2021 Corellia (Midwest) League

ashnolo
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: ashnolo

2021 Corellia (Midwest) League

Post by ashnolo »

OH, MI, Western PA, KY, and IN players! Corellia League is looking for you!

(see my March 1st reply below for a status update)

League play this year will be online via GEMP (see the 2021 League Guidelines link below for details).

If you are interested in participating please let us know! Times, formats, etc will be worked out as we see what interest exists. This league will be New And Returning Player (NARP) friendly as most of us are new and returning players anyways :)

We will hold 6 events from March to October!

First thoughts: most or all events will probably be "put up random tables when you are available" (OCS Style) or "schedule your game with your opponent at a time convenient for the both of you" - or a mix of both, so please don't think you need to pass on the league due to work/family life schedules. We also have the option of doing "Saturday Blitzes" or such if the need/want warrants it.

The main goal right now is to see who is interested in participating! (we will take initial sign ups through Friday, March 5th)

Participants- (gemp name)

1. Chad Lawrence (ashnolo)
2. Kendall Halman (corran)
3. Brad Eier (KenobiSW) [PAID]
4. Tyler Butler (tylerjb) [PAID]
5. Matthew Ulmes (Chedda) [PAID]
6. Dan Tartaglione (DTartagOne)
7. Eric Hawbaker (EHawbaker)
8. Sqab
9. Bentley Boyd (chestercom) [PAID]
10. Samuel Boyd (SBB)
11. Steve Squirlock (squirlock) [PAID]
12. Brian West (Jaric256) [PAID]
13. Brian Fred (retwin316)

****************************************************************************************

Most of below is stolen from Yavin IV league, who stole it from Coruscant league post, so if you see anything that looks out of place, please let me know.

As the league organizer, I will do my best to be open to any/all feedback and adapt the league and its events to keep as many people engaged and happy as possible. Don't hesitate to reach out.

I strongly suggest everyone subscribes to this thread to stay informed on League news.
(above this post next to "Post Reply" click the "wrench" icon, then "Subscribe Topic")

Link to 2021 League Guidelines: viewtopic.php?f=659&t=77075#p1327034

Details-
Prizes- Utilizing the 2021 League Kit - see below:
Spoiler
Show
Contents of the 2021 League Kits are:
PARTICIPATION SLIPS: 15 foil v-slips for each of the 6 events:
--EVENT 1: Seventh Sister
--EVENT 2: Qi'ra
--EVENT 3: Malachor: Sith Temple Upper Chamber
--EVENT 4: Fifth Brother
--EVENT 5: Han... Solo
--EVENT 6: Lord Sidious
BONUS SLIPS: 15 foil v-slips for one bonus card, distributed at league organizer's discretion:
--BONUS: Saw Guerra
RANDOM SLIPS: 6 foil v-slips given out randomly to one participant for each event:
--RANDOM: General Leia Organa WB AI
PERFECT ATTENDANCE: 10 "perfect attendance" foil v-slips, for those with perfect or most-frequent participation:
--PA: Rose Tico
EVENT WINNER SLIPS: 12 event winner foil v-slips:
--WINNER: Maul
--WINNER: General Leia Organa WB AI
T-SHIRT: 1 SWCCG t-shirt - awarded at league organizer's discretion:
--T-SHIRT: Moff Gideon
POKER CHIPS: 20 Poker Chips across colors (5x each), distributed at league organizers' discretion:
--CHIP 1: WHITE
--CHIP 2: BLUE
--CHIP 3: BLACK
--CHIP 4: RED
BOOSTER PACK: 1 PC Booster
--PACK: Unlimited Reflections IV Booster Pack
EXTRA FOIL V-SLIPS: At the discretion of the Mailing Team, any excess foil v-slip in the inventory were included for league organizers to distribute at their discretion.
VOUCHER: 1 Free Registration voucher to the league winner, which may be applied to any one major event - online or live - through calendar year 2022 (such event registrations have ranged from $25-$50 in recent years).
DIGITAL PRIZES: At the discretion of the Tournament Committee Leagues Administrator throughout the Leagues season, Gemp prizes such as digital gold, digital foil cards, digital packs and digital boxes may be awarded to reward and incentivize staying on pace for number of events.
# of Events- 6
Format- TBD
Style- TBD
Scoring- TBD
Cumulative Standings Format- 1st place in a 14-player event gets 14, 14th place gets 1, etc.
(Possible "final confrontation" of top cumulative points earners for league champion.)
Deck Changes- TBD

