
o Huge swing in drain races. Watch out for Endor Occupation. If they have it, you'll need to retrieve it and replay it if you want it again. Two turns of retrieval is usually enough to empty my Lost Pile, though.

• Battle Plan & Draw Their Fire
o You get to battle for free, their interrupts are more expensive, and you might be the deck that most easily satisfies BO/BP. The biggest downside is that they won’t waste a shield pull on Battle Order.

• Mantellian Savrip
o It’s countered by one of the most played Dark Side cards (Cold Feet v, Masterful Move, or MM/Endor Occupation combo), but discarding bodies from hand (especially LSRSv) is real strong.

• Wokling v
o A bonus force and free retrieval. It’s good if you run Launching the Assault or Projection of a Skywalker.

• Squadron Assignments
o Get pilots + their ship. If you want to run this plan, this is one of your starting interrupts. I think the capital ships + support starfighters plan works better.
Other options:
Spoiler
Show
• Bacta Tank
o Great card, especially when you reach the “control” part of the game. Watch out for Cold Feet v.

• Echo Base Garrison
o If you run more than 2 speeders, this is a decent choice.

• Projection of a Skywalker
o Reduces the drain on a site. You can grab it with Wokling or just have a floating 5 destiny.

• What're You Tryin' To Push On Us?
o Second grabber, especially for Endor Ops, where you want to grab both Imperial Command and SRF & WYB. The Don't Do That Again shield lets you pull it, and Wise Advice lets you deploy it for free.

• Strikeforce v
o Second grabber that you can start.

• Honor of the Jedi
o Reduces the damage from all of DS’s direct damage (Visage of the Emperor/TTO). No Escape does shut it off, though.

• Ounee Ta
o Get a key card back from Lost Pile.

• Launching the Assault
o Gets you Home One, and gives you a drain bonus. You can start Wokling to pull this. It’s card intensive in a deck that’s already low on free slots.

• Rebellions Are Built On Hope
o Pulls Profundity, which is key against Court. Can also give you a little activation boost.

• Menace Fades
o Shuts off drain bonuses. I find myself looking for it with Stolen Data Tapes/one of my used pile pulls more than starting it.

• You Got A Lot Of Guts Coming Here
o If you are expecting a lot of Scum, this is decent. Shutting off their retrieval is really strong. Depending on your deck, 6-7 characters in the deck can get a bonus from it as well.
Locations:
Spoiler
Show
Your objective and Mon Mothma will pull all of your locations. Most decks run Tatooine, Chandrila, and Alderaan for systems. Likewise, most decks run Dune Sea, Lars Moisture Farm v, and 1-2 other sites.

• Tatooine
o Go with the Coruscant version as your starting location. Both sides have great text for you.

• Tatooine: Dune Sea
o Starting location. The “DS needs 6 ability to draw battle destiny” is great vs decks with low-ability characters. I usually park my first character on the ground here.

• Chandrila
o Great stepping stone to get to Alderaan with Tantive IV. You can deploy a ship here, ship-dock, and go to Alderaan on turn 1 as an option. The bonus activation is great for you.

• Alderaan
o I generally only go here once to drop off the Tapes. This deck likes going to BGs, so hiding here doesn’t do much.

• Tatooine: Lars Moisture Farm v
o Free movement for Owen + Beru and Anakin. The drain penalty is conditional, but it can help.

• Tatooine: Mos Eisley
o The old Cantina shuffle is still strong.

• Tatooine: Cantina
o Unlike WYS, they activate here. But draining for 2 is still draining for 2.

• Tatooine: City Outskirts
o Gets you a Jedi (Obi-Wan, Luke, or Aayla)

• Tatooine: Docking Bay 94 or Tatooine: Mos Espa Docking Bay
o Works well if you run Phylo and/or Rebellions are Built on Hope.

• Tatooine: Tosche Station
o It generates a bunch of extra force for you. I think the deck activates enough that you don’t need it.

• Endor: Back Door
o Fetchable with General Solo. It also lets you move into the Bunker vs Endor Ops/TTO.

For site arrangement, I prefer Moisture Farm-Dune Sea-Mos Eisley-Cantina. The goal is to get your opponent’s characters stuck at bad sites, and Dune Sea is a bad site for non-mains.
Weapons and devices:
Spoiler
Show
• Han’s Toolkit
o Very powerful tool to protect your speeders from Crash Landing and Sunsdown combo if you are a speeders deck.

Vehicles:
Speeders are very useful for Diplo to protect key characters, and move all over Tatooine, and extra powerful with Wedge Antilles.

• Dash In Rogue 10
o Built-in immunity, probably the best speeder.

• Rogue 1
o Good stats.

• Rogue 3
o If you run more than 2 speeders, this is a definite choice.
Admiral’s Orders:
Spoiler
Show
With the emergence of General Leia/Grand Admiral Thrawn v, Aos have dropped off in play. But it could still make sense to run Capital Support, as you have a bunch of playable Generals for the ground.
CARDS TO WATCH OUT FOR AND COUNTERS
Spoiler
Show
Diplo is a very powerful deck. However, there are plenty of cards and combos that are bad for the deck.

• Darth Vader, Emperor’s Enforcer or Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith
o Emperor’s Enforcer is the scariest Vader for Diplo, as he can cancel everyone’s game text. Makes Padmé more important if you run her. I find myself stacking 4 ability with two characters if I see him. Dark Lord of the Sith is slightly easier, but you’ll want to have a They’re Tracking Us v.

• Darth Maul with Lightsaber
o Deploy wide to minimize getting blown out by him. You can win a surprising number of battles vs just him off of huge battle destiny bonuses.

• Darth Maul or Lord Sidious
o Hope to draw Luke/Obi-Wan/Ahsoka. You can counter Lord Sidious with 3+ bodies for overflow.

• Set For Stun
o Usually targets characters aboard your ships so DS can use their weapons or multiple battle destinies in space. If you are running Inconsequential Barriers, save it for this. If not, hope to have a Sense.

