Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 8.55.08 AM.png (903.22 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Decklist
Spoiler
Show
STARTING
1x Anger, Fear, Aggression (V)
1x Hoth
1x Careful Planning (V)
1x Hoth: Main Power Generators (1st Marker) (V)
1x Hoth: North Ridge (4th Marker)
1x A New Secret Base
1x Aim High
1x K'lor'slug (V) OR 1x Superficial Damage

CHARACTERS
1x Chewie With Bowcaster
1x Lando With Blaster Pistol
1x K-2SO (Kay-Tuesso)
1x Ahsoka Tano
1x Baze Malbus With Cannon
1x Captain Hera Syndulla
1x Captain Yutani With Blaster Cannon
1x Derek 'Hobbie' Klivian (V)
1x Ezra Bridger
1x Han With Heavy Blaster Pistol
1x Leia With Blaster Rifle
1x Luke Skywalker, Rebel Scout (V)
1x Sabine Wren
1x Zeb Orrelios
1x Anakin Skywalker, Padawan Learner
1x Rey

EFFECTS
1x Bacta Tank
1x Echo Base Garrison
1x Echo Base Operations

INTERRUPTS
1x Artoo, I Have A Bad Feeling About This
1x Effective Repairs & Starship Levitation
2x Escape Pod (V)
2x First Aid
1x Houjix
1x Perimeter Scan (V)
1x Rescue In The Clouds (V)
2x Slight Weapons Malfunction
3x Stay Sharp!
2x The Bith Shuffle & Desperate Reach
1x Weapon Levitation

LOCATIONS
1x Hoth: Echo Command Center (War Room)
1x Hoth: Echo Corridor
1x Hoth: Echo Docking Bay

STARSHIPS
4x Acclamator-Class Assault Ship

WEAPONS
4x Concussion Missiles
4x Rock
Exploiting Rock

Spoiler
Show
Rock is a great card for beatdowns. Together with cards like Aim High, permanent weapon-using (EPP) characters and Stay Sharp! you can get a lot of power against non-vehicle decks. There is a lot of room for experimenting with different platforms and variants, so this is just an early version to play around with. Have fun!

I’ve been experimenting a bit with builds around Rock and so far I like this one the best, because it gives you more card slots for other stuff and only needs 7 cards (locations, A New Secret Base non-v) to get your activation going. I had used the Diplomatic Mission to Alderaan (Diplo) objective as a platform before but it was just less focused. I think you could risk making an even more ground oriented build but with this platform, you don’t have a big ground drain against Dark space decks.

Beatings generally go as follows: attack with at least 2 guys, usually one is an EPP with a blaster, another throws a Rock. Rock makes its target power -3, you get +5 power from Aim High, another +5 from Stay Sharp, then sometimes add destiny with Slight Weapons Malfunction or combining Han with Heavy Blaster Pistol (EPP Han) or Captain Hera Syndulla. It’s easy to get to power 30.

Note that Ahsoka Tano (Jedi persona) and Sabine Wren can throw 2 Rocks because they have 2 warrior icons. Ahsoka and Sabine are the only characters that can get a lot of power on her own.

Alternatives

Spoiler
Show
You may want to focus more on EPP Han, have him in multiple times in the deck (+ the interrupt Where’s Han?) to add more of and exploit Bad Feeling About This. You’d then try to have lower power than opponent by combining him with a smaller guy like Derek 'Hobbie' Klivian (V). EPP Han also works well with Stay Sharp in space and is one of the best characters in the deck anyway I think, adding destiny with your Chewie, Luke or Leia personas (via her game text).

If you like this idea you may want to consider even more power boosters like Skull or The Garbage Will Do and I Can’t Believe He’s Gone (you can set that up quite easily playing Quiet Mining Colony objective, Harc Seff (V) can pull a 2nd immediate effect, Heroic Sacrifice that can place your Obi-Wan out of play).

Luke Skywalker, The Rebellion's Hope is also a card to consider but I’ve found it too difficult to find a nice platform to exploit his strengths.

