Navy Tropper Fenson is not coded.

FINN: I need a weapon.

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Re: Cheese Questions

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

Kurtbob wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone! Dark Deal Abuse: Thanks for the kind words! I too enjoy playing with you :)

Good to know that there is a difference between combos and cheese and that a little cheese in P-DSII is to be expected.

FlorisV mentioned insert cards, asteroids and hidden base quads as cheese. I am familiar with the first two but what is hidden base quads? And how can someone abuse Brangus Glee? What are some other examples of cheese?

Thanks in advance
You have much to learn, young padawan!
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

mrfahrenheit7 wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Kurtbob wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone! Dark Deal Abuse: Thanks for the kind words! I too enjoy playing with you :)

Good to know that there is a difference between combos and cheese and that a little cheese in P-DSII is to be expected.

FlorisV mentioned insert cards, asteroids and hidden base quads as cheese. I am familiar with the first two but what is hidden base quads? And how can someone abuse Brangus Glee? What are some other examples of cheese?

Thanks in advance
You have much to learn, young padawan!
If only that video of Brangus Glee is around from early 2000s or a Decktech report.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Am I the only one that has no problem with an opponent that concedes because they don't want to play the deck I'm using in a casual game.

Dark Deal Abuse
GEMP Username: DarkDeal44

Post by Dark Deal Abuse »

I am generally okay with this. SWCCG is a game of matchups and I think we can agree that certain decks have slim chances versus others. I always play it out on GEMP but I can see why people do concede immediately.
-DDA

seitaer wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Am I the only one that has no problem with an opponent that concedes because they don't want to play the deck I'm using in a casual game.
I ONLY play PREMIERE- REFLECTIONS II (no v-cards, no shields and most importantly no Episode 1)...would love to talk to others that play this format! :popcrn:

Actively trying to build an old school SWCCG player base in Michigan. PM me if interested!
Actively building a Prem-Ref2 Cube (my first one ever).

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

seitaer wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 6:38 pm
I'm okay with an opponent conceding right at the beginning if they really don't like the match up. What gets frustrating is when an opponent has a minor loss in an early battle against my deck that tends to win an early battle and then peter out. Sometimes I have enough time to play one game, but not one and a quarter games. Also, it gets really annoying when I get a string of games like that in a row. I wouldn't even call these players unsportsmanlike. It's just that casual GEMP against randoms is the best way for me to play test, since I don't really have a play testing group, and these games aren't super helpful.

Of course drinking Bourbon and not playing SWCCG doesn't exactly make me better at SWCCG either, so maybe I should just get back into playing GEMP every night and stop complaining.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
ketwol wrote: There are good cards which aren't frequently played and blow people out. You just have to invest some time and be creative ;)

dvphimself
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: dvphimself

Post by dvphimself »

Kurtbob wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:12 pm
. I don't dare play numbers anymore if I actually want someone to play me. :???
Different players have different expectations coming into a game. I wouldn't worry if your opponent's expectations did not realise during your games.
I'd say 'cheese' decks are an expression of your creativity and understanding of card texts, but not everyone sees it that way.

As Corran implied, I play plenty of 'cheese' and so do some other players. If you do so consistently, you will accumulate a few players who will quit when they see you join the game, and a few players that will call on you for games. I imagine that is also true of players who only play in open. Some will like your style of play, while others will complain about it at every opportunity.

From discussing my deck with players who like and dislike it, one common thread did come up regarding the justification of 'cheese':
The more cardslots required by a cheesy system, the less unfair it feels to the opponent. In this way Desperate Hour can feel more fair than On The Edge; Never Tell Me The Odds can feel more fair than Anger, Fear, Aggression.
The ultimate extension of this would be a 'cheese' system that requires so many cards that it consumes the entire deck.

My other observation is that as long as you have units at battlegrounds where the opponent can take their best shot, the 'cheese' is greatly legitimized. In this way, in addition to falling for your dastardly tricks they must also fail to best you at combat. The antithesis of this would be a deck that drains at a non-BG site & system, while playing Anger,Fear,Agression and rinsing On The Edge... Clutching a Blast The Doors and Hyper Escape just in case. From what I have pieced together from various conversations, these types of decks are the least tolerable.

The final suggestion is to remind your opponent of the litany of cards they could have brought to the table which would have cancelled, countered, or mitigated your 'cheese' with ease. This is probably best saved for opponents who are extra-vocal about the negative way they view your style of play.
Even before shields, there is a foil for just about every scheme. Most schemes are foiled with a single card. Many can be cancelled or disrupted by any one of several cards. In your On The Edge scheme, the droid, the top deck 7, your ability to retrieve cards and the interrupt itself could have all been interfered with by your opponent if they had (the foresight to bring) the required cards.
To this end, you could type "SenseLookSirDroidsComeHereYouBigCowardSabaacThere'llBeHellToPayEtc" but you'll likely not see that player again for a while. This is occasionally ideal.

