Statement Regarding The European Championship

September 11-13
Yoda007

Statement Regarding The European Championship

Post by Yoda007 »

Dear European Community (and the fellows from the United Kingdom and the United States),

as you might be all aware of the situation, in the last couple of months we've been exposed to... well, things. It would take too long to make a list about what happened lately, but I'll focus on the pandemic that is around us right now.

In the last few weeks I was trying to get as much information on regulations as possible, but the only certainty was uncertainty. Meaning, noone can tell what will happen in two weeks time, let alone in 2 months. We contacted the Zu Den Vier Winden - our usual spot for Euros -, they had no idea as well.

You might have a lot of questions, I'll try to answer some of them.

How will COVID-19 affect our Euros?
Well, it already did. While the Euro Weekend is the crown jewel of our calendars, we have a series of events throughout the year leading to Bochum. This year we had to cancel all, but one. Which is unprecedented in our "short" history of gaming.

What factors did I consider when coming up with a decision?
First of all, safety. Our events try to be a safe place socially, and now physically (I know we should have gone with this way sooner, but then you all would have missed the hugs of Rasmus :lol: ). I know there are a lot of opinions out there regarding severity of the pandemic, I'm not here to debate that. I chose the one that makes everyone feel safe, and not left outside. We don't want a Euros where we miss all of our buddies who chose to stay at home for the safety of their loved ones or their own.

Does this mean we are cancelling Euro2020?
Yes, we are.
:(

No Welsh goodies this year then?
I'm quite sure Kevin had to kill some time during the lockdown. Whatever that means. (it probably means foils)
Also, anyone who entered the OCS still can get some nice cards. So, go over there and register.

Are we going to have an online event?
Our Euros - and the title associated with it - is not going online. Simply, because there are too many factors we cannot control - and I don't want to. The MPC this year showed that we are capable of running large events online, however, it showed the darker side of it as well.
However, since it seems like a popular demand, we're going to schedule an event for the European community in the next few weeks.

Thank you, Silverglen, for starting the topic around Euros. It was good to read feedback before coming up with a decision like this.

Stay safe, and may the Force be with you!

Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

Silverglen
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: silverglen

Re: Statement Regarding The European Championship

Post by Silverglen »

Thank you Tamas.
Welsh National Winner 2019, 5th Euro 2018, OCS Finalist
Shadow 13 wrote:seeing Silverglen's underdog run has been pretty inspiring

Darth Eweuge
DS Region: Naboo

Post by Darth Eweuge »

Well said Tamas, this decision has not been an easy one to make.

While we understand this is a blow to our Community to lose its main event, everyones safely is paramount.

Next year will be bigger and better if not for playing SWCCG again IRL, I think more for the social side where we all get to meet up with good friends.

Also this means extra Welsh Goodies next year, I have not waisted lockdown ;)

Stay safe everyone
2012 - UK Regional Champion
2017 - Ralltiir Regional Champion
Kevin Jaap
TEAM WALES

Silverglen
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: silverglen

Post by Silverglen »

Was that pun deliberate Kev?

“Who ate all the pies” etc :-D
Welsh National Winner 2019, 5th Euro 2018, OCS Finalist
Shadow 13 wrote:seeing Silverglen's underdog run has been pretty inspiring

Darth Eweuge

Post by Darth Eweuge »

Silverglen wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Was that pun deliberate Kev?

“Who ate all the pies” etc :-D
certainly was sir ;)
2012 - UK Regional Champion
2017 - Ralltiir Regional Champion
Kevin Jaap
TEAM WALES

londonsean
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack
GEMP Username: londonsean

Post by londonsean »

Thanks for the update Tamas; disappointing but understandable for sure.

Thankfully my wife doesn’t know; so I can tell her it’s still going ahead, then tell her that I’ll postpone this year (something about love or somethingorother) and then BAM - guaranteed Euros 2021 trip.

I’ll apply for my UK passport update now - just to, you know, make sure I’ll be able to get a visa. :lol:
English National Runner-up - 2019
OCS 2019 (19-65)
Official First Round Loser - MPC 2020

I’m not saying I'm aiming to be the worst player in the history of SW:CCG. But someone has to be...right?

rax
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by rax »

londonsean wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 6:09 pm
Thanks for the update Tamas; disappointing but understandable for sure.

Thankfully my wife doesn’t know; so I can tell her it’s still going ahead, then tell her that I’ll postpone this year (something about love or somethingorother) and then BAM - guaranteed Euros 2021 trip.

I’ll apply for my UK passport update now - just to, you know, make sure I’ll be able to get a visa. :lol:
That's exactly how that one should be played..

Kristian "rax" Lund aka Smukke Kristian - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen Never Dies! They Just Go To The Bar And Respawn!"

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Darth Eweuge wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 3:46 pm
Well said Tamas, this decision has not been an easy one to make.

While we understand this is a blow to our Community to lose its main event, everyones safely is paramount.

Next year will be bigger and better if not for playing SWCCG again IRL, I think more for the social side where we all get to meet up with good friends.

Also this means extra Welsh Goodies next year, I have not waisted lockdown ;)

Stay safe everyone
x2, except for the waist part (did you gain weight, Kev?? :lol: ) Hugs & wash your hands from Seattle
Gosse Z. - Seattle

Return to “2020 European Championship - Bochum, Germany”