Errata: Harc in OA - why just OA?

SWCCG game play discussion.
hyvee_doughboy

Errata: Harc in OA - why just OA?

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

Forgive my ignorance. I’m a bad player and just looking to understand more.

Why was today’s errata with Harc + OA only targeted at OA? Is it because he can easily bunker on the Falcon as a Vehicle and is thus too hard to kill in that deck?

Or because they are already just bunkering at Jakku and this gives their bunkering even extra power?

I’m not complaining, just truly curious. I saw a guy play Legend with Jakku sites and vehicles and thought of how well Harc may fit in that as well (I had never seen non-V played that way before)

Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

DDM

Re: Errata: Harc in OA - why just OA?

Post by DDM »

This is because usually to deal with OA you are trying to invade fight at their sites. Which is the bulk of their activation. They don't need to go anywhere else. They have a drain +1 system, a good 2/2 site, and if you ignore them, they reduce by 2 a drain somewhere.
Harc Sef in Diplo or any one planet based deck could also be good, but you're just protecting yourself (and using a lot of cards to do that) against invasion and drains if they invade. But it's not like those decks need to be invaded to be beaten. OA usually does.
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

The main reason OA is targeted here has to be that the objective allows the LS player to reduce drains to 1 and combining that with Harc’s text is OP.
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/swccg
New to Gemp? Check out the Operational Guide & FAQ's here: viewtopic.php?f=964&t=75666
Spoiler
Show
2020 OCS: 58-26 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55
GEMPC 4: Runner-up ll GEMPC 3: Final 8
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
Image Image

DTartagOne

Post by DTartagOne »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:25 pm
The main reason OA is targeted here has to be that the objective allows the LS player to reduce drains to 1 and combining that with Harc’s text is OP.
So you can't reduce a drain to 1 on Jakku with the objective and further reduce it with Harc. However, as we saw watching in the Tom Haid vs. Brandon Baity match, Harc is pretty pretty strong when reducing the drain to 0 multiple times. It was what drove the game out to time as well basically allowed Tom to do almost nothing and still win. I think that is the bigger issue, the lack of interaction from the two sides.
Dan "Tortellini" Tartaglione
Image Image

MPC Consolation Runner Up 2016 Endor GP Consolation Second Place 2016 SoCal League Runner Up 2017

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

DTartagOne wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Jnapolit31 wrote:
So you can't reduce a drain to 1 on Jakku with the objective and further reduce it with Harc. However, as we saw watching in the Tom Haid vs. Brandon Baity match, Harc is pretty pretty strong when reducing the drain to 0 multiple times. It was what drove the game out to time as well basically allowed Tom to do almost nothing and still win. I think that is the bigger issue, the lack of interaction from the two sides.
Oh snap, wait- was I the final straw that got Harc errata'd? That would be a sweet notch to add to my belt
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

DTartagOne

Post by DTartagOne »

Xanth wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
DTartagOne wrote:
Jnapolit31 wrote:
Oh snap, wait- was I the final straw that got Harc errata'd? That would be a sweet notch to add to my belt
I don't say it was you in particular, more that after watching that game, I personally could see the power of the Harc.
Image Image

MPC Consolation Runner Up 2016 Endor GP Consolation Second Place 2016 SoCal League Runner Up 2017

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

DTartagOne wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:55 pm
Xanth wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:54 pm
DTartagOne wrote:
Jnapolit31 wrote:
I don't say it was you in particular, more that after watching that game, I personally could see the power of the Harc.
I said "final straw", not "only straw" 0:-)
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

Also add in Rose retrieval and you have OA essentially able to lose no net force to drains at its own battlegrounds.

And also what you said - OA can protect Harc in a speeder whose attrition immunity is hard to crack making it nearly impossible to clear Harc (or much anyone else).

Harc isn’t just powerful in OA, but that ability to keep him on table pushes it over the top. You can (ab)use Harc in other single-theater decks but he’s a lot harder to protect in other platforms.
Primers and Decklist/Match up/Game Libraries for: Hyperdrive (V) and Hunt Down. Teach your kid SWCCG!

Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club

AdmiralMotti89
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

If I read my calendar right he will still be legal in OA for Montana States, and it's got me wondering about a slew of swan songs...
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My Trade Thread
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

Agree w above. Other decks can run vehicles to hide him in, but they have to draw into them (they don't start with one on table). And those other decks don't have the -2 to weapon or battle destiny either, so he is easier to remove through battle.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

I'm a big fan of both of these errata, and the speed in which they were handled.

DTartagOne

Post by DTartagOne »

seitaer wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 7:58 pm
I'm a big fan of both of these errata, and the speed in which they were handled.
Yeah I am glad the people behind the scenes did this as quick as they did. I am also glad they posted their reasoning. Good job advocates!
Image Image

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

DTartagOne wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:03 pm
Good job advocates!
D&D too!
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:28 pm
DTartagOne wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:03 pm
Good job advocates!
D&D too!
+1

Thekillerkiwi
GEMP Username: killerkiwi

Post by Thekillerkiwi »

This errata would have been nice.....friday.

:lol: :thumbs:

In all seriousness, this is a good errata and I'm glad my boring matchup with Tom highlighted the problem even more. It was just as frustrating to play against as it was to watch I'm sure.
Brandon Baity

Please support my SWCCG Documentary - https://www.gofundme.com/star-wars-ccg-documentary

Check out my Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/thenanashi

seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Thekillerkiwi wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:42 pm

In all seriousness, this is a good errata and I'm glad my boring matchup with Tom highlighted the problem even more. It was just as frustrating to play against as it was to watch I'm sure.
That was the one match I got to watch all saturday too lol

hyvee_doughboy

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

Thanks for the info everyone. Exactly what I was looking for. Lots of learning for me the past 4 days :)
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

DTartagOne

Post by DTartagOne »

seitaer wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Thekillerkiwi wrote:

Now I am not saying it was a bad match to watch, I am just saying the jazz music the hotel was playing in the hallway was the only thing keeping Hayes and I awake.
Image Image

seitaer

Post by seitaer »

DTartagOne wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 10:11 pm
seitaer wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 9:06 pm
Thekillerkiwi wrote:

Now I am not saying it was a bad match to watch, I am just saying the jazz music the hotel was playing in the hallway was the only thing keeping Hayes and I awake.
I played an OCS game against BryanIrish once with that match up and he got the lock with "It could be worse" and "it's hit" looping with threepio and rey. I felt like crying.

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

Of course it's also the reduction on drains but OA activates a bunch as well. Few LS decks have an activation set up as efficient as OA, pulling a Twix for free, ABR...

Not even close to OA's power level is a deck like Agents in the Court. I could see use for him there, starting with Hutt Trade Route and Audience Chamber and then use Bo Shuda to protect and pull Harc with to reduce the drain on Hutt Trade Route. I've always favored Harc v thus far but this could help with a particular Achilles heel. Question would remain, which other locations to play...Antechamber, Tatooine ep.1 and...Outskirts?
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”