• Lateral Damage
o Blowout card in space. Captain Antilles, Chopper, and Alter help here. With a really good starting hand, you can They’re Tracking Us v, then Antilles Maneuver v for Captain Antilles if they deploy turn 1 Lateral Damage.

• Elis Helrot
o Some decks like CCT and FO Trooper decks rely on beatdowns, so watch out for a big Elis move. If you start Insurrection, then don’t worry about it.

• Slave 1, Symbol of Fear + Boba Fett v + Admiral Ozzel
o It feels like this happens every time vs Endor Ops. I start Evac Control v vs Endor Ops for that reason.

• Laser Cannon Battery on Devastator or SFS 7.2 Laser Cannon on Scythe 1
o Getting Tantive IV blown up on turn 1 is a huge setback for the deck. Hope to have a capital ship in your opening 8.

• Court
o Their space package is real strong and it pulls all of the ships. You need to get lucky with Savrip if you’re running it.

Speeders hate:

• Sunsdown & Too Cold For Speeders
o Ridiculous card against speeders as it makes it super easy to hit them with weapons. The main reason to play Han’s Toolkit and Alter.

• Crash Landing
o Another too powerful counter. Toolkit helps. Speeders can be a bit silly themselves, but counters like Crash Landing and Sunsdown combo are too much of a blowout.

• P-59 & Dengar with Blaster Carbine
o The 2 most common characters to try and shoot your vehicles/characters.
Last edited by Apollyon on November 14th, 2020, 10:49 am, edited 15 times in total.

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Re: Diplomatic Mission to Alderaan (Diplo) primer

Post by Apollyon »

Sample decklists:
Spoiler
Show
Scouts:
Spoiler
Show
Diplomatic Mission To Alderaan/A Weakness Can Be Found
Tatooine
Tatooine: Dune Sea
Tantive IV (V)
R2-D2 & C-3PO
Stolen Data Tapes
Heading For The Medical Frigate (+3 Effects)
Anger, Fear, Aggression (V)

Admiral’s Orders:
Capital Support

Characters:
Bail Organa
Ben Kenobi
Cal Alder (V)
Captain Cassian Andor
Captain Hera Syndulla
Captain Raymus Antilles
Chewie With Bowcaster
Commander Narra
Corporal Beezer
Corporal Delevar (V)
Corran Horn
Endor Commando Team
General Airen Cracken
General Crix Madine
General Solo (V)
Jyn Erso
Lando Calrissian, Scoundrel
Leia Organa (V)
Owen Lars & Beru Lars
Rey
Sabine Wren
Senator Mon Mothma
Toryn Farr (V)
Young Skywalker
Zeb Orrelios

Effects:
Bacta Tank
Evacuation Control (V)
I Must Be Allowed To Speak (V)
Insurrection
Menace Fades
Strike Planning

Interrupts:
Antilles Maneuver (V)
Escape Pod & We’re Doomed
Houjix (x2)
Jedi Levitation (V)
Might Of The Republic (x2)
Narrow Escape (x2)
Perimeter Scan (V)
Rebel Barrier

Locations:
Alderaan
Chandrila
Jabba’s Palace: Antechamber
Tatooine: City Outskirts
Tatooine: Lars’ Moisture Farm (V)

Starships:
Bright Hope (V)
Gold Leader In Gold 1 (V)
Luminous
Spiral
Savrip:
Spoiler
Show
Starting:
Diplomatic Mission To Alderaan/A Weakness Can Be Found
Tatooine
Tantive IV (V)
R2-D2 & C-3PO
Stolen Data Tapes

Characters:
Rey
Solo
Captain Hera Syndulla
Captain Raymus Antilles
Commander Narra
Corran Horn
Chewbacca, Protector
General Airen Cracken
General Crix Madine
Leia Organa (V)
Jyn Erso
Senator Mon Mothma
Sabine Wren
Owen Lars & Beru Lars
Major Bren Derlin (V)
Young Skywalker x4
Anakin Skywalker, Padawan Learner
Padme Naberrie (V)
Poe Dameron
Obi-Wan Kenobi (V)
Kanan Jarrus
Bail Organa

Effects:
Evacuation Control (V)
I Must Be Allowed To Speak (V)
Menace Fades
K’lor’slug (V)
Mantellian Savrip
Insurrection
Strike Planning
Tatooine Celebration

Interrupts:
Dodge
Houjix
It’s A Hit!
Might Of The Republic
Old Ben
Sense x3
Escape Pod & We’re Doomed x2

Locations:
Tatooine: Cantina
Tatooine: Mos Eisley
Chandrila
Alderaan

Starships:
Bright Hope (V)
Profundity
Redemption (V)
Tantive IV (V)
Speeders:
Spoiler
Show
Starting:
Diplomatic Mission To Alderaan / A Weakness Can Be Found
Tatooine
Tantive IV (V)
R2-D2 & C-3PO
Stolen Data Tapes

Characters:
Bail Organa
Bodhi Rook
Captain Hera Syndulla
Captain Raymus Antilles
Commander Luke Skywalker (V) (x2)
Commander Wedge Antilles (V)
Derek ‘Hobbie’ Klivian (V)
General Calrissian
Jyn Erso
Kanan Jarrus
Leia, Rebel Princess
Owen Lars & Beru Lars
Poe Dameron
Rey
Senator Mon Mothma
Zev Senesca

Effects:
Echo Base Garrison
Maneuvering Flaps (V)
Our Most Desperate Hour
Squadron Assignments
Strike Planning
Tatooine Celebration (x2)
What Chance Do We Have?
Wokling (V)
Yoda’s Gimer Stick

Interrupts:
A Few Maneuvers
Antilles Maneuver (V)
Artoo I Have A Bad Feeling About This
Control & Tunnel Vision
Free Ride & Endor Celebration
Harvest
Jedi Levitation (V)
Lost In The Wilderness
Out Of Commission & Transmission Terminated
Rebel Barrier
T-47 Battle Formation
We Wish To Board At Once

