2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Silverglen
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
Posts: 624
Joined: January 11th, 2017, 5:04 am
Location: Cirencester
GEMP Username: silverglen

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Silverglen »

I like the ideas of shorter seasons and I definitely like the shorter clocks. Based on EBT’s data as we all get better with gemp game times are lowering. I would love to see 40 mins.


Welsh National Winner 2019, 5th Euro 2018, OCS Finalist
Shadow 13 wrote:seeing Silverglen's underdog run has been pretty inspiring

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 11459
Joined: May 2nd, 2005, 3:52 pm
Location: Somerdale, nj
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by gogolen »

Good feedback so far. Based on EBTs timer list I think 45 minute clocks might be a good start. If we split this into 2 seasons, we can re-evaluate the timer details between seasons.
Image

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Posts: 11459
Joined: May 2nd, 2005, 3:52 pm
Location: Somerdale, nj
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by gogolen »

Any other comments? We had nearly 100 players involved in the OCS this year, so it would be great to hear from more.
Image

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11466
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by rhendon »

I signed up but don't think I played a game.

I like the shorter season but we still should be aiming to hit 16 qualifying players to make the numbers nice (in my opinion). Plus I think top 16 gives some people a chance to make a run here or there. It feels like we have 4-5 players that will always be near the top so opening it up to more is nice.

I like the split idea with a spring/fall split. Could even do a summer event to let people qualify in between the seasons. Like rank people based on the spring OCS data and do something there. Smite does something similar with their pro leagues. They have a spring/fall split. Spring they all play and then are ranked going into the big event that awards a small prize with winner getting a qualification for worlds. So we could do small prize with winner getting a qualification for OCS.

Def shorter round timers.

Give me the ability to dodge some of the better players :lol: My worlds competition was insane and it wasn't cuz I kept winning...
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

Wokling
Member
Posts: 502
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 11:26 am
GEMP Username: ototoi

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Wokling »

gogolen wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Good feedback so far. Based on EBTs timer list I think 45 minute clocks might be a good start. If we split this into 2 seasons, we can re-evaluate the timer details between seasons.
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:17 pm
ping?
A couple of thoughts on the data and time limit:

One, the data shows combined game length. So, there could be a game where a player takes 45 minutes and another where a player takes 35 in order for the game to make the 80 minute threshold. Shouldn't we be more concerned with how much time a single player takes? Not the combined game? Is there a better way to slice this data?

Two, the data we have did not come from a vacuum. It came from a series of games where players know that they have 50 minutes on their clock and take advantage of that time. I know that certainly take more time to make decisions knowing that I have so much time available to me.

Three, why not encourage players to play a game closer in length to an actual game (30 minutes)? In 2019, many players opted not play ROPs at Worlds out of concern that they would lose on time. If they or their opponent's play was not fast enough, they'd lose. We had two metas then, an online meta where ROPs had enough time and an IRL where ROPs did not. We should try to bridge that gap. Let's do 40 minutes.

Wokling
Member
Posts: 502
Joined: February 8th, 2019, 11:26 am
GEMP Username: ototoi

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Wokling »

Worlds had 45 minute timers, correct? What is our data for those games?

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11466
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by rhendon »

Wokling wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 3:21 pm
Worlds had 45 minute timers, correct? What is our data for those games?
Think it was bumped to 50. I recall telling them I did 50 because Joe pointed out that 50 was default for OCS when I wanted to do 45 for TMW. Didn't want to confuse anyone.

But I know with the lag and everything, I didn't come close to timing out at 50 or 45. I'm generally a fast player though so I can just show what is possible but not feasible for others.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

User avatar
Jnapolit31
Member
Posts: 1138
Joined: January 10th, 2017, 10:40 pm
Location: Blue Bell, PA
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Jnapolit31 »

rhendon wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Wokling wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 3:21 pm
Worlds had 45 minute timers, correct? What is our data for those games?
Think it was bumped to 50. I recall telling them I did 50 because Joe pointed out that 50 was default for OCS when I wanted to do 45 for TMW. Didn't want to confuse anyone.

