Strategy Discussion

SWCCG game play discussion.
OrehRuoy
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
GEMP Username: orehruoy

Strategy Discussion

Post by OrehRuoy »

It hasn't been long since I returned to SWCCG and wanted to talk some strategy.

What do you guys do when someone completely ignores you and will not fight you? What if you are a ground deck and they are space focused..? You know that you will lose space battles but you do not want to get drained and have to pay there all game. I know some decks want to fight and some don't but if you are a battle deck how do you force the battles? If they are space they won't commit much to ground so you can't wait to pounce on them. If you put down some forces on a decent drain site they spread out or run all game.

Is it ever ok to completely abandon ground or space in a deck? I assume its bad since they could be spread even on their deck and you may be able to compete. If you know they are all space focused do you even try to stop them if you are not?

A big question is how do you force fights if they just want to run and hide all game?

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Re: Strategy Discussion

Post by puck71 »

If you're playing a generally all space vs all ground matchup (something like hunt down vs hidden base) you need to have a plan for that matchup. As hunt down this is why you usually need to run just a couple ships to eventually be able to probe systems and possibly maintain space presence for free drains. Also cards like overseeing it personally v to prevent your big drain from being cancelled. Other options are cards like search and destroy to punish them for not coming to ground. Basically you just need a plan to be able to do enough damage if they don't come to you. You can't have all your eggs in one basket.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

If you're facing a completely space focused deck as a ground deck, you want to spread as much as possible on your battlegrounds, deal as much damage as you can. Cards like Search and Destroy/I hope she's Alright help with damage. Wait for them to spread and then attack with what space you have. Or stack a system and try to hold on to it to get your drains in for free. It's pretty much the reverse for a heavy space deck. You just need to have a plan for being able to get enough damage through if you run into such a matchup.

There are several decks that play little or no space. Profit because of it's direct damage usually only plays one ship or none at all. Huntdown generally plays very few ships. Hyperdrive and certain builds of We Have a Plan as well. Hidden Base and EBO generally don't play that much ground. DS decks like TTO don't play a lot of ground either.

OrehRuoy
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
GEMP Username: orehruoy

Post by OrehRuoy »

What about with say TTO where if you ignore them at their one system you take 5+ a turn?

Also say your mainly ground focused and you have 1 site that you can drain for 2 only. So if you can't go space your pay 3 to do drains of 1. Which say you have 2 sites your paying 6 to drain for 3 while they are doing 5+ a turn.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Play Relatively unprotected.

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

OrehRuoy wrote:A big question is how do you force fights if they just want to run and hide all game?
First, (and unfortunately) the tools are already built into the game to shut/slow down one theater decks (Search & Destroy, Battle Order).

Second, if their deck is built to drain race and yours is built to fight, you should have had the foresight to plan for this eventuality and built you deck accordingly (i.e. include more space).

Third, have a backup plan to fighting. While you may find it fun, others find drain racing fun, so either you will have to drain race with them or figure out how force the conflict.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

TechTerror
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: TechTerror

Post by TechTerror »

I agree with the aforementioned Search and Destroy/IHSAR, Relatively Unprotected, etc.

Back before 1998 or so I used Meteor Impact to prevent the running and dodging. It can only work for exterior sites though so it's worthless against QMC and at only a 3 destiny it isn't worth it.

As a near-NARP I would say most importantly play with shields and don't play matches against non-shields or P-DSII or you will just get frustrated more. Now Defensive Shields can get you most of the way there you just need to know how to use them. the firepower/weapons display shields help a lot to prevent dodging away by the LS or exclusion by DS or at least benefit you by holding both theatres. Come here you big coward and simple tricks and nonsense will let you shutdown their retrieval if they only hold one battleground and shutdown drains at non battlegrounds. Finally if they are doing one big drain say at the Cantina or Kessel or at your exterior site with walkers/ISB, you can limit all their drains to 2 with resistance and ultimatum. A Houjix/Ghhhk in hand can let you spread to 3 battlegrounds to achieve this pretty risk free.

Outside of shields, for the DS gravity shadow can ruin LS ships plans of running from space battles. Ghhhk/Those Rebels can stop a react and hyper escape (and of course Landing Claw!) Don't forget It's a hit and Tarkins Orders as well if you.are running space decks you can cancel force drains at related sites. Some cards stop movement too Full Scale Alert, the barriers, xizors bounty, freeze!. These can work well to force interaction. Have a plan against Nabrun and Elis. The really good players fight only in their terms: I'm definitely not there yet.

I like what Puck said, you really just need a plan for what you'll do because the opponent will generally exploit what they can.
Paul Coggins
GEMP username: TechTerror

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

I could help you more if you mention specific matchups. Like against Hidden Base, Hutt Influence helps if you have aliens on Tatooine and good drains via Gailid or Presence Of The Force. My guess is you are playing Dark Side. Some LS space decks can be less interactive on the ground while DS space decks at least have one site that can be contested, the Endor Bunker (Endor Operations) or the Death Star Docking Bay (Set Your Course For Alderaan).

You could choose a different platform. Court Of The Vile Gangster can pull some ships for you and facilitates Search & Destroy (having 2 battleground sites), pullable with Mobilisation Points combo. CCT with IG-88 v can also be a good platform. Arica v is good against space decks.

Other decks can run 2 battleground docking bays, pullable with Imperial Arrest Order. If you run aliens in any Tatooine-based deck, Power Of The Hutt can pull Hutt Influence to make sure your drains don't get cancelled.

Efficient ships for a superlight space package are: Mara in Decimator (choice between that or Arica v), Boba Fett in Slave 1 v and Zuckuss In Mist Hunter.

What's handy is if you can stuff enough pilots or passengers in your ship so you may also want to consider other ships like Conquest v or Slave 1, Symbol Of Fear. Stalker v can ensure battles.

What space decks are you facing? Yavin OPS? You could run Yavin Docking Bay to be able to ignore General Dodonna v and have an extra drain at his War Room. Hidden Base? Hard deck for beginners, probing the Hidden Base is important. You can protect your ship from weapons with Security Precautions v. The most solid counter against Rebel Barrier and other evasive cards like Blast The Door Kid on the ground is Blast Door Controls but They're Still Coming Through is also very good.

Against decks that need to run away from battle, use Firepower v.

Return to “General Discussion”