To Chris, Tamas, Kevin, DDM, and all others involved..

Bochum, Germany
ketwol
GEMP Username: ketwol

Re: To Chris, Tamas, Kevin, DDM, and all others involved..

Post by ketwol »

Hayes wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 1:41 am
I always experience some degree of warm and fuzzy nostalgia whenever we hold any of our gatherings, but this was different. This event, very simply, was the best.

The generosity and hospitality extended to everyone - not just the Americans - was unprecedented. In all my years at this, I have never felt such a strong and true sense of camaraderie as I did this past week, especially during those final days practically living at Zu Den Vier Winden. This year's tournament will serve as the crown jewel in my lifetime of SWCCG memories. This would not have been possible without you, Chris Menzel & Tamas Papp... I sincerely appreciate the many talks we had throughout.

The Welsh Beer Wars game is pure genius; it provides a fun way for everyone to put names to faces. For those not in attendance, each participant (except for Gogolen) had a custom card thoughtfully crafted to represent them. viewtopic.php?f=1125&t=73541 You also have to understand there were literally hundreds of these packs distributed. A truly herculean effort put forth by Kevin Jaap and Team Wales. I am in awe of you and will be forever grateful to have these cards to remind me of this tremendous occasion.

Bibi, Damian, Der and the other staff at Zu Den Vier Winden bent over backwards to accommodate us. By the end of it I practically felt like a local. I am 100% certain I will return!

I'm not sure who else is responsible for what. Like, who assembled all the goody bags? I know DDM had a hand in things, providing copies of his game and the homemade limoncello. So very kind!

To everyone in attendance and especially those who were responsible for organizing all the many, many facets of the event: THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING THIS COMMUNITY THE BEST!
x 1000 couldn't sum it up any better

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

Calaglin wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 1:24 pm
Floris, there is no drinking involved in the game, so be sure to check it out. I hope we can keep it alive by playing some games with it the next couple of events. Heck, I'll play this over a team tournament!
That would be cool. I'll bring 'em. I noticed my normal card has deckbuilding skill 1 but my foil card has deckbuilding skill 2. Are all the foil cards better? Gotta have 'em all!
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

Kessling

Post by Kessling »

I tried to thank everyone in person but want to do so again - this tournament was incredible. The hospitality and generosity shown to us was over the top. Thank you to all that poured their blood, sweat, and tears into pulling this off.
Mike Kessling - Atlanta, Ga

Remaker

Post by Remaker »

quesosauce37 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 7:07 pm
this is why its especially annoying that remaker uses a bfred avatar....
it has been retired, for now
darkjediknight11 wrote:remaker's probably right...

Commander Fox
GEMP Username: Fox

Post by Commander Fox »

I completely agree with all the compliments, well thought out and worded gratitudes and kind words directed at the amazing Chris, Tamas, Kevin, DDM and everybody else who was involved (including the amazing commentary provided for the stream). Thank you guys and the complete community for the amazing tournament!
------

Stephan

First ever Dutchie in the World Championships top-8 (2019)

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Hayes wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 1:41 am
I always experience some degree of warm and fuzzy nostalgia whenever we hold any of our gatherings, but this was different. This event, very simply, was the best.

The generosity and hospitality extended to everyone - not just the Americans - was unprecedented. In all my years at this, I have never felt such a strong and true sense of camaraderie as I did this past week, especially during those final days practically living at Zu Den Vier Winden. This year's tournament will serve as the crown jewel in my lifetime of SWCCG memories. This would not have been possible without you, Chris Menzel & Tamas Papp... I sincerely appreciate the many talks we had throughout.

The Welsh Beer Wars game is pure genius; it provides a fun way for everyone to put names to faces. For those not in attendance, each participant (except for Gogolen) had a custom card thoughtfully crafted to represent them. viewtopic.php?f=1125&t=73541 You also have to understand there were literally hundreds of these packs distributed. A truly herculean effort put forth by Kevin Jaap and Team Wales. I am in awe of you and will be forever grateful to have these cards to remind me of this tremendous occasion.

Bibi, Damian, Der Stich and the other staff at Zu Den Vier Winden bent over backwards to accommodate us. By the end of it I practically felt like a local. I am 100% certain I will return!

I'm not sure who else is responsible for what. Like, who assembled all the goody bags? I know DDM had a hand in things, providing copies of his game and the homemade limoncello. So very kind!

To everyone in attendance and especially those who were responsible for organizing all the many, many facets of the event: THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING THIS COMMUNITY THE BEST!
I came in to this thread to express my gratitude to everyone, but I'm not a good writer, and Hayes said everything better than I ever could. I adopt this entire post.

And of all the swag I picked up this weekend (and it was all incredible), I think my favorite is my AI Bibi foil that she was nice enough to sign ("on Friday you had 2 liters, wait... that can't be right. 2 liters? you?)
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

the last few days I've been reading this thread, and it never failed to warm my heart, and make me smile. Thank you!

I completely ignored all (well, the only) negative threads, and I'm really happy that everyone who attended Worlds this year had a great time. I enjoyed it as much as you do, i tried to have a little or longer chat with everyone attending. If we didn't, I'm sorry.

I know that thanksgiving is not around for some weeks, but here is my "thank list":
- Chris for the amazing ride this last 10+ years, I learnt a lot from you, and I'm glad that you finally can join the playing table again, and enjoy the game. 8>
- Kevin for... you make Decipher look like a bunch of amateurs trying to enter the CCG industry. Watching top SW players play Beer Wars like it's top8 at Worlds shows how good you are.

