25th World Championship- Final Schedule & Information

December, Online
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

25th World Championship- Final Schedule & Information

Post by imrahil327 »

Thank you for all of your feedback regarding the unique format we have planned for the 25th World Championship! I'm pleased to announce the schedule and final details for this event. If you are interested in playing, be sure to register now! You have until November 25th to register, at which time we will need to close registration to finalize the pods.

The cost to play is $25, or perhaps free if you place well in a Road to Worlds event! Be sure to note on your registration your first and second choice of Day 1 heat times- we will do our best to accommodate all such requests, within reason, including rebalancing pods and possibly having multiple pods starting at a given time, if that time is extremely popular. While we cannot enforce this as a rule, PLEASE do not discuss or share your heat choices with others, as it can lead to potential advantages when others choose theirs.

IMPORTANT DATES

-November 25, 11:59 PM EST: Registration closes
-November 27: Heat information is posted: a roster for each heat, as well as whether any heats have been removed or added
-December 4, 2:59 AM EST: All Day 1 decklists (for all heats) are due to decklists@starwarsccg.org
-December 5 & 6: Day 1 Heats (see this thread for heat assignments)
-December 11, 2:59 AM EST: All Day 2 decklists are due to decklists@starwarsccg.org
-December 12, 10:00 AM EST: Day 2 games begin
-December 13, 9:00 AM EST: All Day 3 decklists are due to decklists@starwarsccg.org
-December 13, 9:00 AM EST: Day 3 matchups are drawn
-December 13, 10:00 AM EST: Day 3 games begin

Heats and Advancement
Day 1: December 5 & 6
•Open to everyone
•Each player will have their choice of 4 different start times over the course of the first weekend (December 5-6). When you register, you will be asked for your first and second choices of pod to play in (people in the EST time-zone will be asked for their third as well.) We will guarantee that you will be in one of those pods. We're going to do our best to rebalance these pods (based on choice of start time, not strength of players) so that there are roughly even numbers in each pod. Also note that if a pod seems uniquely unpopular or there are not enough people, we reserve the right to contract/remove pods as necessary. All pod pairings and times will be finalized well in advance.
•The rough start times for these pods are:
-Saturday at 4am EST
-Saturday at 10am EST
-Sunday at 7am EST
-Sunday at 1pm EST
•Players will play a 6-game SOS tournament on Day 1, and anyone who finishes 4-2 or better will advance to Day 2.

Day 2: December 12
•Open to Day 1 qualifiers
•4-game SOS tournament starting at/around 10am EST
•Players will start the tournament with their record from Day 1 intact (for example, if you went 6-0 in Day 1, and won Game 1 on Day 2, you would be considered 7-0). Players will also retain their SoS scores from Day 1 play into Day 2. NOTE: Players MAY play the same person with the same side of the Force during their Day 1 pod and during Day 2 Swiss play. This will be mitigated by the players' ability to change to a different deck for Day 2.
•The top 8 players from Day 2 after 10 total games will move on to Day 3

Day 3: December 13
•Open to Day 2 qualifiers
•Match play tournament starting at/around 10am EST
•Standard top-8 rules will be in effect (random player 1-4 will play random player 5-8, etc), and the pairings will be randomized as shown on the schedule above.

Additional notes
•Players will choose 1 DS and 1 LS for each day that play, so they may change decks between days (ie. You play IE on Day 1, you can switch to Hunt Down on Day 2 and Map on Day 3, if you wanted)
•Decks will not be posted for any day until the conclusion of Day 3

Prize Pool
There will be quite a few prizes and giveaways to celebrate the 25th World Championship that we aren't quite ready to reveal yet, but here are the cash payouts:
1st place: $1,800
2nd place: $900
3rd-4th place: $400
5th-8th place: $200

We are greatly looking forward to this event, and we hope that you all are too! If you have any questions not answered above, please leave them below or drop me a PM!

Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Re: 25th World Championship- Final Schedule & Information

Post by Death Star »

imrahil327 wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 6:45 am
While we cannot enforce this as a rule, PLEASE do not discuss or share your heat choices with others, as it can lead to potential advantages when others choose theirs.
arebelspy wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:56 am
Death Star wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Doesn’t that potentially violate „don’t talk to others about your pod preference“?
What? Is that a rule?

Why shouldn't Baroni and Desai self-split into different pods? Or me and Hayes, or whatever? When was this stated, and how is it even enforced?

I'm pretty sure I said my pod preference to JNap while on air streaming this morning. :lol:
I remember we had this discussion in the OCS forums after the first season. How much sense does it make to postulate rules that are unenforceable.
It seems the PC did not make it a rule but just a plea, but the gist of the discussion was that some people will ignore it, some will bend it and some will feel bound by their honour code and potentially face a competitive disadvantage.

