Getting Back into SW CCG After 20 Years

SWCCG game play discussion.
AnakinSkywalker67
Starter
Starter

Getting Back into SW CCG After 20 Years

Post by AnakinSkywalker67 »

Hi all!

Found this site through my friend who I'm currently getting back into SW CCG with again. Used to play when I was in 5th-8th grade, but fell out of touch with the game after I moved and traded most of my cards (an old friend is going to try to find them and his though and give them to me for free which is pretty cool.)

I'm not planning on playing in tournaments or anything, and some may see this as ill-advised, but I just bought a booster box of Cloud City (I was going to base my deck on this anyway) for $150. I have no cards anymore and figure it would give me a solid foundation and I could supplement it by then buying individuals on eBay. Already bought 2 son of skywalkers and 2 of anakin's lightsaber for $5 a piece. Also have picked up some Dark Side cards so I can build a DS deck as well (I've always been primarily lightside). I've managed to find some good deals and bought a few of the cloud city rares I'm not guaranteed to get in the box, and even if I do I'll have multiple which'll be good for the deck.

I know on here lots of people have said, don't waste your money on a booster box!, but ever since I first went on ebay in 2002 and saw the cloud city box listed (it was my favorite expansion), I've always wanted it. I figure this isn't a terrible way to build a deck and I'll have plenty of cards on top of it; I'll be playing mostly with one of my best friends, so I'm pretty excited about it. It's also the best time to do this given the whole quarantine going on around the world (I'm in California) and it gives me a project to do which is something I really need right now with this constant boredom.

Two questions though. And I'm looking forward to being a member of this community!

One, any advice deck-wise considering what I've already done? lol, I know again maybe not the best way to go about it, but what's done is done. I got Vader Dark Lord of the Sith as well along with Vader's lightsaber for a potential DS deck and we'll see what I get in the box and move forward from there with what I do with the darkside. Any advice though would be great, or rather, any pointers. How many interrupts should I have? Effects?

Also, is there a good place to read the rules of the game or a good explanation that isn't hard to understand? We actually never knew how to play 100% correctly and anyone who could help me out on this I'd really appreciate it. It's really hard to for me to go through the ten page rules sheets, it becomes overwhelming. I get all the turn phases and whatnot, but some of the intricacies are lost on me right now and I completely forget.

Originally we were going to play on Gemp, but, it was giving my computer problems and Holotable won't work on my Macbook Pro. Plus, he has physical cards, I want to hopefully play with others at some point and get physical cards, so, this just works. And I think that CC is one of the most balanced expansions and I know this is nostalgia talking, but it was my favorite. For the darkside, if I manage to get Boba and Slave I that will rock and I can build a deck around that and Vader. I have to see though what I get before getting into the darkside. Any ideas though for a darkside deck with Cloud City would be great.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and looking forward to being a part of this community!!!!

Berm
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Re: Getting Back into SW CCG After 20 Years

Post by Berm »

Welcome back!

I don't have time for a detailed answer, but I wanted to give my advice surrounding GEMP.

I highly recommend you get it working on your computer - GEMP enforces all the rules so it becomes an incredible tool you can use to learn how to play the game properly again.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

For dark side, you’re looking at CCT and TDIGWATT.

CCT is probably what I’d recommend since you really just need a smattering of none Cloud City cards to get this deck going. If you were really budget constrained you could even forgo Daroe->IG-88.

I think you’d need:

Carbon Chamber Testing (Obj)
He’s All Yours Bounty Hunter (v)
Boba Fett’s Blaster Rifle (v)
Any Methods Necessary
My Favorite Decoration
Boba Fett (CC) (v)
Jabba’s Palace: Audience Chamber
Scum & Villany
Mighty Jabba or Jabba the Hutt
Despair (v)
Carbonate Chamber Console (v)
Cloud City: Carbonite Chamber
Cloud City: Security Tower (v)
Jabba’s Palace: Dungeon
Knowledge & Defense (v)
Set of Shields

Then depending on how much you want to spend/can borrow in real life, you can either put together a streamlined CCT deck or play a suboptimal one with the cheapest aliens, droids, alien starships, interrupts, and effects that fit the deck you can get your hands on.

I’d recommend this deck for two reasons. First, for the Dark Deal objective you typically want to get the Executor deployed for next to nothing, which means you run 4-5 copies of They Must Never Leave This City Again. It’s not a super cheap card. You also want the Executor, Thrawn, Imperial Commands, etc. etc.

