Flagship operations

Post deck lists for discussion & review here.
erlick
Starter
Starter

Flagship operations

Post by erlick »

Anyone ever get a deck going with this? Was thinking run Hunt down to get two sites out right away, but is there any functional deck that uses this card?

tomtom
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: tom

Re: Flagship operations

Post by tomtom »

That really, really depends on your definition of functional..
I AM THE "GEMP WARRIOR!"

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

I've been experimenting with it as my first deck build and ran a couple different variations in only three or four GEMP games. The first deck used interceptors and did not use Hunt Down. I was only able to actually deploy FO once right at the end of the game and I basically did it just to do it before I got killed. The second deck used bombers and Hunt Down, but I am very inexperienced so with Visage of the Emperor (and a whole bunch of other mistakes) I basically killed myself in that game. For some reason I really want to get FO to work so I am motivated, but it has some problems:
-Either takes too long to get five locations with Gherant (and Imperial Arrest Order), or is too complex (for me) with Hunt Down
-It will payoff best with a deck full of TIEs, leaving not a lot of room to fight on the ground
-Defending Executor sites from spies
-If you pull it off, you have a deck full of cheap, high destiny ties. Now what? How do you make it easily pay off in a meaningful way?

Basically the cost to benefit ratio on this is just too high, at least for someone at my level (also hobbled by my own self-imposed Premier-RefII format restriction).

Berm
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Berm »

Commander Brandei (v) - he pulls ***Star Destroyer Launch Bay once per turn - so that's 3 of your sites. Executor docking bay is the 4th.
Commander Gherant - during deploy phase use 2 force to take an executor site into hand
Admiral Piett can take one of either Brandei or gherant into hand.

You could build something not using huntdown with either of those guys (or build using huntdown still).
Something like Endor Ops to use Endor Shield could get piett and commander to sites quickly to set up.

The problem with such a deck is as follows:
You need 5 executor sites out (takes time)
You need executor out (ship + fondor is likeliest route) which requires a system & executor puller.
The benefits of Flagship Operations is either abusing the destiny +2 ties, which means floating a bunch of high destiny ties that are otherwise relatively worthless, or trying to utilize the deploy/forfeit benefit of star destroyers & ties which puts even more cards on table.

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

Star Destroyer Launch Bay doesn't count for Flagship Ops, unfortunately.

I was starting Fondor and using Mobilization Points to pull Executor and depending on what the other guy played for locations, I could get Flagship Executor out on turn two (but dangerously unprotected).

Tie interceptors are pretty decent with the destiny boost and with the (high destiny) 9.3 cannon, you can take out some pretty powerful ships

TIE Assault Squadron supposedly turns to a destiny of 9 (not sure if this works on GEMP). You can fill a deck with these and put them back in your deck with reactor terminal or something.

Tie Bombers with Planetary Subjugation will pull a destiny of 7 with FO

I might try making one that uses swarms of TIE scouts just to see how that works out also

chrknudsen
GEMP Username: chrknudsen

Post by chrknudsen »

DS-61-4 wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 11:52 am
Star Destroyer Launch Bay doesn't count for Flagship Ops, unfortunately.
I'm not sure that's true.

EDIT:

I guess it is: viewtopic.php?p=1050490#p1050490

I could've sworn that I'd seen this working on GEMP.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Use Endor Ops. Start mob points and IAO, use the bunker to pull endor shield. Executor Docking bay -> Piett -> Gherant

That should be your shell. Slow is hell though

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

It was earlier (before set 6 I think?) where there was a flagship ops deck contest. Can anyone dig that up? I had trouble finding it and gave up after a while.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

fungineer wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 10:49 pm
It was earlier (before set 6 I think?) where there was a flagship ops deck contest. Can anyone dig that up? I had trouble finding it and gave up after a while.
Same, I think it was before we turned purging off, and I wasn't saving it.

Therion
DS Region: Bespin
DS Region: Bespin

Post by Therion »

seitaer wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 11:08 pm
fungineer wrote:
Same, I think it was before we turned purging off, and I wasn't saving it.
I remember that, there was a pretty sick mission that functioned as a pseudo-objective around Flagship Operations that spurred the contest. My favorite deck from that was a Hunt Down that used Sienar Fleet Systems with the Death Star Assault Squadron for a recurring retrieval method (albeit an expensive one).

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

I’d be curious if making an effect or a Commander (v), Admiral Piett could pull, could make this deck viable. I think having to have said character at an executor site, and only able to pull one site a turn isn’t crazy good...maybe it is though.

Right now, with the current card pool, I just don’t think this is good enough of a deck. I think you could have a player like Eric ‘Wokling’ Hunter probably go 1-3 or 2-2 at Worlds with the deck of he really wanted to optimize this, but that’s probably the best we can do at this time. And that’s not a knock against Eric, more against FLOPs which I don’t think is there yet as a deck.

Pre-reset, Throdo and Agnos tinkered around with this deck a lot and could never get it to be much more than a joke. They’re both very solid players when they’re on their game.

