deck builder on Android

This section is for players to find PC resources for SWCCG, as well as to discuss Holotable, [sw-ip], vKit, and other offsite Player resources.
Post Reply
LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

I've been learning how to write Android apps this past week, and I'm working on a deck builder as a result. I have a few questions on what would be most useful for such a version.

Would you want the ability to see small and/or large card images?

What are the most important search criteria? Would non-essential search criteria be okay as a separate window ("advanced search" or such) from the main one for the times when you want to do a more detailed/obscure search?

With a limited screen size, what would you want to be able to access directly from the main "window"? Is it important to be able to read the card text on the main screen (requiring scrolling), or would you be okay with having to open & close a new window (the shows up on top of the main one) in order to see the card text?

Other thoughts?

Edited to make link to download easier to find:

http://www.holotable.com/download/downl ... d_beta.apk
Last edited by LtPage2 on August 9th, 2015, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.



AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate
Posts: 15934
Joined: December 4th, 2002, 4:03 pm

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by AnakinSolo »

LtPage2 wrote: What are the most important search criteria? Would non-essential search criteria be okay as a separate window ("advanced search" or such) from the main one for the times when you want to do a more detailed/obscure search?
Title, card type and set make up about 90% of mine. Not sure about others.
[/quote]
Not sure about the other questions
Well, Bye.

LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

Another question is (though it is a little late to be asking at this point) -- is this something that would be worthwhile? Would you use a mobile app to build decks while away from your desktop/laptop?

User avatar
quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
Posts: 25643
Joined: September 3rd, 2003, 5:10 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by quickdraw3457 »

LtPage2 wrote:Another question is (though it is a little late to be asking at this point) -- is this something that would be worthwhile? Would you use a mobile app to build decks while away from your desktop/laptop?
YES this would be amazing.

As to the other questions, I think I'd have to have an idea of the interface to say. I would probably want to search by card name, lore, game text, set, card type. I don't find the search functions on the holodeck program that search for destiny, power, ability, deploy, etc to be very useful.

I'd like to have large card images, even on a small screen. I'm used to reading the cards, so I prefer to read the actual image of the card as opposed to the card converted to text.

Advanced search is a good idea too, separate from main window.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last question in the OP, I'd have to really see it to know for sure.

If you're looking for beta testers, I'm on my android phone all the time :-D
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Image
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:As to the other questions, I think I'd have to have an idea of the interface to say. I would probably want to search by card name, lore, game text, set, card type. I don't find the search functions on the holodeck program that search for destiny, power, ability, deploy, etc to be very useful.
Do you not find them useful because they don't return reliable results, they are too difficult to use, or you just don't have a reason to search with those kinds of criteria? (Or something else.)
quickdraw3457 wrote:I'd like to have large card images, even on a small screen. I'm used to reading the cards, so I prefer to read the actual image of the card as opposed to the card converted to text.
So it would be good to have a way to cause the large image to pop up for a given card when it is selected in one of the lists?
quickdraw3457 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by the last question in the OP, I'd have to really see it to know for sure.
I'm basically trying to figure out how would be best to design the user interface. I'm not a smartphone user at all, so I have very little personal experience with how mobile apps are set up to work generally. Also I don't want to presume what is important to people when using a deck building app. If there's stuff that's not used much, it shouldn't clutter up the interface all the time.
quickdraw3457 wrote:If you're looking for beta testers, I'm on my android phone all the time :-D
When I get to some point where it makes sense, I'll definitely put something up for people to check out. Right now what I have is not a deck builder, it's a basic card search tool -- you can load the light or dark cards, then search by card name, gametext, set, and card type. Then you can see the complete card info in text form when you select one of the results. Which I suppose could be slightly useful for dealing with stuff in your head or when thinking about decks.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk
Posts: 4459
Joined: February 22nd, 2009, 1:58 am

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by Hayes »

Fwiw I love the advanced search functionality. I use polarhaven on my phone and miss not having those search criteria; I always have to wait till I'm at home to do more complex filtering.

Have you looked at any / many mtg deckbuilding apps? I don't know of any specifically, but it might worthwhile to see what the most popular ones do well and try to emulate them.

LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

Hayes wrote:Fwiw I love the advanced search functionality. I use polarhaven on my phone and miss not having those search criteria; I always have to wait till I'm at home to do more complex filtering.
Are those sufficient for the filtering you want to do? Or is there something additional/different that could be done that would be more useful? Would those be ok in a separate "dialog" that's not part of the main window?
Hayes wrote:Have you looked at any / many mtg deckbuilding apps? I don't know of any specifically, but it might worthwhile to see what the most popular ones do well and try to emulate them.
No. It's been a way long time since I saw a Magic card so I don't know how similar Magic's deckbuilding would be to SWCCG.

