Collaborators for video tutorial series?

Content Creators -- please share your SWCCG related content here, such as streams, podcasts, blogs, or anything else you are working on for the game!
challenger
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: echien

Collaborators for video tutorial series?

Post by challenger »

Hi all, recently I was looking for basic intro materials to try to get a friend into the game, and I discovered that there is not much out there for learning the fundamental rules. There is some excellent material for learning basic strategy, but not for actually learning the rules from the ground up. I did find several rules tutorials on YouTube, and I certainly don't mean to denigrate the volunteer contributions of those individuals, but personally I felt that the tutorials lacked enough structure and clarity to be a durable autodidactic solution. In this age of Gemp, it seems there is a large opportunity to introduce new players to the game without need of an in-person tutor at the proverbial kitchen table--but that opportunity is predicated on the availability of clear, concise, and engaging remote learning materials.

So, I have been drawing up plans to record a basic video tutorial series, segmented into 5-7 minute modules by topic (Card Types, Force Draining, Movement, etc.) and sequenced in a way that enables the learner to jump into simple play ASAP. For example, in the discussion of Locations, the difference between interior and exterior sites will be ignored in the Tier 1 learning modules. Interior/exterior can wait until Tier 2, and scomp links are probably out of scope for the entire series.

Ultimately, I think I will also want to make a set of 40-card Gemp import files indexed to the Tiers that learners can use to explore the concepts without overwhelm. For example, if vehicles have not been explained in the Tier 1 modules, then the Tier 1 practice decks would not include any vehicles in them. This will offer a pedagogical advantage over having learners play sealed formats, where there's a limitation on the card pool but not so much on the possible game mechanics that will come up. Perhaps the series can build up to learners playing the Demo Decks.

So, to come to the point: I'm putting the word out in case anyone wants to collab with me on this. I'm open to any level of involvement from video graphics to content sequencing to just gut-checking the outlines for clarity. I have some training/teaching experience, but it's always quite easy to think that you're explaining something clearly when, in fact, you're not. Let me know!

Edward Chien

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Collaborators for video tutorial series?

Post by arebelspy »

I'd be happy to help in some capacity (be the opponent, etc.).

Streaming a game with some screen drawing tools and being on discord with the opponent talking out loud about each phase, etc. seems like a reasonable way to go.

challenger
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by challenger »

That's a great idea, Joe. For the initial modules I'm going to be moving physical cards around on a table so that the viewers can clearly understand what's happening (e.g. when destiny is drawn in Gemp, all you really see is cards flashing and it is not clear what's going on unless you already know the rules), and also so that I can minutely plan and script out the precise cards that will be played and appear. But since this is a remote learning tutorial, it should definitely build up to a demo of Gemp, probably ten minutes or so of the two players talking through things on Discord and using some screen drawing tools like you suggested. I'll take your name down and reach back out when I'm a little further along. Thanks!
Edward Chien

Thekillerkiwi
GEMP Username: killerkiwi

Post by Thekillerkiwi »

Were you planning on filming this video series yourself or would you like someone else to film it and then you can do narration over it? If you want to script out the sequences, then I can film myself playing cards from different "cinematic angles" and edit them together if you want to record audio for it.
Brandon Baity
2020 Endor League Champion

Please support my SWCCG Documentary - https://www.gofundme.com/star-wars-ccg-documentary

Check out my Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/thenanashi

challenger
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by challenger »

Thanks, Brandon! That's a generous offer. Let me think about what will be the most efficient, but I'm stoked that you may be available to assist.
Edward Chien

challenger
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by challenger »

Hi all, things got crazy at work and progress has been slow, but I've kept moving with this. I have talking points drafted here for the Preface video: "What is Star Wars CCG and why should I play it?" Anyone with this link can comment, and I welcome any comments: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QPb ... sp=sharing

The preface video is targeted to people who are curious but are not already committed to learning how to play, so it needs to be short and hit the highest points.

I also have the outline made for the Tier 1 modules. PM me your email address if you're interested in looking at those and sharing your thoughts.
Edward Chien

Return to “Content Creation”