HITCO and Twilight is Upon Me

Post deck lists for discussion & review here.
beebopbananas
GEMP Username: Beebop

HITCO and Twilight is Upon Me

Post by beebopbananas »

I was deck building some different versions of HITCO the other day and I started comparing both versions of Twilight is Upon me. In those moments it dawned on me that vanilla TIUM is pretty darn good now! Has anyone else noticed this?

First, Let's look at the pullable cards.

Anakin Skywalker V and The Force is Strong With This One V are so much better now and pack great offensive/defensive potential. Anakin Skywalker V provides some interesting strategic options which allows you to reliably pull your 2/2 site into hand and move Prophecy of the Force at anytime. For example: twice during a recent game, I was able to pull Anakin Skywalker V and move Prophecy to the DSII: Chasm before my control phase to set up a drain of 4 on turn 3 and 4. Later on, I used it in conjunction With TFISWTOv for 2 BDs and 1 AD in an important battle which site cleared my opponent. In Short, you don't have to rely on luck to get your 2/2, Prophecy is less of a liability, and you will always have two strong interrupts in hand for offense and defense.

Second, spend two force to cancel You are Beaten and Dark Jedi Presence. The former being popular in mains decks and the ladder a sneaky sleeper card; both can cause a big blowout if circumstances are right. This function was one of the better parts of the card but never was enough to justify running it because of how weak the rest of the text was...not anymore.

Third and most contentious, The activation path. Ok, so a little context before I dive into this point. When set 13 spoiler list dropped there was a lot of buzz surrounding the power of Anakin Skywalker V, TIUMv ability to pull both sites with no cost, and HITCO's ability to play both ep1 sites and the new sites to achieve a uber activation ratio. See below for original versions of said cards:
Spoiler
Show
•Twilight Is Upon Me (V)
[Death Star II - R]
LIGHT - EFFECT
Text: If He Is The Chosen One on table, deploy on table. While Luke with Prophecy Of The Force, your Force generation is +1 and opponent's is -1. Once during your turn, may /\ Yoda's Hut or a Death Star II site. [Immune to Alter.]
[Set 13]

•Anakin Skywalker (V)
[Death Star II - R]
LIGHT - INTERRUPT - USED OR LOST INTERRUPT
Text: USED: Relocate Prophecy Of The Force to a site. OR Cancel an Interrupt targeting Luke. LOST: If I Feel The Conflict on table during battle, place Luke's Lightsaber in Used Pile to choose: Add one destiny to attrition. OR Cancel the game text of a character of ability < 4.
[Set 13]
Tweaks:
Spoiler
Show
•Twilight Is Upon Me (V)
[Death Star II - R]
LIGHT - EFFECT
Text: If He Is The Chosen One on table, deploy on table. You may not deploy Ep1 sites. While Luke with Prophecy Of The Force, your Force generation is +1 and opponent's is -1. Once during your turn, may \/ Yoda's Hut [Immune to Alter.]
[Set 13]

•Anakin Skywalker (V)
[Death Star II - R]
LIGHT - INTERRUPT - USED OR LOST INTERRUPT
Text: If I Feel The Conflict on table: USED: /\ a Death Star II site OR Relocate Prophecy Of The Force to a site. LOST: during battle at a site, if Luke armed with DSII Luke's Lightsaber, choose: Add one destiny to attrition. OR Cancel the game text of a character of ability < 4.
[Set 13]
Obviously there were some changes made and here we are. The two big changes that are relevant to this discussion are: the DSII site pull was moved onto Anakin Skywalker V and you can not deploy ep1 sites as per TIUMv. IMHO these changes strengthen the case for TIUM. First, it does not prohibit you from deploying Ep1 sites. So you can run your Wesa and Boss Nass Chambers. Also if you wanted to start IMBATS to pull Lar's farm, you are able to deploy the ep1 version.
Second now that the DSII site pull is on Anakin Skywalker V you can now easily obtain your 2/2 on turn 0.

What I run at the moment is:
Aim High Combo w/ Docking bays +2
LMFBM+1
TIUM to pull/cycle Anakin Skywalker V +2
Wesa w/ Boss Nass Chamber,, +2
OG Yoda Master of the Force as an optional +1
Prophecy +1
Starting sites +4
Self +1

All said and done I'm looking at 14-4 ratio; pretty good. On the other hand, running TIUMv with a similar build, swap Wesa for Anakin Skywalker V, add Yoda's Hut, + generation modifiers that will net you a 15-3 ratio. So it seems TIUMv edges out an advantage in terms of activation. Is it enough to make a difference? You be the judge.

In conclusion, I think both cards are viable options. TIUMv is a thematic card that really helps fuel the activation engine of HITCO and frees up card slots for other cool stuff. On the other hand, TIUM offers a little less activation and lots of versatility. Prior to the changes to the above cards I would say TIUMv is the clear starter. However now, It is not so clear. IMHO, I feel TIUMv is very one dimensional when compared to the potential of TIUM. Thats why I favor starting TIUM because it provides me offensive and defensive tools, protects me against two big blowout cards, slightly expands deck building options, and nets me an acceptable activation ratio. So far, my game experiences have been pretty good and I look forward to playing more games to really test the build.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Tell me what do you think and comment as you see fit...

