LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Official Online MPC Rules

Post by gogolen »

RULES
1) Each player will have a 50-min timer, just the OCS rounds

2) Timer extensions are not permitted

3) You are not allowed to change decks or cards between games. Decklists must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST on Friday April 17th. Decklists received after that will be docked 2 differential points every 30 minutes they are late (for each match of the first 4 rounds). Anyone who has not submitted their decklists by 8am on Saturday is disqualified from the event.

4) If your timer runs out- your opponent wins by the total number of cards they have remaining in hand + life force.

5) Concession in the first game of the match will result in a -20 differential or your opponent’s actual differential, whichever is higher. A Concession in Game 2 is a match win for your opponent.

6) If a new bug is found, unless it is game breaking, play it as it lies. If it would destroy the outcome of the game, please reach out to an Admin. The game may need to be replayed depending on the circumstances. Using a known bug or exploit to your advantage is considered cheating, and can be grounds for disqualification from the tournament.

7) Starting The game : Players in Round 1 and Round 2 will be broken into smaller groups, and given a 3 minute window start time. Please be in the GEMP lobby on time, and when it is within your starting window, confirm that your opponent is in the lobby. Then check the Waiting Tables section and make sure there are no other MPC tables up and then announce in the chat to your opponent that you are putting up a (side) table. Your opponent will then accept the game. This should just take a few moments to get each game started.

For example- Round 1 Heat 1 starts at 9am EST, with 16 games. When you are assigned to a Heat, you will be given a window of 9:00-9:03, 9:04-9:07, 9:08-9:11, etc.. Please coordinate and start your game within your assigned window. This will help make the process smooth, limit the stress on GEMP, and reduce the number of mispaired matches.

8) No-shows: If your opponent does not show up within 5 minutes from the beginning of your designated start window, they receive a 0 (-20) for game 1. At the 15 minute mark, they forfeit the entire match. If they do show up between 5-15 minutes late , the player that was on time will choose the side to play for the remaining game.

a. So if your start window was 9:00-9:03, at 9:05 you are now late and have lost game 1 by 20. Your opponent will decide which deck they want to use for game 2 (even if you are the higher seed)

9) Reverts: These are only allowed at the discretion of your opponent. Please make sure to take your time and click responsibly when taking actions. You may also wish to turn off the Auto-pass feature in the Settings tab for the duration of this tournament.

10) Scouting: The GEMP development team will be blocking all observers (except Admins) from watching games. This will prevent any scouting, and therefore we will not be posting decklists during the tournament. The Twitch streamers will be given temporary Admin controls so that they can provide live streaming.

11) Results: We will have a separate thread on the PC forums for reporting game scores. Please post your results of game 1- Sides played, Life force & lost pile counts after the game has finished. After game 2 has finished, please post which player is advancing to the next round

a. For example- Game 1- Steve vs Eric- Steve LS +17, LP 19 vs 37.
b. Game 2- Steve vs Eric- Steve advances

12) Other rules that needed to be spelled out more clearly:
a. You must play your own games, and are not allowed to log in for anyone else and play their match. You may also not contact other people for assistance during your games. This is not a team event.
b. You are not allowed to take screen shots of your opponents decks during the games. Please also refrain from sharing replay links until after the conclusion of Sunday's games (or until both players have been eliminated from the event)
c. You may not use the Twitch live stream while you are actively playing a game in the tournament. We want to keep this as close to the IRL event as possible, and you would not be able to do both in that situation.

13. Decklists for Weekend 1 to be submitted by Friday April 17th @ 11:59pm EST via email- decklists@starwarsccg.org
Last edited by gogolen on April 13th, 2020, 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

gogolen

Re: Official Online MPC Rules

Post by gogolen »

this should address many of the questions about the event. If I missed anything, please ask below and I can update the OP as necessary.

PC Store Manager
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Blarg
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Blarg »

gogolen wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:47 pm
10) Scouting: We do not have a simple technological way to prevent this, so therefore we are announcing that it is allowed for the event. All tables will be open to observers, but please refrain from Screenshotting or recording game play. (honor system)
To make things fair, how about posting decklists after the first round? Otherwise people finishing early, or who have a team scouting for them, etc., will know like 55 cards from the other person's deck, and other people will know nothing at all.

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Blarg wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 9:33 pm
gogolen wrote:
10) Scouting: We do not have a simple technological way to prevent this, so therefore we are announcing that it is allowed for the event. All tables will be open to observers, but please refrain from Screenshotting or recording game play. (honor system)
To make things fair, how about posting decklists after the first round? Otherwise people finishing early, or who have a team scouting for them, etc., will know like 55 cards from the other person's deck, and other people will know nothing at all.
We will certainly try to get the decklists posted as quickly as possible.