Locations:
Alderaan
Chandrila
Tatooine: Tosche Station

Starships:
Obi-Wan In Radiant VII
Spiral
The Falcon

Vehicles:
Dash In Rogue 10
Rogue 1
Rogue 2
Rogue 3

Admiral’s Orders:
Combined Fleet Action (x2)
Draw Their Fire Battle
Spoiler
Show
Starting:
Diplomatic Mission to Alderaan
Tatooine (Ep 1)
Tantive IV v
R2-D2 & C-3PO
Stolen Data Tapes
Heading for the Medical Frigate
Battle Plan & Draw Their Fire
I Must Be Allowed to Speak
Strike Planning
Anger, Fear, Aggression

Characters:
Bail Organa
Ben Kenobi
Captain Hera Syndulla
Captain Raymus Antilles
Captain Yutani with Blaster Cannon
Chewie with Bowcaster
Commander Narra
Corran Horn
General Leia Organa
Jyn Erso
Lando Calrissian, Scoundrel x2
Leia, Rebel Princess
Owen Lars & Beru Lars
Poe Dameron
Rey x2
Senator Mon Mothma
Solo
Toryn Farr v
Young Skywalker

Effect:
Evacuation Control
Down With the Emperor v x2

Interrupts:
Antilles Maneuver v
Artoo, I Have a Bad Feeling About This
Dodge
Escape Pod & We're Doomed
Free Ride & Endor Celebration
Houjix
It's a Hit
Jedi Levitation v
Keep Your Eyes Open v
Nabrun Leids
Rebel Barrier
Perimeter Scan
They're Tracking Us v x2

Starships:
Bright Hope v
Gold Leader in Gold 1 v
Profundity
Spiral

Locations:
Alderaan
Chandrila
Tatooine: Lars Moisture Farm v
Tatooine: Mos Eisley
TurboDiplo (Spaceport Speeders):
Spoiler
Show
Starting: Diplomatic Mission to Alderaan
Tatooine (Ep 1)
Tantive IV v
R2-D2 & C-3PO
Stolen Data Tapes
Don't Tread on Me v
Anger, Fear, Aggression

Locations:
Tatooine: Mos Eisley x2
Chandrila
Home One: War Room

Characters:
Corran Horn
Chewie With Bowcaster
Obi-Wan Kenobi v
Bail Organa
Admiral Ackbar v
Leia, Rebel Princess
Luke Skywalker v
Captain Hera Syndulla
Senator Mon Mothma
Padme Naberrie v
Rey
Solo
Mirax Terrik

Weapons:
Obi-Wan's Lightsaber

Starships:
Home One

Vehicles:
Eopie x4
Luke's X-34 Landspeeder

Interrupts:
How Did We Get Into This Mess? x7
Spaceport Speeders x5
Rebel Leadership x2
It's a Trap! x2
We're Doomed
Sense
On the Edge
Sorry about the Mess & Blaster Proficiency
Keep Your Eyes Open v

Effects:
I Must Be Allowed To Speak v x2
Launching the Assault

Admiral's Order:
Capital Support
General opening and alternate-start early turns for most three-effect Diplo decks:
Spoiler
Show
Delivering Stolen Data Tapes is also a hard requirement to flip your objective, so one of your goals is to deliver Tapes as early as possible. The sooner you deliver them, the bigger your choice in what card you get from it is. Delivering on turn 3 generally means that you pick from like 5 cards.

Turn 0 - deploy Strike Planning, I Must Be Allowed to Speak v, one effect. If you have Might of the Republic, use that to pull Bail. Search up Mon Mothma and your second target (if I don't have a second pilot/Bail for T4, I get Gen Cracken for the battle destiny, if I do, I get Crix), deploy grabber.
Turn 1 - get Alderaan with objective (if no Alderaan, get other Tatooine site), Mothma, Mothma gets Chandrila, get Moisture Farm v with IMBATSv, move T4 to Chandrila, draw a bunch of cards.
DS turn 2 - if you have Ant Man v, grab Capt Antilles (bonus points if you wait until after they play Lateral Damage), use Might of the Republic to pull Bail. Pull any leftover sites.
LS turn 2 - deliver Tapes to Alderaan. Take the best card that you have. I find myself grabbing Rey or Houjix a bunch, but it depends on what the game looks like at that point.
LS turn 3 - Pull any leftover sites. Drop a rebel on Tatooine, move T4 back to Chandrila to flip.

From there, spread out to maximize your bonus from the A Weakness Can Be Found. I find myself parking T4 above Tatooine to hold the system for Tatooine Celebration, and occasionally sending down Bail/Mothma as a second character to boost drains/the BD bonus.

Alternate starts:
If you run Falcon, you can deploy it, ship-dock, and deliver the tapes turn 1. If you open Bright Hope v, you can deploy that at Chandrila, move T4 there, ship-dock, and move BH to Alderaan to deliver.
Last edited by Apollyon on March 14th, 2018, 2:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Apollyon »

Matchups:

Good:
Spoiler
Show
Invasion
• Invasion uses a bunch of battle or destroyer droids and Neimoidians to flip.
• Battle Droid Blaster Rifles are destiny 8 in the deck, and a big reason why the deck is good. They can be used to shoot characters, forfeited to use pile and re-deployed from Lost Pile plus they let You’ll Be Dead deal damage.
• Tey How can reduce damage on drains, flip side is super annoying and the amount of recursion can keep Invasion in most damage races.

What Invasion does well against Diplo:
• Characters can be shot down with the Rifles, or destroyer droids.
• Tey How can cancel early drains.
• Constantly recurring droids can give Invasion more characters late-game than Diplo.

What Diplo does well against Invasion:
• Strong space, that can spread out to 2-3 systems. Forcing Invasion to battle in space, which they don’t really like, because they have to commit too much to space.
• Bail Organa is a hard counter to Invasion's normal method of space protection (Laser Cannon Battery).
• Can potentially spread to several sites, which is also difficult for Invasion.
• Lots of weapon protection is good against the rifles.

