Holodeck vs Gemp Deckbuilder

SWCCG game play discussion.
Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Holodeck vs Gemp Deckbuilder

Post by Hutch »

Instead of continuing to hijack Shewski's thread, I'll just start this one.

Pertinent chatter thus far:
Hayes wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 12:36 am
marines28 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 12:09 am
arebelspy wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 10:49 pm
Go watch some games on gemp. It's great.

Only the deck builder is bad.
Wait.. . Deck Builder? Whatcha mean?

I do think there should be an "add all defensive shields" box when building a deck.
Joe and I (and likely others) prefer holodeck for deck building.
dx_37 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 2:23 am
For quite a while, I also preferred holodeck for deck building. As I've re-evaluated, I think it's just because that format is what I was so accustomed to. They are both generally very similar with drop down filters and search functions for cards, they're just laid out differently. The added benefit that I find from the deck builder in gemp is it tells me when I have 60 cards in my deck, where with holotable I sometimes end up with 59 or 61 because the deck total includes shields and cards like Jabba's Prize (v) and I have to do math to figure out if I'm at 60 or not.

Curious what specifically it is that Joe and Hayes (or anyone else) prefer about holotable deckbuilder over gemp. Although I do still use both because holotable lets me self-test a deck before I go live with it in a game on gemp.
Hayes wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 2:39 am
I have shields and starting effects saved to separate htd files; I always build for 59 as a result.

I like that all cards are included in holodeck wheras not everything is coded in gemp. You can also leave your cursor over the card image and use arrow keys to flip through your list of filtered cards.

Then, once the list is "done" i like being able to lay it out on holotable, so i can see the destiny and card type breakdown/ratios.

3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

Hutch
GEMP Username: hutch

Re: Holodeck vs Gemp Deckbuilder

Post by Hutch »

That's a good point about hovering the cursor and using the arrow keys to scroll through. That's better. And let me ask for clarification on something. I also have a pre-built shields list which I then build the rest of the deck onto. But it sounds like you save the shields and 59-card deck as separate files and then once on Holotable, you load two different decks? If so, that's genius. I never thought to do it that way.
3rd place 2016 Virginia States; 3rd place 2017 Virginia States; Top 8 Euro MPC 2018; 5th place 2018 German Nationals; 5th Place 2018 Kashyyyk Regionals; 3rd place 2018 Massachusetts States; 2019 Massachusetts League Champion; 3rd place 2019 Nal Hutta Regionals
Honorary member of Team Wales & Pretty much the best player in East Africa.

sjacree
GEMP Username: Plagueis

Post by sjacree »

I like to build in Holodeck as it allows me to see and scroll through cards easier.

Another benefit (and a big one for me) is that I can self test on Holotable without putting up a game on GEMP. I know you can have a second account on GEMP and ALT + TAB between 2 browsers but holotable is just way easier in that regard. Plus, it's private.
-Seth Acree, Compiler of Legacy Flex Cube, designer of Seth's Virtual Expansion, creator of Death March (legacy) and BHBM Skulls decktypes, Breaker of Dark Waters combo (legacy), former-CBT Member, former-Design team, best player in West Africa and...
Image Image
Throdo wrote:You're the most creative deckbuilder I know.

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

yup

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

Although I admit I haven’t used Holotable in a while, the party I missed most about its deckbuilder is the search capabilities. HT has more robust and nuanced search abilities than Gemp currently does, so it’s easier to find cards when you’re new and don’t know exactly what you’re looking for. On Gemp, I mostly can only search by card title and consistently find things. Given that we also have Scomp and I usually have that tab up also, I don’t think this makes Gemp unusable, but it is a useful strength of HT.
Justin Miyashiro

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

I like the GEMP Deckbuilder, because if I used Holodeck, I'd then have to build the deck again in GEMP in order to play in GEMP.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

Hayes

Post by Hayes »

Corran wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 11:48 am
I like the GEMP Deckbuilder, because if I used Holodeck, I'd then have to build the deck again in GEMP in order to play in GEMP.
Why is this bad? I also have all my deck lists typed from memory and saved on google keep. (The idea being that I want to know my decks inside and out; repetition helps reinforce that.)