PC Store Manager

Blarg
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Blarg »

gogolen wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 9:52 pm
To clarify, during the event?

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

Blarg wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 10:01 pm
gogolen wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 9:52 pm
To clarify, during the event?
I agree, if scouting is open, decklists should be public during the event.
Justin Miyashiro

retwin316
LS Region: Corellia
LS Region: Corellia

Post by retwin316 »

Seconded ^

Not that I don't already likely have the largest team/net working ability, but I'm not going to bother watching other games during this event, so whatever makes it the most fair. Obviously this is going to have a lot of room for shenanigans and we can only hope that everyone plays straight up, but there are going to be many loopholes and ways to gain advantages, and I guarantee that some of these will be taken, if not all of them. This is NOT the mpc, as much as we would all like it to be, but given the surrounding circumstances of why there is no mpc, this is definitely an interesting alternative, and a much needed break from the reality of life right now.

Good luck everyone!

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

gogolen wrote:
8) No-shows: If your opponent does not show up within 5 minutes from the beginning of your designated start window, they receive a 0 (-20) for game 1. At the 15 minute mark, they forfeit the entire match. If they do show up between 5-15 minutes late , the player that was on time will choose the side to play for the remaining game.

a. So if your start window was 9:00-9:03, at 9:05 you are now late and have lost game 1 by 20. Your opponent will decide which deck they want to use for game 2 (even if you are the higher seed)
Thanks for posting these Rules, Gogolen.
Only thing that stood out to me was the lateness rules seem a bit harsh (8. and 8a.).
I understand we don't want people joining the wrong game and this isn't the craziest ask of players, but hopefully with proper communications within the GEMP chat, even if someone is 2 minutes late, there will be no harm/no foul between the 2 players involved in such a case.
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/swccg
New to Gemp? Check out the Operational Guide & FAQ's here: viewtopic.php?f=964&t=75666
Spoiler
Show
2020 OCS: 51-21 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55
GEMPC 4: Runner-up ll GEMPC 3: Final 8
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
Image Image

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

We will certainly try to get the decklists up by the start of Round 2, but they may not be available until later that night/sunday morning.

With 64 people in the tournament we will have to recruit some additional help outside of our normal deck posters.

PC Store Manager

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
gogolen wrote:

Only thing that stood out to me was the lateness rules seem a bit harsh (8. and 8a.).
I understand we don't want people joining the wrong game and this isn't the craziest ask of players, but hopefully with proper communications within the GEMP chat, even if someone is 2 minutes late, there will be no harm/no foul between the 2 players involved in such a case.
+1. Someone's internet cuts out at exactly the wrong time, a five minute emergency at home, whatever, and they're basically out of the event.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 10:08 am
Jnapolit31 wrote:
gogolen wrote:

+1. Someone's internet cuts out at exactly the wrong time, a five minute emergency at home, whatever, and they're basically out of the event.
I'd say that if your start window is from 9:00 to 9:03 then at 9:08 you're late. But 5 minutes isn't much to ask for. Yes internet could cut out, or an emergency could pop up. It could also be someone is inconsiderate, lazy and is being rude to their opponent in making them wait. Hell, if it was me, I'd count showing up as just posting in GEMP that you're having issues before the start time or during that window.
gogolen wrote:
7) Starting The game : Players in Round 1 and Round 2 will be broken into smaller groups, and given a 3 minute window start time. Please be in the GEMP lobby on time, and when it is within your starting window, confirm that your opponent is in the lobby. Then check the Waiting Tables section and make sure there are no other MPC tables up and then announce in the chat to your opponent that you are putting up a (side) table. Your opponent will then accept the game. This should just take a few moments to get each game started.
Since we'll know who our opponents are, can we start earlier than the start windows? Like lets say round 1 starts at 9:00am. Can people start at 8:30am if they are available to? I didn't see a round time limit on these just player timers, so I didn't think that starting earlier would be an issue, other than streaming.