- The Rest of Team Wales - you are the best team I know - for teaching me Mr President - though I still think Marc is cheating. And I'm always looking forward to our Sunday evening drinks. This year it was super crowded, a tradition that grows.
- Zu den Vier Winder for hosting us no matter how many players we bring - Bibi, Damien, Der Stich and their red shirt helpers (i hope they'll be promoted to this community soon) are awesome.
- DDM for the prize support and all the help with the video.
- the Dutch Team, don't take things personally around the video issue. You've done a great job, we'll get better with it. :)
- the slowly growing Hungarian Team (Patrik and Bill), we almost made it 3 players, I'll aim for 4 next year (without me).
- all the players who brought something for our American friends.
- The returning Northerners: Rikard, Julien (The Fake Viking), Basse and Gunnar. I was really happy to see Norwegians for the first time in Bochum, and to meet Gunnar and Basse again.
- Cedrik for helping me to get a 2nd set of shields - i've actually lent them to the Pirate, so it was already in use.
- Every US player who decided to join this event. I know that it's quite an investment from you all.
- That Bastian, a European player won the title. Next time I'll be rooting for a US player, i think it's time for you to take one from here. ;)
- Bryan Mischke for being the coolest 2nd place player. Also, i told ya, those URs you brought me can take you far :D Also, Alert My Blasters MAP rocks, great to have both options in your deck :rimshot
- Every US player for showing up. I know it was already on the list, but I'm really glad that finally I could meet the players i "know" since decktech.
- Chris Gogolen to surprise us. But next time, please, at least let Kevin know that you're coming.
- Mike The Dutch bringing me stroopwaffels.
- Dan and Jerry for bearing with us while commentating.
- Emil for hating Unicum, I suppose your swedish "friends" will drink it anyway, cause it's alcohol :D

Last, but definitely not least:
All the European players who show up year after year to make this community great. It doesn't matter if you're losing or winning, you keep showing up, you are the heroes. You made it possible for Chris to bring Worlds back to Europe again. And you're the reason that everyone left with a smile again. Thank you! :<3: :thumbs:
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

Shadow 14
Retired Advocate

Post by Shadow 14 »

Yoda007 wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 4:06 pm
the last few days I've been reading this thread, and it never failed to warm my heart, and make me smile. Thank you!

I completely ignored all (well, the only) negative threads, and I'm really happy that everyone who attended Worlds this year had a great time. I enjoyed it as much as you do, i tried to have a little or longer chat with everyone attending. If we didn't, I'm sorry.

I know that thanksgiving is not around for some weeks, but here is my "thank list":
- Chris for the amazing ride this last 10+ years, I learnt a lot from you, and I'm glad that you finally can join the playing table again, and enjoy the game. 8>
- Kevin for... you make Decipher look like a bunch of amateurs trying to enter the CCG industry. Watching top SW players play Beer Wars like it's top8 at Worlds shows how good you are.

- The Rest of Team Wales - you are the best team I know - for teaching me Mr President - though I still think Marc is cheating. And I'm always looking forward to our Sunday evening drinks. This year it was super crowded, a tradition that grows.
- Zu den Vier Winder for hosting us no matter how many players we bring - Bibi, Damien, Der Stich and their red shirt helpers (i hope they'll be promoted to this community soon) are awesome.
- DDM for the prize support and all the help with the video.
- the Dutch Team, don't take things personally around the video issue. You've done a great job, we'll get better with it. :)
- the slowly growing Hungarian Team (Patrik and Bill), we almost made it 3 players, I'll aim for 4 next year (without me).
- all the players who brought something for our American friends.
- The returning Northerners: Rikard, Julien (The Fake Viking), Basse and Gunnar. I was really happy to see Norwegians for the first time in Bochum, and to meet Gunnar and Basse again.
- Cedrik for helping me to get a 2nd set of shields - i've actually lent them to the Pirate, so it was already in use.
- Every US player who decided to join this event. I know that it's quite an investment from you all.
- That Bastian, a European player won the title. Next time I'll be rooting for a US player, i think it's time for you to take one from here. ;)
- Bryan Mischke for being the coolest 2nd place player. Also, i told ya, those URs you brought me can take you far :D Also, Alert My Blasters MAP rocks, great to have both options in your deck :rimshot
- Every US player for showing up. I know it was already on the list, but I'm really glad that finally I could meet the players i "know" since decktech.
- Chris Gogolen to surprise us. But next time, please, at least let Kevin know that you're coming.
- Mike The Dutch bringing me stroopwaffels.
- Dan and Jerry for bearing with us while commentating.
- Emil for hating Unicum, I suppose your swedish "friends" will drink it anyway, cause it's alcohol :D

Last, but definitely not least:
All the European players who show up year after year to make this community great. It doesn't matter if you're losing or winning, you keep showing up, you are the heroes. You made it possible for Chris to bring Worlds back to Europe again. And you're the reason that everyone left with a smile again. Thank you! :<3: :thumbs:
This time I can say "I couldn't have said it better!"

Thanks a lot for everything and for making this an awesome and unforgettable part of my life!!
Chris (Euro Emperor) Menzel
Hannover - Germany

Image Image

Return to “World Championships - September 20-22 2019”