Welcome to GEMP, hope to see your cheese sometime soon.

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

I used to sell some cheese, especially the Dainsom and Bast varieties. They didn't age well, unfortunately, and I think I gave the community food poisoning, so now I don't really craft cheese anymore... publicly at least 0:-)

except maybe until Worlds...
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

This is definitely not cheating. One reason I, and a lot of players, had such fond memories of Premiere-DSII or Premiere-R2 is the fact that you could play cheese and there were answers to most of the cards. The thing was you couldn’t, or at least likely wouldn’t, build a deck tech’d for all of it.

I kind of liked it though. If I had no numbers defense, that was on me. Likewise, if I didn’t have grabbers for On the Edge, etc.

That said, I also agree that if a player wants to concede because they’re playing HD against a space deck with numbers and have no bullet cards, that’s fine. What’s not fine is complaining about it or calling you a cheater. People should know what they’re getting into with formats like this.

If your opponents don’t like it, they should put no cheese in the game header, or play in formats with shields.

Like others said, you do you!
Top Finishes:
-2018 Endor Grand Prix Team Tournament 2nd Place
-2012 SC States 2nd Place
-2011 Malastare Regionals 2nd Place
-2010 Malastare Regionals 3rd Place

Dark Deal Abuse
GEMP Username: DarkDeal44

Post by Dark Deal Abuse »

+1. Great response.
stephengascrub wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:47 am
This is definitely not cheating. One reason I, and a lot of players, had such fond memories of Premiere-DSII or Premiere-R2 is the fact that you could play cheese and there were answers to most of the cards. The thing was you couldn’t, or at least likely wouldn’t, build a deck tech’d for all of it.

I kind of liked it though. If I had no numbers defense, that was on me. Likewise, if I didn’t have grabbers for On the Edge, etc.

That said, I also agree that if a player wants to concede because they’re playing HD against a space deck with numbers and have no bullet cards, that’s fine. What’s not fine is complaining about it or calling you a cheater. People should know what they’re getting into with formats like this.

If your opponents don’t like it, they should put no cheese in the game header, or play in formats with shields.

Like others said, you do you!
I ONLY play PREMIERE- REFLECTIONS II (no v-cards, no shields and most importantly no Episode 1)...would love to talk to others that play this format! :popcrn:

Actively trying to build an old school SWCCG player base in Michigan. PM me if interested!
Actively building a Prem-Ref2 Cube (my first one ever).

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

Xanth wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 10:34 am
I used to sell some cheese, especially the Dainsom and Bast varieties. They didn't age well, unfortunately, and I think I gave the community food poisoning, so now I don't really craft cheese anymore... publicly at least 0:-)

except maybe until Worlds...
I love seeing the last part I otherwise missed when I quoted this. :P Good stuff. Yeah, when you play cheese stuff gets erratas.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

dvphimself
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by dvphimself »

I had an opponent today tell me that he is going to report my deck to the PC. I am abusing exploits, allegedly.

So the decklist now belongs on the cheese thread. :)
I'm turning myself in!

Jedicon
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Jedicon »

dvphimself wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 11:47 am
I had an opponent today tell me that he is going to report my deck to the PC. I am abusing exploits, allegedly.

So the decklist now belongs on the cheese thread. :)
I'm turning myself in!

Was Krayt Dragon Bones the nature of their complaint, or something else?

dvphimself
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by dvphimself »

Jedicon wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Using 3 wagering characters to force draws while the bones are on table was grinding his gears. To be fair, the wagering characters were hiding safely in the NonBG Pod Arena. Then he kept drawing 5s for saber destinies and so the groups he battled just kept growing.

Jedicon
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Jedicon »

dvphimself wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Jedicon wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Using 3 wagering characters to force draws while the bones are on table was grinding his gears. To be fair, the wagering characters were hiding safely in the NonBG Pod Arena. Then he kept drawing 5s for saber destinies and so the groups he battled just kept growing.
Sounds like a reason to play Hans Blaster v

dvphimself
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by dvphimself »

Jedicon wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 3:21 pm
Sounds like a reason to play Hans Blaster v
Yeah Greedo's a floater on the deck. You just reminded me to do a shift change and get him off the bench. Thanks!
That p59 currently on the list is a relic from when i was using Mechanical Failure to retarget HanBlaster and SorryMess away from the key figures.

Return to “General Discussion”