maz kanata - no species :( - Ancient Watering Fail

SWCCG game play discussion.
Ardrra
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack
GEMP Username: Ardrra

maz kanata - no species :( - Ancient Watering Fail

Post by Ardrra »

so, i was excited to FINALLY make Ancient Watering Hole work last night....only to find that it didn't.

I was going to file a gemp bug, but then as I was watching the replay and looking more closely, i noticed that Maz doesn't have a species. but she's clearly not human. so i search the internet and find her species is "unknown".

if its unknown, she can't be human or we'd "know" it. so should Ancient Watering Hole consider her species to be "not human" since we don't "know" her species and thus it is considered "different"?

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but damn i want AWH to work.
Last edited by Ardrra on May 21st, 2020, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Issac

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Re: maz katana - no species :( - Ancient Watering Fail

Post by fungineer »

This was specifically discussed during playtesting if I recall. Her species is undefined per wookiepedia, so...like yoda, she doesn't get one.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Ardrra
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack
GEMP Username: Ardrra

Re: maz katana - no species :( - Ancient Watering Fail

Post by Ardrra »

fungineer wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 12:10 pm
This was specifically discussed during playtesting if I recall. Her species is undefined per wookiepedia, so...like yoda, she doesn't get one.
understandable. i won the game anyway, so at least it wasn't a lesson learned in defeat.
Issac

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Re: maz kanata - no species :( - Ancient Watering Fail

Post by Corran »

Ancient Watering Hole needs more good LS aliens in general. Hopefully there are some aliens in set 13 that can hold their own.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

Kjeld
Starter
Starter

Post by Kjeld »

AWH is very frustrating, as there are lots of aliens with no "species". (Also, I'm not sure why [presumably] human doesn't count as one?). Another frustrating species-less alien is the Palace Raider. Nice card, definitely not human, but doesn't do squat for AWH.

Pantherpike
GEMP Username: Gladniator

Post by Pantherpike »

In terms of actual gameplay, this means Ancient Watering Hole needs to play 6 aliens at a minimum. You're going to put her down as she is one of the best aliens out there, but she doesn't count for the species requirement even though you know she is alien. It's irritating but the benefit of AWH itself is very strong (the +1 to drain isn't restricted to Battlegrounds or sites). The good part is Han Solo counts as long as it's the Resistance version who is an alien. Him and Chewie are 2 out of the 5 (Corellian/wookiee).

But we do need some better LS aliens. Hopefully the Solo movie cards being talked about will give us some good ones (the group Solo fights with before we find out they are the good guys...can't remember name). Becket and Co. could be powerful too and I'm hoping they are LS and not DS (he could be either IMO). I think some of the "good" Mandalorians from The Clone Wars series could be powerful aliens as well. Perhaps the character from the recent movie from Poe's past (again, can't remember name) would be a nice powerful alien and not Resistance.
This is where my signature is supposed to be, but I can't get it to do cursive!

TechTerror
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: TechTerror

Post by TechTerror »

Wholeheartedly agree with everything in this thread! Please some LS alien help. DS aliens are amazing. Dash v was a nice step in the right direction as was Lak Sivrak and Maz. All are pilot warriors. But those are pretty much where it stops.

Problem is the LS aliens aren't utility characters. KFC has a pilot benefit but it combines with serious deployment restrictions which is somewhat balanced by her awesome text. Leesub v is cool but she isn't a pilot or a warrior.