User avatar
quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
Posts: 25643
Joined: September 3rd, 2003, 5:10 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by quickdraw3457 »

LtPage2 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:As to the other questions, I think I'd have to have an idea of the interface to say. I would probably want to search by card name, lore, game text, set, card type. I don't find the search functions on the holodeck program that search for destiny, power, ability, deploy, etc to be very useful.
Do you not find them useful because they don't return reliable results, they are too difficult to use, or you just don't have a reason to search with those kinds of criteria? (Or something else.)
I think because I either already know the stats of most cards by memory, or it's just not the determining factor in looking for cards. If I'm building a deck I will often want to find cards that have "republic" in game text, or that have a certain characteristic. I usually don't say "let's look at all the cards that are destiny > 5 or power > 3." Although that can sometimes have uses, which would be nice as an advanced search. I also like to search for multiple criteria (all smugglers who are pilots, for instance), so that kind of functionality where you can search for multiple criteria like you can on holodeck is crucial.
quickdraw3457 wrote:I'd like to have large card images, even on a small screen. I'm used to reading the cards, so I prefer to read the actual image of the card as opposed to the card converted to text.
So it would be good to have a way to cause the large image to pop up for a given card when it is selected in one of the lists?
Yeah perhaps, like if you go to Polar Haven on an android and click a card, it is a pop up. Then when you hit the back button on android it closes the pop up and goes back to the last screen. Although polar haven's mobile site isn't a good example of how it should look in some other regards.
quickdraw3457 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by the last question in the OP, I'd have to really see it to know for sure.
I'm basically trying to figure out how would be best to design the user interface. I'm not a smartphone user at all, so I have very little personal experience with how mobile apps are set up to work generally. Also I don't want to presume what is important to people when using a deck building app. If there's stuff that's not used much, it shouldn't clutter up the interface all the time.
I think for me the important part about smart phone interface is efficiently using the screen. Don't have text too small, or only on one side of the screen. If you have to zoom in to read it, then you should at least be able to see other things at the same time (like about 10 cards in a list for example).
Right now what I have is not a deck builder, it's a basic card search tool -- you can load the light or dark cards, then search by card name, gametext, set, and card type. Then you can see the complete card info in text form when you select one of the results. Which I suppose could be slightly useful for dealing with stuff in your head or when thinking about decks.
This sounds pretty good, but as I mentioned I personally prefer the images.

I don't know how big the images would make the size of the app, so that could be a limiting factor. If they made it too big, i'd rather have the text only and offline functionality, although linking to images online (perhaps the hi-res images on the pc card list page) might be good too.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Image
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:I don't know how big the images would make the size of the app, so that could be a limiting factor. If they made it too big, i'd rather have the text only and offline functionality, although linking to images online (perhaps the hi-res images on the pc card list page) might be good too.
My intent would be to download images one at a time as needed and store them so they don't have to be downloaded again later. It would be silly to package all the images with the app, I think, as they are 200+ MB. Then maybe give the user a way to load the large image if possible, but if there's no connection, just show the text from the CDF. Then also a way to switch between image & text if the image has been downloaded.

Of course, things are a lot simpler to code without adding in network communication to the equation.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk
Posts: 4459
Joined: February 22nd, 2009, 1:58 am

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by Hayes »

practicality went out the window when you decided to write an app for SWCCG.

load all the images, all whopping 200mb. put a huge red disclaimer: DO NOT INSTALL THIS APP UNLESS YOU ARE ON WIFI IT IS 200MB

we will love you more for it

User avatar
quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
Posts: 25643
Joined: September 3rd, 2003, 5:10 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by quickdraw3457 »

If it's just 200-300mb total, I'd absolutely be willing to download that one time and store it on my phone. I'll delete my facebook app to fit it if I had to. I guessed the app would be over 1GB if it had all the images, but I am bad at estimating data and file size storage and stuff.