The second reason is probably at least half of your CCT Scum deck would slide over right on into a Court of the Vile Gangster deck. So, if you don’t like CCT Scum, you have another deck you can pivot to with a lot of the cards you already have.

For LS, if you really want to maximize what you’ve already bought, I’d run QMC.

You need:
QMC
Bespin
Beldon’s Eye Combo (v)
Wokling (v)*
Keeping the Empire Out Forever
Harc Seff
Overseer (v) (Z-95 Defense Fighter thing, ECC?)
Dash Rendar
Outrider
3-4 CC sites
Pucmir Thryss
Heading For the Medical Frigate
LS Set of Defensive Shields

I’d probably recommend trying some weird Ancient Watering Hole (v) since most of the rest of the deck would then be relatively cheap.

I also think the recommendation to play on GEMP is pretty solid. Trying to rack my brain for relatively cheap decks, I think you could probably run suboptimal versions of ISB or MAP without too much of a hit. A lot of other DS decks are out though. I think SSA(v) good stuff with suboptimal cards isn’t where you want to be.

For LS, you probably can play OA, EBO, and No Idea without being completely optimized or spending a fortune.

If you have time, I think I’d try playing with these types of decks on GEMP to find what you like the most if you’re willing to spend more $$$.

I’m unfortunately not the person to turn to when it comes for deck lists, but there are a lot from the last three years and if you reach out to certain people in the community who are good players, they can probably help you with lists.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

One big question: are you looking to okay with virtual cards, or would you prefer to play with only physical/original cards? The answer is going to greatly affect what responses will be helpful to you. I’ve only been playing for a few years so I have no experience with what decks would have looked like in the Cloud City era, for instance, but I know newer builds pretty well.

The Objectives advice given above is fairly solid, although heavy on V cards. All three of the recommended Objectives (Carbon Chamber Testing, This Deal Is Getting Worse All The Time, and Quiet Mining Colony) are Cloud City based and are printed cards so you’ll find support for them without playing V cards, but QMC in particular benefits greatly from running virtual cards.

There are great resources for new and returning players here on the forums, even a whole sub forum dedicated to giving you a stepping stone back into the game. I’d actually suggest trying the Players Committee intro decks first before building your own, as they are fully printable and give you a good intro to the modern game. If playing old school style if more your jam, the DS II starter decks are a good way to go, and you can find them to buy or the lists are in GEMP if you can get it working (which I recommend for the same reasons stated above). There’s also an intro thing that one of the forum users posted that gives a super streamlined breakdown of the game (and is Cloud City based!). I’ll try to find the link (edit:https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewtopic ... 32&t=69241). It’s aimed a bit more at totally new players but could still be a good refresher.

Good luck and welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justin Miyashiro

Dark Deal Abuse
GEMP Username: DarkDeal44

Post by Dark Deal Abuse »

1- Welcome back!
2- GEMP is your friend here for the points highlighted above by Berm.
3- I recently started rebuying physcial cards too. If you want best value for your buck never buy anything sealed. You can get prem-ds2 all c's and UC's on ebay for around 100-150. i bought two sets of these and am in the proces of buying rares and mains that i will likely use for decks. I have built several decks so far using this strategy and will likely have two ore built within the next month! stay away from sealed if you are a returning player and just buy the bulk lots and singles!

-DDA
I ONLY play PREMIERE- REFLECTIONS II (no v-cards, no shields and most importantly no Episode 1)...would love to talk to others that play this format! :popcrn:

Actively trying to build an old school SWCCG player base in Michigan. PM me if interested!
Actively building a Prem-Ref2 Cube (my first one ever).

DS-61-4
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by DS-61-4 »

I am a returning player who came back after leaving when Jabba's Palace had just came out. I came back and have been dazzled by objectives, shields, v-cards, episode 1 cards, starting interrupts, admiral's orders, etc. The learning curve is very steep and the players who are in it are very good. It is pretty daunting.

GEMP itself is pretty daunting as well, just because it seems so formal, you don't know who your opponent is, and you can't gauge whether they are frustrated with you, and it is pretty easy to make mistakes. It's taken me a few games to figure out how the whole thing works. I would recommend using it with a friend the first few times to get the hang of the mechanics. The thing it's been most helpful for me is just being able to watch games. You can read their cards, figure out the how and why of what they are doing, and get a feel for how games typically go. Knowing the cards inside and out is such a huge advantage and that only comes with time and experience. The rules are the other part of that equation that you have to know inside and out. I suggest starting off by reading through some of the old decipher rulebooks and then the player committee beginner rules before jumping into the advanced rulebook. It is a beast that I regularly use to put myself to sleep at night. But it has almost everything in it and it is all important.