A-Always
B-Be
C-Cooking

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Re: HITCO and Twilight is Upon Me

Post by rsersen »

Good stuff. I did have a similar realization a couple days ago, but haven’t had a chance to really play around with it yet. But in theory it seems pretty good - guaranteed Anakin to relocate prophecy at the end of darks T1, then pull it again and pull your DS2 site before you activate. From there can keep pulling it (or TFISWTO, which seems pretty decent against Inquisitor decks), and just put it back with LMFBM for effectively another +1 generation.

On the other hand, the reliability of the Hut pull is better than hoping you get an early Wesa, plus not having to defend it from spies. And Anakin-v is a great enough card that you wanna run it in multiples anyway, for reasons besides just getting one in hand early for activation. In theory you could still do that with Twilight non-v, but harder pressed to make room for multiples of it alongside the Wesa/BNC package.

I also think there’s going to be a much larger uptick in YAB with Weapons Display gone, so having a built in canceller is nice. Do have to save 2 for it, but that seems fine - saving that can also double as a Clash bluff.

Ultimately I think Twilight-v will emerge/remain as the “best” build, but can easily see both being viable, which imo is really cool.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

chrknudsen2
GEMP Username: chrknudsen

Post by chrknudsen2 »

I feel like if you’re playing non-v Twilight, Anakin Skywalker (V) will just be even more of an insta-grab, and there goes the cycling of it.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

It already is insta-grab. Anakin Skywalker is the most OP card in v13.

The only problem with OP's proposal is deck slots. Now you're fitting in a bunch of Wesas and getting less consistency.

beebopbananas
GEMP Username: Beebop

Post by beebopbananas »

arebelspy wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 9:53 am

The only problem with OP's proposal is deck slots. Now you're fitting in a bunch of Wesas and getting less consistency.
Very true, the trade off is consistency and efficiency. Also its better to get your 2/0 out first and decide whether the 2/2 should be deployed.

TIUMv-->Yoda's Hut
Anakin Skywalker x2-3?---> DSII Site

TIUM--->Anakin Skywalker---> DSII Site
Wesa x3---> Boss Nass Site

Insta grab is a thing forsure, I like to run 2-3 copies of Anakin Skywalker. I treat it as if it was a leadership or command. I know its going to get grabbed but run multiple copies because it has good utility. The up side to this is that your other interrupts are safe from grabs (unless opponent is running multiple grabbers). Cards like Rescue in the Clouds, Jedi Lev, and Sense for example. Also you can cycle cards from lost pile like Sorry, Clash, and Houjix with Luke's Bionic Hand freely, abuse those to your hearts content. :-D

If you are interested below are two versions I have been playing around with. One is pretty close to stock standard HITCO with my own twist. The Other is teched for Shadow Collective and actually hold its own against mains pretty well.
Spoiler
Show
HITCO V.3.png
HITCO V.3.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 234 times
HITCO V.3.png
HITCO V.3.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 234 times
Spoiler
Show
HITCO V.2.png
HITCO V.2.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 234 times
HITCO V.2.png
HITCO V.2.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 234 times
A-Always
B-Be
C-Cooking

Jedicon
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Jedicon »

beebopbananas wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 1:38 am
arebelspy wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 9:53 am

Very true, the trade off is consistency and efficiency. Also its better to get your 2/0 out first and decide whether the 2/2 should be deployed.

TIUMv-->Yoda's Hut
Anakin Skywalker x2-3?---> DSII Site

TIUM--->Anakin Skywalker---> DSII Site
Wesa x3---> Boss Nass Site

Insta grab is a thing forsure, I like to run 2-3 copies of Anakin Skywalker. I treat it as if it was a leadership or command. I know its going to get grabbed but run multiple copies because it has good utility. The up side to this is that your other interrupts are safe from grabs (unless opponent is running multiple grabbers). Cards like Rescue in the Clouds, Jedi Lev, and Sense for example. Also you can cycle cards from lost pile like Sorry, Clash, and Houjix with Luke's Bionic Hand freely, abuse those to your hearts content. :-D

If you are interested below are two versions I have been playing around with. One is pretty close to stock standard HITCO with my own twist. The Other is teched for Shadow Collective and actually hold its own against mains pretty well.
Spoiler
Show
HITCO V.3.png
Spoiler
Show
HITCO V.2.png
Multiple grabbers. This is the way.

Rambows
Starter
Starter

Post by Rambows »

Question that I have is Anakin Skywalker (v) worthy enough of an addition to TIGIH builds? I expect many players leaning towards the new HD decks for the DS. It seems to hang pretty well with HITCO. Having Luke captured by Vader seems to make this card unworthy for a slot or two. I could be wrong though?

Return to “Deck Discussion”