Hoth CRv

Post deck lists for discussion & review here.
Pantherpike
GEMP Username: Gladniator

Hoth CRv

Post by Pantherpike »

With the errata to Veers and the AT AT cannon puller I wanted to revisit an earlier deck I made for Hoth. Take a look and insight appreciated:

Starting
1x Hoth
1x Hoth: Ice Plains (5th Marker) (V)
1x Combat Readiness (V)
1x Knowledge And Defense (V)
1x Prepare For A Surface Attack (V)
1x You May Start Your Landing
1x Kuat Drive Yards (V)

1x Arica (V)
1x Dengar With Blaster Carbine (V)
1x 4-LOM With Concussion Rifle (V)
1x U-3PO (Yoo-Threepio)
1x Admiral Chiraneau
1x Admiral Ozzel
1x Commander Igar
1x Darth Vader With Lightsaber
1x Grand Admiral Thrawn
1x Grand Moff Tarkin (V)
1x Veers (V)

1x Dark Waters
1x Image Of The Dark Lord (V)
1x Imperial Decree
1x Lateral Damage

4x Death Squadron Assignment
2x Double Back (V)
1x Ghhhk & Those Rebels Won't Escape Us
2x Imperial Artillery
3x Imperial Command
1x Masterful Move & Endor Occupation
1x Sneak Attack (V)
2x Trample
2x Twi'lek Advisor
1x Walker Garrison

1x Fondor
1x Hoth: Defensive Perimeter (3rd Marker)
1x Hoth: Mountains (6th Marker)
1x Mustafar
1x Mustafar: Vader's Castle

1x Executor
1x Stalker (V)
1x Tyrant
1x Vengeance (V)

1x Blizzard 1
1x Blizzard 2 (V)
1x Blizzard 4
1x Blizzard Scout 1 (V)
1x Marquand In Blizzard 6
1x Tempest 1
1x Tempest Scout 6

2x AT-AT Cannon
1x Laser Cannon Battery

The obvious goal is to get a lot of activation out asap and Mustafar system/site, Defensive Perimeter and possibly an early Veers can get quite a bit by turn 2. Then dig for Imp Decree (even starting it over Prep for a Surface Attack against some decks like QMC) and get your damage going. Use Image and Dark Waters to slow down/limit opponents drains if they try to race. Get out Executor with Death Sq. and then either Ozzel or Marquand depending on the situation. You have 4 so you can usually get what you need by turn 2. Using the interrupts to dig through your deck and pull out the low destinies will help later in the match. 4-LOM helps with this as well which is the goal. High destiny end game.

Against TRM you don't deploy Def Perimeter and force them to deploy Battle Plains, then Image/Water it and let them stay there. Your damage will come from Walker pings and Chiraneau in space. If they deploy their limited space package use Stalker to eliminate it and then they are sitting on one battleground doing little to no damage and you use the shield to prevent them from draining at non-battlegrounds. IMHO if played by a decent player this should hurt TRM pretty badly...just don't give them a BG site.

I put Dengar in for No Idea decks or any decks with lots of scrubs. I wanted 4-LOM to get cards by recycling AT AT cannons if need by, but there are lots of "played out" high destiny interrupts for late game as well (Twilek Advisor, Death Sq.). Really needed 4-LOM so adding Dengar who is also pullable by Double Back is just a bonus. Trample also hurts scrub decks so try and force the opponents 'grabber' before using them with Artillery/Command.

Arica is there for OA and some other decks that don't deploy Luke or use Luke in space. Limiting their drain bonuses from Decree makes her +1 retrieval ok against some decks. In some matches she is forfeit fodder on a Star Destroyer.

Put Marquand at the Ice Plains with an AT AT cannon and he can hit everyone on Hoth (unless LS plays Hoth too) taking their ability and making them -2 power and forfeit. Put Dengar with him to fulfill 4 ability in case of spies and use Double Back to move him into a fight at the Mountains or Perimeter as a react, possibly catching the opponent off guard. Those 2 cards at Ice Plains can influence battles at 3 sites possibly.

Laser Cannon Battery and Masterful Move/Endor Occ are there for Diplo matches. Take out the Tantive and most Diplo space is gone. Still might be a hard matchup, but Trample my help in certain Diplo builds as well. Another trick is to hold off on the Ice Plains text until late game. Activate down to 1 card remaining, use it to place an Imp Artillery on the bottom and then Trample away. Make sure to do it at end of turn so the 7 is on top for next turn as well.

This is where my signature is supposed to be, but I can't get it to do cursive!

