2021 OCS Event Details- 1st event begins Feb 2021

Post by gogolen »

Here are the updated policies for 2021!

Format-
•6 OCS Qualifiers, each running for 1 month starting in February
a) Season 1- Feb, March, May
b) Season 2 - June, Aug, Sept

•OCSQs use the league format on GEMP

•In each OCSQ, a player will be eligible to play up to 12 games total (6 LS/6 DS), and will be eligible to play a given opponent once per side.

•Entry for each month's OCS is $10 or $50 for the Full Season pass (all 6 months)

•The top 2 finishers during each OCSQ will earn berths into the Online Championship Playoff. If there is a tie, the player with the better win percentage will earn the berth; if still tied, the player with the better opponent's win percentage will win. If either the first or second place finisher is already qualified, then one of the berths will be passed down to the third place finisher. If there is still a berth available after this (that is, if any two of the top three are already qualified), it will be added to an "at-large" pool, to be awarded after all 6 OCSQs are completed. The highest cumulative score over all 6 months will be awarded the berth to the Playoffs

In addition, there will be 2 At-large bids awarded at the end of each 3-month Season. The 2 players with the highest cumulative score during that season (and not already qualified) will earn a berth to the Playoffs.

•If you would like to enter all 6 OCSQs at a discount, you can purchase a season pass:

https://store.starwarsccg.org/product/s ... ason-pass/

Current season pass holders:

viewtopic.php?f=1240&t=76983

2021 OCS Playoff Qualified Players:

1) Brian Fred (Feb 11-1)
2) Bastian Winkelhaus (Feb 11-1)

•The Online Championship will be a top 16 single-elimination, match-play bracket that will take place throughout October & November.
•Players will be seeded based on their performance across all qualifiers.
•The players will schedule their games and inform the PC in advance, so that we can promote each one and give everyone a chance to spectate these games live. We will also be streaming as many of these games as possible with live commentary.

Prizes
•Players who complete at least 8 games in an OCS Qualifier will receive an exclusive foil virtual slip, and will get an extra copy of that slip for finishing all 12 games each month. There will be a different foil slip for each of the 6 qualifiers. Players who finish all 72 games will receive the same Foil as the Top 16

•Other prizes and random giveaways may be given out at the discretion of the PC.

•Championship Series prizes (subject to change based on registrations) :
1st place: $800 and a MAIN v-card design
2nd place: $400
3rd & 4th place: $200
5th through 8th place: $100
9th through 16th place: $50
-All Top 16 competitors will receive a special AI foil v-slip, exclusive to the OCS.
-All Top 8 competitors will also receive a trophy (to be mailed after the conclusion of the tournament) and Player of the Year points commensurate to a Major.

Rules/Misc. Info
•As this is a new event type, we have done our best to ensure a fun and fair structure for all concerned. That said, we recognize that we may not have perfectly hit on the correct structure, and as such, many of the specifics are subject to change- if (for example) we find that the maximum number of rounds in each qualifier (or the number of rounds required to receive prizes) is either too high or too low, we reserve the right to adjust them. Additionally, the cash prizes are a baseline, and if the Qualifiers are wildly successful we may be able to increase the amount given.

•Each person may enter each qualifier with only one account. If someone is found having multiple accounts in a given qualifier, all such accounts will be removed from the qualifier and prevented from participating in future ones.

•Chat is intentionally disabled for spectators of OCSQ and OCS games.

•This is an official SWCCG PC sanctioned event, and as such any player banned from playing in PC tournaments is also banned from playing in this event.

•If games are interrupted, completed prematurely or glitched due to a technical error with the GEMP Server, please report it to one of the GEMP team and/or the Tournament Committee. A list of the affected games will be generated. In such a case, if both players agree to hold to the result of the game, the game will be considered final. If either player disputes the result, the game will be removed from the record and both players will be eligible to play an additional game that month.

•Please treat these games as tournament games. This means that once you enter an OCSQ game, you should not ask to cancel and re-play the game later, and your opponent has the full right to refuse such requests. Please play your games when you will not be interrupted. You should also not receive outside assistance during these games, just like you wouldn't during a real-life tournament. All OCS games should only be completed by the accountholder, and not someone else using their account.

*Scheduling of games is not permitted, and each person should make an honest effort to win each game they are competing in

*The Time Limit for each game will be 45 minutes per player, and extensions are not allowed. Please make sure you are on a stable internet connection before beginning your game.

