Why is the @starwarsccg.org twitter account virtually dormant?

SWCCG game play discussion.
rhendon

Re: Why is the @starwarsccg.org twitter account virtually dormant?

Post by rhendon »

vhstapes wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 3:42 pm
I feel like you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else who even knows what Slack is, Discord is the standard for a reason. Creating an open invite link is very easy. Alas, doesn't really matter to me and the community is all already on Slack (well, the community that counts ;) ).
Slack has a lot of plugins that can tie into various apps that the PC can use. Things like Trello for project management, Twitter, twitch, and so much more. This was partly the reason I pushed Slack at beginning. No idea on if any are being used or if any of the apps are being used to want to use the plugins but that was the big push of slack over discord.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Gemp uses plugins with pivotal tracker (which in turn has plugins with github).
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

rhendon wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 7:30 am
vhstapes wrote:
I feel like you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else who even knows what Slack is, Discord is the standard for a reason. Creating an open invite link is very easy. Alas, doesn't really matter to me and the community is all already on Slack (well, the community that counts ;) ).
Slack has a lot of plugins that can tie into various apps that the PC can use. Things like Trello for project management, Twitter, twitch, and so much more. This was partly the reason I pushed Slack at beginning. No idea on if any are being used or if any of the apps are being used to want to use the plugins but that was the big push of slack over discord.
You should know just as well as most that it's very difficult to get the community to adopt new methods. I mean, we paid thousands for a site redesign and people still don't do anything with Wordpress. It's all about the forums and will probably (sadly) always be all about the forums.

Slack (for me) quickly became unpleasant and I pretty much stopped using it except as a means for quickly communicating with one or two people. It definitely doesn't get used to its fullest potential with tying in to all those apps it has available. Some of that is my fault for not getting all the info needed to integrate them, but I have to wonder if it would have mattered.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

JediJer wrote:
December 14th, 2019, 11:44 pm
rhendon wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 7:30 am
vhstapes wrote:
You should know just as well as most that it's very difficult to get the community to adopt new methods. I mean, we paid thousands for a site redesign and people still don't do anything with Wordpress. It's all about the forums and will probably (sadly) always be all about the forums.

Slack (for me) quickly became unpleasant and I pretty much stopped using it except as a means for quickly communicating with one or two people. It definitely doesn't get used to its fullest potential with tying in to all those apps it has available. Some of that is my fault for not getting all the info needed to integrate them, but I have to wonder if it would have mattered.
I haven't been on it in a very long time. I just know that was why I pushed it to be used. I thought I had set up some of the plugins but maybe not. I can't remember all of what I did on it now. It was a long time ago.

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

Looks like the Twitter is still dormant, so:

I'd like to volunteer for managing it in the interim if y'all would like me to until you figure out what you want to do with it in an official capacity (with a new lead marketing director etc etc)

If you already have something in the pipeline, no worries!
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Xanth wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Looks like the Twitter is still dormant, so:

I'd like to volunteer for managing it in the interim if y'all would like me to until you figure out what you want to do with it in an official capacity (with a new lead marketing director etc etc)

Plus Tom works cheap. Just send him some shiny v-slips and he is happy.

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Xanth wrote:
Many thanks for offering the help, Xanth, but the Marketing team did have something in the pipeline and just needed a little nudge to get to the finish line.

Everyone should anticipate more active tweeting now - give @swccg a follow if you do not follow already!

And I should probably update the OP title to "why was the account dormant...".

:-D
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/swccg
Subscribe to the PC's YouTube page: YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Spoiler
Show
Individual performance for all players in all Majors since 9/2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
Gemp Operational Guide & FAQ's: tinyurl.com/GempGuideFAQs
PC Foil & AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist
2020 OCS: 58-26 (T16) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55

Xanth
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Xanth »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 6:42 am
Xanth wrote:
Many thanks for offering the help, Xanth, but the Marketing team did have something in the pipeline and just needed a little nudge to get to the finish line.

Everyone should anticipate more active tweeting now - give @swccg a follow if you do not follow already!

And I should probably update the OP title to "why was the account dormant...".