Probably the best way to get this done quick would be to run multiple Force Push (v), Double Back (v), and ECC 4-Lom (v). You obviously start HD as well. If you did something silly like run 4 double backs and 3 Force Push (v), you can probably get the two sites you can’t pull pretty quickly in a good chunk of your games. I think you start 3 effects and use a docking bay pulled as one of them. KDYv makes too much sense not to be the second effect, and then the third can be a lot of different things, depending on what you want to do. The docking bay pulled is key, since you want to track when your sites are in reserve or your force pile. Beyond that, idk. Good luck!!!
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

the only good bonus from Flagship Ops is getting TIE destiny +2 so your squadrons are destiny 9. it's just easier to do that with Invasion and An Entire Legion of my Best Troops getting battle droid blasters up to 8 (and Aurra Sing's blaster to 9). and that deck can actually win games.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

fungineer wrote:
My entry for that Deckbuilding contest. Ended 2nd place 8> (Deep Space Nines was 1st, using destiny 9 squadrons) My deck: returning DSAS back to hand with HD ftw! Keeping in mind that WHAP was strong in that meta, hence Naboo & Theed db on the list.
Spoiler
Show
December 2015 Deckbuilding contest: HD (non)FlipFlops!

1. Knowledge And Defense (v)
2. Hunt Down/flip
3. Executor: Holotheatre
4. Executor: Meditation Chamber
5. Visage Of The Emperor
6. Prepared Defenses
7. You Cannot Hide Forever & Mobilisation Points
8. Imperial Arrest Order
9. Endor Shield (V)

10. Wakeelmui
11. Tatooine (Ep I)
12. Naboo (vs WHAP)
13. Executor: Docking Bay
14. Executor: Main Corridor
15. Executor: Comm Station
16. Naboo: Theed Palace Docking Bay (vs WHAP)

17. Admiral Piett
18. Commander Gherant
19. Grand Admiral Thrawn
20. Commander Merrejk
21. Captain Godherdt
22. 4LOM with Concussion Rifle (V)
23. 4LOM with Concussion Rifle (V)
24. R2-A5
25. Blizzard 4

26. Flagship Executor
27. Flagship Executor
28. Accuser
29. Dreadnaught-Class Heavy Cruiser
30. Dreadnaught-Class Heavy Cruiser
31. Dreadnaught-Class Heavy Cruiser
32. The Emperor’s Sword
33. The Emperor’s Sword
34. The Emperor’s Shield
35. The Emperor’s Shield
36. Death Star Assault Squadron
37. Death Star Assault Squadron
38. Colonel Jendon in Onyx 1
39. Onyx 2 (V)

40. Deflector Shield Generators (V)
41. Deflector Shield Generators (V)

42. Battle Deployment

43. Flagship Operations
44. Flagship Operations
45. Sienar Fleet Systems
46. Imperial Justice (V)
47. Imperial Decree (V)
48. Ng’ok War Beast

49. All Power To Weapons
50. All Power To Weapons
51. Unexpected Interruption
52. Unexpected Interruption
53. We Must Accelerate Our Plans
54. We Must Accelerate Our Plans
55. Force Push (V)
56. Force Push (V)
57. I Can’t Shake Him (V)
58. I Can’t Shake Him (V)
59. Tarkin’s Orders
60. You Overestimate Their Chances

Introduction
Flagship Operations, the card that requires you to put 5 non-battleground sites on table before it actually does something for you. This requirement causes the deck to have a slow start, which means the deck should be able to make up for that somewhere mid to late game. Also, there’s only one card in the game that directly pulls those Executor sites for you: Commander Gherant. He, in turn, is pulled by Admiral Piett, so that’s already 7 cards that are required besides Executor and Flagship Executor. To avoid spending the first 5 turns on pulling sites, I chose to use Hunt Down as my platform for this deck. Obviously, this deck will not be even close to a traditional Hunt Down deck, and I got the idea a few years back when playing against an early version of (Legacy) TIE Clouds: it used Hunt Down as an activation platform and negated the 1 Force loss from Visage with Sienar Fleet Systems on Wakeelmui. I decided to us that approach to Hunt Down for this deck as well. Besides the fact that any retrieval is welcome especially for a DS deck, it also helps if you lose a key card (and this deck has a lot of key cards!) early in the game: just deploy a TIE squadron to retrieve it easily.

Furthermore, the deck requires many cards to work properly, and I used interrupts to get the cards you need: 2 WMAOP for Effects, 2 Force Push v to fish a key card from force pile, and 2x 4-Lom for cycling your deck. Instead of adding 3 or more copies of a specific interrupt, I included 2 Unexpected Interruption to get the interrupt you need at that moment. Although UO is a lost interrupt, I like to have this flexibility since you require different interrupts in different stages of the game. If you play Unexpected Interruption before deploying a TIE (even to the Exec DB if you need to), you get UI back in your deck with SFS and then “4 Lom”-it back into hand to re-use next turn.

