Twitch stream a joke?

Bochum, Germany
dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Re: Twitch stream a joke?

Post by dorshe1 »

FWIW I dropped out after about 40 minutes because of the quality of the stream. The commentary was great, but if you can't see what's going on, why bother?

Thanks!

Kimura
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Kimura »

Wait, I'm confused. Jake says he has seen better Euro streams before, but this was the first time a Euro event has been live-streamed?

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

Kimura wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 7:41 pm
Wait, I'm confused. Jake says he has seen better Euro streams before, but this was the first time a Euro event has been live-streamed?
I am pretty sure that they record them and then post them, not stream them live.

Thanks!

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Wokling wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 5:49 pm

This is completely uncalled for. The TDs, Jerry and Dan bent over backwards to make a stream available in Europe for the first time and deserve praise and thanks.
Preach, man. Thanks to all involved for the stream.
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

teh_brainiac
LS Region: Bespin
LS Region: Bespin

Post by teh_brainiac »

Kimura wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SjCDuEfs6Q&t=387s

this is what i remember watching, so it looks like it was prerecorded, which makes me wrong. this makes half my statement incorrect, but I still dont mind complaining about the resolution :epic:
just an above average minnesotan

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

teh_brainiac wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 7:49 pm
Kimura wrote:

this is what i remember watching, so it looks like it was prerecorded, which makes me wrong. this makes half my statement incorrect, but I still dont mind complaining about the resolution :epic:
Well then you know very little about streaming vs recording. Streaming uses bandwidth which recording does not. That is where the choke point is and why the quality isn't where it is for US events. For US events, we get usually 20+ mbps upload, which is enough to do 720p and a lot of times 1080p quality. This was on a bar internet which is probably 5-10 mbps because most businesses don't need a high upload so they will get what most basic residential service is. Then if it is wifi rather than plugged in, which I am assuming to be the case but it isn't at a lot of the hotels we play at, that will limit the upload even more.
mrfahrenheit7 wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 7:18 pm
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Why dont you volunteer to td a world level tournament and have every single thing go off without a hitch? Or offer to help purchase the pc a new camera? Maybe you could pitch in and help fund a faster internet connection for majors.
Constructive criticism is welcome.
The last thing you need to do is spill vitriol and rude comments about something that other people worked hard to put on for you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This is what people should do. It is hard work to coordinate streaming. I've done it and run worlds. I've done it and run Endor, Nats and much more. Hayes has done it and I think Schoenthal has. When you combine it with all of that, it can be exhausting, which any of them can attest to. No way the PC was going to fly someone over to Europe to do just the stream. It would cost to much. It would cost a lot to ship the equipment over there too. Euro's get worlds once every 5 years? I'd expect most of them to play in it rather than want to miss it. This isn't like over here where we have 5 majors a year. So they are short handed with lack of equipment. If someone wants to donate money to help them get it, then please do so.

For the US events, we have the best webcam on the market. We bought a very expensive camcorder that Baity recommended we upgrade to. Scott bought a very expensive laptop. We have good microphones as well. We pay for higher internet at hotels to make sure the quality is good. This can be upwards of 100 dollars a day (I think this is what we paid at Minn worlds). To get the quality people see in the states, we've spent 5-7k. If people would like to set up a gofundme for Europe equipment to match, please do so. If not, then stop complaining because you will look like a fool real fast and just come off as ungrateful.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

I definitely have not tried to mess with any aspect of streaming; I am not nearly that smart. Other than that, rhendon is spot on IMO.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

imrahil327 wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 8:04 pm
I definitely have not tried to mess with any aspect of streaming; I am not nearly that smart. Other than that, rhendon is spot on IMO.
Sorry I meant you controlled the computer and ran the event. Even that "simple" task is quite involved and exhausting.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

rhendon wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 8:17 pm
imrahil327 wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 8:04 pm
Sorry I meant you controlled the computer and ran the event. Even that "simple" task is quite involved and exhausting.
chris has done a lot of things regarding computers, but 'controlling' one is not one thing id say hes ever come close to ;)
Jerry H

Image Image

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

A lot of time and effort was spent trying to get a quality stream. Tom Kelly was literally waking up at 6am this week while on a European vacation and brainstorming ways to make the stream work. We spent a ton of time yesterday on it. The technological barriers (bandwidth) were insurmountable.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

TechTerror
GEMP Username: TechTerror

Post by TechTerror »

I was impressed with Jerry and Dan calling out what cards are being played that I couldn't discern. The commentator quality makes up for the lack of video. Thanks for your hard work guys!
Paul Coggins
GEMP username: TechTerror

Hobbie
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor

Post by Hobbie »

That kinda begs the question tho, right?

Was was worlds held in a bar in Bochum instead of a hotel in Berlin? Or Frankfort? Or Dublin?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

--Nate Davis

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

TechTerror
GEMP Username: TechTerror

Post by TechTerror »

Hobbie wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 9:30 pm

Was was worlds held in a bar in Bochum instead of a hotel in Berlin? Or Frankfort? Or Dublin?

If i ever go to Germany for worlds, I would like for it to be in a bar with good beer please. Worlds is for those who go, not for those who spectate, right?
Paul Coggins
GEMP username: TechTerror

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

teh_brainiac wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 11:11 am
3MW0J8 wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 10:33 am
It's Europe man they do what they want.

Just like the Americans all get listed in the pairings by their full names whereas the Euros are all the King, the Pirate, the Bird...

Oh those cheeky euros and their third world internet and hilarious alter egos! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sure would hate to see even a little amount of professionalism at a worlds type event!
Then don't watch the stream. It's that easy. Go on with your life. Read a book.
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

what steps could we take to increase the resolution for today? the issue was the resolution, not the glare? was the camera too far from the players?
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

Hazardville
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

WiseMarsellus wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 1:30 am
what steps could we take to increase the resolution for today? the issue was the resolution, not the glare? was the camera too far from the players?
I would personally say resolution was the most significant issue, though I admit I don't know enough about tech, especially in a bar in Germany, to offer any useful input on correcting that.

If it's at all possible to get a larger table for the streaming setup, that might help matters as the board would look less cluttered on camera. If it's practical to move the camera lower/closer to the table, that might help resolution. Glare only looked really bad late in the day when the natural light went away.

Overall, given the technological limitations, I thought the stream was excellent. The commentary as always was strong. Looking forward to catching some more tomorrow!
Justin Miyashiro

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

we could probably make a wider table happen today
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

if we were to stream directly instead of screen sharing does that affect resolution? we’d have to test our capability there still
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image

Hazardville
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

WiseMarsellus wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 1:44 am
if we were to stream directly instead of screen sharing does that affect resolution? we’d have to test our capability there still
Would that be possible while still having the commentary on the stream? It sounds likely that streaming directly would lead to better resolution, but could you get the commentators on the same broadcast without compromising that increased image quality? I really don't know the answers to those questions.
Justin Miyashiro

SmallDarkLines
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by SmallDarkLines »

Hobbie wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 9:30 pm

I’d be completely happy with Dublin.

Are the games being recorded at high definition?
If the low res is due to the bandwidth, could the raw video files be reworked later on with new commentary (at least for the finals)?
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

Return to “World Championships - September 20-22 2019”