OCS Top 16 Selection Process
The #1 seed will choose from one of the other 15 players, then the #2 seed (if not already chosen) will choose someone without an opponent, and so on, until the last two unpicked play each other. Selection order is based on final cumulative point totals after all 7 qualifiers have been completed.
We will set up a 16 person bracket based on the spots players were selected. Whomever #1 picks becomes the #16 seed, #2’s opponent will be the #15, etc…
Once the bracket has been set, rankings will not be changed and each player will have an established path towards the finals.

Summary of changes from 2020:

1) Player timer reduced from 50 minutes per player to 45 minutes per player.

2) Instead of the OCS being a 7-month long season, we split it up into two 3-month seasons.
a) Season 1- Feb, March, May (6 qualifiers + 2 At large)
b) Season 2 - June, Aug, Sept (6 qualifiers + 2 At large)

the gaps in April and July are intended to work around other likely online Majors (MPC etc...)
Last edited by gogolen on February 28th, 2021, 7:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Re: 2021 OCS Event Details- Coming Soon

Post by gogolen »

details are now posted and registration is open in the PC store.

Please note the changes made this year. The timer reduction was based on feedback from the Player Survey, the OCS post and the data provided by EBT related to overall length of games. We will continue to monitor this data and see if any additional adjustments to the timer need to be made.

Also, the overall number of games was reduced and the season was split into 2 parts. Again, this was based on feedback we received about the 7-month grind being too much for some players.

PC Store Manager
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Re: 2021 OCS Event Details- Coming Soon

Post by arebelspy »

gogolen wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 9:44 am
details are now posted and registration is open in the PC store.

Please note the changes made this year. The timer reduction was based on feedback from the Player Survey, the OCS post and the data provided by EBT related to overall length of games. We will continue to monitor this data and see if any additional adjustments to the timer need to be made.

Also, the overall number of games was reduced and the season was split into 2 parts. Again, this was based on feedback we received about the 7-month grind being too much for some players.
(And 4 at-large now due to season split.)

All those seem like good changes :yes:

londonsean
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack
GEMP Username: londonsean

Re: 2021 OCS Event Details- 1st event begins Feb 2021

Post by londonsean »

“ Other prizes and random giveaways may be given out at the discretion of the PC.”

That sounds exciting and fun.
English National Runner-up - 2019
OCS 2019 (19-65) | OCS 2020 (18-66)
Participation Award Recipient MPC 2020, TMW 2020, Euros 2020, RTW 2020, World Championships 2020

“Too many decisions are made in isolation. The game isn't played in a vacuum (the dust would get all over your cards, you'd definitely need to double sleeve).” -arebelspy

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

arebelspy wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 1:10 pm
All those seem like good changes
:agree:
Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club
Image Image Image

CoffeePass

Post by CoffeePass »

Yeah, fantastic changes -- really looking forward to the new season!

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Discussion point... And it needs to be discussed in the next 2 weeks, before the event*:

POTY points for the OCS. Currently (from poty 2020 thread) "Top 16 of the OCS will also earn 1 pt (2020 change)"

IMO, each OCS month should award poty points. (The amount can be up for discussion, maybe 3/2/1 for 1st 2nd 3rd? Maybe just 2/1 for 1st/2nd?)

Winning an OCS month is HARD. There's 60+ people trying to win each month. Each month is almost a mini major and a lot of games (12).

Pros:
Rewards good play.
Keeps players playing after they've qualified, so top players still are fighting out top spots, for poty points. So more people playing more games.

Cons:
Keeps players playing after they've qualified, so top players still are fighting out top spots, making it less likely other people qualify.

Though IDK if this con is totally accurate, as some top players still play every month (like Bastian and PMyers last year) to maximize their points for top 16 seeding, so that would happen anyways.

PLUS this con (top players still playing) might actually be its own 2nd pro, as more top players taking those top spots creates more at-large bids.. which incentivizes everyone to play more games to try to snag an at-large bid. So more people playing more games.

Overall, I think it's a pretty clear benefit and fair if some small amount of poty points were added per OCS month.

Thoughts?

*Because making this so after the event's started isn't fair for people who might have played otherwise for the poty points, but it wasn't announced that was the case.

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

That is an interesting conversation to have for 2022 POY points.

PC Store Manager

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Why not 2021? No OCS games have been played.

Have any POTY points been earned in the first two weeks of the season?

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

arebelspy wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 4:45 pm

You've been around long enough to know the time table for getting changes to things done.
Spoiler
Show
Its longer than 2 weeks

PC Store Manager

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

The problem is that by the end of an event we're all burned out and don't necessarily think of these things. Sometimes in a feedback thread they come up (usually because they've been discussed a bunch before, or have egregious paul myers games, so everyone remembers oh yeah, we talked abut the clock being lowered two years ago and it still wasn't), but a lot of times they come up just before an event because that's when the idea strikes someone, and waiting a year to implement it is silly.
gogolen wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 6:16 pm
arebelspy wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 4:45 pm

You've been around long enough to know the time table for getting changes to things done.
Spoiler
Show
Its longer than 2 weeks
If that is true, the process is broken, and something needs to be fixed. Some tournament committee stuff (say, big rules changes related to online reverts) takes months of discussion and figuring out wording. For sure. No question.