So, Flagship Operations rewards you for playing TIEs in combination with Capitals, and the most card efficient versions of TIEs are the DS II squadrons and the virtual Onyxes. Flops makes their destiny +2 so your average destiny goes up once Flops is deployed. Dreadnaughts are the cheapest capitals that works with TIEs (Vengeance is good as well but too expensive) and Battle Order is the AO that rewards Capitals and starfighters, plus it allows you to deploy combat vehicles and limits opponent’s battle destiny at sites reated to a system you control. That was the basis for this deck, and this is how it should work:

Early game
Before activating, use YCHF & Mobilization Point to pull Wakeelmui and Sienar Fleet Systems. That’s right, you’re not using this card to pull Flagship Executor and/or Flagship Operations (unless you have YCHF Combo or SFS in your opening hand of course). You only need the Flagship and FLOps in turn 3 (perhaps turn 2), so you can afford to keep them in your deck for now. Also, there are 2 copies of each in the deck, as well as 2 WMAOP’s, 2 Force Push (v) and 2 Unexpected Interruption to get Flagship and FLOps. Because this deck is not focused on flipping Hunt Down, you want to have your retrieval with SFS secured asap before going for FLOps. In the next two turns you can pull/dig/draw for Executor and Flops. Try to get the systems out too, by deploying Merrejk using the 2 copies of I Can’t Shake Him (and Unexpected Interruption to pull the interrupt) and Blizzard 4 (to the Exec DB, then move Merrejk to the bridge).

Also pull your two admirals, and activate 4+ force. Deploy Wakeelmui and SFS. A nice side effect of using Hunt Down is that it somewhat protects SFS from being altered. Proceed and deploy the Exec: DB with IAO and if Gherant is in reserve, and if your opponent gave at least 1 icon, deploy Piett for 2 Force to the Executor, pull Gherant and deploy him there too. If your opponent gave 3 icons instead, deploy another Exec site with Gherant. With 7 locations in your deck (besides the locations you start with HD), you should have at least 1 location in hand as well, deploy that too.

Turn 2 should be about locating the remaining Exec sites, Executor itself and Flops. Begin building your hand with 4Lom to get a squadron and a capital, get a system out, and save some force to deploy the Executor. If you have to lose force, lose doubles from hand whenever possible to retrieve next turn when you deploy a squadron.

Mid game
At the beginning of turn 3 you should have 4 or 5 Executor sites, Theed DB and 1 or 2 systems on table, as well as have Executor and Flops in hand. You should generate 9-12 Force off your own icons and give up only 1-3 icons. Deploy the 5th Exec site, deploy Flagship Executor and Flops. If for any reason you can’t find Executor, you can deploy Flops on Accuser as well and HD will keep it relatively safe from being Altered (Sense and Alter destinies are +4, and if you flip they are cancelled all together).

See if you can spread out with Dreadnaughts as long as you have some reacting TIEs or Accuser in hand. Deflector Shield Generators, Godherdt, and Tarkin’s Orders should help you vs Landing Claw, nasty LS interrupts and it will give your Dreadnaughts some extra power and armor as well as immunity. Save force to deploy a reacting TIE (squadron) and to retrieve force too.

End game
The idea is to fight in space, using your squadrons to retrieve force, forfeit them and to retrieve them again with SFS. Your Dreadnaughts give extra power to the TIEs and deploy cheap to locations with a TIE because of Flops, and Flops makes the Ties/squadrons cheap with higher forfeit. Add APTW for extra power and immunity. You should be able to drain for 3-4 in space and retrieve 3-6 force per turn by deploying TIEs (try to keep retrieving TIE squadrons to rinse and repeat). Also, you can take the Death Star Assault Squadron back into hand with the 0-side of HD because it contains Vader, and then re-deploy next turn to retrieve again. You will probably be behind in Life Force in the early- and mid-game, and now is the time to retrieve lots of cards with these 6 squadrons (retrieve 3 force for each) and the Onyx pair in your deck; the TIEs are cheap so you should be able to pay for Aim High). If necessary, deploy Blizzard 4 or land a squadron to Theed DB (keep in mind that TIEs can only go to DBs, not to other sites) to satisfy Battle Plorder; the squadrons serve as forfeit fodder and Blizzard 4 can draw BD by itself plus you get a +1 to total BD due to Flops if you have a TIE there. Try to clear your opponent from Space. Use R2-A5 to get insane amounts of attrition (+1 for each piloted TIE, so each squadron adds 3, and you have lots of TIEs). If you face X-Wing Cannons, get Ng’ok War Beast to keep your squadrons on table during the power segment of the battle (after the errata!). It won’t be easy, but with proper force management, you should be able to last long enough to squeeze out a win.

