Design question

SWCCG game play discussion.
rhtm70
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Design question

Post by rhtm70 »

My question is for anyone involved in design. Before I ask my questions I want to say that this is not an indictment of the designers on previous cards, it's not a criticism of the design team and it's also not a backhanded hit at how they have handled any previously released material. This is purely out of curiosity.

I would like to know how from a game perspective you guys are going to handle things first mentioned in Last Jedi like hyperspace tracking, hyperspace ramming (i.e. Holdo's sacrifice), Luke's projection and Leia's Force move. I'm not a fan of Last Jedi in the slightest but based on the previews I assume you guys are going to cover most of the material in Last Jedi so I just wanted to get a little insight into how design works. I enjoy the Design Blogs and was just interested.

I don't envy you guys having to figure out how to fit these things into a universe that never saw them before and also how to do the new versions of the old characters. Thanks for all you do in keeping the game alive!

Cam Solusar

Re: Design question

Post by Cam Solusar »

rhtm70 wrote:I would like to know how from a game perspective you guys are going to handle things first mentioned in Last Jedi like hyperspace tracking, hyperspace ramming (i.e. Holdo's sacrifice), Luke's projection and Leia's Force move. I'm not a fan of Last Jedi in the slightest but based on the previews I assume you guys are going to cover most of the material in Last Jedi so I just wanted to get a little insight into how design works. I enjoy the Design Blogs and was just interested.

I don't envy you guys having to figure out how to fit these things into a universe that never saw them before and also how to do the new versions of the old characters. Thanks for all you do in keeping the game alive!
It's too early to get into details at this point, but I will say that The Last Jedi is presently my favorite Star Wars movie. Period. So any designs that I am involved with covering material from The Last Jedi will reflect a desire to genuinely depict the characters and themes from that movie in as fun and authentic a way as possible while still keeping in mind the present meta and keeping the game fun and fresh.
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

For the last time Cam, nobody wants a free the space horses objective.

Kind of unprofessional of you to make this public.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

Cam Solusar

Post by Cam Solusar »

JarJarDrinks wrote:For the last time Cam, nobody wants a free the space horses objective.

Kind of unprofessional of you to make this public.
Did you and Chris decide between yourselves which of you was going to be the back-half of the fathier cosplay?
Camden Y, Southern California
BrenDerlin wrote:These movies aren't called Star Battles, yo.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

If this is of any consequence- I hated The Last Jedi. It actually turns me off of Star Wars when I think about it. I wish they could retcon it.

But I am truly, truly excited about the episode 8 themed cards in the works. I think we captured the good parts of the spirit of the time and events that honors what I wished the movie had been while still being true to the actual events of the movie that Cam did like.

Time will tell, but if you have someone who hated the movie and someone who loved the movie both excited about it, hopefully we will deliver a good product for all types of players.
Last edited by chriskelly on June 11th, 2018, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

JarJarDrinks wrote:For the last time Cam, nobody wants a free the space horses objective.
I wish I could put my fist through the whole of this stupid beautiful town / Now it was worth it

I think that's in playtesting now?
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Horses are forfiet +2! Make it +1 at least...
Kryptofis

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

More creature vehicles! :)
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

swatt9999
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: FsuSwatt

Post by swatt9999 »

finally good jedi training decks?

oh, and little teddy bear/guinea pig parties for an objective?

SolaGratia

Post by SolaGratia »

kryptofis wrote:Horses are forfiet +2! Make it +1 at least...
Deploy 0 and Destiny 7 so we can use them in Hyperdipplo.

In all seriousness, I am sure D&D will craft it in a way to please many or they can simply not incorporate (e.g., hyperspeed jump to destroy capitol ship) since there is still much material open in the Disney movies not covered plus Ep 2-3. Tracking in hyperspace may be as simple as has been done with SD and simply allow follow movement or 'react'...I am sure there are creative ways to craft it in.

rhtm70
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by rhtm70 »

Thanks for the replies! Funny stuff! :lol:

My question was purely an academic one as I was just curious how a new mechanic is incorporated into the game. I wasn't really asking about any particular cards in development or anything.

Also, I'm not bashing anyone who likes Last Jedi as it's perfectly within anyone's right to like or not like it. It's just not my favorite even though I can understand what they were trying to do.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

I think Hyperspace tracking is already incorporated via reacts, so if anything, Snoke's FO ship might get react type text, but I don't see any need to reinvent or even add flavor text to that mechanic (flavor text just takes up space, which is very precious especially on starships).

