2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

December, Online
User avatar
Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 5598
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 7:48 pm
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

I will be posting more later this week, but for now here is the count of decks by archetype:


Dark Decks:
Hunt Down v - 28
ISB - 12
Shadow Collective - 9
Dathomir: Maul's Chambers SSAv - 5
CCT - 4
IE - 4
SYCFA - 4
Hunt Down - 4
Map - 3
TTO - 3
BHBM - 3
Bespin CRv - 3
Court - 2
Combat - 2
Watto - 2
Senate - 2
ROps v - 2
Other - 1
Invasion - 1
Endor Ops - 1
ASM - 1
AOBS - 1


Light Decks:
HITCO - 28
Legend - 20
WYS - 12
QMC - 10
Hoth CPv - 7
No Idea - 4
WHAP - 3
Hyperdrive v - 2
Diplo - 2
TRM - 2
Hidden Base - 2
TIGIH - 2
Old Allies - 1
Profit - 1
MWYHL - 1


Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 17395
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by arebelspy »

Adding this, courtesy of JJD in Slack, but nice to have available for everyone.

The decks for the 32 qualifiers.

LS:
HITCO 9
Legend 9
WYS 6
QMC 3
Diplo 2
Hyperdrive 1
TRM 1
No Idea 1

DS:
HDv 11
ISB 6
IE 4
CCT 2
Dathomir SSA 2
HD 1
SYC 1
Shadow 1
ROPS 1
Map 1
BHBM 1
AOBS 1

User avatar
timeofyouppi
Member
Posts: 1171
Joined: January 28th, 2014, 7:12 pm
Location: New Jersey
GEMP Username: timeyouppi

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by timeofyouppi »

Best decks are clearly IE, Diplo, and AOBS since 100% of them qualified.
Ban Monnok and Grimtaash

PaulMyers
Starter
Starter
Posts: 31
Joined: December 13th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by PaulMyers »

@timeyouppi- LOL. I played Diplo to honor Bfred in his absence. However...#diploisdead. :)

PaulMyers
Starter
Starter
Posts: 31
Joined: December 13th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by PaulMyers »

Adam- You're welcome to ignore this message altogether as I know you're busy. However, do you happen to have any stats on how the HITCO vs. HD-V matchup has played out? With these 2 decks seeming to be the most popular, I'm wondering how this matchup plays out across however many times it was played this past weekend (several dozen?).

User avatar
Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 5598
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 7:48 pm
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

PaulMyers wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 7:40 am
Adam- You're welcome to ignore this message altogether as I know you're busy. However, do you happen to have any stats on how the HITCO vs. HD-V matchup has played out? With these 2 decks seeming to be the most popular, I'm wondering how this matchup plays out across however many times it was played this past weekend (several dozen?).
I will be posting some more stats later today. For now here is HDv vs HITCO: 12-12
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 3174
Joined: June 20th, 2004, 4:53 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
GEMP Username: corran
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by Corran »

22 Dark platforms 15 Light platforms. Sure HiTCO and HD are dominant, but that's a diverse meta if I've ever seen one.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
Posts: 5710
Joined: July 14th, 2009, 2:16 pm
Location: Denmark (Toola)
GEMP Username: aermet69

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by aermet69 »

Corran wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:05 am
22 Dark platforms 15 Light platforms. Sure HiTCO and HD are dominant, but that's a diverse meta if I've ever seen one.
I disagree with the premise. The decks that are 1-offs and 2-offs are just as likely to be peoples favorite deck, or what they are comfortable with or random choice because all else sucked or something like that.

I can't say for sure if it's diverse or not, but the metric should be something else than the number of different decks played in total - also, this time, you only had to go 4-2 to proceed. Don't know if that made a difference for anyone, but bringing something chancy for one side is more viable here.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Jedicon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Posts: 929
Joined: June 28th, 2012, 2:06 am
GEMP Username: jokerking

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by Jedicon »

aermet69 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:54 am
Corran wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:05 am
22 Dark platforms 15 Light platforms. Sure HiTCO and HD are dominant, but that's a diverse meta if I've ever seen one.
I disagree with the premise. The decks that are 1-offs and 2-offs are just as likely to be peoples favorite deck, or what they are comfortable with or random choice because all else sucked or something like that.