Specific cards
- No Fondor? I only included Tatooine and Naboo for the matchup vs WYS/DMTA/WHAP so that I can cycle Tarkin’s Orders to cancel Force Drains. Also, Naboo is drain 2 system. Furthermore, Battle Order prevents opponent to draw more than 1 destiny at related sites, so Tatooine and Naboo fit better than Fondor. I would sooner add Endor vs TIGIH for the synergy all game rather than Fondor for the deploy -5 in only one turn. The drawback of Endor of course, is that if your opponent plays Strike Planning, you don’t generate force at Endor.
- You Overestimate Their Chances: with all the reacting TIEs, All Power To Weapons and Accuser (deploys for 2 when deploying as react to a location where your have a TIE and Flops on table), you could easily get a power swing of 4-5, which becomes 12-15 with this card, and that could be the difference between winning and losing the game.
- Theed DB: if you play against WHAP put it between their sites. If LS plays heavy space with no jedi or luke on the ground, deploy the Death Star Assault Squadron there to flip: Vader is at a BG site (confirmed by Gergall btw)
- No Blockade: Flagship Bridge to combine with the two WMAOPs? With 5 Exec sites, I really do not need another non-BG to pull.
- The Emperor’s Shield and The Emperor’s Sword: cheap reacting squadrons (Shield is even free to deploy to Thrawn’s location with Flops) with forfeit 12 thanks to Flops. Allows you to retrieve 3 with SFS. Ideally you should retrieve another squadron in lost pile when deploying this, then forfeit this one and in the meantime use 4Lom to get the retrieved squadron into hand, deploy that in order to retrieve the squadron you forfeited earlier.
- Onyx 2 (V): combines with Onyx 1, deploys as a react or gets you extra defensive shields.
- Death Star Assault Squadron?! Best version of Vader to play in this deck it deploys -3 and is forfeit +6 due to Flops, allows you to retrieve 3 with SFS, can add 3 attrition with R2-A5, and against a LS space deck it allows you to flip with Theed DB, then move the squadron to Naboo. And your force generation at Holotheatre is +1. On top of all that, you can use the 0-side of HD to take the DSAS back into hand during move phase, redeploy next turn and so keep retrieving with SFS (!)(confirmed by Gergall btw). Best. Vader. Ever. Forthisdeckatleast.
- No Ghhhk? It is a risk not to have a Ghhhk, but with all the high forfeit cards in space, I should be able to cover battle damage by forfeiting only 1 or 2 cards. If they come at Piett and Gherant early, Piett should be able to cover the BD with forfeit alone. Since you do not give away many icons, LS shouldn’t be able to give you a big beatdown in their turn 1 or 2. After that, your characters should be safely at the conceptual bridge of Executor.
- No Undercover spies? Undercover spies are vulnerable to Sorry About The Mess or Corran Horn, so they probably work only for 2 or 3 turns. I’d rather have another squadron to retrieve the lost force than to have to dig for an UC spy.
- No Image Of The Dark Lord v? I use Tarkin’s Orders to cancel Force Drains and one of the few decks that do not allow me to cancel drains, is QMC and Image doesn’t work at mobile sites. Same as with UC spies, I’d rather have an extra squadron for retrieval than the reduction of a force drain by 1. Also, you probably occupy three battlegrounds, so Resistance already caps the force drains at 2.

Match-ups
- TRM will pull the shield before you can use YCHF Combo. “Luckily”, this is a slow deck and it should be able to get a TIE to a system by turn 2 or 3. Depending on the board status, you should proceed by pulling Flagship and FLops directly instead of Wakeelmui and SFS (use Force Push and WMAOP for Wakeelmui and SFS) because Flops will give you the edge in space in this match up. Their Sense and Alter are nerved due to Hunt Down’s text. Use Naboo and Tarkin’s Orders to keep canceling their drain at the Battle Plains. If he cancels Visage early game with Corran: rejoice! now you don’t lose force to Visage anymore (your opponent wouldn’t know that you don’t intend to flip) and he stranded a character on your Executor.
- WYS: convert their Tatooine, slowly clear the system with power and attrition (R2-A5 will help!) and keep battling to deploy and retrieve those TIEs. If the deck can’t battle, you will run out of TIEs to deploy in the end and then you can’t retrieve anymore. You should find a balance between deploying and retrieving TIEs, and use 4Lom to get the retrieved TIEs back into hand. The flipside of WYS limits you force generation at non-BGs to 1, but most of your non-BGs only generate 1 except Meditation Chamber, so that shouldn’t harm you a lot.
- DMTA: same as WYS; take over Tatooine and try to flip them back. They retrieve a lot, but you should retrieve more. In space you should use R2-A5 to crack immunity and force them to forfeit. They will limit your BDs with Evac Control and loop rebels with Toryn Farr, but that doesn’t stop R2-A5. Once you control space, they flip back and you should be able to drain them out.
- WHAP: Put the Theed DB between their sites, maybe even go there with Blizzard 4. Get Naboo and use Tarkin’s Orders to cancel one big drain. Imperial Decree (V) will reduce ping damage, while you can drain in space and retrieve with the TIEs.
- EBO: take over the Hoth System with Executor, TIEs and R2-A5. Use Imperial Justice (V) to prevent them from adding BD in space. Do not go to the 4th marker (Blizzard 4 is no match for Comm Luke and Wedge RSL in speeders), but go to Naboo DB instead if you want to occupy a BG site. However, if you do go to the Hoth sites in the end, remember that you get power +1 for each starship at the system if you control (same goes for Tatooine and Naboo). With 2 squadrons and a capital at the system, that is +7 power at each site!
- RST: they will probably deploy Endor, Ackbar (V) and Home 1, so use R2-A5, a capital and two squadrons to crack its immunity, and use Imperial Justice (V) to limit their BD. Once RST is flipped, you can’t cancel their drains, so use Blizzard 4 to strike at their weak point.
- HB (quads or B-wings): use Godherdt and the Deflector Shield Generator to increase the armor of Executor at one location and hit and run at other locations with TIEs and Dreadnaughts, all the while retrieving. Tarkin’s Orders cancels a bunch of nasty interrupts such as Hyper Escape. I Can’t Shake Him helps against starship weapons. Flip with DS Assault Squadron to Theed DB, and then fly to Naboo. Lure them into initiating battle, play Overestimate Their Chances, react with Accuser, TIEs, APTW and win the game. Or find their hidden base and place HB out of play.
- WHT: Go to Tatooine, cancel the big drain with Tarkin’s Orders and see if you can strike with Blizzard 4. If you should stack cards, try to stack from hand since you can’t retrieve these cards, and you cannot afford to topdeck an important card and being unable to get it back.
- TIGIH: Capture Luke with an imperial and DB transit to Executor, Imperial Decree (V) will reduce the ping damage to 1. Control Naboo system, do not deploy Theed DB, and cancel their drain at Battle Plains with Tarkin’s Orders.
- QMC: Take over Bespin with Executor, Squadrons and R2-A5, and cancel their Celebration. Imperial Justice will prevent multiple destiny draws (grab All Wings Combo, because cards like It Could Be Worse can be cancelled with Tarkin’s Orders too). Godherdt and Deflector Shield Generators v should give enough armor to Executor to be safe from weapons. Landing Claw, Combined Attack and Power Pivot will not help LS because of those same Deflector Shield Generators. Although they will have Pucumir to add to their uncancellable drains, they can’t retrieve with Celebration anymore and you should be able to outdamage/outretrieve them.
Gosse Z. - Seattle