We will have to see, I also would expect teams to at least somewhat split out over multiple pods, though it could be that the PC will have to put some people into their second favorite pod and that might sabotage these splits.
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Death Star wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 5:00 am
imrahil327 wrote:
While we cannot enforce this as a rule, PLEASE do not discuss or share your heat choices with others, as it can lead to potential advantages when others choose theirs.
arebelspy wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:56 am
Death Star wrote:
November 6th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Doesn’t that potentially violate „don’t talk to others about your pod preference“?
What? Is that a rule?

Why shouldn't Baroni and Desai self-split into different pods? Or me and Hayes, or whatever? When was this stated, and how is it even enforced?

I'm pretty sure I said my pod preference to JNap while on air streaming this morning. :lol:
I remember we had this discussion in the OCS forums after the first season. How much sense does it make to postulate rules that are unenforceable.
It seems the PC did not make it a rule but just a plea, but the gist of the discussion was that some people will ignore it, some will bend it and some will feel bound by their honour code and potentially face a competitive disadvantage.

We will have to see, I also would expect teams to at least somewhat split out over multiple pods, though it could be that the PC will have to put some people into their second favorite pod and that might sabotage these splits.
Teams could also join together in case they need to concede to someone to ensure they get through too.

Also, if we are splitting off TDs and allowing them to play in other pods, this would obviously give them that info too.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

There is a weird line between not mentioning it and trying to get people to adhere to it. As someone from a large team (even though half of us likely won't be playing for one reason or the next) I can tell you that we will not be discussing it.

Full disclosure- I'm likely to be the one to move people around if they need to be moved around for balance purposes and will be doing it as randomly as I can.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

It's less relevant for a large team obviously. But still if you had a close friend, say Sreg Ghaw, who you discussed it with, that seems fine? And I don't see why Desai and Baroni couldn't discuss, to not be in the same pod.

I just don't understand the rule, and was hoping for an explanation.

That being said, I won't discuss it further with teammates.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:06 pm
It's less relevant for a large team obviously. But still if you had a close friend, say Sreg Ghaw, who you discussed it with, that seems fine? And I don't see why Desai and Baroni couldn't discuss, to not be in the same pod.

I just want to be in your pod if I play. My LS deck really needs aim high to not be on the table for me to win games.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

arebelspy wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 12:06 pm

This fictional Sreg Ghaw probably wouldn't even register until 5 mins before the deadline, so not worth discussing :lol: :lol:
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote: I just want to be in your pod if I play. My LS deck really needs aim high to not be on the table for me to win games.
Better make sure not to deploy it when you're playing said LS deck then.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 2:55 pm
rhendon wrote: I just want to be in your pod if I play. My LS deck really needs aim high to not be on the table for me to win games.
Better make sure not to deploy it when you're playing said LS deck then.
*. I messed that up.

Sagnet

Post by Sagnet »

imrahil327 wrote:

IMPORTANT DATES

-December 4, 12:01 AM EST: All Day 1 decklists (for all heats) are due to decklists@starwarsccg.org
-December 11, 12:01 AM EST: All Day 2 decklists are due to decklists@starwarsccg.org
-December 13, 9:00 AM EST: All Day 3 decklists are due to decklists@starwarsccg.org
I think I have suggested this before, but sending in decklists by email for a digital event should not be necessary. Collecting and validating decklists could (and should) be handled by GEMP automatically, like this:

- Which ever light side deck you upload and play with for your first light side game in an event (or day if a multi day event) is considered your light side deck for that event (or day)
- Which ever dark side deck you upload and play with for your first dark side game in an event (or day if a multi day event) is considered your dark side deck for that event (or day)
- In every subsequent game for that event (or day), the deck chosen is verified automatically against the first deck. If any differences are found, the TD is notified automatically by mail.
- After the event, decklists can be exported and published at the PC site directly from GEMP, without any manual work.

I know that these features are not implemented yet, but they should be considered, if digital events are to be more frequent in the years to come.

Death Star
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

Sagnet wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 4:02 am
imrahil327 wrote:

IMPORTANT DATES

-December 4, 12:01 AM EST: All Day 1 decklists (for all heats) are due to decklists@starwarsccg.org
-December 11, 12:01 AM EST: All Day 2 decklists are due to decklists@starwarsccg.org
I think I have suggested this before, but sending in decklists by email for a digital event should not be necessary. Collecting and validating decklists could (and should) be handled by GEMP automatically, like this:

- Which ever light side deck you upload and play with for your first light side game in an event (or day if a multi day event) is considered your light side deck for that event (or day)
- Which ever dark side deck you upload and play with for your first dark side game in an event (or day if a multi day event) is considered your dark side deck for that event (or day)
- In every subsequent game for that event (or day), the deck chosen is verified automatically against the first deck. If any differences are found, the TD is notified automatically by mail.
- After the event, decklists can be exported and published at the PC site directly from GEMP, without any manual work.