League Registration Fee- $5 flat fee via PayPal to jediosu@gmail.com whether you play in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, OR all 6 events.
This cost will go towards purchasing the League Kit ($60) and shipping prizes. If this is an issue simply PM me.

Events-

Event #1- TBD
Date(s)- TBD
Format- TBD
Style- TBD
Scoring- TBD
Participation Prize- Seventh Sister
Final Standings-

Event #2- TBD
Date(s)- TBD
Format- TBD
Style- TBD
Scoring- TBD
Participation Prize- Qi'ra
Final Standings-

Event #3- TBD
Date(s)- TBD
Format- TBD
Style- TBD
Scoring- TBD
Participation Prize- Malachor: Sith Temple Upper Chamber
Final Standings-

Event #4- TBD
Date(s)- TBD
Format- TBD
Style- TBD
Scoring- TBD
Participation Prize- Fifth Brother
Final Standings-

Event #5- TBD
Date(s)- TBD
Format- TBD
Style- TBD
Scoring- TBD
Participation Prize- Han... Solo
Final Standings-

Event #6- TBD
Date(s)- TBD
Format- TBD
Style- TBD
Scoring- TBD
Participation Prize- Lord Sidious
Final Standings-

Cumulative Standings-
Spoiler
Show
*Event win
Last edited by ashnolo on March 1st, 2021, 5:05 pm, edited 26 times in total.

GrayChevyVan
GEMP Username: EHawbaker

Re: 2021 Corellia (Midwest) League

Post by GrayChevyVan »

I'm on the very eastern edge of this territory. I'm in.

ashnolo
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by ashnolo »

GrayChevyVan wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 12:30 am
I'm on the very eastern edge of this territory. I'm in.
Awesome!

Batmouse
LS Region: Alderaan
LS Region: Alderaan
GEMP Username: batmouse

Post by Batmouse »

Following

And also so I can steal the information for my Socal league post
Proud owner of the alderaan regional trophy of 2009!
Proud WINNER of the Alderaan regional trophy 2017!
The Sheriff of Gemp
quesosauce37 wrote: all hail batmouse the vigilante!
imrahil327 wrote:Awww, it's Batmouse's and my first agreement on a sports topic. Image

Sqab
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by Sqab »

I'm in. It's been ages since I've played, so I don't expect to win, but I would like to give it a go. I'm for sure intimidated by learning GEMP, but I really should try it one of these days, no?

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Sqab wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 4:32 pm
I'm in. It's been ages since I've played, so I don't expect to win, but I would like to give it a go. I'm for sure intimidated by learning GEMP, but I really should try it one of these days, no?
Several of the participants are in a similar boat to you. And others(like me) are just not very good at Star Wars cards.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

ashnolo
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by ashnolo »

Sqab wrote:
Great to have you! Like Corran said, we've got varying levels of skill and GEMP experience so we'll get better and have fun in the process. Can I get your name and gemp name? Thanks!

GreedoJuice
Starter
Starter
GEMP Username: Chedda

Post by GreedoJuice »

Sqab wrote:
No worries, bro. I'm a returning player as well and am not very good. But the game is still fun for me and I hope to imporve by playing more. Just gotta get over the intimidation factor and play some games.
GEMP username: Chedda

squirlock
Starter
Starter

Post by squirlock »

You can also add me, Steve Squirlock (squirlock), and my buddy Brian West (Jaric256).

ashnolo
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by ashnolo »

squirlock wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 7:26 pm
You can also add me, Steve Squirlock (squirlock), and my buddy Brian West (Jaric256).
Welcome aboard!

ashnolo
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by ashnolo »

Hey gang, we will take initial sign ups through this week (people may still join throughout the season). I'll purchase the league kit from the PC Store this weekend, and we'll be underway!