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

gossuii wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 11:50 am
fungineer wrote:
My entry for that Deckbuilding contest. Ended 2nd place 8> (Deep Space Nines was 1st, using destiny 9 squadrons) My deck: returning DSAS back to hand with HD ftw! Keeping in mind that WHAP was strong in that meta, hence Naboo & Theed db on the list.
Spoiler
Show
December 2015 Deckbuilding contest: HD (non)FlipFlops!

1. Knowledge And Defense (v)
2. Hunt Down/flip
3. Executor: Holotheatre
4. Executor: Meditation Chamber
5. Visage Of The Emperor
6. Prepared Defenses
7. You Cannot Hide Forever & Mobilisation Points
8. Imperial Arrest Order
9. Endor Shield (V)

10. Wakeelmui
11. Tatooine (Ep I)
12. Naboo (vs WHAP)
13. Executor: Docking Bay
14. Executor: Main Corridor
15. Executor: Comm Station
16. Naboo: Theed Palace Docking Bay (vs WHAP)

17. Admiral Piett
18. Commander Gherant
19. Grand Admiral Thrawn
20. Commander Merrejk
21. Captain Godherdt
22. 4LOM with Concussion Rifle (V)
23. 4LOM with Concussion Rifle (V)
24. R2-A5
25. Blizzard 4

26. Flagship Executor
27. Flagship Executor
28. Accuser
29. Dreadnaught-Class Heavy Cruiser
30. Dreadnaught-Class Heavy Cruiser
31. Dreadnaught-Class Heavy Cruiser
32. The Emperor’s Sword
33. The Emperor’s Sword
34. The Emperor’s Shield
35. The Emperor’s Shield
36. Death Star Assault Squadron
37. Death Star Assault Squadron
38. Colonel Jendon in Onyx 1
39. Onyx 2 (V)

40. Deflector Shield Generators (V)
41. Deflector Shield Generators (V)

42. Battle Deployment

43. Flagship Operations
44. Flagship Operations
45. Sienar Fleet Systems
46. Imperial Justice (V)
47. Imperial Decree (V)
48. Ng’ok War Beast

49. All Power To Weapons
50. All Power To Weapons
51. Unexpected Interruption
52. Unexpected Interruption
53. We Must Accelerate Our Plans
54. We Must Accelerate Our Plans
55. Force Push (V)
56. Force Push (V)
57. I Can’t Shake Him (V)
58. I Can’t Shake Him (V)
59. Tarkin’s Orders
60. You Overestimate Their Chances

Introduction
Flagship Operations, the card that requires you to put 5 non-battleground sites on table before it actually does something for you. This requirement causes the deck to have a slow start, which means the deck should be able to make up for that somewhere mid to late game. Also, there’s only one card in the game that directly pulls those Executor sites for you: Commander Gherant. He, in turn, is pulled by Admiral Piett, so that’s already 7 cards that are required besides Executor and Flagship Executor. To avoid spending the first 5 turns on pulling sites, I chose to use Hunt Down as my platform for this deck. Obviously, this deck will not be even close to a traditional Hunt Down deck, and I got the idea a few years back when playing against an early version of (Legacy) TIE Clouds: it used Hunt Down as an activation platform and negated the 1 Force loss from Visage with Sienar Fleet Systems on Wakeelmui. I decided to us that approach to Hunt Down for this deck as well. Besides the fact that any retrieval is welcome especially for a DS deck, it also helps if you lose a key card (and this deck has a lot of key cards!) early in the game: just deploy a TIE squadron to retrieve it easily.