Getting cards: by far the cheapest way is to buy a couple complete sets of each expansion and/or very large collections off ebay, on here, or facebook. Then pick up the extras you need off classifieds. There are numerous people that will sell you whatever cards you need for a fair price. Depending on how you will want to play, what kind of collection you want, and who you plan on playing against, you might have to spend a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Fun can be had with very meager decks though. I'm a big fan of the 30 card trainer decks from the swccg store that are made up entirely of common and uncommon cards. 30 card decks in general are fun and are great fast ways to have an excuse to play silly cards, test concepts or ideas, and if you have a little bit of an idea of how to play, you can start fiddling with building your own and you learn a lot testing that way.

Darth-Adam1981
Starter
Starter

Post by Darth-Adam1981 »

I also just dug out my cards. Looking into getting back into the game. I own a Magic the Gathering store in upstate NY and hoping to get tournaments going there.

Jago257

Post by Jago257 »

AnakinSkywalker67 wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 4:38 am
Hi all!

It's also the best time to do this given the whole quarantine going on around the world (I'm in California) and it gives me a project to do which is something I really need right now with this constant boredom.
Welcome back! Are you SoCal, NorCal, or central? Would be happy to get you connected with our Socal group: https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewforum ... 7ff2bf7a89

AnakinSkywalker67
Starter
Starter

Hazardville wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 12:55 pm
One big question: are you looking to okay with virtual cards, or would you prefer to play with only physical/original cards? The answer is going to greatly affect what responses will be helpful to you. I’ve only been playing for a few years so I have no experience with what decks would have looked like in the Cloud City era, for instance, but I know newer builds pretty well.

The Objectives advice given above is fairly solid, although heavy on V cards. All three of the recommended Objectives (Carbon Chamber Testing, This Deal Is Getting Worse All The Time, and Quiet Mining Colony) are Cloud City based and are printed cards so you’ll find support for them without playing V cards, but QMC in particular benefits greatly from running virtual cards.

There are great resources for new and returning players here on the forums, even a whole sub forum dedicated to giving you a stepping stone back into the game. I’d actually suggest trying the Players Committee intro decks first before building your own, as they are fully printable and give you a good intro to the modern game. If playing old school style if more your jam, the DS II starter decks are a good way to go, and you can find them to buy or the lists are in GEMP if you can get it working (which I recommend for the same reasons stated above). There’s also an intro thing that one of the forum users posted that gives a super streamlined breakdown of the game (and is Cloud City based!). I’ll try to find the link (edit:https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewtopic ... 32&t=69241). It’s aimed a bit more at totally new players but could still be a good refresher.

Good luck and welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm actually going to be playing virtually and physically. The thing is, I'm in the middle of a legal battle right now for an injury. Once I get my settlement, I'll be able to get some more cards and build a better deck. I have gotten some physical cards on top of what I have to supplement. I need to find an objective card for the light side honestly.

I'm having problems with GEMP on my mac though, and on top of that, I can't read the cards. Any advice on how to get it working?

AnakinSkywalker67
Starter
Starter

Dark Deal Abuse wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 12:25 pm
1- Welcome back!
2- GEMP is your friend here for the points highlighted above by Berm.
3- I recently started rebuying physcial cards too. If you want best value for your buck never buy anything sealed. You can get prem-ds2 all c's and UC's on ebay for around 100-150. i bought two sets of these and am in the proces of buying rares and mains that i will likely use for decks. I have built several decks so far using this strategy and will likely have two ore built within the next month! stay away from sealed if you are a returning player and just buy the bulk lots and singles!

-DDA
Haha well I went ahead and had already bought the CC box before I even posted this. It's the only time I will ever do it, but, It's something I've wanted to do for a very long time and I could do it for $150. Out of all the rares, I didn't get any duplicates of the 60 and got Boba Fett, Slave 1, DS Lando, Captain Han Solo, Princess Leia, and some other good cards that supplement with what I'm looking to do...at least for now. I've gotten quite a few singles too for very good prices off of ebay and haven't overspent on that at all.

Once I have some more money in my pocket (which will be soon) I'll be able to really do what I want and build multiple decks.