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Re: Hoth CRv

Post by rsersen »

Laser Cannon Battery and Masterful Move/Endor Occ are there for Diplo matches. Take out the Tantive and most Diplo space is gone.
Just keep in mind that once Bail is on the Tantive you won’t be able to shoot it. You either have to hit it very early, or have another strategy for getting them out of space.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

Pantherpike

Post by Pantherpike »

rsersen wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 3:08 pm
Laser Cannon Battery and Masterful Move/Endor Occ are there for Diplo matches. Take out the Tantive and most Diplo space is gone.
Just keep in mind that once Bail is on the Tantive you won’t be able to shoot it. You either have to hit it very early, or have another strategy for getting them out of space.
True, forgot about Bail (and I have a Diplo deck with him LOL) but I think Lat Damage works on Tantive correct? Might also want to see if I can squeeze in Vader's Custom TIE to cancel game texts against heavy space decks (Ackbar, etc.).

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Lateral Damage can work, although if they get Captain Raymus Antilles aboard he cancels it. Think most Diplo decks run him now, but may take longer for LS to get him than Bail.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

rsersen wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 4:54 pm
Lateral Damage can work, although if they get Captain Raymus Antilles aboard he cancels it. Think most Diplo decks run him now, but may take longer for LS to get him than Bail.
Antilles Maneuver can get him pretty easily.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

I personally feel like I’d want 1 or 2 more characters and 1 less vehicle. I’d have to play this deck some, or be better at this game, to give a valid reason why though.

I also feel like you really want a copy of Force Push (v) in this deck. If deck slots are super tight, I’d even consider it over the second copy of Twi’lek. While Twi’lek is always going to get you whatever effect you are looking for, there will be some cases where it isn’t doing much for you and what you really need is some other card.

I’m not 100 percent sold on the double backs (v) and 4-Lom (v). I get why, but I’m not sure if that’s the best option or not. I don’t really know immediately what you run over that stuff though. Point Man (v), a 4 Imperial Command, and one of the good virtual Royal Guards? A second copy of Veers (v)? Ability x 3 (v)? Overwhelmed?

In general I think it looks good.

I wish Veers still pulled that effect so you could run Endor Shield (v). So Idk.

Thanks for posting and good luck with the deck!
Top Finishes:
-2018 Endor Grand Prix Team Tournament 2nd Place
-2012 SC States 2nd Place
-2011 Malastare Regionals 2nd Place
-2010 Malastare Regionals 3rd Place

Decipher ELO Ratings:
Highest: 1696
Final: 1656

OCS Records:
2020: 10-38
2019: 6-18

Scrabble: 1738 (354-207)

stubbly
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by stubbly »

DSA pulls PFSAv, if you wanted to start endor shield. Adds more variance though. And I like the verify PFSA gives you from the jump so you don’t waste a KDYv pull if you’ve activated Mustafar.

I’d like to see Hoth Cannons work. Instead of 4-Lom I might consider running a couple copies of Sneak Attack v. Tend to want to run either Vader Enforcer (cancel Chewie w Bowcaster game text) or DVDLOTS in my Hoth CRvs. Vader w stick is arguable what with the swing bonus at the marker bg though.

Point man is a reasonable add, because KYEO really hurts Cannon decks.

Pantherpike

Post by Pantherpike »

Yeah, thought about using DSA to pull PFSAv, but like you said I like the free "check" at the beginning of the game to see what is in my reserve. Against QMC I might start decree and try to pull it later with DSA though. With so many high destinies including some 7's that I might not even play (just keep them for the 1 Sneak Attackv I have or recycle them for battle destiny) I really like 4-LOMv in this deck. Between DSA pulling all (well, most) my space and 4-LOM recycling I can get what I need relatively quickly.

This deck is also tailored to find what it needs to beat certain decks. Diplo was the most troublesome Tier 1 matchup for this deck (IMO) so I recently made a few changes to it. Switched DV to the orginal Premier version and put in Vader's Custom TIEv and the Short Range Fighters combo. Getting him out and in his TIE is integral to beating Diplo I think. He'll cancel Bails text so I can blow the Tantive up. This also cancels Ackbar and Poe so that can be helpful in space. His +1 to each BD is pretty nice too when playing Imp Commands, Thrawn and Tarkin and if he is in his TIE and I have SRF combo that is total +7 BD (maneuver 6 and his +1). As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that I need to put a DS independent starship in to "cancel" LS Tantooine system text and Boba in Slave1v is going to end up taking a slot somehow since I can pull him.

The cannons are there mostly for Marquand and the free look/recycling which is why there is only 2 of them. Without Marquand they just hit and leave forfeit so they aren't that powerful. Many matches they won't play a role but I can put one down at Defensive Perimeter and ping with Artillery. I may try to find a slot for Point Manv too to cancel KYEOv (for space as well as ground). Need to re-look at what I have. With so much "anti-celebration" space I'll be adding I can probably switch the Master/Endo combo. Won't need to cancel it, I'll just beat them down in space.

Once I figure out the card I need to take out for Boba in Slave1 (MM/Endor will be replaced by PointMan) I'll update the original post...

Thanks for all the insight!

Return to “Deck Discussion”