:-D
Excellent news!
Now taking orders for your SWCCG and Hobby needs!
Shadow 14 wrote:I officially love you now, Tom!
Advocate wrote: Tom Haid will make us all regret this probably.

scottrick49

Post by scottrick49 »

Who should I message to get an invite to the swccgpc slack? I would love to be able to chat with other devs who have been involved in the different swccg tools/software out there...
Scott

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

scottrick49 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 1:05 pm
Who should I message to get an invite to the swccgpc slack? I would love to be able to chat with other devs who have been involved in the different swccg tools/software out there...
PM me your email address and I can add you!
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

JawaJack
Starter
Starter

Post by JawaJack »

Hey all! new/returning player here, (I have yet to actually play a game in GEMP actually but I'm sure I'll be active!) I'm a developer and already booted up a local version of GEMP to dabble in contributions if at all possible etc...

However a big hurdle has been figuring out where the community is. Take this feedback as my 'first impressions' (or ditch it, since I've not been watching the community grow through the years and I know there is history to why it is the way it is.)

---

My main hurdle has been finding the community. Coming from a world where Twitch/Discord is king for online gaming, I was expecting to maybe find both. The Twitch channel is great, and it's awesome to see the videos posted on Youtube. I found it very easy to find content to see current metas etc.

I was very confused as to how to engage with the community. These forums seem best, but there are links to so many apps on the home page of the swccg site. Slack for example feels like its' broken, as I click and it just asks for a login, no registration instructions. (If it's internal, great but I'd avoid linking from the home page of the site then.)

Similar thing with GEMP, the login failed with no actual info as to why it was failing, and took me a couple weeks to get around to asking for help, as I thought the site was just defunct. (Seeing GEMP on youtube/twitch made me realize it was still alive an well, otherwise I would have assumed it was not maintained anymore.)

---

I'd consider removing some of the links to some communities from the home page, and maybe focusing on less-is-more. Youtube/Twitch seem active, discord/slack are only good if actively curated to avoid toxicity (in my experience).. Facebook would compete with these forums but may be great to provide info to the community touchpoints... I have lots of ideas as this is in line with my profession.

All-in-all, I hope to engage more, and love to see all the awesome stuff the community has done these years!

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Welcome aboard. You've touched on the main things that I think we as a community need to be better about- organization and communication. There are official PC versions/communities on all of the platforms you've mentioned.

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/swccgpc (which you said you've found)
Twitter - https://twitter.com/swccg (which you've also said you've found)
Discord - https://discord.gg/nEEnXCZ
Slack - https://starwarsccg.slack.com (invite only, and I don't actually know who does invites or if I can invite people, for example)
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/starwarsccg/ (as official a group as we have on Facebook)
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwzN9P ... bvCRfScS6Q (which it sounds like you've found as well)

For Slack, if you (or anyone) sends me a PM, I can try to invite people but don't know if I have that power.

As for links being edited/website design, I believe that is on the list of things for the web development team, but it doesn't seem as high of a priority, since the Forums are the most active part of this community.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

I would say in order of most to least active part of the community in terms of interacting:
Forums
Slack
Twitch/Twitch chat (e.g. during live streams)
Discord
Facebook (mostly for selling/trading cards as I understand it? I don't facebook much so not totally sure.)

YouTube/Twitter are great for watching SWCCG, but are just content to consume, not things to interact with (besides liking a video/tweet or whatever, but you know what I mean).

The first two I think are by far the most used, lots of activity on both every day (Slack I'd say has even more than the forums, but not all SWCCG related.. the open discussion and politics channels see a lot of chat for example).

Gemp is super active for playing, see this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75251&sid=e339d82b7 ... d196843f4e

Your point about the front page is valid. A link to the forum as it is is nice. Something even more clear about "here's where to interact with the community" could be useful.

The slack, I don't even know why there's an invite required instead of just allowing anyone to join.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Facebook (mostly for selling/trading cards as I understand it? I don't facebook much so not totally sure.)
Facebook is probably the most active thing in the entire community, and it's not just trading. You missed out on some amazing stuff from the Decipher creators of the Krayt Dragon card after this weeks Malandorian episode for instance.