General strategy:
• Flip, put Bail on Tantive 4 and send it to Naboo. They'll usually run, as you should have a minimum of 2 destiny + forfeit fodder.
• Find evasion cards, battle in space, and spread on the ground while trying to avoid the weapons.
• The key is overflow. If they are stuck with a mediocre hold on a site after they engage, drop a few guys and try to overflow them hard. Screaming Lando/Sabine are both useful there.
• Diplo should, if played correctly, be slightly favored in the matchup.

Agents Of The Black Sun (AOBS)
• Emperor and a mix of Black Sun agents deal ping damage, manipulate decks and add attrition.
• Popular versions are AMN start for 4-LOM v, or 12-card hand. AOBS rarely needs 3 effects.

What AOBS does well against Diplo:
• Tricks like Hidden Weapons, Program Trap, and multiple battle destinies can cause troubles.
• If Luke is removed from the table, it can quickly turn for the worse.
• If you clear Xizor, the second Xizor can deny battle destinies to Rey and Chirrut.
• Cad Bane can clear a lone Young Skywalker or Obi-Wan.

What Diplo does well against AOBS:
Young Skywalker will keep AOBS on the 0-side as long as he stays on the ground. If Emperor's not out, you can retrieve a Force.
• Stronger space (Falleen's Fist is a huge "overflow me" target) and loads of interrupts that are good against the tricks AOBS rely on.
• 7 side can deal with the damage, and the destiny reduction is good against tricks like Hidden Weapons.

General strategy:
• Flip as soon as you can.
• Hidden Weapons is a solid choice to grab.
• Deploy your first character to Dune Sea, as it usually shuts off their multiple destiny drawing without 3+ guys.
• They’re Tracking Us v, Barriers, and a Houjix for overflow are big.
• Diplo is definitely favored in the matchup, as AOBS can have a hard time without Program Trap being a reliable weapon.

Court Of The Vile Gangster (Court)
• Court Scum plays a bunch of different aliens, with the help of Scum & Villainy.
• Court pulls it activation with objective and Jabba’s Haven, gets its starships from the objective AND does damage if LS can’t go to Tatooine early.
• Court can play reactive, aggressive and defensive with tons of aliens, Hidden Weapons, Stunning Leader, and bounty hunters.

What Court does well against Diplo:
• Early pressure, Audience Chamber can be uncontested for entire games.
• Easily sets up in space, and can use its entire deck to battle on Tatooine.
• Their space is safe from Tatooine's battle destiny limiting.
• Broken Concentration can be very powerful if they run it.

What Diplo does well against Court:
• Diplo wants to deploy a bunch of guys to Tatooine, so Court's drain usually isn't terribly strong.
• Space is strong, a stacked Tantive IV can draw enough destinies that Elis/Zuckuss eat overflow.
• Key cards to find are Rebel Barrier and They're Tracking Us v for Hidden Weapons.
• Young Skywalker gets free retrieval, and he's surprisingly tough to clear.
• If you have a Guts build, find Han, and they can't retrieve with Scum.
• Once you flip, your destiny + 3 is generally higher than most of their destinies are.

General strategy:
• Flip and keep an eye on your piloting ability on T4. A turn 2 Zuckuss in Mist Hunter can set you back.
• Find a second ship to deal with Elis that will be showing up Tatooine early for that drain of 3.
• Try to stack multiple guys on multiple sites to force them into bad trades. Be ready to counter-beat after they have a mediocre clear.
• If possible, cancel Scum with Alter. The Scum retrieval is one of the main things that can let Court win the match.

Bring Him Before Me (BHBM)
• Puts Emperor at the Death Star II: Throne Room along with Emperor’s Power to add battle destiny in all battles.
• Plays heavy mains, like Dark Jedi, that can draw a battle destiny on their own. Usually accompanied by a token space package like Zuckuss and Elis.
• either 12-card or AMN 4-LOMv start.

What BHBM does well against Diplo:
• Can get 2 battle destinies from turn 2 in any battle, so you will have to be careful before you are set up.
• Your Destiny does a lot of damage pretty fast, as they'll usually end up with 1-2 more power in battles.
• Darth Vader, Emperor's Enforcer is really strong vs Diplo's low-ability utility team.

What Diplo does well against BHBM:
• Stronger space with multiple places for drain racing.
• Despite Diplo giving up a bunch of icons, BHBM's activation is kinda shaky.
• Lord Vader is a bit of a spud vs Diplo. His toughness doesn't really come up much, and he should never miss vs your low defense guys without that.
• If you run Out of Commission/Transmission Terminated, hitting an early Vader is crippling.

General strategy:
• Start Evac Control.
• Flip ASAP.
• Stack a few big guys on a site, set up Tatooine Occupation, and try to avoid a beatdown.
• Key cards are Barriers, I Can Take Care of Myself, and Antilles Maneuver v.

This Deal Is Getting Worse All The Time (Deal)
• Uses the objective to set up Dark Deal on Cloud City.
• Free Executor (This Deal Is Getting Worse All The Time) controls Bespin, while Walkers take over the sites.
• Can also be played without Deal, not flipping, and just Cloud City Occupation for damage.

What Deal does well against Diplo:
• Executor is difficult, but not impossible to touch. It is also difficult to contest any walkers on the Cloud City sites early.
• If Deal foregoes their general game plan (setting up on Bespin) they can be quite strong when battling, thanks to General Veers v, Trample and similar cards.

What Diplo does well against Deal:
• Can eventually set up a more spread-out space to drain race them/run away, as Diplo generally runs 4-6 ships.
• Can win the grindy matches thanks to bonus drains from Bail and Leia and Tatooine Celebration retrieval.

General strategy:
• Flip early while Deal sets up on Bespin.
• Find protection from Trample (They’re Tracking Us v), and drop a few guys on Tatooine. Veers gets around Dune Sea, but AT-ATs can't go to the Cantina or Antechamber.
• If they drop turn 1 Executor, it's not easy. If they don't, it's a pretty winnable matchup.
Bad:
Spoiler
Show
That Thing’s Operational (TTO)
• TTO is a space deck with control elements, using the power of TTO to deal tons of damage.
• Strong, fast space package. Pulls most of its activation.
• Superlaser Mark II and TIE cannons can wreak havoc in space.

