SWCCG Econ

SWCCG game play discussion.
DS-61-4

SWCCG Econ

Post by DS-61-4 »

Lots of talk lately about the crazy prices of cards lately, mostly about the causes. I'm not as interested in why it's happening, the two questions on my mind are:

1. Is this a bubble? Or will prices never be as low as they are today?

2. How will the current price trends affect the growth of the game long term? I get that the PC can change demand somewhat by what cards get (v)ed, and that the game's current growth is fueling the prices, but it is not a cheap game to get into - you have to count on spending easily over a grand to get a couple sets of most the rares. I know insane prices won't "kill" the game (it can never die), but they'd have to deter people from getting into it and encourage people who still have cards to sell them. I don't feel like this game can sustain itself on GEMP alone.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Re: SWCCG Econ

Post by seitaer »

I don't know about that last part, it's doing a pretty damn good job of it.

Anyway there are plenty of decks built on cards that aren't super expensive. Luke rebel scout goes for around 15-16 dollars and is much more commonly played than LSJK at present.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

1.) For ultra-rares, ultra-rare foils, and the foil Corvette, the answer is no. There’s not much sealed product left out there to pull ultra rares from, and the Corvette was underpriced. Additionally, a lot of people are less likely to sell these cards until we know where prices will stabilize, since selling an ultra rare and then later wanting to buy another one is a dicey proposition. FWIW, it’s way easier for me to move off of a card worth $50 then $200.

Sealed product is super scare, and the prices are what they are. They’re not going down.

Most other stuff is weird. I think a lot of R3 premiums are overpriced right now, as are the EPP Maul and Qui-Gon foils, etc.

Normally, I’d say they’d probably go down half way between whatever the selling prices were in February and now, but if we have a second major wave of Covid-19 who knows?

2.) I don’t think it’ll hurt things.

Point A: Actually if LSJK and Emperors one day reach a grand, there will probably be more discussion via social media which could draw in more players. Remember that saying that all publicity is good publicity? Obviously that’s not true, but if the general CCG public gets word SWCCG cards are worth something, you’ll get more not serious SWCCG players looking at the game, which is good.

Point B: While the pandemic has spiked prices, it’s also spiked interest in GEMP which is a good thing. More people are playing than have been in a while.

Point C: Even if certain cards get crazy expensive we have a lot of players who would lend cards to those in need at events. Because this is an OOP game, most people playing don’t have the same attitude you’ll find in players in games like MTG.

Point D: The players committee is pretty good about trying to keep things balanced and provide the community with multiple valid deck options. For instance, if Palpatine decks become oppressive, they’ll probably release a virtual Emperor that isn’t quite as good as the DSII version, but will fill a lot of the same roles in decks that play him (AOBS, HD, etc.).
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

While I do think prices will continue to trend upward in the long-term, we're definitely in a COVID bubble right now and I'd expect once places reopen and people go back to work that you'll see at least a small dip in prices compared to where we are today.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

You don't need complete sets of most of the rares to play. You don't need AIs or Ultra Rares to play. No Idea, Map, ISB, Court(without BFBH), Watto, WYS, and a number of other decks can be built for about the price of a Standard MTG deck(probably some for much less). Also, card borrowing is a thing if you're actually traveling to events, GEMP(or even holotable) is a thing if you're hanging out in your basement, and I've heard of other options when playing at unsanctioned or kitchen table games that I won't mention here.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

spideyguy0 wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 3:04 pm
While I do think prices will continue to trend upward in the long-term, we're definitely in a COVID bubble right now and I'd expect once places reopen and people go back to work that you'll see at least a small dip in prices compared to where we are today.
This is what I anticipate as well. What's most interesting to me is how long it will take for prices to creep back up after the potential (IMO likely) dip.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

Darth_Link
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Darth_Link »

spideyguy0 wrote:
I definitely see it as a bubble right now.

People are offloading General Solo for $25, while you can still get them for $2.75 in the PC store.

Guess some people are trying to make money during quarantine, and others don't have anything else to spend it on right now?
Emil W. Sweden
ImageImage

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

I am still "betting" on a bubble but this article was posted on facebook and there was a lot of speculation it will fuel more...speculation:

https://www.quietspeculation.com/2020/0 ... y8VaqZ2LqM
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Darth_Link wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:46 am
spideyguy0 wrote:

People are offloading General Solo for $25, while you can still get them for $2.75 in the PC store.

Guess some people are trying to make money during quarantine, and others don't have anything else to spend it on right now?
I wish I could sell General Solos at all. The 4 rares from the ds2 starter decks were just so overproduced that they rarely move.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

ElDuderino
GEMP Username: ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

Darth_Link wrote:
spideyguy0 wrote:

There are a whole ton available on ebay for between $3-$5, so I don't know why someone would be even $20 for that guy!

The foil General Solo, on the other hand, has been pulling in crazy money.

muttzen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by muttzen »

ElDuderino wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 11:20 pm
Darth_Link wrote:
spideyguy0 wrote:

There are a whole ton available on ebay for between $3-$5, so I don't know why someone would be even $20 for that guy!

The foil General Solo, on the other hand, has been pulling in crazy money.
People might want the 99 solos, which should be about as rare as daughter of skywalker? or do they know that...
can I has urf?

mark m.

TheLuhks
GEMP Username: Luhks

Post by TheLuhks »

Cards like Lord Vader, Premiere Luke, Han with Heavy Blaster Pistol, etc. are really spiking in price and hard to find.

A set of Reflections II premiums has gone up from around $75 to $110 or so. Endor sets went from $200 to $300.

It must be demand.
FINN: I need a weapon.

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

My gut tells me prices probably won't fall much. As a NARP trying to complete a collection to play with, I'm worried I'm going to be priced out before I can finish, so I'm in full buy mode right now. If prices drop, I'll feel dumb and have wasted money, but at least I'll have the cards I need.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

I hate to say it, but the more I think about it the more I agree.

Return to “General Discussion”