arebelspy

Re: Apologies

Post by arebelspy »

JediJer wrote:
Tarelion wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 3:41 pm
arebelspy wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 3:33 pm
fungineer wrote:I've noticed I get logged off much quicker from inactivity. It doesn't seem to matter if I have "remember me" on the forum log-in checked or not, I find myself logging back in much more, even when I didn't log in elsewhere.
That's happened to me for like a year. Don't think it's related to the forum change.

Sometimes I'm literally logged off after one minute.
This. I have this happen to me, too.
Probably a cookie or session setting in your browser, as that is what determines if you are still logged in. If you use private browsing or probably some VPNs, you may find that your sessions and/or cache are purged and/or not saved.
This is not the case. And it does not happen on any other sites or forums.

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

arebelspy wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:45 pm
JediJer wrote:
Tarelion wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
fungineer wrote:I've noticed I get logged off much quicker from inactivity. It doesn't seem to matter if I have "remember me" on the forum log-in checked or not, I find myself logging back in much more, even when I didn't log in elsewhere.
That's happened to me for like a year. Don't think it's related to the forum change.

Probably a cookie or session setting in your browser, as that is what determines if you are still logged in. If you use private browsing or probably some VPNs, you may find that your sessions and/or cache are purged and/or not saved.
Same. Just with this forum and not with other forums. For like a year too.
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

I for one am glad that "home" is gone.

This is the only forum i've ever been on that the parent didn't take you to the forum main page. I don't know how long it took me not to click it.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Xanth wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:59 pm
arebelspy wrote:
JediJer wrote:
Tarelion wrote:
arebelspy wrote:

Other forums may handle sessions differently. They may even be running completely different forum software, so I'd take comparisons with a grain of salt.

I haven't experienced this logout issue myself so it's less likely to be a server setting and more likely a client side issue. Not saying it's an absolute certainty, just more likely.

Tarelion
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: Tarelion

Post by Tarelion »

JediJer wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:20 am
Xanth wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:59 pm
arebelspy wrote:
JediJer wrote:
Tarelion wrote:
arebelspy wrote:

Other forums may handle sessions differently. They may even be running completely different forum software, so I'd take comparisons with a grain of salt.

I haven't experienced this logout issue myself so it's less likely to be a server setting and more likely a client side issue. Not saying it's an absolute certainty, just more likely.
I've cleared my cookies when it's happened, and it still happens intermittently. I don't use a VPN or private browsing to access the website.

I understand how difficult issues such as this can be to debug, so I'm not trying to be critical at all. Just trying to provide information if it helps isolate the problem. You do a fantastic job on the website, JediJer. Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try or information you'd like me to gather when it happens, and I'll try to do that.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

For those that have issues with getting logged out, how exactly do you access the forums?
Which browser do you use?
Are you using a bookmark to get to the site?
If so, please send me the exact url that you have bookmarked, especially if you follow the bookmark and are logged out or can't log in.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Firefox. Latest version.

Bookmark to the unread posts tab.

That's usually fine, but sometimes I'll just click a post (after clicking other posts, reading fine for a few minutes, etc.) and it takes me to the login page.

I login, browse for a few threads, maybe 2-3m, and then it'll take me back to the login page, maybe when I click reply or whatever.

It's mid-browsing after logging in that it will log me out.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

One of the issues I have is when I load a new page (like hitting post reply for this post) it goes to the bottom of that page.

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

I just went into forums from main page and I think it's fixed. Usually it loads based on previous history.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

I've never had login issues before today, but now I've been having issues all day. I got the "this site uses cookies" for the first time today as well, so I'm guessing it may be related?

First, I was apparently logged out on my Chrome browser on both mobile (which does happen periodically) and desktop (which literally never happens). When I tried to log in, it just took me back to the main forum page and stayed logged out. Didn't tell me the login failed or anything, it just put me right back where I started. This was the same on both devices. Then I cleared all cookies, and now I can log in, BUT, I can't stay logged in. I checked "remember me" but if I ever close the tab with the forums open (not even all of Chrome, just the single tab that has the forums open) it will log me out again. This is true on both mobile and desktop when using Chrome.

I tried the forums on Safari on mobile and I'm having slightly better luck, but it still logs me out frequently (and I literally never use Safari, so I don't see that as a good long-term option).