What to watch out for

Spoiler
Show
Being able to protect against a counter beating is a thing…in some cases you can have a very effective attack, only to be forced to leave one EPP scrub on the table that cannot draw destiny, you have to be serious about preventing that and generally over deploy. This is a problem and right now I lean on Houjix + pullers and First Aid & Odin Nelsoor which is a mini Houjix besides leaving more guys on the table in certain battles.

There are also ways that a card that Aim High can be frustrated. Dr. Evazan (and combo) and Sniper & Dark Strike are popular examples of those, which is why I like K'Lor'Slug (V) now. Instead of K'Lor'Slug (V) you could run different solutions against Sniper & Dark Strike and Dr. Evazan, such as Put That Down (V), It’s A Trap or Odin combo. This way you could start We’re Leaving or Wokling (V).

Force Field (V) can also be problematic, preventing that 2nd shot to get +5 from Aim High. Particularly early, you’ll want to grab that (or Ghhhk, which could be gotten back via No Escape'd otherwise) and make sure you can fire three times, so attack with more characters.

Imperial Barrier is another card that can stop you dead in your tracks, so I run The Bith Shuffle & Desperate Reach for this reason.

Ghhhk is a must-grab because of No Escape. Generally, expect to have to bring the pain twice to win.

Also large walls of forfeit can be problematic. Decks like Invasion or Imperial Security Bureau (ISB) can set them up.

What about vehicles?

Of course, Rocks hardly put a dent in them. Walkers and AT-ST’s are not what you want to see. But you can start Superficial Damage instead of Aim High to forfeit your Rocks to your used pile to . You can loop Yutani or Chewie with Bacta and can shoot AT-ST's, can protect them a bit with a single Perimeter Scan (V) and Zeb Orrelios helps, but I'm not so sure all that will do. To give those vehicles more of a hard time you might need a completely different package of weapons (Blaster Rifle (V)), something which you could do with a Clone Trooper deck. Or you could play something like Profit which can pull Chewie With Bowcaster reliably or add 3 to Leia's Blaster Rifle's destiny with Sorry About The Mess & Blaster Proficiency. You won’t have room for Rocks in those decks. I guess what you could do is also focus more on space with this build.

Space

Spoiler
Show
The Acclamator package with missiles fits well into what’s already in the deck anyway: Slight Weapons Malfunction, Aim High, Stay Sharp! … against space decks you start with Superficial Damage instead of K'lor'Slug (V). You also lean more on Bacta Tank in that case and should try to set up EBO if you have enough cheap guys in hand besides Derek 'Hobbie' Klivian (V). You can put your Rocks on passengers and pilots in space and forfeit them too. One thing I really like is that EBO, if you can set it up for not too much force, can make the Concussion Missiles deploy -1. They fire for free and you can put multiples on a ship and fire both to use Aim High’s power bonus (but forfeit only one per ship in a battle). Multiple copies of Han would help you once more because he gets +2 when shooting with Stay Sharp. Also, having power 6 and possibly another +3 from EBO can add up nicely to overpower your opponent’s fleet. Shooting at star fighters with +1 multiple times is also dangerous for many packages.

Right now I also have a good spy package (all warriors too, which is important to throw rocks) which is nice against EOPS and SYCFA but I may want to change that, not sure if I need it. I could convert it a more Han-oriented build.
61st cards
Spoiler
Show
  • 

C1-10P (Chopper) - Not enough targets with ability < 3 to my taste with all the Inquisitors around;

• Clones with permanent weapons (Captain Rex, 501st Legion; CT-5385 (Tup) - bit too expensive, low forfeit
, no Episode 1 sites;
  • Val - not pullable like Derek 'Hobbie' Klivian (V)

;
  • Nabrun Leids - a couple of newer decks will like to start with Hoth: Defensive Perimeter (3rd Marker) which becomes a non-battleground via the Hoth Energy Shield. Generally you'll probably want to dedicate your guys wherever you attack first. Also I don't have the typical combo with Sorry About The Mess. Then again, mobility is always good and you could do that beatdown on Maul at Dathomire: Maul's Chambers. Right now, at least Ezra Bridger can pay him a visit.
  • Strikeforce (V) - second grabber.
Edit log
Spoiler
Show
30 Nov. 2020 - moved to P&T subform, formatting editing started - CRG
31 Nov. 2020 - first pass on formatting/editing completed - CRG
18 Dec. 2020 - CRG :!!: following internal discussion re: #deckprimertaskforce
Last edited by FlorisV on November 28th, 2020, 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Re: Between a rock and a Hoth place