Furthermore, the deck requires many cards to work properly, and I used interrupts to get the cards you need: 2 WMAOP for Effects, 2 Force Push v to fish a key card from force pile, and 2x 4-Lom for cycling your deck. Instead of adding 3 or more copies of a specific interrupt, I included 2 Unexpected Interruption to get the interrupt you need at that moment. Although UO is a lost interrupt, I like to have this flexibility since you require different interrupts in different stages of the game. If you play Unexpected Interruption before deploying a TIE (even to the Exec DB if you need to), you get UI back in your deck with SFS and then “4 Lom”-it back into hand to re-use next turn.

So, Flagship Operations rewards you for playing TIEs in combination with Capitals, and the most card efficient versions of TIEs are the DS II squadrons and the virtual Onyxes. Flops makes their destiny +2 so your average destiny goes up once Flops is deployed. Dreadnaughts are the cheapest capitals that works with TIEs (Vengeance is good as well but too expensive) and Battle Order is the AO that rewards Capitals and starfighters, plus it allows you to deploy combat vehicles and limits opponent’s battle destiny at sites reated to a system you control. That was the basis for this deck, and this is how it should work:

Early game
Before activating, use YCHF & Mobilization Point to pull Wakeelmui and Sienar Fleet Systems. That’s right, you’re not using this card to pull Flagship Executor and/or Flagship Operations (unless you have YCHF Combo or SFS in your opening hand of course). You only need the Flagship and FLOps in turn 3 (perhaps turn 2), so you can afford to keep them in your deck for now. Also, there are 2 copies of each in the deck, as well as 2 WMAOP’s, 2 Force Push (v) and 2 Unexpected Interruption to get Flagship and FLOps. Because this deck is not focused on flipping Hunt Down, you want to have your retrieval with SFS secured asap before going for FLOps. In the next two turns you can pull/dig/draw for Executor and Flops. Try to get the systems out too, by deploying Merrejk using the 2 copies of I Can’t Shake Him (and Unexpected Interruption to pull the interrupt) and Blizzard 4 (to the Exec DB, then move Merrejk to the bridge).

Also pull your two admirals, and activate 4+ force. Deploy Wakeelmui and SFS. A nice side effect of using Hunt Down is that it somewhat protects SFS from being altered. Proceed and deploy the Exec: DB with IAO and if Gherant is in reserve, and if your opponent gave at least 1 icon, deploy Piett for 2 Force to the Executor, pull Gherant and deploy him there too. If your opponent gave 3 icons instead, deploy another Exec site with Gherant. With 7 locations in your deck (besides the locations you start with HD), you should have at least 1 location in hand as well, deploy that too.

Turn 2 should be about locating the remaining Exec sites, Executor itself and Flops. Begin building your hand with 4Lom to get a squadron and a capital, get a system out, and save some force to deploy the Executor. If you have to lose force, lose doubles from hand whenever possible to retrieve next turn when you deploy a squadron.

Mid game
At the beginning of turn 3 you should have 4 or 5 Executor sites, Theed DB and 1 or 2 systems on table, as well as have Executor and Flops in hand. You should generate 9-12 Force off your own icons and give up only 1-3 icons. Deploy the 5th Exec site, deploy Flagship Executor and Flops. If for any reason you can’t find Executor, you can deploy Flops on Accuser as well and HD will keep it relatively safe from being Altered (Sense and Alter destinies are +4, and if you flip they are cancelled all together).

See if you can spread out with Dreadnaughts as long as you have some reacting TIEs or Accuser in hand. Deflector Shield Generators, Godherdt, and Tarkin’s Orders should help you vs Landing Claw, nasty LS interrupts and it will give your Dreadnaughts some extra power and armor as well as immunity. Save force to deploy a reacting TIE (squadron) and to retrieve force too.

End game
The idea is to fight in space, using your squadrons to retrieve force, forfeit them and to retrieve them again with SFS. Your Dreadnaughts give extra power to the TIEs and deploy cheap to locations with a TIE because of Flops, and Flops makes the Ties/squadrons cheap with higher forfeit. Add APTW for extra power and immunity. You should be able to drain for 3-4 in space and retrieve 3-6 force per turn by deploying TIEs (try to keep retrieving TIE squadrons to rinse and repeat). Also, you can take the Death Star Assault Squadron back into hand with the 0-side of HD because it contains Vader, and then re-deploy next turn to retrieve again. You will probably be behind in Life Force in the early- and mid-game, and now is the time to retrieve lots of cards with these 6 squadrons (retrieve 3 force for each) and the Onyx pair in your deck; the TIEs are cheap so you should be able to pay for Aim High). If necessary, deploy Blizzard 4 or land a squadron to Theed DB (keep in mind that TIEs can only go to DBs, not to other sites) to satisfy Battle Plorder; the squadrons serve as forfeit fodder and Blizzard 4 can draw BD by itself plus you get a +1 to total BD due to Flops if you have a TIE there. Try to clear your opponent from Space. Use R2-A5 to get insane amounts of attrition (+1 for each piloted TIE, so each squadron adds 3, and you have lots of TIEs). If you face X-Wing Cannons, get Ng’ok War Beast to keep your squadrons on table during the power segment of the battle (after the errata!). It won’t be easy, but with proper force management, you should be able to last long enough to squeeze out a win.