What TTO does well against Diplo:
• Sets up somewhat risk free as Tantive is usually running to Alderaan.
• Space weapons and multiple battle destinies can make contesting systems difficult.
• Combat Response is a huge weakness for Diplo because it can stack up too many destinies fast.

What Diplo does well against TTO:
• Spies can show up early to hit Jerjerrod in the Bunker.
• Bail is necessary for Tantive to stay alive vs the deck's weeapons.
• Good ground puts a lot of pressure on TTO to keep finding more Mauls to throw into characters that draw a destiny + 3 or 4.

General strategy:
• Start Evac Control, and hope that they whiff on Boba Fett v + Slave 1.
• Flip as fast and safely as possible. Spread out if you have a Houjix, as their usual plan is "EPP Maul + spies".
• Get Bail ASAP on Tantive IV to threaten their space (especially Mianda + ship or Superlaser).
• Key cards for the matchup are Barriers (for Dr E combo), Corran Horn (for their spies), Antilles Maneuver v, Bail, and Escape Pod/We’re Doomed. The matchup is not great, but winnable.

Endor Operations (EOPS)
• EOPS can be mains focused, space focused or a mix.
• 3 effects and Any Methods Necessary starts are the two popular versions.
• The objective pulls Ominous Rumors and Establish Secret Base v, so flipping can be done on turn 1. The Bunker gets you Endor Shield v, and usually Establish Control v gives you Fondor and extra activation for docking bays. Generally pulls most important cards, but can also put a lot of cards on table.

What EOPS does well against Diplo:
• Can put early pressure with a turn 1 Slave 1, Boba and Admiral Ozzel.
• Limits you to one battle destiny in all battles when flipped, which is bad for Screaming Lando and Bail.

What Diplo does well against EOPS:
• You have several spies to deal with Establish Secret Base v.
• Their space is generally fairly strong, but if you can keep guys on the ground, you're in good shape.

General strategy:
• Start Evac Control.
• Slave 1 to Tatooine will set your flip back one turn or possibly blow you out. Hope to draw They're Tracking Us v + Rebel Barrier or Ant Man v for Captain Antilles.
• If they don't blow you out on turn 1, you're generally in decent shape. If you somehow draw turn 1 TTU + Barrier, you can drop Bail/Screaming Lando to try and eat through Slave 1.
• EOPS has fewer tricks than CCT or Senate, so if you survive DS turn 1, you're decent, but not great.

Imperial Entanglements (IE)
• IE is like Diplo, a control deck that plays on multiple sites and its related system.
• IE sets up 2 powerful Star Destroyers early on, and is difficult to contest on the Tatooine sites.
• IE sets up Tatooine Occupation with ease, and has a powerful 7 side.

What IE does well against Diplo:
• Can battle on turn 1 vs Tantive 4 (and can pile on some pretty good overflow). If they run Laser Cannon Battery and see it on turn 1, the game is a blowout.
• AT-STs and AT-ATs are good at fighting on Tatooine sites.
• If it's the Trooper build, everyone is deploy 2 and forfeit 6+. Stormtrooper Garrison is an overflow machine. Watch out for Trooper Assault. Your EPPs will be really useful here.

What Diplo does well against IE:
• Both want to be on Tatooine. If you can survive the early beatdown, you can draw more destinies than they can at the system.
• Many of the strengths of IE are the same strengths Diplo has. Starts a ship on table, powerful 7 side, plays big capital starships, can occupy multiple battleground locations. Ben Kenobi is a monster that IE doesn't get, especially when combined with an EPP.
• IE is stuck with nothing but Imperials, so Hera and Sabine are always eager to apply some beatdowns.

General strategy:
• Hope to survive turn 0. If you do, shuttle up the droids and run away.
• Your first deploy to a site should be at Dune Sea, as they'll need a bunch of guys there to draw destiny.
• This is a really bad matchup because of the turn 0 beatdown. If you survive turn 0, you're in decent shape.

ISB Operations (ISB)
• Usually sets up a big blue space package, and a bunch of agents on Vehicles and Star Destroyers.
• Gets drain bonus from the objective, while reducing yours.
• Very much a control deck, thriving on negating any damage LS does, while trying to get some drains in here and there, and retrieving an agent per turn.

What ISB does well against Diplo:
• Negates a lot of the damage/drains Diplo can deal.
• Very difficult to kill the ships and vehicles, with agents like Tarkin v, Treidum v and Kallus onboard.
• Tarkin v is really strong because he shuts off the one destiny that Diplo normally draws.

What Diplo does well against ISB:
• ISB is slow, so Diplo can flip safely early on.
• The space package is evenly matched, and if Diplo can clear Mara Jade in ship, they should be able to get free drains in.

General strategy:
• Start Evac Control.
• Flip fast. Find space cards.
• Try to win space battles. If ISB wants to survive in space against a loaded Tantive 4, they have to put cards like Tarkin v in space. That makes it easier to battle on the ground.
• Don't try to win attrition wars, if you show up at their site, be ready to clear multiple people at once.
• ISB is favored, but Diplo can run counters like EPP Ahsoka Tano, Menace Fades, and Lieutenant Blount to help with the matchup. Try to find ways to deal extra damage, like spies to a non-battleground late game.
Ugly:
Spoiler
Show
Hunt Down And Destroy The Jedi (HD)
• HD is an aggressive mains deck, with lots of Dark Jedi.
• It thrives on dealing fast damage, with Visage of The Emperor and early drain pressure on sites.
• Runs heavy ground package, twixes and a smaller token space package (if any at all).

What HD does well against Diplo:
• HD with high destinies can be annoying if HD sets up fast.
• If Luke is killed, HD will deal tons of damage. Also, Leia and Anakin are rather useless against HD when it’s flipped.