Honestly the fact that the information is on the forums and we have to beg to put it elsewhere is a problem and a continuing one no matter how many times the PC says they'll do better. Forums are the most defunct form of community on the internet. No one new is ever going to look here first.

The Slack chat absolutely should not have to be invite only. So much of the PC stuff seems to be to prevent bots, but it only ever stops people from accessing pertinent information.

The Twitter account should be far far more active than it is.

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

I don't have twitter but I see the posts on the slack announcements. I think Jnap does an excellent job running the twitch handle.

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

IMO there are too many information channels. Im with you here in believing that less is more.

Im not sure that a community with less than a handful of large events a year and a few hundred active members needs as many as 7 channels

It should all start with who out "customer" base is. Im no gamer and no developer, so Slack/Discord/Twitch would be all foreign to me. Even now that I know about them, I wont use them - why would I do so just for swccg, when I can get what I need via other platforms that I use daily?

We have tons of NARPs now, and I bet they find us via facebook or an internet search -> so hopefully on these forums since the PC website is the first link appearing in the google search (although tbh there is no explicit mention in the text snippet of communication/discussions with player base).

Forums may be an "outdated" format but afaik the channels+thread format is the only structured way of discussing, sharing information and easily finding back old stuff. Facebook is simply awful for that - made to share instant thoughts rather than support a long term, structured discussion.

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

seitaer wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:44 pm

The Twitter account should be far far more active than it is.
Do you follow it?
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/swccg
Subscribe to the PC's YouTube page: YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Spoiler
Show
Individual performance for all players in all Majors since 9/2014: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
Gemp Operational Guide & FAQ's: tinyurl.com/GempGuideFAQs
PC Foil & AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist
2020 OCS: 58-26 (T16) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Post by Solidsnack3 »

To add on here, I think an instagram account exists, but it appears the last string of active posts was in 2018. Nice photos of in person tournaments and Johnny Chu/Justin Desai et al winning stuff!
-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

I can invite anyone to slack, but as far as I know it is an invite only program. Send me a pm with your email address if you want in. I didn't set it up originally but I can look to see if there's a way to change that. This is the main reason I wanted to push a bit more traffic to discord - people like the OP can find it and join easily.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

seitaer wrote:
Facebook is probably the most active thing in the entire community, and it's not just trading.
Of the actual playing community? Really?

(The 200ish players that have played in an event in the last few years. No need to quibble on that number thrown out if I'm in the ballpark.)

I've never heard anyone mention a conversation that happened on FB about the current game. Just stuff like your flavor krayt dragon thing. I have heard people reference convos on the forums or slack.

It seems to me to be a group of collectors and former players. Not current players discussing the current game.

But again, I don't think I'm even in the group, and never check FB, so please, correct me if I'm wrong.
Forums are the most defunct form of community on the internet. No one new is ever going to look here first.
Facebook is all about new posts, not ongoing conversations.

How could You have a running discussion on there that lasts months/years? The forum by far seems the best method for the type of conversation we want to have. Slack for realtime chat, forum for turn based conversation.

Facebook may have the most number of collectors and former players, and the job shouldn't be to switch our activity to their, but to make sure they're aware of the forums and feel welcome and invited to come here.

Also, re: twitter, months ago it was pretty defunct, then JNap took it over and has done and AMAZING job continually pushing out tweets about current events, streaming shows, fun facts (like anniversary stuff, or carrie fisher thing), etc.

quickdraw3457 wrote:I can invite anyone to slack, but as far as I know it is an invite only program. Send me a pm with your email address if you want in. I didn't set it up originally but I can look to see if there's a way to change that. This is the main reason I wanted to push a bit more traffic to discord - people like the OP can find it and join easily.
Here is where you can change the setting so any member can invite someone: https://starwarsccg.slack.com/admin/settings#invites

It should have been on by default so probably Robbie turned it off when setting up slack.

I can't add another thing to check in my life, so I can't see ever really using the discord, personally.

Return to “General Discussion”