Why is the @starwarsccg.org twitter account virtually dormant?

SWCCG game play discussion.
Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Why is the @starwarsccg.org twitter account virtually dormant?

Post by Jnapolit31 »

I genuinely intend this post to be constructive and to better advance the game - hopefully no one is defensive about what I say

When I came back to the game in very early 2017, the first place I looked was Twitter. Fortunately, it was just as the MPC was going on and I saw some familiar faces and names and was excited to hear/see the game going strong right in New Jersey, near me. It was a strong catalyst in me venturing to the forums, eBay to check out the market and browse the official website to re-familiarize myself with the cards. The next levels would then be GEMP, then Twitch, then Slack...

Lately, it seems the only time the account is tweeting is when there are majors going on - ironically, those who care most about real-time results of such events are probably going to the forums, Twitch and/or Slack first. And to someone who might have just re-watched SW movies lately, anticipating Episode IX, and are curious might do the same thing I did, but only to see a handful of posts regarding a couple, albeit major, events - without much regarding to the vibrant day-by-day community we have.

My main point here is I hope that the account becomes more active and "externally" markets the game better going forward. I would be happy to help in any capacity - I know there are probably some legal things to consider and that the tweets themselves should be coming from official advocates, but given the environment we're in now with Star Wars being so mainstream and front-and-center, I think we have a great opportunity to grow the game with players old and new. Maybe some type of committee makes sense to Take the Initiative.

As we all know, it's not 2001 anymore and there are SO many competing options for gamers that involve a LOT less start-up effort, but at a lot of live events at stores and on GEMP and on Twitch - we all see and hear it: "Wow, this game is still being played?" "I've been out of the game for X years, cool that it's still around. How do I build a deck?" "Man, this game was great, had no idea it's still going." Tapping back into former players who might've checked out as they went away to college, had kids, had a very busy work stretch, etc. is a great way to expand our base, and maybe we pick up some young players who find the game's complexity and expansiveness more so features than detriments :)

There are a lot of ways to piggyback on Star Wars on social media - I've mentioned it a few times on Slack but the ringer.com - the website that cranked this out: https://www.theringer.com/2018/5/21/173 ... -community - is doing a Star Wars Binge Mode podcast and even mentioned our game recently - Tibanna Gas Miner/Ice Cream Man. This pod, and Ben Lindbergh's Mandalorian review articles - delve into the SW Expanded Universe all the time - and often mention characters or locations or ships that are cards we use frequently. If we could just Like, Retweet, Reply to their posts "Mal and Jason talked about how awesome Captain Antilles is in the most recent episode...He’s a great inclusion in the Diplomatic Mission to Alderaan deck for SWCCG!” and link to the card. That activity gets seen 2nd and 3rd hand on Twitter (in good ways!). The official Star Wars account just had a 2 minute video yesterday essentially promoting the Carrie Fisher-Harrison Ford-Mark Hamill dynamic now with Boyega, Daisy and Oscar Isaac - and I couldn't help but think about was the I'm Getting Pretty Good at This card & the Legend deck.

I have more to say, but I don't want to ramble in this initial post - curious to hear others' thoughts on a route available to us to grow the game.

Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/swccg
Subscribe to the PC's YouTube page: YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Spoiler
Show
Individual performance for all players in all Majors since 9/2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
Gemp Operational Guide & FAQ's: tinyurl.com/GempGuideFAQs
PC Foil & AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist
2020 OCS: 58-26 (T16) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Re: Why is the @starwarsccg.org twitter account virtually dormant?

Post by Corran »

I post links to Bad Deck Breakdowns on my personal twitter. It would be great if the official SWCCG Twitter account would retweet those links(I could either @ the account or do a hashtag). Also, I don't believe that they even post links to the more official twitch content(Gogolen's show and Queso's show).

I've been impressed with how many people the facebook group has pulled out of the woodwork. Twitter is a similar beast.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

while its never a bad idea to get a better presence on twitter, its usually just not something that i personally think about when doing our stuff. Im not much for social media, i dont use twitter in my daily life, or instagram, or snapchat, etc. Im not even that good about checking facebook any more than 3-4 times a week.

If youd wanna help out, the marketing team im sure would love to have you, reach out to menzel or quickdraw and they can add you
Jerry H

Image Image

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Yep. We need a volunteer to step up and be the social media manager!

At worlds I asked Carulli and Casey to see if someone could tweet, there was none at all the first day.
Last edited by arebelspy on December 8th, 2019, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

It's mostly my fault. I've theoretically been the social media point person (including Twitter) for the past few years, and for various reasons the Twitter account has been neglected. If you want to jump in and help out, by all means. Send a PM to Menzel.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

mrfahrenheit7
DS Region: Endor
GEMP Username: mjturner

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

I wonder this same thong about Discord, which has many thriving communities similar to our niche group, but it seems to fall by the wayside as well. I know it is quite similar to Slack, but it is one more social media outlet (along with reddit) through which the general population of star wars fans could (re)discover our great game.
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion
Hunter wrote:Someone just outhookied thehooky.
TacoBill wrote:Your game plan is to lose the AC? Seems questionable