Think about DS virtual aliens: Hondo, Zam, Cad Bane, Sidon, Bala Tik, Chelli Aphra!, Jango, Ree-Yees v, Ortugg v, Djas v, Daroe, Aurra v, Wooof v. If we could get LS aliens to a group like this we could see another category of LS characters that would get play. I have been toying around with Legend Aliens since it came out and it just doesn't quite cut it to justify playing. I think some EPP LS aliens (yes I know we have Lando w Vibro and Lando w Blaster but neither have a species). Or LS aliens that can \/ other characters. All we've got it Leslomy really but DS has Daroe, Jango, Hondo, and the best of all Chelli: retrieve droids and reduces their cost to her site.
Pantherpike wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 2:24 pm
The good part is Han Solo counts as long as it's the Resistance version who is an alien. Him and Chewie are 2 out of the 5 (Corellian/wookiee).
I didnt think Corellians worked so thanks for the call out here! From the AR:

Characteristics – Species
Examples of species are Wookiees, Jawas, Hutts,
Tusken Raiders, Ewoks, and Corellians (yes, Corellians
are actually a race of humans; for simplicity we refer to
all such identifications as species). Human is not
considered a species (since it is subdivided into
different races), nor is humanoid.
Paul Coggins
GEMP username: TechTerror

TechTerror
GEMP Username: TechTerror

Post by TechTerror »

Also would like to give D&D some credit: Yoxgit v is also amazing of course for the pull and redraw (and free deploy). Lando v and Lobot v are also pretty cool and fall into the \/ category.

Edit to add:

Ooo thinking about it, let's tweak Maz that she is both Alien and Resistance so she can benefit Legend flip side.

Then tweak AWH so it needs only 4 species since it already gives an extra benefit for Maz so don't have to give her a species. I mean I get that it is powerful for drains, but really it is only +1 or +2 to BD and a measily +1 to forfeit, whereas ROPs/Diplo can easily make a +4 to BD.
Paul Coggins
GEMP username: TechTerror

Madmanwithabox
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by Madmanwithabox »

A TROS version of Maz would probably make more sense, as she’d seemingly joined the resistance at that point.
Plenty of interesting alien characters in the Mandalorian also.
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

The fact that non-species aliens don’t count as a species is ridiculous in my opinion. From a logical standpoint, Ancient Watering Hole should work if you have down Lando, Maz, and 4 other aliens of differing species. The fact that you have to have 7 ‘technically’ different species on the table in this instance is beyond silly, with all due respect.

Jedicon
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by Jedicon »

stephengascrub wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 7:44 pm
The fact that non-species aliens don’t count as a species is ridiculous in my opinion. From a logical standpoint, Ancient Watering Hole should work if you have down Lando, Maz, and 4 other aliens of differing species. The fact that you have to have 7 ‘technically’ different species on the table in this instance is beyond silly, with all due respect.
You know the rules when deckbuilding. If turning on AWH is integral to your deck, then plan accordingly.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Good thing disney cancelled the older canon.

Can you imagine how mad OP Would be if maz had no species, yet the literal starships for the yuuzhan vong did?
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

AdmiralMotti89
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

I'd like a Jabba's Prize V-style card that plays from under your starting effect that makes "Moisture Farmer" a species and crell count as one.

Also operatives with a shadow picture turned into non-unique aliens of species we don't have a non-unique for. I would like the increase the variety of ways in which I lose with Rep decks.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things. Play Sealed Games, Win Sealed Prizes

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Rep been should count as a rep for any species
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

The Franchise wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 7:23 pm
Rep Been (v). Alien. Destiny 0.

Clawdite. Leader. Spy. Posing as a Gungan to unearth the dark truth about Jar Jar Binks.

Power: 2 Ability: 2

May count as the rep of any species for your <icon> objective. If Jar Jar at same site, Jar Jar Binks converts to the dark side and becomes Darth Jar Jar/Darth ???.

Deploy: 0
Forfeit: 3

Warrior
Top Finishes:
-2018 Endor Grand Prix Team Tournament 2nd Place
-2012 SC States 2nd Place
-2011 Malastare Regionals 2nd Place
-2010 Malastare Regionals 3rd Place

Decipher ELO Ratings:
Highest: 1696
Final: 1656

OCS Records:
2020: 10-38
2019: 6-18

Scrabble: 1738 (354-207)

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

The Franchise wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 7:23 pm
No way! That guy is a Has-Been.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Return to “General Discussion”