I'm using Allan subsilver, if that matters.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

spideyguy0 wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 6:44 pm
I've never had login issues before today, but now I've been having issues all day. I got the "this site uses cookies" for the first time today as well, so I'm guessing it may be related?

First, I was apparently logged out on my Chrome browser on both mobile (which does happen periodically) and desktop (which literally never happens). When I tried to log in, it just took me back to the main forum page and stayed logged out. Didn't tell me the login failed or anything, it just put me right back where I started. This was the same on both devices. Then I cleared all cookies, and now I can log in, BUT, I can't stay logged in. I checked "remember me" but if I ever close the tab with the forums open (not even all of Chrome, just the single tab that has the forums open) it will log me out again. This is true on both mobile and desktop when using Chrome.

I tried the forums on Safari on mobile and I'm having slightly better luck, but it still logs me out frequently (and I literally never use Safari, so I don't see that as a good long-term option).

I'm using Allan subsilver, if that matters.
I did enable the cookie notification, and changed one or two other settings related to sessions. Also earlier today I purged sessions, so everyone should have been logged out and would have had to log in again today.

For those that do have this issue getting logged out - Windows or Mac?

@spideyguy0 - are you accessing the forums directly or are you using the link from the home page when you tried to login?

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Everybody I have talked to today that had issues logging in said it was fixed simply by using the actual URL to the forums instead of just clicking on their history. The history has an expired session ID in it and once JJ purged the sessions those no longer work.

Go to this address or just bookmark this and use it:
https://www.starwarsccg.org/forum <--Integrated with site/frame
https://www.starwarsccg.org/forums
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

any link that ends with "&sid=big long string of random letters and numbers" should not be used and usually won't work across devices. The "sid" is the session ID and is not permanent, so that is one explanation for why you may have to log in again.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

I had been navigating to starwarsccg.org/forums, and apparently the new forum location is starwarsccg.org/forum (singular). This seems to have fixed my login issue, but this version of the forums has a longer loading time, has all this awful trim at the top and bottom, and when I go to post a reply, it takes me to the bottom of the page and I have to scroll up?
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Tarelion
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: Tarelion

Post by Tarelion »

JediJer wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 3:23 pm
For those that have issues with getting logged out, how exactly do you access the forums?
Which browser do you use?
Are you using a bookmark to get to the site?
If so, please send me the exact url that you have bookmarked, especially if you follow the bookmark and are logged out or can't log in.
I access the forums by clicking on a "frequently used URL" on my Chrome mobile home page. The URL it navigates to is: /. On desktop, I navigate via a bookmark to the same URL in the previous sentence.

I use Chrome for Android (version 76.0.3809.132) to access the forums on mobile, and Chrome for desktop (both Ubuntu Linux and Windows) to access it on desktop. I have only had trouble with mobile, never with desktop.

The issue doesn't happen when I first navigate to the forums, but rather once I've been browsing pages for a minute or two. I don't have to post anything or attempt to reply to get it to happen. Sometimes I may go days at a time without getting logged out, and then have it happen multiple times in a few minutes. When it logs me out, I don't get sent to the login page, but the header changes from saying my name in the upper right corner to saying "Login".

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

spideyguy0 wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 8:15 pm
I had been navigating to starwarsccg.org/forums, and apparently the new forum location is starwarsccg.org/forum (singular). This seems to have fixed my login issue, but this version of the forums has a longer loading time, has all this awful trim at the top and bottom, and when I go to post a reply, it takes me to the bottom of the page and I have to scroll up?
Add to this that I can’t use the back button, or link to individual topics because the url never changes while navigating
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

I've also found my "@" notification no long works now that the "/forum" page is up and running.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

@ tapatalk users - anyone else had issues seeing unread posts on the app?

Used to be that threads with new posts had an indicator next to them, and when I would open the thread, it would jump straight to the most recent unread post. Now when I open the app every topic appears read, and opening anything dumps me at the OP and I have to scroll/jump down from there.

I double checked my settings, haven't updated it recently, and the other forums I use with tapatalk still mark unread posts correctly. It's a very minor annoyance, but wondering if it's just me or something to do with the backend changes.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

I have tapatalk hide seen threads and only show unread, and it is all still behaving as normal/expected

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

arebelspy wrote:I have tapatalk hide seen threads and only show unread, and it is all still behaving as normal/expected
X2

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.
TacoBill wrote:Your game plan is to lose the AC? Seems questionable

Return to “General Discussion”