I can't say for sure if it's diverse or not, but the metric should be something else than the number of different decks played in total - also, this time, you only had to go 4-2 to proceed. Don't know if that made a difference for anyone, but bringing something chancy for one side is more viable here.
I would be much more interested in the deck selection amongst Day 2 participants. I had no illusions about making Day 2, so I just played decks that I enjoyed playing [Bespin CRv, Hyperdrive (v) ]

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 17395
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by arebelspy »

Jedicon wrote:
aermet69 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:54 am
Corran wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:05 am
22 Dark platforms 15 Light platforms. Sure HiTCO and HD are dominant, but that's a diverse meta if I've ever seen one.
I disagree with the premise. The decks that are 1-offs and 2-offs are just as likely to be peoples favorite deck, or what they are comfortable with or random choice because all else sucked or something like that.

I can't say for sure if it's diverse or not, but the metric should be something else than the number of different decks played in total - also, this time, you only had to go 4-2 to proceed. Don't know if that made a difference for anyone, but bringing something chancy for one side is more viable here.
I would be much more interested in the deck selection amongst Day 2 participants. I had no illusions about making Day 2, so I just played decks that I enjoyed playing [Bespin CRv, Hyperdrive (v) ]
I posted that info earlier in this thread.

User avatar
spideyguy0
Member
Posts: 7672
Joined: January 1st, 2003, 1:57 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by spideyguy0 »

Rather than a breakdown of decks among Day 2 competitors, is there a breakdown of decks that went 3-0? If someone went 3-0 with LS and 1-2 with DS, that DS deck is currently listed in the Day 2 breakdown even though it didnt perform well. Likewise, someone couldve gone 3-0 with one side and 0-3 with the other side (I can think of at least one person who did this) and their 3-0 deck isnt included either.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 3174
Joined: June 20th, 2004, 4:53 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
GEMP Username: corran
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by Corran »

8 LS and 12 DS decks made day 2(out of 32 players). That's pretty diverse as well.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

User avatar
Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 5598
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 7:48 pm
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

spideyguy0 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 12:41 pm
Rather than a breakdown of decks among Day 2 competitors, is there a breakdown of decks that went 3-0? If someone went 3-0 with LS and 1-2 with DS, that DS deck is currently listed in the Day 2 breakdown even though it didnt perform well. Likewise, someone couldve gone 3-0 with one side and 0-3 with the other side (I can think of at least one person who did this) and their 3-0 deck isnt included either.
There is not yet, but there will be.
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

Jedicon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Posts: 929
Joined: June 28th, 2012, 2:06 am
GEMP Username: jokerking

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by Jedicon »

arebelspy wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 12:37 pm
Jedicon wrote:
aermet69 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 11:54 am
Corran wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 10:05 am
22 Dark platforms 15 Light platforms. Sure HiTCO and HD are dominant, but that's a diverse meta if I've ever seen one.
I disagree with the premise. The decks that are 1-offs and 2-offs are just as likely to be peoples favorite deck, or what they are comfortable with or random choice because all else sucked or something like that.

I can't say for sure if it's diverse or not, but the metric should be something else than the number of different decks played in total - also, this time, you only had to go 4-2 to proceed. Don't know if that made a difference for anyone, but bringing something chancy for one side is more viable here.
I would be much more interested in the deck selection amongst Day 2 participants. I had no illusions about making Day 2, so I just played decks that I enjoyed playing [Bespin CRv, Hyperdrive (v) ]
I posted that info earlier in this thread.
Let me rephrase.

I will be interested to see the decks selected on Day 2 amongst Day 2 participants.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 17395
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by arebelspy »

I see. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that'll be interesting.