Post by fungineer »

I put together your list in GEMP to make it easier for anyone else. To confirm, you're using ANSB Non-V, correct?
Rio Durant also has a double-warrior icon and may be useful.
Hoth CRv - BAR&AHP - FlorisV (11_28_20).txt
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Hoth CRv - BAR&AHP - FlorisV (11_28_20).txt
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

fungineer wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 10:38 am
I put together your list in GEMP to make it easier for anyone else. To confirm, you're using ANSB Non-V, correct?
Rio Durant also has a double-warrior icon and may be useful.

Hoth CRv - BAR&amp;AHP - FlorisV (11_28_20).txt
Thanks! Yes, it's ANSB non-v, simply to fetch the Echo cards.

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

Needs more Treva Horme (hiding under shield) and Draw Their Fire.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

sjacree wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Needs more Treva Horme (hiding under shield) and Draw Their Fire.
That's a good idea. Blowout against Barrier/Stunning Leader, Force Field or any battle interrupt, most notably the dreaded Ghhk.

lancer21
Starter
Starter

Post by lancer21 »

I should really try to integrate Imperial Barrier into my decks (and learn more about the meta), I'm experimenting right now and it was actually pretty effective, from what I noticed.

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

lancer21 wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 7:58 am
I should really try to integrate Imperial Barrier into my decks (and learn more about the meta), I'm experimenting right now and it was actually pretty effective, from what I noticed.
It's a classic, very versatile but extra good in space to stay alive while on the ground you can either stop an early opponent's attack and convert that into a beatdown, or play Sniper & Dark Strike as a follow up action. It has gotten extra good now that a shield that punished it has been blanked (Weapons Display v).

Rebel Barrier is equally amazing, but Blast Door Controls will cancel all of them. That card may seem a bit more play since the DS shield Firepower v has also been blanked, so escape cards like Narrow Escape will see more play and that makes Blast Door Controls a good card for DS, it also cancels Blast The Door Kid, another classic.

lancer21
Starter
Starter

Re: Decklist report: FlorisV's Hoth CP(V) - Between a Rock and a Hoth place

Post by lancer21 »

Thanks for the explanations about the card, it does sound like it's something I should definitely add to my desks! I'll do so, and add some feedback as soon as I play with these upgraded decks a couple times.

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

lancer21 wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 2:00 pm
...it does sound like it's something I should definitely add to my desks!
in my case my desks tend to be covered in cards and adding even more cards to them are the worst thing I could to do my desks :rimshot

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

I've made some tweaks since. Spies have been replaced by Baragwins and Nar Shadda Wind Chimes & Out of Somewhere. Baragwins are pretty aweseome for their card swap and retrieval, but also warriors that can carry a Rock. They have low power and forfeit which can actually be helpful for a hit and run (forfeiting all guys after a battle is safe) and for cards like Bad Feeling.

Thoughts after a first matchup against HD v that I gave up after not being able to muster up a second:

there's too much space in it for the meta, so space cards like Concussion Missiles and extra ships may be swapped for more stomping power on the ground.

I'd consider an extra Epp Han, Where's Han and an extra Bad Feeling, Nabrun Leids, plus Strikeforce v. Maybe an extra Weapon Lev but I don't like giving away too much that I'm playing that trick, since the lost function very often leads to "oh damn, forgot Weapon of a Sith". I was able to steal Vader's saber with it this time.

Grimtaash is another to consider. Plenty of players draw like mad until they have that Ghhk.

As for a lighter space package, I may even stick to just one Wild Karrde + Local Defense x2 to pull it and Strikeforce v.
If you go with missiles, one Concussion Missile won't do much because of Security Precautions v, so you'd have to play lots to make them really nice. Of course it was cool to exploit Aim High a bit further with them, as well as the -1 to deploying them that EBO gives.

OrehRuoy
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
GEMP Username: orehruoy

Post by OrehRuoy »

Update your decklist. I found the original fun to play.

Return to “Primers and Tutorials”