What Diplo does well against HD:
• Cancel Visage with multiple spies that can deploy to the Holotheatre.
• Much stronger space allows Diplo to drain in space (watch out for the flip side, and keep Leia on the ground).
• Diplo generally runs Young Skywalker and Obi-Wan to flip back HD.
• An early Out of Commission/Transmission Terminated placing Vader out of play is fatal to the deck.

General strategy:
• Flip ASAP, and get ready for a really grindy match.
• Find a spy and cancel Visage.
• Watch out for multiple battle destinies from Grand Moff Tarkin v or Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter.
• HD is a 50/50 matchup. Find Houjix, set up a solid stack on the ground, don’t waste characters (like deploying Leia when HD is flipped) and be conservative.

My Lord, Is That Legal? (Senate)
• Typically a 12-card start, with 8-10 senators, a few Squabbling Delegates and Senate Hovercam to set up at the Senate and flip.
• Plays a heavy space package and a ground package which usually consists of EPP Characters.
• Rarely plays Political Effects these days, but rather uses the text of the good senators.

What Senate does well against Diplo:
• Can easily set up a strong space with Emperor in shuttle and Zuckuss in Mist Hunter.
• Attrition bonus and other senators game text is very powerful.
• Free Mauls who can move around.

What Diplo does well against Senate:
• If Diplo can survive onslaughts in space, you can flip and spread on the ground.
• The ground package in Senate is less annoying for Diplo, so you should be able to survive there vs their mains.
• While senate can be very powerful in space, Diplo is generally stronger. Between multiple battle destinies and A Weakness Can Be Found adding to total, Emperor's Shuttle can eat some serious overflow. I generally try to Barrier Shuttle and then drop Produndity + Hera for a pretty serious beating.

General strategy:
• If Senate flips turn 1, they can quickly set up Emperor’s Shuttle. Be prepared for it when you try to flip. You can drop Goldenrod once they drop Shuttle if they don't have enough Force. If you run Kanan, he's a strong out to Emperor.
• The game will generally be decided in space, so your focus should be there.
• Key cards are Barriers and Tatooine Celebration (watch out for Masterful Move/Endor Occupation).
• Senate is a grindy matchup and it all depends on surviving in space. Evacuation Control v is a good counter card if they start Combat Response.

Carbon Chamber Testing (CCT)
• CCT is either a 12-card deck or starts Any Methods Necessary to guarantee IG-88v in your opening hand. 12-card is currently the more popular version.
• CCT thrives on battling.
• IG-88v finds all the needed tricks for every specific matchup.

What CCT does well against Diplo:
• Can battle all over Tatooine sites with high power and multiple battle destinies. If CCT gets a good start, they can battle you early on Tatooine with Emperor’s Shuttle, Emperor and Tarkin (although they are limited to 1 destiny if ZiMH doesn't show up).
• The threat of Carbon-Freezing is real. You're stuck eating 8 damage.

What Diplo does well against CCT:
• The 7 side lets you win a whole bunch of battles that you shouldn't.
• CCT's space is pretty mediocre. Dominate space and drain them out.
• Their EPPs are pretty much spuds once you flip, so you can trade free Owen + Beru for EPP Maul.

General strategy:
• If CCT goes for an early Carbon Freeze attempt, focus on flipping, since you're stuck losing 8 cards.
• Hope to draw Tatooine Celebration to start retrieving back those 8 cards.
• Key cards are Barriers, I Can Take Care of Myself, Houjix, and Ant Man v.
• CCT will attack you heavily on the ground, so I generally prefer to spread out and make them trade an EPP for a spud who can draw destiny. At some point, they are going to run out of EPPs. Watch out for First Strike.
• CCT is slightly favored, but it's winnable.

I Want That Map (MAP)
• Starting interrupt gives MAP a chance to flip turn 1 with Kylo and his shuttle, maximizing the potential on the 7 side right away.
• Plays Bow with Kylo, Hux and Phasma followed by tons of troopers, trooper assaults, and Finalizer.

What MAP does well against Diplo:
• Map can usually flip turn 1, which is bad for Diplo. They threaten 5 damage turn 2.
• Can, with a good hand, battle anything LS deploy turn 1, on their turn 2.
• The flip side shuts off retrieval. BB-8 isn't worth running, so you're stuck eating it.

What Diplo does well against MAP:
• If they have a stacked Finalizer, you can run away and drain race them on the ground.
• Diplo gets better people (outside of Kylo).
• Out of Commission/Transmission Terminated shuts off Specter. If Kylo's left alone, he's a pretty major beatdown target (if you can drop 2 Rebels and Sabine, DS loses 4 force + whatever overflow you get).

General strategy:
• Flip and see what they do.
• If they go heavy space early, you should be able to take them once you flip. If not, you can drop guys to beat down anyone left alone. Make sure that you stack multiple people, as Map generally drops like 5 guys at once. Save a Sense for Trooper Assault. That card is just too good.
• You can generally drain race them, especially if you Alter their Strategic Reserves.
• Winnable, but tough. Make sure that you complain about how broken their search chain is, and how Strategic Reserves and Bow are just too good compared to their non-FO counterparts. You can also talk about how TFA was Episode 4 with more action and TLJ was worse than the Holiday Special.
Last edited by Apollyon on March 27th, 2018, 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Apollyon »

Version 0.1 is up! If anyone wants to give it some editing, I'd appreciate it!

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Thanks for the summary, and I think the list of cards to watch out for is particularly helpful for newer players. Two comments:

In the section on luke personas and then in starships, you mention artoo in red 5. I've never actually seen this in diplo and it seems sketchy to me because you start with an artoo on table. Same reason you wouldn't play threepio with his parts showing, right?

Second, you mention saving sense for Endor occupation (when describing tatooine celebration). The relevant part of Endor occupation is immune to sense. I don't personally like celebration in diplo because it is frequently cancelled but it is worth mentioning as a possibility.

Thanks again, nice job.

