dipping my toes back in

SWCCG game play discussion.
Shewski
Retired Advocate

dipping my toes back in

Post by Shewski »

I heard holotable is no more. Gemp was just starting up when I was was leaving. That's the best way to play nowadays?

My head is spinning with all this talk of new formats and errata etc. What are the main formats nowadays?

I didn't miss a reset or anything right?

Mike Tomashewski

TacoBill

Re: dipping my toes back in

Post by TacoBill »

Gemp is the way to play. Its fairly intuitive once you play 2-3 games.

Don't worry about new formats. Open is what is being played at majors (with errata on the way to shake things up). The Jawa format banned the most played decks/LMFBM and I thought it was going to just be placeholder (its been more popular than anyone expected).

No reset. Just a retouch (errata to ~10 cards).
Bill Kafer
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.
Corran wrote:Honestly, Tacobill should just be the boss of SWCCG.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Go watch some games on gemp. It's great.

Only the deck builder is bad.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

arebelspy wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Wait.. . Deck Builder? Whatcha mean?

I do think there should be an "add all defensive shields" box when building a deck.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

marines28 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 12:09 am
arebelspy wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Wait.. . Deck Builder? Whatcha mean?

I do think there should be an "add all defensive shields" box when building a deck.
Joe and I (and likely others) prefer holodeck for deck building.

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Interesting. I only have experience with GEMP.
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

Hayes wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 12:36 am

Joe and I (and likely others) prefer holodeck for deck building.
For quite a while, I also preferred holodeck for deck building. As I've re-evaluated, I think it's just because that format is what I was so accustomed to. They are both generally very similar with drop down filters and search functions for cards, they're just laid out differently. The added benefit that I find from the deck builder in gemp is it tells me when I have 60 cards in my deck, where with holotable I sometimes end up with 59 or 61 because the deck total includes shields and cards like Jabba's Prize (v) and I have to do math to figure out if I'm at 60 or not.

Curious what specifically it is that Joe and Hayes (or anyone else) prefer about holotable deckbuilder over gemp. Although I do still use both because holotable lets me self-test a deck before I go live with it in a game on gemp.
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

Hayes

Post by Hayes »

I have shields and starting effects saved to separate htd files; I always build for 59 as a result.

I like that all cards are included in holodeck wheras not everything is coded in gemp. You can also leave your cursor over the card image and use arrow keys to flip through your list of filtered cards.

Then, once the list is "done" i like being able to lay it out on holotable, so i can see the destiny and card type breakdown/ratios.

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Post by Hutch »

Sorry for the sidebar. Back on topic...
Shewski wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 9:36 pm
I heard holotable is no more. Gemp was just starting up when I was was leaving. That's the best way to play nowadays?

My head is spinning with all this talk of new formats and errata etc. What are the main formats nowadays?

I didn't miss a reset or anything right?
One of the good points of gemp (or bad depending on perspective) is that you can observe games without needing permission from the players. So if you're just dipping toes, maybe you should spend a little just observing the boards and see which formats interest you most. Open Casual is akin to going over to your friends house to drink a beer and play with a deck that you just want to play, want practice with, think is fun, or testing out a new concept and include all tournament legal cards. The Jawa Cup format is mostly for everyone who was sick of playing with/against ROPS, TRM, Map, etc. But those decks are getting semi-nerfed in the next set through Errata.
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Another nice thing about GEMP is there are always terrible players like me online, so you can build your confidence up.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

Corran wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 9:53 am
Another nice thing about GEMP is there are always terrible players like me online, so you can build your confidence up.
Dinners in the oven, if you want butter, its under my face

Jerry H

Image Image

Return to “General Discussion”