Batmouse
LS Region: Alderaan
LS Region: Alderaan

Post by Batmouse »

arebelspy wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 10:08 am
Jnapolit31 wrote:
gogolen wrote:

Since Gemp is browser based besides playing from a computer if you had a smart phone handy while not perfectly convenient it is still an option to be able to play your game.
Proud owner of the alderaan regional trophy of 2009!
Proud WINNER of the Alderaan regional trophy 2017!
The Sheriff of Gemp
quesosauce37 wrote: all hail batmouse the vigilante!
imrahil327 wrote:Awww, it's Batmouse's and my first agreement on a sports topic. Image

timeofyouppi
GEMP Username: timeyouppi

Post by timeofyouppi »

Perhaps the "action timer" could be turned off as a default, so they won't autoforfeit after 5 minutes. If they need to take a 10 minute break or just want to think then they should be able to do that with their 50 total minutes.
Ban Monnok and Grimtaash

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

rhendon wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 10:18 am
I'd say that if your start window is from 9:00 to 9:03 then at 9:08 you're late. But 5 minutes isn't much to ask for.
Also support this proposal.
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Unwritten rule: scouting, while unenforceable, is punishable by Karma since it's objectively a garbage tactic and everyone deep down knows it, and outside of the "win at all costs" aspect, it's not in the spirit of this thing. Just say no and stop kidding yourself.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

shawnd1984 wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 12:16 pm
Unwritten rule: scouting, while unenforceable, is punishable by Karma since it's objectively a garbage tactic and everyone deep down knows it, and outside of the "win at all costs" aspect, it's not in the spirit of this thing. Just say no and stop kidding yourself.
"BUT IT'S NOT LISTED EXPLICITLY IN THE RULEEEZZZ" is for the same people who thought the plot of Air Bud Golden Receiver was rock solid and curious why the NFL never implemented ('there's no rule that says a golden retriever can't play in the NFL). Don't use Air Bud Logic (trademark pending) people.
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

timeofyouppi wrote:Perhaps the "action timer" could be turned off as a default, so they won't autoforfeit after 5 minutes. If they need to take a 10 minute break or just want to think then they should be able to do that with their 50 total minutes.
Agreed.

It's only eating into their own time.

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

I really hate the idea of decklists being posted during the event. Maybe just make available decktypes?

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Wokling wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 1:59 pm
I really hate the idea of decklists being posted during the event. Maybe just make available decktypes?
But then it benefits teams. Lets take your team for example.

Disclaimer: Not saying anyone below would do that. Just using them as examples.

You have a pretty big team of:
You
Hayes
Joe
Cal
Kyle
MHT

If one of you gets knocked out (or Kyle misses his flight), that person can then go and observe games from your next round opponents and write down their decks and key cards of things like weapon lev, etc. Then they can pass that info to you through instant messaging. Or you could have someone not registered do the same thing.

KTOD could have Gemme or Chu do this and provide valuable info to Baroni and Desai for their next round games.

Disclaimer: Not saying anyone above would do that. Just using them as examples.

So basically those players that can afford to have people spectate for them could literally record future opponents decks at a very easy pace with how GEMP works. This would mean that those with teams would have a bigger advantage than just playtesting. They would gain a massive scouting advantage as well. So it would mean people like me should just drop out now and ask for a refund because even if I came up with a good deck, and played the best I could ever hope to play; I'd likely lose to the scouting advantage.

This is literally what would happen at MTG pro tours. For years, teams would bring out people to literally scout their future opponents decks as spectators. So what would happen is when the top 8 was getting ready to be announced, the big teams would know the other top 8s decks almost inside/out. MTG decided to balance that by giving out entire lists rather than let only those teams get those advantages. It puts everyone on equal footing.

In my opinion, its either completely block out spectators from the games (which still helps teams because they can share info on so many platforms about their opponent if they get knocked out) or share decklists which puts everyone on equal playing field. Sharing lists also eliminates a possible cheating maneuver of changing a card or 2 in between rounds. You can verify your opponents deck while playing.

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

Magic and SW are very different games and the stakes are dramatically different. In Magic, in a lot of formats, decks rarely play 1 ofs. In SW, many decks are close to being highlander and there can be a huge difference between 1x, 2x, and 3x. Sometimes a player forgoes a card that typically is played in a deck but relies on their opponent playing around the card. Knowing exactly what's in your opponents deck will fundamentally change deck composition and game play. That is bad and should be avoided.

There is less incentive to have dedicated scouters that you describe. For Magic, tens of thousands of dollars are at stake. For SW, we have trophies. And logistically, scouting is harder for participants who are busy playing their games. Sure, I can tell a teammate what I saw when I played a guy, but that may not be relevant until the semis, anyway. I dunno, publishing decklists seems like a severe overreaction.

Return to “2020 Match Play Championship - Online (GEMP)”