I think that "Holdo's Maneuver" is kind of stupid (why did they not just do that with the first ship that they abandoned before it was completely out of fuel? Yeah, I get that it was a last ditch effort, and a story telling device to make Holdo out to be more heroic, but still...) and I think Collision! is a better card than anything that tries to mimic the mechanics of hyperspeed ramming. Opponent has two ships, draw destiny and see if they collide. Much better than sacrificing your own ship to take out an opponent's ship.

To address the OP, I think designers will look at the thematic elements they personally enjoy from a movie and design cards that fit that. If the design team as a whole feels like it would be a good addition to the card pool (eg fills a need in the meta, works in conjunction with a specific deck/objective, adds value to the game) then it will move forward in the process. Sometimes, no matter how cool something is in the movies, there simply isn't going to be a place for it in the game.

Apollyon
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Apollyon
GEMP Username: Apollyon

Post by Apollyon »

Darth_Link wrote:I wish I could put my fist through the whole of this stupid beautiful town / Now it was worth it

I think that's in playtesting now?
No. The only objective in Playtesting right now is "I hate sand / It gets everywhere".

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

rhtm70 wrote:My question is for anyone involved in design.
I think a few of us responded by now. Hopefully our thought process was clear. But now let me turn the tables on you and let design ask you guys a question.

First, a back story. When the reset first happened, then-Design Advocate Shewski came onto these boards and said that Design had cool new Senate shields. But they wanted some ideas for the underlying cards and titles. Well, low-and-behold, a young Star Wars CCG-er with Luke Jedi as his avatar was lucky enough to fire off the winning suggestions and so history was made and he forever had an impact on the game everytime those senate shields are pulled.

Flash forward...

So we have a card. A cool card. A very cool card.
It's a LS card. It hurts TTO. It hurts carbon freezing. It also impacts so many of the top DS decks right now at least a little bit. It reminds me of a Disarmed, but for starships or vehicles. I like it.

For theme reasons, we have been through a few different underlying images: Menace Fades (what better way to hurt TTO and starships than with a card that has a starship crashing into the Death Star?), Lets Keep A Little Optimism Here (Han talking about their plan for getting to the shield to take down the Death Star and it was Han that was frozen), and a few others. But I think we settled on The Time For Our Attack Has Come because it's a cool spacey picture that isn't often used.

But for the life of us, we can't think of a name.

That's where you guys come in. Suggest some names. It can be something clever, inspired by a battle tactic. A description of the battle (like "End OF A Reign"). from deep Star Wars lore, a line from Rogue One? A line from Return of the Jedi? A line from Rebels? Even one from Solo! Anything.

Remember the theme: hurts TTO and starships. Hurts vehicles and carbon freezing.

Winner (judged solely by the design team) gets the text of the card to spoil.

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

chriskelly wrote:Remember the theme: hurts TTO and starships. Hurts vehicles and carbon freezing.

Be Careful Not To Choke On Your Aspirations

-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

Data Tapes - 05 - The Unofficial NARP Defensive Shield Primer

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

We Will Need Every Advantage
-Bail Organa to Mon Mothma, Rogue One

Works with the general theme of an underdog Rebellion, and doubles as a meta-comment on LS needing a card that helps against so many different decks and damage sources.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

KissMyWookiee

Post by KissMyWookiee »

“The time to fight is now.”
– Jyn Erso
Wayne "KissMyWookiee" Cullen
Member of LI Crew

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

KissMyWookiee wrote:“The time to fight is now.”
– Jyn Erso
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
In all seriousness, great idea and I'll think of something to offer.
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

KissMyWookiee

Post by KissMyWookiee »

CRG wrote:
KissMyWookiee wrote:“The time to fight is now.”
– Jyn Erso
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
In all seriousness, great idea and I'll think of something to offer.
man, i knew I've seen it used before, and I've only been playing that objective for over 2 months. Not sure how I missed it searching.
Wayne "KissMyWookiee" Cullen
Member of LI Crew

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

vhstapes wrote:
chriskelly wrote:Remember the theme: hurts TTO and starships. Hurts vehicles and carbon freezing.

Be Careful Not To Choke On Your Aspirations

I lol’d
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

Return to “General Discussion”