A question for everyone though: Why do you think this game has exploded as of late? So many people are getting back into it it's crazy!!!

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

AnakinSkywalker67 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 10:42 pm
A question for everyone though: Why do you think this game has exploded as of late? So many people are getting back into it it's crazy!!!
1. Gemp
2. COVID
3. New Star Wars movies
4. Increased social media presence
5. Fantastic community

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

AnakinSkywalker67 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 10:37 pm

I'm having problems with GEMP on my mac though, and on top of that, I can't read the cards. Any advice on how to get it working?
What problems? What browser are you using? What kind of Mac is it?

To read cards, you can hold shift and click on the card. It will bring up a larger version of the card.

What I usually do when playing is I'll have GEMP deckbuilder open in another browser on my 2nd screen. I'll have up my current deck and then I can search for cards my opponent plays and then I can shift click on that browser so it doesn't shrink or waste my clock and opponents time with me having to read in the game window. Because when you click on something else, the card goes away but it is tied to that window.

AnakinSkywalker67
Starter
Starter

When starting a game when I tried clicking on cards it wouldn't work, but, that may have been an issue on my end. It may be because I didn't know how to play after all these years. Now I do. And gemp will help me remember. I already put my light side deck in there (though there were a few cards I couldn't find, but that's okay), now putting my DS deck in there.

Thank you with the reading cards! Me and my friend didn't know that, now we can really play and I can play with others here!

My decks aren't the greatest, but they do have a strategy around them and I'm excited to play after all this time.

I know you guys said don't buy anything sealed, and I had already and set my mind on it (won't and was never planning on doing it again), but doing so and sorting through 540 cards PLUS the singles I've already bought/that are on the way have really really really helped familiarized myself wih the game, see how cards interconnect, and build a deck around a theme and objective cards I picked up. Now I'm ready to start playing.

I'm just going with OT cards; I love the prequels, but I don't totally think the PT fits and some cards are just a bit overpowered for my taste. Maybe it's nostalgia talking as I stopped collecting and playing after Jabba's palace, which I think was a really lackluster set.

I ended up getting Boba Fett, Slave One, Dark Lando, Captain Solo, Princess Leia, most of the main rare cards except light side lando. I got no duplicate rares so I can finish the set easy. And the duplicate interrupts etc really help. I know, not the cheapest way I could do it, but, it was a lot of fun and the only time I'll get to experience it.

AnakinSkywalker67
Starter
Starter

I figured out gemp. It was safari giving me issues and now I know alt+shift (it doesn't say that on the site) allows me to blow up each card, it's sweet. Was playing yesterday with a friend but my building had a gas leak in the middle of it and I had to evacuate the building and stayed in a hotel last night. Played two games today, my first time in over 20 years. Tweaking my deck, bought some new singles because I want my deck on gemp to be as close to the one I have physically (I really want those z95 fighters but too expensive right now just for one), but, it's pretty sick.

I can't wait to build a deck on gemp from scratch as my knowledge of the game and the cards expands. I simply don't remember and stopped early. Right now I'm not really playing competitively, but, that could change depending. The game has so many strategies it's almost endless and it's really interesting going up against decks that are completely different and ones that more mesh battle-wise. One game today out of two ended up being a force drain battle in the end.

This will be interesting! Thanks a lot for the warm welcomes. :)

Hayes

Post by Hayes »

Awesome to hear (about the game, not the gas leak). Welcome back!

Clayton Atkin
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Clayton Atkin »

AnakinSkywalker67 wrote:
May 2nd, 2020, 4:38 am
It's also the best time to do this given the whole quarantine going on around the world (I'm in California) and it gives me a project to do which is something I really need right now with this constant boredom.
Which part of California? We have play-groups in both Southern California, and in the Bay area.
DVD ROTS wrote:EPP Drunk Kyle with 1/3-full Bottle of Vodka leads one to draw certain conclusions, though.

AnakinSkywalker67
Starter
Starter

I'm in Pasadena

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

AnakinSkywalker67 wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 10:32 pm
I'm in Pasadena
Nice! We have a group that sometimes meets at Emerald Knights in Burbank. Poke your head into the SoCal forum here:
viewforum.php?f=800
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

AnakinSkywalker67
Starter
Starter

Awesome! Not too far. Hopefully this quarantine ends soon haha. I'd be down. Still new and getting used to it all. won a few games but have gotten my ass kicked quite a few times.

Return to “General Discussion”