Specific cards
- No Fondor? I only included Tatooine and Naboo for the matchup vs WYS/DMTA/WHAP so that I can cycle Tarkin’s Orders to cancel Force Drains. Also, Naboo is drain 2 system. Furthermore, Battle Order prevents opponent to draw more than 1 destiny at related sites, so Tatooine and Naboo fit better than Fondor. I would sooner add Endor vs TIGIH for the synergy all game rather than Fondor for the deploy -5 in only one turn. The drawback of Endor of course, is that if your opponent plays Strike Planning, you don’t generate force at Endor.
- You Overestimate Their Chances: with all the reacting TIEs, All Power To Weapons and Accuser (deploys for 2 when deploying as react to a location where your have a TIE and Flops on table), you could easily get a power swing of 4-5, which becomes 12-15 with this card, and that could be the difference between winning and losing the game.
- Theed DB: if you play against WHAP put it between their sites. If LS plays heavy space with no jedi or luke on the ground, deploy the Death Star Assault Squadron there to flip: Vader is at a BG site (confirmed by Gergall btw)
- No Blockade: Flagship Bridge to combine with the two WMAOPs? With 5 Exec sites, I really do not need another non-BG to pull.
- The Emperor’s Shield and The Emperor’s Sword: cheap reacting squadrons (Shield is even free to deploy to Thrawn’s location with Flops) with forfeit 12 thanks to Flops. Allows you to retrieve 3 with SFS. Ideally you should retrieve another squadron in lost pile when deploying this, then forfeit this one and in the meantime use 4Lom to get the retrieved squadron into hand, deploy that in order to retrieve the squadron you forfeited earlier.
- Onyx 2 (V): combines with Onyx 1, deploys as a react or gets you extra defensive shields.
- Death Star Assault Squadron?! Best version of Vader to play in this deck it deploys -3 and is forfeit +6 due to Flops, allows you to retrieve 3 with SFS, can add 3 attrition with R2-A5, and against a LS space deck it allows you to flip with Theed DB, then move the squadron to Naboo. And your force generation at Holotheatre is +1. On top of all that, you can use the 0-side of HD to take the DSAS back into hand during move phase, redeploy next turn and so keep retrieving with SFS (!)(confirmed by Gergall btw). Best. Vader. Ever. Forthisdeckatleast.
- No Ghhhk? It is a risk not to have a Ghhhk, but with all the high forfeit cards in space, I should be able to cover battle damage by forfeiting only 1 or 2 cards. If they come at Piett and Gherant early, Piett should be able to cover the BD with forfeit alone. Since you do not give away many icons, LS shouldn’t be able to give you a big beatdown in their turn 1 or 2. After that, your characters should be safely at the conceptual bridge of Executor.
- No Undercover spies? Undercover spies are vulnerable to Sorry About The Mess or Corran Horn, so they probably work only for 2 or 3 turns. I’d rather have another squadron to retrieve the lost force than to have to dig for an UC spy.
- No Image Of The Dark Lord v? I use Tarkin’s Orders to cancel Force Drains and one of the few decks that do not allow me to cancel drains, is QMC and Image doesn’t work at mobile sites. Same as with UC spies, I’d rather have an extra squadron for retrieval than the reduction of a force drain by 1. Also, you probably occupy three battlegrounds, so Resistance already caps the force drains at 2.

