2021 OCS Event Details- 1st event begins Feb 2021

ketwol
GEMP Username: ketwol

Re: 2021 OCS Event Details- 1st event begins Feb 2021

Post by ketwol »

I also think OCS points for each month should be awarded but not 1:1 like a major.

For winning euros - even with < 30 people in attendance - you have to play & beat players like Emil, Bastian, krypto, Silverglen and so on multiple times (latest in match play).

You can win a OCS month with like 60 people in attendance without having to win against top level players as often, due to the pairings not being SoS based. It is far easier to go 10:2 and place top 4 in a OCS month than making top 4 at a major.

Would you think it is reasonable to award more points (due to more online players being in attendance) to such a OCS month than to someone winning Euros or the Endor Grand Prix?

How about something like 5 / 3 / 2 / 1 for 1 - 4 or 3 / 2 / 1 for 1 - 3?

CoffeePass

Post by CoffeePass »

ketwol wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 5:26 am
I also think OCS points for each month should be awarded but not 1:1 like a major.

For winning euros - even with < 30 people in attendance - you have to play & beat players like Emil, Bastian, krypto, Silverglen and so on multiple times (latest in match play).

You can win a OCS month with like 60 people in attendance without having to win against top level players as often, due to the pairings not being SoS based. It is far easier to go 10:2 and place top 4 in a OCS month than making top 4 at a major.

Would you think it is reasonable to award more points (due to more online players being in attendance) to such a OCS month than to someone winning Euros or the Endor Grand Prix?

Sure -- I don't know the current point system at all, but less of a multiple for winning an OCS month makes sense since I also agree that in general qualifying for OCS is way less difficult than making Top 8 of a major.

I guess maybe this is why it can't be done in the next week or so since it might require re-structing of the whole point system (e.g. make it 2 points for making Top 8 of a major so you can make it 1 point for winning an OCS month, plus 1 point for qualifying, so like if you win two months you get 3 points total, which seems reasonable). With that said, I think the benefit to the whole of OCS would be huge (e.g. incentivizing good players to play throughout the whole season; I think it's fairly obvious if you look at the last couple months from last season there was a drop off in competition and I say that as someone who qualified in the last month lol) and would be worth the time for whoever makes the decisions on POTY points to sit down as a group for an hour or so and work it out by February 1. (And I am happy to volunteer to be on that group!)

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

ketwol wrote:I also think OCS points for each month should be awarded but not 1:1 like a major.

Yeah, I don't think anyone was saying top 8 or something should get points.

I proposed two options:
"The amount can be up for discussion, maybe 3/2/1 for 1st 2nd 3rd? Maybe just 2/1 for 1st/2nd?"

The first the same as your second one, the second even more restrictive.

In either case, it isn't something that should take weeks. It should take a "okay, we'll try 2/1 points and see how it goes", IMO.

Like, things won't get more clear with the points in six months. We know how poty works. We know how OCS works. We have years of data.

I don't see why we'd later be able to decide X points is better than Y.

Throw a couple points to the top 2, maybe top 3. Make it more competitive, and also rewarded.

Done.

Given it seems like we agree (i.e. this post fully agrees with yours), ... x4?

:)

ketwol
GEMP Username: ketwol

Post by ketwol »

arebelspy wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 10:57 am
ketwol wrote:I also think OCS points for each month should be awarded but not 1:1 like a major.

Yeah, I don't think anyone was saying top 8 or something should get points.

I proposed two options:
"The amount can be up for discussion, maybe 3/2/1 for 1st 2nd 3rd? Maybe just 2/1 for 1st/2nd?"

The first the same as your second one, the second even more restrictive.

In either case, it isn't something that should take weeks. It should take a "okay, we'll try 2/1 points and see how it goes", IMO.

Like, things won't get more clear with the points in six months. We know how poty works. We know how OCS works. We have years of data.

I don't see why we'd later be able to decide X points is better than Y.

Throw a couple points to the top 2, maybe top 3. Make it more competitive, and also rewarded.

Done.

Given it seems like we agree (i.e. this post fully agrees with yours), ... x4?

:)
That'd work for me, so x4 :)

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

Just so everyone knows, I am planning on calculating OCS ratings like I did last year.
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Echo Base Trooper wrote:Just so everyone knows, I am planning on calculating OCS ratings like I did last year.
Is there anything PC related or sponsored tied to these, or will there be retroactively?

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

arebelspy wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 3:51 pm
Echo Base Trooper wrote:Just so everyone knows, I am planning on calculating OCS ratings like I did last year.
Is there anything PC related or sponsored tied to these, or will there be retroactively?
Good question. I am just doing them for fun. I don't know if other people will be using them for anything.
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Post by Solidsnack3 »

It might not work due to the presence of offline events, or maybe it would be something that's just OCS specific, but built in rating system in GEMP might be something that eventually saves you some work in GEMP Adam. It could be something that's displayed alongside your replays too to see how you've done historically, or how many 1600+ players you have beaten, etc..

