Star Wars or The Game Itself?

SWCCG game play discussion.
hanotsri

Star Wars or The Game Itself?

Post by hanotsri »

I am curious what draws (drew) people to SWCCG. Was it the IP? The actual game mechanics? How the IP is reflected in the game mechanics? I know Wars was around after the license was lost, but was the game just as good without the same IP?

Personally for me, it's the only Star Wars card game that has "felt" like Star Wars to me. I've played a little bit of the TCG, LCG, and Destiny. They've just not been able to give me that same feeling. I am super appreciative of the PC for keeping this thing going.

On the flip side, the game mechanics themselves feel so "Star Wars" to me that I never had a strong desire to ever look at the Wars card game either. From what I understand, it uses generally the same mechanics.

I am curious about others thoughts on this.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Re: Star Wars or The Game Itself?

Post by seitaer »

I came for the star wars I stayed for the game

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

All mechanics for me, the star wars comes second and could be anything, really. In fact, as a kid, this game is what made me delve into star wars.
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

Data Tapes - 05 - The Unofficial NARP Defensive Shield Primer

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

its the game

if it was just the star wars than i would have played the other star wars card games (wotc/ffg/destiny/etc)

like VHS tapes, i wasnt a huge star wars fan when i picked up the game, but the game being so good turned me into a star wars fan
Jerry H

Image Image

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

quesosauce37 wrote:its the game

if it was just the star wars than i would have played the other star wars card games (wotc/ffg/destiny/etc)

like VHS tapes, i wasnt a huge star wars fan when i picked up the game, but the game being so good turned me into a star wars fan
x2

I think this would be true for most people who refuse to leave the game.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

seitaer wrote:I came for the star wars I stayed for the game
Same.

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Re: RE: Re: Star Wars or The Game Itself?

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

sjacree wrote:
quesosauce37 wrote:its the game

x2

I think this would be true for most people who refuse to leave the game.
This is me too. Swccg made me love the universe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.
TacoBill wrote:Your game plan is to lose the AC? Seems questionable

ElDuderino
GEMP Username: ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

A little from column:
and a little from column:
vhstapes wrote:All mechanics for me, the star wars comes second and could be anything, really. In fact, as a kid, this game is what made me delve into star wars.
I was already a big Star Wars fan, but I have the game to thank for developing a much richer love for the Star Wars Universe. And that comes down to how great the game mechanics were (and are).

lotjx
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by lotjx »

I came to Star Wars after playing Star Trek. I was really impressed how Star Wars dealt with combat. Star Trek borderlines as a game of solitaire at times unless you are dealing with Klingon or Borg War decks. At that point, you are just hanging on for dear life. Even though premiere was sorta weird that we didn't have the mains, A New Hope did a good job of rounding out the game. And the more we went on, the better it got for the most part.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

ElDuderino wrote:A little from column:
vhstapes wrote:Aas a kid, this game is what made me delve into star wars.
I was already a big Star Wars fan, but I have the game to thank for developing a much richer love for the Star Wars Universe. And that comes down to how great the game mechanics were (and are).
+1 (with some editing).

If this wasn't star wars, I wouldn't play it (why I have never wanted to play "wars"). The "sandbox" possibilities of the "If it's in your head, it's in here" exist for this game BECAUSE the Star Wars universe is so vast (and this game expanded that greatly).

I tried some of the other Star Wars games, because they were star wars, but always abandoned them quickly to go back to this one.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

quesosauce37
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

this thread also kinda leads me to one of my only complaints about virtual cards, which is that i learned a lot about the star wars universe through the lore of the cards, and to a lesser extent, the images.

I wish when we create a card, especially one for like a schoompy resistance guy (think UA statora), that i could get like 2 sentences on the dude and have learned some info about this guy
Jerry H

Image Image

mrfahrenheit7
GEMP Username: mjturner

Re: RE: Re: Star Wars or The Game Itself?

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

quesosauce37 wrote:this thread also kinda leads me to one of my only complaints about virtual cards, which is that i learned a lot about the star wars universe through the lore of the cards, and to a lesser extent, the images.

I wish when we create a card, especially one for like a schoompy resistance guy (think UA statora), that i could get like 2 sentences on the dude and have learned some info about this guy
I totally agree queso. Most of my extended sw knowledge is from lore or pictures in the cards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.
TacoBill wrote:Your game plan is to lose the AC? Seems questionable

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

"came for star wars, stayed for the game" is about right for me. I think I started at 8 yrs old so back then we barely knew what was going on. But now, while I still try to make thematic decks occasionally, I think mostly about the cool mechanics.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

quesosauce37 wrote:this thread also kinda leads me to one of my only complaints about virtual cards, which is that i learned a lot about the star wars universe through the lore of the cards, and to a lesser extent, the images.

As I understand we cannot "create" lore. If there was any wiggle room to verbatim copy lines off wookipedia (entered by someone other than us, with a cited source) I'd be all for it. However, I expect that's a pipe dream. However, with every new guy introduced I don't know, I immediately go to the wookiepedia page anyways...

At least it's better than "Cyborg commander"... :noshake: shudders. That was a dark time.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

+1. The more I play the more I appreciate how much there is to SWCCG. This game is HARD, and that’s a feature, not a bug.
Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club
Image Image Image

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

chriskelly wrote:
Same.
Thirded
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

hanotsri wrote:I am curious what draws (drew) people to SWCCG. Was it the IP? The actual game mechanics?
I would think that almost everyone who picked it up at the beginning was drawn in by the IP. You didn't know if the game mechanics were any good yet. Later on, word of mouth could've helped bring in some people who didn't care anything about Star Wars. There were also a few people who just randomly bought some of every CCG that came through the door, but those would be outliers, I think.
hanotsri wrote: I know Wars was around after the license was lost, but was the game just as good without the same IP?
I mean...probably? But I never found out, because I never held a "Wars" deck in my hand, since it wasn't Star Wars anymore.

The fact that Wars was DOA would need to be chalked up at least *partially* to the absence of the IP, right?

Anyway, you won't find hardly anyone here that is going to say they only played for the Star Warsness, and weren't impressed much with the mechanics. Anyone who felt that way would have moved on to other SW games.

The 1% of the original player base that is still here probably likes the game mechanics. :)

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

fungineer wrote:
+1 (with some editing).

If this wasn't star wars, I wouldn't play it (why I have never wanted to play "wars"). The "sandbox" possibilities of the "If it's in your head, it's in here" exist for this game BECAUSE the Star Wars universe is so vast (and this game expanded that greatly).

I tried some of the other Star Wars games, because they were star wars, but always abandoned them quickly to go back to this one.
this for me too. Especially the sandbox argument
Gosse Z. - Seattle

Emkay09

Post by Emkay09 »

gossuii wrote:
fungineer wrote:
+1 (with some editing).

this for me too. Especially the sandbox argument
This is for me, too. The fact, that you could theoraticly play 59 of the same card is very strong. In every game you have limits to have a max of cards, but here you are free to do whatever you want. If you want to play 20 X-wings, you may do so.
Moritz Karge
-
Ralltiir Regionals 2015 runner-up
Ralltiir Regionals 2017 runner-up

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

This. I was 13 when I exchanged my magic for star wars because star wars... I never looked back!
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Return to “General Discussion”