(Please check that I have your name and gemp name on the first post spelled correctly)

The fee for the league will be $5, and you can paypal me at jediosu@gmail.com. If this is an issue, just pm me.

I'm thinking we run event 1 March 15 to April 30, open format, OCS/league style on gemp (put up blind tables and play at your convivence, can play someone 1 per side). This keeps event 1 simple and easy to get us rolling. Personally, I have no problem with "scheduling" games with a particular opponent, especially as we get started and get a feel for who's available when.

How many games would you like the event to be? 6? 8? more? less? Right now we have 13 participants and this event will be about 7 weeks to cover what we'll have left of March and include April so it's not a "short" month and still ends at end of month for easy remembering.

Let me know what other formats (jawa, Premiere to Death Star II, etc.) you'd like to play or event types you'd be interested in. I imagine we'll keep most events as open format and default league style on gemp, but we can do whatever we want.

I also want to create some "league's choice" awards, like "most improved player" and "most creative deckbuilder" that we'll vote on. If you have ideas for categories and awards post them!

Also, at any time if it looks like I'm missing something, I probably am, so please speak up. Thanks!

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

No strong preference on # of games or formats or anything, though perhaps 6 would be best and just keep it at that each month for consistency? I will play as many formats as possible, with preference to Jawa, P-DS2, and any sealed ones if people are interested.

Really supportive of the extra award ideas any anything that incentivizes playing more and trying new decks, especially perhaps over everyone playing tier 1 decks all the time

Thanks for organizing, payment sent

GreedoJuice
Starter
Starter
GEMP Username: Chedda

Post by GreedoJuice »

I'm down with 6 games per event, maybe 8 if the event is going on in one of the months the OCS isn't happening. I do prefer constructed events over sealed but if I'm in the minority of not wanting sealed I will still play it.

Will send the payment today. Thanks for creating the league!
GEMP username: Chedda

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Formats I like:
Open
Jawa
P-DSII
P-RII
Open(No Shields, No V Cards)

Event type:
First one being OCS style is good. Could we do a final confrontation? Or even a cut to top 4?
Down the line, I wouldn't mind trying to do match play or swiss.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Also, is it legal for me to stream my league games?

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

Corran wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 12:58 pm
I would be in favor of people being permitted to do this. Perhaps if we wanted we could get everyone to opt in or opt out of streaming for each event? I would consent to any of my games being streamed, but also think its fine if people want to opt out

ashnolo
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by ashnolo »

Corran wrote:
I think streaming your games would be fine. You still can't receive "outside help" during the game, but the way you prevent that is up to you. I see it as the same honor code that a non-streamer isn't receiving help, except you'll be exposed to everyone if you do lol.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

ashnolo wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 1:58 pm
Corran wrote:
I think streaming your games would be fine. You still can't receive "outside help" during the game, but the way you prevent that is up to you. I see it as the same honor code that a non-streamer isn't receiving help, except you'll be exposed to everyone if you do lol.
Sounds good. I can even place a delay on the feed so that chat can't give outside help.

How about that final confrontation though?

ashnolo
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by ashnolo »

Corran wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 2:01 pm

I think that sounds cool. Are you thinking the top 4 after the 6 events playoff for league champion?

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

ashnolo wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 2:06 pm
Corran wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 2:01 pm

I think that sounds cool. Are you thinking the top 4 after the 6 events playoff for league champion?
I think a top 4 after the 6 events makes sense.

The Final Confrontation I was suggesting was actually for each event. I'm just afraid that, with a relatively small group scheduling league games against each other, the standings might be a little warped and a Final Confrontation(Top 2 players play a match) might help with that.

Return to “Corellia League”