Virtual Reality

September 11-13
Yoda007

Virtual Reality

Post by Yoda007 »

The format is:

- one copy of each card
- no rares or premium cards are allowed, except for objectives and defensive shields (remember, while HD is legal, the starting cards are not)
- Special Edition fixed cards are allowed, such as intruder missiles & diamond sites
- Admiral Ackbar and Piett are considered rare, as they could be opened from boosters as rares.
- all V cards are allowed, no matter what the rarity of the underlying card is (eg. Gold Leader in Gold 1 is illegal, but virtual version is OK)
- the objective No Idea is blanked/banned
Last edited by Yoda007 on September 24th, 2020, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

Berm
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Re: Virtual Reality

Post by Berm »

This effectively rules out the following objectives:
Spoiler
Show
image.png
image.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 593 times
image.png
image.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 593 times
Endor Ops cannot play TTO or Ominous Rumors but is otherwise viable.
ISB cannot start Imperial Square - in order to use SSA (v), they would likely only be able to start Coruscant: 500 Republica, an interior 2/1 battleground with no negative drain bonus. Starting any of the Xizor Palace sites would result in 0 effects.

MYWYL cannot play Yoda's Hutt but otherwise fine
while MBO isn't technically banned, you can't play DS or trench.

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

Berm wrote:This effectively rules out the following objectives:
Spoiler
Show
image.png
Endor Ops cannot play TTO or Ominous Rumors but is otherwise viable.
ISB cannot start Imperial Square - in order to use SSA (v), they would likely only be able to start Coruscant: 500 Republica, an interior 2/1 battleground with no negative drain bonus. Starting any of the Xizor Palace sites would result in 0 effects.

MYWYL cannot play Yoda's Hutt but otherwise fine
while MBO isn't technically banned, you can't play DS or trench.
Scum and Villainy is also a rare.

The most telling thing is that No Idea loses nothing essential. Definitely feels like something needs to be done about that to make the format at all interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justin Miyashiro

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Post by Solidsnack3 »

Hyperdrive would have nearly a full compliment of characters, ships, and all three of its usual starters (jedi bisnazz, wokling, we're leaving). Might need Return of a Jedi to get your Obi Wan Out (unless you want to download general kenobi to the outskirts). Only 2 lightsabers with mace and jedi lightsaber v... although you could also put in jedi lightsaber non-v to totally confuse your opponent with three cards that look the exact same!

You even got padme v to do ping damage, but jar jar is banned in all forms (which sounds right to me!)
-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

Solidsnack3 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:09 pm
but jar jar is banned in all forms (which sounds right to me!)
damn! you're onto me :)
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Yoda007 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Solidsnack3 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:09 pm
but jar jar is banned in all forms (which sounds right to me!)
damn! you're onto me :)
Sounds like someone needs a video from Ahmad Best.

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

Hazardville wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 12:56 pm
The most telling thing is that No Idea loses nothing essential. Definitely feels like something needs to be done about that to make the format at all interesting.
Yes, this is my biggest concern about this format.
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

TRM Farm apologist and member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

ketwol
GEMP Username: ketwol

Post by ketwol »

Yoda007 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 11:11 am
The format so far:

- one copy of each card
- no rares or premium cards are allowed, except for objectives and defensive shields (remember, while HD is legal, the starting cards are not)
- all V cards are allowed, no matter what the rarity of the underlying card is (eg. Gold Leader in Gold 1 is illegal, but virtual version is OK)

Possible additional ban on No Idea/ISB.

Discuss below, however, i don't want to see a long list on here. But any input is welcome till 22nd September.
premium cards means all cards like Reflections 2, 3 premiums (Xizor, Boba Fett, BH), the cards from the enhanced packs and so on, right?

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

ketwol wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 1:09 am
Yoda007 wrote:
The format so far:

- one copy of each card

Possible additional ban on No Idea/ISB.

Discuss below, however, i don't want to see a long list on here. But any input is welcome till 22nd September.
premium cards means all cards like Reflections 2, 3 premiums (Xizor, Boba Fett, BH), the cards from the enhanced packs and so on, right?
Yes, no broken stuff! :)
Tamas Papp

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

Posted on the other subforum but posting here since it seems the more appropriate place:

I’m heavily in favor of banning NI, but also think Legend should be banned. They’re already the top two LS decks and will likely be heavily played in the open format but are little effected by the VR rules. No current top DS deck is viable in this format. If Legend and/or NI are permitted I think we will see a very lopsided LS win ratio.
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

ketwol
GEMP Username: ketwol

Post by ketwol »

So no shields but virtual ones are allowed. So time to play some cheese :yes:

chrknudsen2
GEMP Username: chrknudsen

Post by chrknudsen2 »

ketwol wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 5:51 am
Yoda007 wrote:

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

ketwol wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 5:51 am
No-no, mr. ketwol. I caught this before you. No cheese fondu party in this house. :)
Tamas Papp

Hazardville

Post by Hazardville »

Any word on what’s happening with This, or should we just expect everyone to run No Idea?

Justin Miyashiro

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Hazardville wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 12:21 pm
Any word on what’s happening with This, or should we just expect everyone to run No Idea?

I won't play no idea either way. Nor will I play ISB either way.

Berm
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by Berm »

rhendon wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 12:26 pm
Hazardville wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 12:21 pm

I won't play no idea either way. Nor will I play ISB either way.
ISB is at pretty hampered by the fact they can't run SSA (v) effectively (must start 2 battlegrounds on table) - and they can't run multiples of cards like Sonic Bombardment (v)/WMAOP, Imperial Command, among other missing options.

Just looking at the TMW No Idea decklists. They probably lose around 5 cards, none of them instrumental (GUTS for example would be unnecessary since scum can't be played anyway). MHT's top 8 No Idea deck only ran 4 duplicates (Rey, Lando, Rescue, Projection of Skywalker) and all of those were only 2x. Definitely other useful cards to swap for (and swap Lando out).

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

ISB was just listed as a possible ban. So I included it in my post.

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

I'll close the debate tomorrow morning.

But i'm leaning towards banning No Idea. I wonder if there is any other broken deck - but i guess we'll see it next month...
Tamas Papp

Hazardville

Post by Hazardville »

Yoda007 wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 5:52 pm

But i'm leaning towards banning No Idea. I wonder if there is any other broken deck - but i guess we'll see it next month...
Banning Legend would also be reasonable, though I think letting that one go might be ok since the typical builds have to change a fair bit (no EPP Quigon/Obi, no saber except Anakin's, no Strike Planning). As with No Idea, Legend benefits a lot from all of its key locations and characters being Virtual and thus avoiding the restrictions.
Justin Miyashiro

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Hazardville wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 7:12 pm
Yoda007 wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 5:52 pm

Banning Legend would also be reasonable, though I think letting that one go might be ok since the typical builds have to change a fair bit (no EPP Quigon/Obi, no saber except Anakin's, no Strike Planning). As with No Idea, Legend benefits a lot from all of its key locations and characters being Virtual and thus avoiding the restrictions.
It does like some rares though and the one copy rule makes it tougher to put things together.

Return to “2020 European Championship - Bochum, Germany”