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

mrfahrenheit7 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 6:50 pm
I wonder this same thong about Discord, which has many thriving communities similar to our niche group, but it seems to fall by the wayside as well. I know it is quite similar to Slack, but it is one more social media outlet (along with reddit) through which the general population of star wars fans could (re)discover our great game.
Is discord really used like that though, as a means of discovery? It seems like it is a platform to communicate for established groups, but not something somebody would stumble upon "browsing" around discord.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

mrfahrenheit7

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
mrfahrenheit7 wrote:
December 8th, 2019, 6:50 pm
Is discord really used like that though, as a means of discovery? It seems like it is a platform to communicate for established groups, but not something somebody would stumble upon "browsing" around discord.
The only reason I brought this up is because there are a ton of usernames that I dont recognize from anywhere else on the current discord. I'm sure there are some players that are already community members, just using a different handle on discord, but I would bet there are many players that start up on gemp and think "oh, I bet this close-knit community has a discord server." Or "Let's see what their reddit looks like."
I have joined other online communities this way. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Mike Turner - 2017 & 2018 Montana State Champion, 2018 Washington State Champion

mrfahrenheit7

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

Like if you read the current minimal discussion on the discord, it's people asking about death star 2 starters and where to buy cards. Some people remembering the nostalgia of their favorite cards or metas.
I feel like that fills a crack that our current slack channel doesnt address.

Jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

OK, I'll reach out to Carulli/Menzel to see how I can personally get more involved.

I liked some of corran's ideas above, and frankly that's the main thing I was hoping to get out of this thread - a laundry list of ideas for things that the account should be tweeting about. Cross-promotions and the big news of the game. There was nothing tweeted about Set 11's release this summer - or anything from between the MPC to Continentals! Nothing about how we had a lot of Americans travel to Germany for Worlds...

We just had new cards released, we have the Outrider Cup ("our game is International and online-enabled, look, see!") and Jawa Cup (an alternate format that'd be less intimidating to NARPs) going on, both of which might intrigue those who casually check in on the game - and it's typically one of the slower months. The capabilities of GEMP to time-warp is another way to possibly bring folks in at a more comfortable level with the hope to eventually embrace standard format.

When there are states, regionals, majors, online weekend, LTW and the OCS going on - there will be even more content to discuss. I'm not saying naming specific winners' names even, but just marketing all the cool stuff happening, with pride -

"We had 5 regional events this month spanning from SoCal to Atlanta to New Jersey to Wales to Poland."
"The May OCS had 85 unique participants and X number of competitive games among players of all skill sets from across the world played each other."
"Look at these sweet foils we're giving away for playing/registering for X."
"Did you enjoy the themes of The Last Jedi? Well, now you can be in the driver's seat with Set 11 cards"
"Rey and Kylo battling at the Naboo: Battle Plains? Sure! - the possibilities of SWCCG are endless"

As I bolded in my initial post, utilizing this platform to connect with an "external" audience (i.e., those that aren't on our forums/twitch/slack frequently, if ever) to bolster the game's player base could be a huge boon... :!!:
Jared Napolitano
Spoiler
Show
Individual performance for all players in all Majors since 9/2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Most of the answers about the twitter account are pretty on-point. A dedicated Social person would be great, and Casey has tried, but he also does a bunch of other stuff for us, plus also has a life :) So it's tough.

The Discord seems like a different kettle of fish- This was the first I've heard of it existing so as far as I know, that's not official at all, and I don't see a reason to have both a Discord and a Slack. :???
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

imrahil327 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 2:02 am
Most of the answers about the twitter account are pretty on-point. A dedicated Social person would be great, and Casey has tried, but he also does a bunch of other stuff for us, plus also has a life :) So it's tough.

The Discord seems like a different kettle of fish- This was the first I've heard of it existing so as far as I know, that's not official at all, and I don't see a reason to have both a Discord and a Slack. :???
Discord can have an open invitation link, whereas I think Slack is personal-invite-only, right?

Also if there were to only be one or the other it should definitely be Discord. It is just vastly superior.
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

Data Tapes - 05 - The Unofficial NARP Defensive Shield Primer

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

vhstapes wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 2:14 pm
imrahil327 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 2:02 am

Discord can have an open invitation link, whereas I think Slack is personal-invite-only, right?

Also if there were to only be one or the other it should definitely be Discord. It is just vastly superior.
I disagree that it's vastly superior. I think Slack is a lot more user friendly, especially with having private channels for the different volunteer teams to use.

Also I tried searching for the discord and could not find it. I had to be invited by a member so it is definitely not an open invitation right now.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

Whenever people talk about Discord, I feel old. What's next? An SWCCG Tik Tok?
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

I feel like you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else who even knows what Slack is, Discord is the standard for a reason. Creating an open invite link is very easy. Alas, doesn't really matter to me and the community is all already on Slack (well, the community that counts ;) ).
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

mrfahrenheit7

Post by mrfahrenheit7 »

Slack is for work. Discord is for gamers. Who do we cater to?

vhstapes

Post by vhstapes »

mrfahrenheit7 wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 3:44 pm
People who game at work.
-Cyrus M.
\m/ Endor Region \m/

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Corran »

vhstapes wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 3:42 pm
I feel like you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else who even knows what Slack is, Discord is the standard for a reason. Creating an open invite link is very easy. Alas, doesn't really matter to me and the community is all already on Slack (well, the community that counts ;) ).
I've personally alienated myself from 2 separate Slack communities thank you very much.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Corran wrote:
vhstapes wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 3:42 pm
I've personally alienated myself from 2 separate Slack communities thank you very much.
And how many forums?

;)

Jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

vhstapes wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 4:00 pm
mrfahrenheit7 wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 3:44 pm
People who game at work.
LOL vhstapes ftw
Jared Napolitano
Spoiler
Show

Return to “General Discussion”