A minor change to poty points? Someone saying "hey, this idea sounds pretty good. what if we implement it and see how it goes*, and assess after and revert back next year if it doesn't work after feedback? anyone post any objections by Friday" doesn't--and shouldn't--take a lot.

*and/or include public feedback in a similar way by posting it in a thread and saying "we're going to implement this change, unless there is big public blow back before the event because of something we haven't thought of, in which case we'll pause if for more discussion"
(fwiw, of the small number of people on slack discussing the idea, everyone was for it)

Maybe a more agile system could be introduced to the TC for trying new ideas, and being willing to fail and change stuff?

So, so many of the TC's ideas have been fantastic. SOS. all 6-2s having a chance to make the cut. top 1-4 vs bottom 1-4 randomized. etc. But also some of them take years. And sometimes that's reasonable. Sometimes it isn't. And having the ability to discern which type of decision needs major scrutiny from everyone on the team and which is "cool, this is minor and sounds good, let's try it" instead of putting them all in the "this'll take years to get everyone on the team to even read the thread" pile.

something something han solo picture as a meme talking about discussing stuff in a committee.

:)

I swear I'm not trying to antagonize and/or be negative. As far as I'm aware of people on the TC, I like them all, and some of them a great deal. I'm just pointing out.. this shouldn't be that hard. :)

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

there's plenty of time for change -

do a poll, if 60% favor a change put up a 2nd poll with the point configs.

PaulMyers
Starter
Starter

Post by PaulMyers »

I respect Chris's concern about the time required for a change. I also agree w/ Joe's proposal, and would like to see it incorporated effective this year. Anything that increases the incentive for more people to play OCS, and top players playing longer into months, is an idea worth supporting for me. I love the idea. Let's do it.

I don't consider my opinion as worth very much, but I'm in. As I said on Holotheatre, I intend to play more events this year, and make my very best effort to win POTY. I'm playing all 12 games, every month, and giving 110% on each game. :)

Chris- thanks for setting up the OCS and for your posts. I'm registering right now...

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

gogolen wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 5:11 pm

•Please treat these games as tournament games. This means that once you enter an OCSQ game, you should not ask to cancel and re-play the game later, and your opponent has the full right to refuse such requests. Please schedule your games when you will not be interrupted. You should also not receive outside assistance during these games, just like you wouldn't during a real-life tournament. All OCS games should only be completed by the accountholder, and not someone else using their account.

*Scheduling of games is not permitted, and each person should make an honest effort to win each game they are competing in

I am probably overlooking something here, but I wanted to confirm the proper protocol on this. Can I only play league games where I log into gemp and see random people in the lobby? Or can I post on the forums or slack or whatever to set up matches with players that fit my schedule?

Thanks,

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

The Franchise wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 8:35 pm
gogolen wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 5:11 pm

•Please treat these games as tournament games. This means that once you enter an OCSQ game, you should not ask to cancel and re-play the game later, and your opponent has the full right to refuse such requests. Please schedule your games when you will not be interrupted. You should also not receive outside assistance during these games, just like you wouldn't during a real-life tournament. All OCS games should only be completed by the accountholder, and not someone else using their account.

I am probably overlooking something here, but I wanted to confirm the proper protocol on this. Can I only play league games where I log into gemp and see random people in the lobby? Or can I post on the forums or slack or whatever to set up matches with players that fit my schedule?

Thanks,
The first instance of "schedule" that you highlight should be read as "play". Please play your games when you will not be interrupted.

The second sets forth the rule that you cannot ask another play to play in an OCS game with you. So you are correct, you can only play in OCS games when you log in to gemp, and put up or a join a random game. No advertising or setting up matches.

gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Fixed that wording

PC Store Manager

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

gogolen wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 11:50 pm
Fixed that wording
Did you get committee approval for that?!

(I hope this got a laugh rather than annoying you.)

CoffeePass

Post by CoffeePass »

I think it'd be great if each month of OCS counted as a major for all the reasons Joe listed.

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

CoffeePass wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 3:51 pm
I think it'd be great if each month of OCS counted as a major for all the reasons Joe listed.
x2
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

dillen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: dillen

Post by dillen »

CoffeePass wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 3:51 pm
x3

Return to “2021 Online Championship Series”