But I know with the lag and everything, I didn't come close to timing out at 50 or 45. I'm generally a fast player though so I can just show what is possible but not feasible for others.
Worlds were 100% 50:00 a side.
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

User avatar
Advocate
Advocate
Posts: 36911
Joined: October 29th, 2002, 5:18 pm
Location: Yardley, PA
GEMP Username: advocate

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Advocate »

I would like one (maybe two months) with a different format. I know the playoffs are open and should be, but trying it for just month would be interesting and maybe get more involved (which is always my goal).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Image
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

User avatar
Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 5598
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 7:48 pm
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

Wokling wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 3:16 pm
gogolen wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Good feedback so far. Based on EBTs timer list I think 45 minute clocks might be a good start. If we split this into 2 seasons, we can re-evaluate the timer details between seasons.
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 10:17 pm
ping?
A couple of thoughts on the data and time limit:

One, the data shows combined game length. So, there could be a game where a player takes 45 minutes and another where a player takes 35 in order for the game to make the 80 minute threshold. Shouldn't we be more concerned with how much time a single player takes? Not the combined game? Is there a better way to slice this data?

Two, the data we have did not come from a vacuum. It came from a series of games where players know that they have 50 minutes on their clock and take advantage of that time. I know that certainly take more time to make decisions knowing that I have so much time available to me.

Three, why not encourage players to play a game closer in length to an actual game (30 minutes)? In 2019, many players opted not play ROPs at Worlds out of concern that they would lose on time. If they or their opponent's play was not fast enough, they'd lose. We had two metas then, an online meta where ROPs had enough time and an IRL where ROPs did not. We should try to bridge that gap. Let's do 40 minutes.
There isn't data on how much time was left for each player. That would be much better to have than the combined time, but this is all we have.
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 17395
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by arebelspy »

How many time outs were there at worlds? 45m seems totally reasonable and maybe 40.

User avatar
Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 5598
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 7:48 pm
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

arebelspy wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:06 pm
How many time outs were there at worlds? 45m seems totally reasonable and maybe 40.
16
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

User avatar
Advocate
Advocate
Posts: 36911
Joined: October 29th, 2002, 5:18 pm
Location: Yardley, PA
GEMP Username: advocate

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Advocate »

Could it have been related to the lag from commentary?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Image
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11466
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by rhendon »

How many were Paul?
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 17395
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by arebelspy »

Echo Base Trooper wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:06 pm
How many time outs were there at worlds? 45m seems totally reasonable and maybe 40.
16
Out of?

User avatar
Advocate
Advocate
Posts: 36911
Joined: October 29th, 2002, 5:18 pm
Location: Yardley, PA
GEMP Username: advocate

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Advocate »

arebelspy wrote:
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:06 pm
How many time outs were there at worlds? 45m seems totally reasonable and maybe 40.
16
Out of?
16?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Image
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 17395
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by arebelspy »

Advocate wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:11 pm
arebelspy wrote:
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:06 pm
How many time outs were there at worlds? 45m seems totally reasonable and maybe 40.
16
Out of?
16?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure there were more than 16 games played during worlds. I played 16 myself :-D

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11466
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Advocate wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:11 pm
arebelspy wrote:
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:06 pm
How many time outs were there at worlds? 45m seems totally reasonable and maybe 40.
16
Out of?
16?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure there were more than 16 games played during worlds. I played 16 myself :-D
196 day 1 is max without drops but that happened. Day 2 had a max of 128 games but also had drops. Then 14 for top 8, without match concessions.

So a very low percentage went to time.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

User avatar
Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 5598
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 7:48 pm
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

arebelspy wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
December 18th, 2020, 4:06 pm
How many time outs were there at worlds? 45m seems totally reasonable and maybe 40.
16
Out of?
335
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

PaulMyers
Starter
Starter
Posts: 31
Joined: December 13th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Re: 2020 OCS FEEDBACK

Post by PaulMyers »

It’s no surprise I’d prefer maintaining a 50:00 clock, but it seems like I’d be a small minority in that respect.

I’m fine with 10 or 12 games. I really like what @Mike Kessling said in regards to actually having the event be longer throughout the year. What I really dislike is the long lulls between major (especialll online) events. For instance, I’m impatient and hate having to wait from the end of worlds for six weeks to start February ocs. If real life events resume after COVID dissipates, then the ocs is all some “online” players, such as myself, can compete in.

Because I only play online, and haven’t played an in real life tournament in 15 years, these lulls are tough to stomach. So I’d love if we started in January (one month earlier) and kept ocs games going as long as possible year round... if we need to drop to 10 games a month to be able to add 2 months to the schedule, so be it!

It sounds like the majority prefer open games, which I agree with. Who of us doesn’t love observing a highly competitive ocs game when we log on?

One last thing: the private game feature was removed throughout the entirety of the ocs playoffs. This was brutal for me personally. Then, it was added back in after the finals about 3 weeks before worlds. I’d strongly recommend keeping this private game function available on Gemp year round. This may already be the case, and this thread may be the wrong place to post this opinion. Regardless, this function should be especially available during the playoff run.

Post Reply

Return to “2020 Online Championship Series”