I know that these features are not implemented yet, but they should be considered, if digital events are to be more frequent in the years to come.
The problem with this idea is that for whatever deck you play in game 2, you can see at least the archetypes of half of your opponents during the first game. Unless we switch off that feature for tournaments in the future.
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

Sagnet

Post by Sagnet »

Death Star wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 4:12 am
Sagnet wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:

IMPORTANT DATES

The problem with this idea is that for whatever deck you play in game 2, you can see at least the archetypes of half of your opponents during the first game. Unless we switch off that feature for tournaments in the future.
Sorry, I didn't get that. Where would you see your opponent's decklists? I'm not suggesting that any thing changes about what you will see, or not see, as a player in GEMP. Only how decklists are handled behind the scenes.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Sagnet wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 5:05 am
Sorry, I didn't get that. Where would you see your opponent's decklists? I'm not suggesting that any thing changes about what you will see, or not see, as a player in GEMP. Only how decklists are handled behind the scenes.
If am currently playing my first game with dark.
I have the lobby open in another tab.
During my game I look at the lobby.
I see lots of top players playing COTVG.
Before I load my light deck, next game, I remove 2 copies of Dark Dissension from my list and add 2 copies of We Don't Need Their Scum.

This is why decks should be due in advance, before any information is available.

Sagnet

Post by Sagnet »

Hayes wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 5:28 am
Sagnet wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 5:05 am
If am currently playing my first game with dark.
I have the lobby open in another tab.
During my game I look at the lobby.
I see lots of top players playing COTVG.
Before I load my light deck, next game, I remove 2 copies of Dark Dissension from my list and add 2 copies of We Don't Need Their Scum.

This is why decks should be due in advance, before any information is available.
Thanks, I'm with you now. Yes, the information about which deck types are being played would have to be removed from the GEMP lobby in this case.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Death Star wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 4:12 am
Sagnet wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:

IMPORTANT DATES

Since the feature has to be implemented anyways, maybe we can just program it to where you upload the decks to the league. Since all tournaments take place in leagues (could create a new one called tournaments I guess), the league would then force you to choose the right deck that you uploaded. You can change deck lists by reuploading a deck. Once the tournament starts, the reupload would be disabled.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Sagnet wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:

IMPORTANT DATES

It's definitely something to work towards. I don't know the hierarchy of GEMP priorities, but I believe this is on it.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

PaulMyers
Starter
Starter

Post by PaulMyers »

I paid $25 via Paypal to register, but I must have missed where you can indicate pods. Can someone let me know how I can rectify this? Thanks.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Your multiple messages have been received about your pod choices

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

Rambows
Starter
Starter

Post by Rambows »

I paid and in the notes I chose the day that I would prefer. However, I hope that you might be flexible. After Thanksgiving, I will get my following week's schedule. My schedule is always in flux since I work with food and it is considered, "Essential." I hope that there could be a possibility of shifting towards Saturday if they force me to work on Sunday.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Since we are still two weeks out, I'd like to visit one point:
imrahil327 wrote: •Decks will not be posted for any day until the conclusion of Day 3
This is a huge disadvantage to anyone who is streamed--everyone has a week to watch that game and glean info from the deck.

Further, it's a huge advantage to bigger teams, as they'll have more replays to analyze.

If a team has 7 entrants, the odds that one of them plays top player X on either or both sides is pretty good. They will have a replay with ability to see what was in the deck via verifies, etc.

This is even worse than in person, where you'd have to remember "I don't think I saw monnok" to where you have a week to actually look at and analyze a deck.

I understand players can change their deck, so please don't come back with "well their opponents can change their deck." It's still a huge disadvantage to have your deck known to a big chunk of the field but not know their decks.

There's already a push for decklists to be available between days 2 and 3 of worlds (on Sat night, which, disclaimer, I AM against), but this feels like an even more magnified scenario of this, and the more fair thing to me would be to publish all decklists for everyone between the weeks.

Someone who has no team, or maybe a very small one where most were at the bottom tables but that person goes 4-2 or has a great 5-1 run is at a huge disadvantage versus the field that has maybe a half dozen replays across the days from them and/or teammates who played people who qualified to a team who has a half dozen+ members and has a replay vs nearly everyone who qualified.

I don't like having a disadvantage to anyone, especially a little guy.

I'm sure this was an item discussed before it was chosen, so some rationale would be nice, and perhaps reconsideration. I do hope this is not dismissed just because it is Joe Olson who is posting, and that's fun to do. I'm not trolling, this is a genuine comment that I think would make the event more fair.

Cheers!

Return to “2020 World Championship”