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11466
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by rhendon »

spideyguy0 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 12:41 pm
Rather than a breakdown of decks among Day 2 competitors, is there a breakdown of decks that went 3-0? If someone went 3-0 with LS and 1-2 with DS, that DS deck is currently listed in the Day 2 breakdown even though it didnt perform well. Likewise, someone couldve gone 3-0 with one side and 0-3 with the other side (I can think of at least one person who did this) and their 3-0 deck isnt included either.
I can't think of a person who went 3-0 and 0-3....
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

rhendon
Member
Posts: 11466
Joined: August 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 1:24 pm
I see. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that'll be interesting.
Only if you guys make it interesting. Everyone could select HDv, hitco or legend and ruin it.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

User avatar
spideyguy0
Member
Posts: 7672
Joined: January 1st, 2003, 1:57 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by spideyguy0 »

rhendon wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 1:56 pm
spideyguy0 wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 12:41 pm
Rather than a breakdown of decks among Day 2 competitors, is there a breakdown of decks that went 3-0? If someone went 3-0 with LS and 1-2 with DS, that DS deck is currently listed in the Day 2 breakdown even though it didnt perform well. Likewise, someone couldve gone 3-0 with one side and 0-3 with the other side (I can think of at least one person who did this) and their 3-0 deck isnt included either.
I can't think of a person who went 3-0 and 0-3....
I must've been mistaken
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 17395
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by arebelspy »

Echo Base Trooper wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 9:55 am
PaulMyers wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 7:40 am
Adam- You're welcome to ignore this message altogether as I know you're busy. However, do you happen to have any stats on how the HITCO vs. HD-V matchup has played out? With these 2 decks seeming to be the most popular, I'm wondering how this matchup plays out across however many times it was played this past weekend (several dozen?).
I will be posting some more stats later today. For now here is HDv vs HITCO: 12-12
This is what I suspected.

Conversation from slack, for those who aren't on it, or don't follow closely:

echien:
So what are people's thoughts on HITCO vs HDv after this experience? In terms of side favorability
arebelspy:
It feels pretty even to me. There's victory paths for both sides of it.

And obviously depends on the builds/tricks. Like my hitco build was more anti-isb (alter and leia of alderaan both for strategic, and blount) than anti ds mains

Like Wirfs had crush and 2x IHYN. That is good hitco hate.

But assuming similar number of tricks, gun to my head for a one game finals I'd rather pick two, maybe even just one card to get in my opening hand, and let my opponent pick the side, I think they're that close.

But as the builds change and adjust to each other, one side may come out on top

Last meta NI and ISB seemed somewhat even early on, and then ISB just started crushing it.
chriskelly:
"But assuming similar number of tricks, gun to my head for a one game finals I'd rather pick two, maybe even just one card to get in my opening hand, and let my opponent pick the side, I think they're that close."

What would those one or two cards be?

Asking for a friend.
arebelspy:
for ds the bridge first, and defensive something second, preferably sniper/ds or yab, but force field is good too. for ls evac first (assuming it's in deck, i think a lot don't run it, but I think it's pretty crucial in this meta), luke 2nd, a trick (satm/clash--assuming no crush/blaster d) 3rd (or 2nd if no evac).

luke is pretty needed. like, HD can pull and relocate vader. he's guaranteed. HITCO that doesn't get luke in the first few turns is pretty disappointing.

We almost upped from 5 to 6 for that reason. opening hand luke against a lot of stuff and t1 to village is just such a strong play (probably not t1 vs HD, but having him is still crucial).

and while vader is guaranteed for DS, activation is not, so bridge (we went to 4x accelerate). and flip for LS--luke not guaranteed, but the yoda's hut is.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 17395
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2020 Worlds Day 1 Meta

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 1:56 pm
arebelspy wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 1:24 pm
I see. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, that'll be interesting.
Only if you guys make it interesting. Everyone could select HDv, hitco or legend and ruin it.
Oh, I would find that fact interesting.

Watching/playing might not be as interesting, but it will be interesting to see regardless of the choices.

Post Reply

Return to “2020 World Championship”