Not suggesting more work as I know your team has a lot (I have actually found a lot of my suggestions already have some legs in development) but might be a cool feature that saves you time at the end of the day as a cool feature down the line.
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 3:58 pm
arebelspy wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 3:51 pm
Good question. I am just doing them for fun. I don't know if other people will be using them for anything.
-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

The_Emp
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: The_Emp

Post by The_Emp »

A scrub like me is debating joining OCS, just because it would be new and fun, though I'm not certain of the time commitment yet. So I'll chime in:
I echo most of the comments made here.
1) I think we should be able to adjust the points before the tournament starts
2) ANYTHING that incentivizes more players to play in the tournament is smart, as well as getting more people to continue playing all their games to the fullest.
3) I also agree that when someone wins an OCS month, or places top 2 it should be worth points similar to a major, but with more points awarded to a major. If we don't think we have enough time to change 'the whole point system', then we can make something worth partial points.

Anything that increases 'prestige' and exclusivity is generally successful - simply because of human nature.
So a few points come to mind:
Prizes - more prizes, even to the lower scoring players is smart. Anything that would be exclusive that nobody else could get unless they played in the OCS is smart - it should increase the players playing.
Cash - More people will continue to enter and continue playing their games if their is always a chance of winning. Whether that goes to total POY points (agreed - smart) or towards a possible bonus or raffle like drawing is good.

Anything that also adds prestige is smart - so just like we see with sports - is there a way to add a number symbol to peoples GEMP login names that show ranking? Maybe it could be from previous Player of the Year points? Or perhaps we do a ranking number that JUST involves people that participate in the OCS, so it would build more prestige for the tournament??

I'll post something on the general forums as maybe a separate point system for 'ranking' can also be tallied, which awards people any 'participation' in a major or in the OCS. All of this should incentivize more people to participate in the OCS and majors.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Good post Emp

Hope you join! It's a fun time, and good way to improve.

PaulMyers
Starter
Starter

Post by PaulMyers »

Has there been a financial incentive added to player of the year for 2021? If not, this whole discussion of adding points via the OCS may be a moot point. It’d be great if we could do something (add points AND add money to POTY) in the next week because I would guess that only 34 players registered is not the target. Wouldn’t that be a significant regression from years past?

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

PaulMyers wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 6:42 am
Has there been a financial incentive added to player of the year for 2021? If not, this whole discussion of adding points via the OCS may be a moot point. It’d be great if we could do something (add points AND add money to POTY) in the next week because I would guess that only 34 players registered is not the target. Wouldn’t that be a significant regression from years past?
Registration for events around here, in my experience, have always been heavily weighted towards right before the event starts. For OCS, it’s even more so since the season pass doesn’t cease to be offered once the event starts. I’d venture that the 34 number isn’t much different than last year at same point.
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

gogolen wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 5:11 pm

•Championship Series prizes (subject to change based on registrations) :
1st place: $800 and a MAIN v-card design
2nd place: $400
3rd & 4th place: $200
5th through 8th place: $100
9th through 16th place: $50
-All Top 16 competitors will receive a special AI foil v-slip, exclusive to the OCS.
-All Top 8 competitors will also receive a trophy (to be mailed after the conclusion of the tournament) and Player of the Year points commensurate to a Major.
I just registered. Chris, for the future, can we make top 16 prizes for europeans "players can opt to receive free registration to next OCS season instead of 50$"?`

Or make it for everyone, but its gonna most useful for europeans, between the currency exchange rates and paypals fee its like 4-5$ out of those 50 I just paid go to paypal.
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Death Star wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 7:34 am
gogolen wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 5:11 pm

•Championship Series prizes (subject to change based on registrations) :
1st place: $800 and a MAIN v-card design
2nd place: $400
3rd & 4th place: $200
5th through 8th place: $100
9th through 16th place: $50
-All Top 16 competitors will receive a special AI foil v-slip, exclusive to the OCS.
-All Top 8 competitors will also receive a trophy (to be mailed after the conclusion of the tournament) and Player of the Year points commensurate to a Major.
I just registered. Chris, for the future, can we make top 16 prizes for europeans "players can opt to receive free registration to next OCS season instead of 50$"?`

Or make it for everyone, but its gonna most useful for europeans, between the currency exchange rates and paypals fee its like 4-5$ out of those 50 I just paid go to paypal.
Seems reasonable, I can make sure to ask the non-americans how they prefer to handle their winnings.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

PaulMyers wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 6:42 am
I don't think there should be a financial incentive to POTY.

And I say that as the only three time winner, as well as having won it in back-to-back years, so obviously it having money is something that is more likely to affect me positively than all but a handful of players, but I don't think on a larger perspective for the game we need more money thrown at the top players.

If you win poty, you'll have gotten paid for your placements at events, and that's enough.

I like poty being about prestige and (now) a spot on the Outrider Cup team. Maybe other non-financial tangibles or intangibles could be added (like the outrider cup addition was sweet, especially for everyone getting to see top level players face off), if they are thought of.

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

Trophies, poker chips, AIs, mugs, etc. are way cooler than cash.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Meto wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 12:23 pm
Trophies, poker chips, AIs, mugs, etc. are way cooler than cash.
Agreed.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

Return to “2021 Online Championship Series”