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Apollyon »

stimpy wrote:Thanks for the summary, and I think the list of cards to watch out for is particularly helpful for newer players. Two comments:

In the section on luke personas and then in starships, you mention artoo in red 5. I've never actually seen this in diplo and it seems sketchy to me because you start with an artoo on table. Same reason you wouldn't play threepio with his parts showing, right?

Second, you mention saving sense for Endor occupation (when describing tatooine celebration). The relevant part of Endor occupation is immune to sense. I don't personally like celebration in diplo because it is frequently cancelled but it is worth mentioning as a possibility.

Thanks again, nice job.
Artoo in Red 5 is playable if you lose the droid combo. It happens a bunch - you go to Chandrila and they drop a ship there to try and delay you.

I forgot that Endor Occupation was Immune to Sense. Thanks for that!

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

General Cracken doesn't add with Crix. I also agree that no other versions of R2 or Threepio are playable unless you are doing a weird alternate start that doesn't have the combo made specifically for this deck. You will rarely lose the droids until after you flip, at which point the AiR5 ship isn't going to do very much for you. I don't know if I've ever lost Artoo and Threepio before flipping, and if you do so (and intend to flip still), the ship seems too situational and not enough to help get you back in the game. There are other things that would be more useful, such as a Falcon or even Luminous.

Some other characters I like to play with:
EPP Captain Yutani (scout to pull with Crix, ability 1 rebel to use against CCT to prevent Aaaa Aiiii Aghhhh.
Ensign Chad Hilse (drain +1 from bail, synergy with tons of rebel leaders)
Obi-wan kenobi is far better than Ben Kenobi in my experience. Even if you have just a few cards in lost pile, you are likely to have a key card that can help a ton to play it again (houjix, KYEOv, leia organa, bacta tank, a ship, etc). Plus he works with Leadership if you're playing that.
No mention of farmboy luke? He seems much more automatic to me (for my style) than Young Skywalker.

Not sure if you want to talk about variants of the deck, but Reid's HDWGITM version is entirely different than most diplo builds today, but is still very relevant to know about.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Another deck priming masterpiece.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

timeofyouppi
GEMP Username: timeyouppi

Post by timeofyouppi »

You should always run at least one houjix, and often times 2 with 1-2 pullers since you spread out a lot.

If you run EPPS, you need 2-3 A Jedi's Resilience.

Corran Horn goes in every deck as he's probably the only UC spy stopper you have. Works with Wedge, RSL as well. If you are expecting a meta heavy with UC spies and/or ISB, Double Agent is an excellent niche card working with Corran, Jyn, Cassian, and Leia Organa V.

Spiral is another good choice for the 4th starship.

Dodge is a very useful interrupt that you should usually play at least 1 of.

There is also a 12-card start version that uses 4-5 Might of the Republic. It hasn't been as good as the three effect version since the Fett/Ozzel/Slave 1 EOPS blowout became possible though, but it's still out there.
Last edited by timeofyouppi on March 9th, 2018, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ban Monnok and Grimtaash

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Apollyon »

quickdraw3457 wrote:General Cracken doesn't add with Crix. I also agree that no other versions of R2 or Threepio are playable unless you are doing a weird alternate start that doesn't have the combo made specifically for this deck. You will rarely lose the droids until after you flip, at which point the AiR5 ship isn't going to do very much for you. I don't know if I've ever lost Artoo and Threepio before flipping, and if you do so (and intend to flip still), the ship seems too situational and not enough to help get you back in the game. There are other things that would be more useful, such as a Falcon or even Luminous.

Some other characters I like to play with:
EPP Captain Yutani (scout to pull with Crix, ability 1 rebel to use against CCT to prevent Aaaa Aiiii Aghhhh.
Ensign Chad Hilse (drain +1 from bail, synergy with tons of rebel leaders)
Obi-wan kenobi is far better than Ben Kenobi in my experience. Even if you have just a few cards in lost pile, you are likely to have a key card that can help a ton to play it again (houjix, KYEOv, leia organa, bacta tank, a ship, etc). Plus he works with Leadership if you're playing that.
No mention of farmboy luke? He seems much more automatic to me (for my style) than Young Skywalker.

Not sure if you want to talk about variants of the deck, but Reid's HDWGITM version is entirely different than most diplo builds today, but is still very relevant to know about.
I thought Crix was a scout. Everyone else from the Endor set is... I'll fix that.

I've lost my droids about 1/4 to 1/3rd of the time. Usually at Chandrila. I agree that Artoo in Red 5 needs a lot of work to be good.

Yutani keeps dropping off around card 65 or so. I'll add some text on him, though.

I don't think I've ever seen Chad get played. He just seems like a giant liability, but I can add him to Might Play. I haven't see Aiiii! Aaa! Agggggggggg! played out of CCT - usually they want captives on Iggy.

I ran OWKv for a little while, but I rarely used his ability. I have retrieval for most of the other sources of stuff to get back (characters and ships). I run Evac Control over Leadership, but I could see using OWKv over Ben with Leadership. I'll expand on him.

Farmboy Luke is right underneath LSJK. He's definitely a better pilot, but against decks that want Jedi/Luke on the ground (Map, Hunt Down, Black Sun), Young Skywalker's less of a liability at a site.

I haven't seen How Did We Get Into This Mess get played. It makes sense as a mulligan card on turn 1, but I generally find that my bad hand problems are solved by "play some stuff to clear out my hand, draw a bunch of cards". Once I'm in the middle of the game, I have a ton of draw between Mon Mothma, Young Skywalker, Jedi/Starship Lev, used pile pulls...

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Apollyon »

timeofyouppi wrote:You should always run at least one houjix, and often times 2 with 1-2 pullers since you spread out a lot.

If you run EPPS, you need 2-3 A Jedi's Resilience.

Corran Horn goes in every deck as he's probably the only UC spy stopper you have. Works with Wedge, RSL as well. If you are expecting a meta heavy with UC spies and/or ISB, Double Agent is an excellent niche card working with Corran, Jyn, Cassian, and Leia Organa V.

Spiral is another good choice for the 4th starship.

Dodge is a very useful interrupt that you should usually play at least 1 of.