Match-ups
- TRM will pull the shield before you can use YCHF Combo. “Luckily”, this is a slow deck and it should be able to get a TIE to a system by turn 2 or 3. Depending on the board status, you should proceed by pulling Flagship and FLops directly instead of Wakeelmui and SFS (use Force Push and WMAOP for Wakeelmui and SFS) because Flops will give you the edge in space in this match up. Their Sense and Alter are nerved due to Hunt Down’s text. Use Naboo and Tarkin’s Orders to keep canceling their drain at the Battle Plains. If he cancels Visage early game with Corran: rejoice! now you don’t lose force to Visage anymore (your opponent wouldn’t know that you don’t intend to flip) and he stranded a character on your Executor.
- WYS: convert their Tatooine, slowly clear the system with power and attrition (R2-A5 will help!) and keep battling to deploy and retrieve those TIEs. If the deck can’t battle, you will run out of TIEs to deploy in the end and then you can’t retrieve anymore. You should find a balance between deploying and retrieving TIEs, and use 4Lom to get the retrieved TIEs back into hand. The flipside of WYS limits you force generation at non-BGs to 1, but most of your non-BGs only generate 1 except Meditation Chamber, so that shouldn’t harm you a lot.
- DMTA: same as WYS; take over Tatooine and try to flip them back. They retrieve a lot, but you should retrieve more. In space you should use R2-A5 to crack immunity and force them to forfeit. They will limit your BDs with Evac Control and loop rebels with Toryn Farr, but that doesn’t stop R2-A5. Once you control space, they flip back and you should be able to drain them out.
- WHAP: Put the Theed DB between their sites, maybe even go there with Blizzard 4. Get Naboo and use Tarkin’s Orders to cancel one big drain. Imperial Decree (V) will reduce ping damage, while you can drain in space and retrieve with the TIEs.
- EBO: take over the Hoth System with Executor, TIEs and R2-A5. Use Imperial Justice (V) to prevent them from adding BD in space. Do not go to the 4th marker (Blizzard 4 is no match for Comm Luke and Wedge RSL in speeders), but go to Naboo DB instead if you want to occupy a BG site. However, if you do go to the Hoth sites in the end, remember that you get power +1 for each starship at the system if you control (same goes for Tatooine and Naboo). With 2 squadrons and a capital at the system, that is +7 power at each site!
- RST: they will probably deploy Endor, Ackbar (V) and Home 1, so use R2-A5, a capital and two squadrons to crack its immunity, and use Imperial Justice (V) to limit their BD. Once RST is flipped, you can’t cancel their drains, so use Blizzard 4 to strike at their weak point.
- HB (quads or B-wings): use Godherdt and the Deflector Shield Generator to increase the armor of Executor at one location and hit and run at other locations with TIEs and Dreadnaughts, all the while retrieving. Tarkin’s Orders cancels a bunch of nasty interrupts such as Hyper Escape. I Can’t Shake Him helps against starship weapons. Flip with DS Assault Squadron to Theed DB, and then fly to Naboo. Lure them into initiating battle, play Overestimate Their Chances, react with Accuser, TIEs, APTW and win the game. Or find their hidden base and place HB out of play.
- WHT: Go to Tatooine, cancel the big drain with Tarkin’s Orders and see if you can strike with Blizzard 4. If you should stack cards, try to stack from hand since you can’t retrieve these cards, and you cannot afford to topdeck an important card and being unable to get it back.
- TIGIH: Capture Luke with an imperial and DB transit to Executor, Imperial Decree (V) will reduce the ping damage to 1. Control Naboo system, do not deploy Theed DB, and cancel their drain at Battle Plains with Tarkin’s Orders.
- QMC: Take over Bespin with Executor, Squadrons and R2-A5, and cancel their Celebration. Imperial Justice will prevent multiple destiny draws (grab All Wings Combo, because cards like It Could Be Worse can be cancelled with Tarkin’s Orders too). Godherdt and Deflector Shield Generators v should give enough armor to Executor to be safe from weapons. Landing Claw, Combined Attack and Power Pivot will not help LS because of those same Deflector Shield Generators. Although they will have Pucumir to add to their uncancellable drains, they can’t retrieve with Celebration anymore and you should be able to outdamage/outretrieve them.
cool stuff gosse, but you can't pull sienar with mob.point. I guess no reliable way to get seinar has always been the lynchpin of tie-swarms.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Post by Solidsnack3 »

yeah I wish there was a dark side version of 'how did we get into this mess' to make a deck like this as you could cycle through your reserve deck to get sites out with..... consistency???? Would make it a fun deck going through everything to get out sites and effects.
-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Solidsnack3 wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 4:04 pm
yeah I wish there was a dark side version of 'how did we get into this mess' to make a deck like this as you could cycle through your reserve deck to get sites out with..... consistency???? Would make it a fun deck going through everything to get out sites and effects.
Reactor Terminal May be your best bet.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Jedicon
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: jokerking

Post by Jedicon »

Solidsnack3 wrote:
That's what Gherant is for.

LS-15
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack
GEMP Username: LS-15

Post by LS-15 »

Setting up Flagship Executor is gonna be easier once set 13 comes out, you wouldn't need Fondor to make it cheaper

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Post by Solidsnack3 »

Gherant is once per turn, expensive, and is a bit of a liability with all the spies and r2s running around as is. He's certainly in the deck no matter how you spin it, however he is also only one piece of the puzzle. The deck needs something else to cycle through cards, pull your systems and effects. Yeah Merrjek and twi lek advisor could work for their respective pieces of the puzzle, but 'how did we get into this mess' allows you to go through your deck and have an opportunity to get all three types of cards you need.

The deck obviously needs better answers, hope it gets some soon as dark side imperial space could probably use a boost?
Jedicon wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 4:13 pm
Solidsnack3 wrote:
That's what Gherant is for.
-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Sense & Uncertain is a way for DS to cycle cards, but you'd want a way to get cards into hand first to maximize on the number of cards you recycle. TRV made use of this with Emp getting FL every turn and Crush getting 2 cards as well, so you have a net gain of 3 (4 uploaded, Sense Combo played from hand)
Gosse Z. - Seattle

Return to “Deck Discussion”