Your idea wouldn't be bad either, as it would be downloading them but just one at a time and as needed. But if eliminating the need for a network connection simplifies things, I think that Hayes' suggestion of just doing it all at once would be good too.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Image
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

User avatar
hyvee_doughboy
Member
Posts: 1634
Joined: September 13th, 2008, 8:44 pm
Location: Maple Grove, MN

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

LtPage2 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:I don't know how big the images would make the size of the app, so that could be a limiting factor. If they made it too big, i'd rather have the text only and offline functionality, although linking to images online (perhaps the hi-res images on the pc card list page) might be good too.
My intent would be to download images one at a time as needed and store them so they don't have to be downloaded again later. It would be silly to package all the images with the app, I think, as they are 200+ MB. Then maybe give the user a way to load the large image if possible, but if there's no connection, just show the text from the CDF. Then also a way to switch between image & text if the image has been downloaded.

Of course, things are a lot simpler to code without adding in network communication to the equation.
Android's WebView class makes it extremely easy to browse the internet (or in your case a gif on the internet). I think your idea of showing the image when online and the cdf if offline will be really easy to implement.
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

User avatar
gossuii
Member
Posts: 3694
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 11:10 am
Location: Seattle (formerly Amsterdam)
GEMP Username: gossuii

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by gossuii »

I don't have android, but I do have a few apps >1 gb on my iPhone. Most are apps for cooking with recipes and instructions films. Those apps usually offer the option of downLoading all content at once only if you're using wifi, downloading per category only if using wifi, or per separate film giving you the choice of downloading either with wifi or using your mobile network. Also, such apps have their settings standard on only downloading via wifi, and requires the user to expressly alter such settings.
Gosse Z. - Seattle (formerly Netherlands)
Image

Hobbie
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
Posts: 7155
Joined: February 19th, 2003, 3:16 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by Hobbie »

i dunno if i'd need the large image on this. seems like it would clutter the screen. If i can search gametext and lore for key words and sort by type that's good. I would also want to be able to read the entire gametext without scrolling. don't need to read the lore at the same time.
--Nate Davis
Image

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

hyvee_doughboy wrote:Android's WebView class makes it extremely easy to browse the internet (or in your case a gif on the internet). I think your idea of showing the image when online and the cdf if offline will be really easy to implement.
It did turn out to be really easy. I am using QML, so it wasn't WebView directly, but I'm guessing QML's Image element uses that behind the scenes when the image source is an HTTP URL. Right now I have a user option to load the large images from the web every time or just show the text from the CDF.

LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

I actually used my app while playing SWCCG with my son tonight. He's learning the game with the DSII starter decks and was trying to deploy Keir Santage via Squadron Assignments. Keir Santage doesn't say which X-Wing is his matching ship, so I looked up "keir" in gametext along with a card type filter of "Starship - Starfighter". Worked like a charm and returned Red Squadron 7 as the only result. I looked at the large image and verified it matched Keir.

Hobbie
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
Posts: 7155
Joined: February 19th, 2003, 3:16 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by Hobbie »

:thumbs:
--Nate Davis
Image

Recommended traders: Phil78, Hunter, sac89837, Avatari, biffpow, Atma, rYyIrisH, categoryonegames.com, DarkQug, yannedern, Tom Bombadil, Bryan-Irish
Aglets wrote:Hobbie's got it.
Kevbozzz wrote:What the hell is the "home page"? I don't see any sub-forum by that name.

User avatar
dorshe1
Member
Posts: 8422
Joined: June 13th, 2013, 3:57 pm
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by dorshe1 »

Once you have the decklist how do you export the info?

I'd prefer that it goes to both an .htd file (so I can put it in Holotable) and notepad.

Superawesome bonus would be for it to populate one of the official Star Wars CCG decklists :lol:

Thanks!
Image

LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

dorshe1 wrote:Once you have the decklist how do you export the info?

I'd prefer that it goes to both an .htd file (so I can put it in Holotable) and notepad.

Superawesome bonus would be for it to populate one of the official Star Wars CCG decklists :lol:

Thanks!
It will definitely do .htd, and a regular .txt file will be very easy to do after that. I have no plans to export PDFs, though...

LtPage2
Holotable
Holotable
Posts: 889
Joined: August 18th, 2003, 9:16 am
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: deck builder on Android

Post by LtPage2 »

I'm about ready for some beta testers. This is only going to have basic features, but it should be enough to effectively build some decks. If you're willing to try it out, post here and let me know what sort of Android device you have -- how many processors, amount of RAM, and screen size (in pixels). If you don't know all of that, give me what you do know and the model name.

I have building/testing on Android 4.2.2 on an old Samsung Infuse 4G (single CPU). I'm guessing most of you hip-to-technology people won't have a problem blowing that out of the water with your specs. I am not dead set on this version of Android if someone has an older version -- I only picked it because that's what I had on my test phone.

Post Reply

Return to “Star Wars CCG Resource Section”