There is also a 12-card start version that uses 4-5 Might of the Republic. It hasn't been as good as the three effect version since the Fett/Ozzel/Slave 1 EOPS blowout became possible though, but it's still out there.
Thanks. I made the Houjix section more clear and added the "might try 2" - I haven't really needed to, since I'm used to a ton of search.

I added AJR, Spiral, and Dodge. I'm less excited about Dodge, since I plan on losing characters anyways - usually for someone more expensive (Maul, Lord Vader).

I'll move Corran up a tier. He keeps being really average for me.

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Apollyon wrote:I don't think I've ever seen Chad get played.
https://www.starwarsccg.org/wp/2017-us- ... -day-1-ls/
4-0 Day 1 with Diplo led to 2nd place! :-D
Apollyon wrote:I haven't seen How Did We Get Into This Mess get played.
viewtopic.php?f=936&t=62395
2016 World championship Day 3, 2nd place Reid Smith. I don't think the deck lost for him once. He even faced a Turn 1 Voyeur for like 6 force in the semi-finals and still won. It's still a good deck, just has a good bit more variance than the established 3 effect versions. You almost always get a massive turn 1, where you can cycle your entire deck to find what you need, activate 15-20, and set yourself up to go hard at opponent turn 1 if they deployed anyone, or turn 2 if they wait. Anyone going up against 12 card diplo has to be prepared for this and plan turn 1 accordingly until they figure out which version it is.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Apollyon »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
Apollyon wrote:I don't think I've ever seen Chad get played.
https://www.starwarsccg.org/wp/2017-us- ... -day-1-ls/
4-0 Day 1 with Diplo led to 2nd place! :-D
I stand corrected. Is he in your list still?
Apollyon wrote:I haven't seen How Did We Get Into This Mess get played.
viewtopic.php?f=936&t=62395
2016 World championship Day 3, 2nd place Reid Smith. I don't think the deck lost for him once. He even faced a Turn 1 Voyeur for like 6 force in the semi-finals and still won. It's still a good deck, just has a good bit more variance than the established 3 effect versions. You almost always get a massive turn 1, where you can cycle your entire deck to find what you need, activate 15-20, and set yourself up to go hard at opponent turn 1 if they deployed anyone, or turn 2 if they wait. Anyone going up against 12 card diplo has to be prepared for this and plan turn 1 accordingly until they figure out which version it is.
Is this the Spaceport Speeders combo deck? I'd need to learn more about how the deck works (and put it in its own variants section when I get to it later).

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Savrip is also a great card for this deck. So many characters, and mothma means you always have a few in hand when you lose a battle. Deploys for free most of the game too.

I would mention that the deck tends to put a lot of cards on table, and has really low destiny if you're on the zero side. Zuckuss is also a card you generally don't want to see in space, a lot of the cards you stack on tantive aren't actually pilots.

Some sample decklists would be nice before posting as well.

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Apollyon »

seitaer wrote:Savrip is also a great card for this deck. So many characters, and mothma means you always have a few in hand when you lose a battle. Deploys for free most of the game too.

I would mention that the deck tends to put a lot of cards on table, and has really low destiny if you're on the zero side. Zuckuss is also a card you generally don't want to see in space, a lot of the cards you stack on tantive aren't actually pilots.

I haven't seen Savrip on table. I know that he's good, but Houjix does the same thing (and isn't canceled by Masterful Move). Most of my battle damage comes in the form of 1-3 or 30 (Trooper Assault blowouts).

Zuckuss in Mist Hunter can be a problem or a speed bump, depending on how you draw. I love baiting him with Tantive 4 + Captain Antilles/Poe with Hera waiting in hand for the blowout. General Calrissian is another 3 ability pilot to help scare away Zuckuss.

I'll do decklists soon (particularly since we have the Decklists page on the main site). I wanted to get out a first draft.

stealtheblind
GEMP Username: shaw67193

Post by stealtheblind »

Apollyon wrote:
seitaer wrote:Savrip is also a great card for this deck. So many characters, and mothma means you always have a few in hand when you lose a battle. Deploys for free most of the game too.

I haven't seen Savrip on table. I know that he's good, but Houjix does the same thing (and isn't canceled by Masterful Move). Most of my battle damage comes in the form of 1-3 or 30 (Trooper Assault blowouts).

Zuckuss in Mist Hunter can be a problem or a speed bump, depending on how you draw. I love baiting him with Tantive 4 + Captain Antilles/Poe with Hera waiting in hand for the blowout. General Calrissian is another 3 ability pilot to help scare away Zuckuss.

I'll do decklists soon (particularly since we have the Decklists page on the main site). I wanted to get out a first draft.
Savrip is more about maintaining board presence than it is a constant houjix. I wouldn't consider it an auto include for most variants but some are built to abuse it.
Gregory Shaw

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Apollyon »

stealtheblind wrote: Savrip is more about maintaining board presence than it is a constant houjix. I wouldn't consider it an auto include for most variants but some are built to abuse it.
Interesting. Do you have a sample list?

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

For the Spaceport speeders deck, what was the reason for including the Eopie as the vehicle of choice? High destinies and cheap deploy?
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

shawnd1984 wrote:For the Spaceport speeders deck, what was the reason for including the Eopie as the vehicle of choice? High destinies and cheap deploy?
Don't forget about riding them with Padme! But yeah 5 > 3 (luke's speeder). Also the Eopies are cheaper. The extra destiny to activate with luke's speeder is nice but not always needed. I believe we were running 1 luke's speeder and the rest eopies.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

stealtheblind
GEMP Username: shaw67193

Post by stealtheblind »

Apollyon wrote:
stealtheblind wrote: Savrip is more about maintaining board presence than it is a constant houjix. I wouldn't consider it an auto include for most variants but some are built to abuse it.
Interesting. Do you have a sample list?
Check the MPC lists from January for an admittedly unrefined version played by myself, Mike Kessling, and Jeremy DiPaolo.
Gregory Shaw

Return to “Primers and Tutorials”