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

The Holodeck builder is sweet because you can just type card names, hit enter X number of times, then continue typing card names and never have to use a mouse.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Yeah, the GEMP deckbuilder seriously needs a way to easily add/subtract* cards from your deck.

*It's easy enough to remove one. Though sometimes you accidentally click on a card or slip on the shift key and you gotta search it all up again.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

Hayes wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Corran wrote:
Why is this bad? I also have all my deck lists typed from memory and saved on google keep. (The idea being that I want to know my decks inside and out; repetition helps reinforce that.)
Short answer, I'm lazy.

If I want to pretend that there's another reason, I tend to tweak my decks after just about every other game(maybe too much). Maintaining them in multiple formats adds an unnecessary step.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Corran wrote:
Hayes wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 1:21 pm
Corran wrote:
Short answer, I'm lazy.

If I want to pretend that there's another reason, I tend to tweak my decks after just about every other game(maybe too much). Maintaining them in multiple formats adds an unnecessary step.
Of course. That's why we'd like to see the gemp deckbuilder made better.

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

I like the GEMP deckbuilder but have never used Holotable.

I do wish GEMP provided the ability to goldfish a deck.

dorshe1
Holotable username: dorshe1
GEMP Username: dorshe1

Post by dorshe1 »

Maybe someone can just write a program that converts the HT export into the same format as the GEMP import/export.

Someone much smarter tham me.

Thanks!

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by DVD ROTS »

Wokling wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 4:08 pm
I like the GEMP deckbuilder but have never used Holotable.

I do wish GEMP provided the ability to goldfish a deck.
Hard agree with this. I mostly don't mind the Gemp deckbuilder, but I do miss the ability to goldfish a bit. Very helpful for getting to understand the viability of a brew, or getting a feel for early-game patterns.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

I've said it before. I think we should copy the Netrunnerdb.com site and make sure you can export to both Holotable and GEMP from there. It has everything you need in terms of deckbuilding, and deck discussion. On top of it, I'm fairly certain it's free to clone. At least it's used on Doomtown, LotR, Marvel Champs and Thrones as far as I know. Possibly more.
- Casper Jørgensen
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

chrknudsen2
GEMP Username: chrknudsen

Post by chrknudsen2 »

swccgdb.com

It’s in beta, though, and doesn’t seem to have any virtual cards. So seems more like a proof of concept.

aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

chrknudsen2 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 3:04 am
swccgdb.com

It’s in beta, though, and doesn’t seem to have any virtual cards. So seems more like a proof of concept.
Wow. Nice. Who do I need to talk to, to help make this. I'm no coder, but if I need to monkeytype some data let me know.
- Casper Jørgensen

chrknudsen2
GEMP Username: chrknudsen

Post by chrknudsen2 »

viewtopic.php?p=1179913#p1179913

Looks like PrestonS was behind it.

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

What I really dislike about the Holodeck builder is you need to be very careful about the order of adding cards, or do a lot of clicking to move starting cards up or down the list. In Gemp, you don't need to bother with that.

Gemp's only (understandable) downside in my book is not having all the cards. Tractor Beams, please, now! And Human Shield! :-D

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

aermet69 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 6:42 am
chrknudsen2 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 3:04 am
swccgdb.com

Wow. Nice. Who do I need to talk to, to help make this. I'm no coder, but if I need to monkeytype some data let me know.
We have already cloned it and added virtual cards. However, it doesn't have much of the functionality of other games, as Preston didn't include that or it was added specifically for those other games, and converting it to work with swccg is much more difficult than those other games due to the ls/ds nature of the game.

If someone wants to help code things, let quickdraw or myself know. We've got a script already that can easily add cards to the database, so that's not a problem, but getting features to work is the problem we've been running into.

Return to “General Discussion”