MA League Event #1 (December 2018)

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

MA League Event #1 (December 2018)

Post by Hutch »

What: 4 Game, Swiss Constructed Deck tournament. Differential scoring (SoS scoring if we have >10 players).
When: Wednesday, December 19th, start time 6:30 pm.
Where: Gaming Etc., 531 Main St H, Acton, MA 01720
Entry fee: $5 [goes towards store credit for the winner(s)]

I have the PC foils on hand from the Local Tournament Month event for anyone who attended that. I can/will bring extra decks with me if anyone has a friend who would like to play and doesn't have cards. If you need to borrow cards/decks, post here in this forum and we'll see what we can source. Also, please post if you plan on attending so we know who all we are waiting on that day.
Last edited by Hutch on January 4th, 2019, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

JeffSkilz
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Re: MA League Event #1

Post by JeffSkilz »

I'm in

JeffSkilz
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by JeffSkilz »

Looks like travis is in as well... its possible I can convince another person once we have a better idea on head count.

Any word from David, Sam, etc?

Hutch

Post by Hutch »

Not yet. I'll text the guy from the demo and see if he'd like to come. I also met another potential new player at this store so I'll invite him too.
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals

dredged14
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by dredged14 »

Sorry, I missed this thread. I don't think I'm going to be able to make 12/19, but keep me in the loop. Thanks

mfucilli

Post by mfucilli »

Hey, I'm new here! Just moved to the Hadley, MA area and have been getting back into playing SWCCG. Have played a bit online (GEMP) but would love to play in person. Can someone explain what a Swiss Constructed Tournament consists of? Are players using a lot of virtual cards or would I be able to get by with a Classic (non-virtual) deck?

JeffSkilz
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by JeffSkilz »

mfucilli wrote:Hey, I'm new here! Just moved to the Hadley, MA area and have been getting back into playing SWCCG. Have played a bit online (GEMP) but would love to play in person. Can someone explain what a Swiss Constructed Tournament consists of? Are players using a lot of virtual cards or would I be able to get by with a Classic (non-virtual) deck?
It's the full universe of cards including virtuals... some decks have a few, other have a lot. But you won't be alone. As we're all in varying stages of returning to the game. Honestly, this is a low-key, laid back group with a lot of patience. I suggestion you attend and play with the best that you have or borrow decks for the night. If you cna't get yourself comfortable with that... I would suggest attending, observing, and preparing for the next event.

But, I am not the tourny director so i defer to Grady for official response :)

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Apollyon
GEMP Username: Apollyon

Post by Apollyon »

mfucilli wrote:Hey, I'm new here! Just moved to the Hadley, MA area and have been getting back into playing SWCCG. Have played a bit online (GEMP) but would love to play in person. Can someone explain what a Swiss Constructed Tournament consists of? Are players using a lot of virtual cards or would I be able to get by with a Classic (non-virtual) deck?
Swiss is the format. You play a fixed number of rounds and the winner is the person who wins the most matches. Constructed means that you bring a deck that you've constructed ahead of time (as opposed to Limited, where you open packs).

In general, the decks are about 50% virtual cards (it varies based on archetype - several of them are almost all virtual). Several of the non-virtual decks are competitive-ish (DS Senate and TTO being the best contenders). You may be able to borrow a deck from someone.

JeffSkilz
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by JeffSkilz »

Apollyon wrote:You may be able to borrow a deck from someone.
Last time I think Grady brought 7 decks for each side. Show up and you'll have something to play. Will you be efficient with it... no. But I bet you'll still have fun.

mfucilli

Post by mfucilli »

Thanks for the info. It's going to be a close call on tonight, might not be able to make it. Is this a monthly meetup?

Hutch

Post by Hutch »

Hey this is Grady. Sorry I missed this chat until now. I’m trying to schedule monthly events. So if you can’t make this one, keep an eye on this forum for the next!

Return to “MA League”