Request for an Official Annual Decipher-Era Event

SWCCG game play discussion.
stevetotheizz0

Request for an Official Annual Decipher-Era Event

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

I'm going to try to summarize a discussion from Slack here for posterity:

Can we incorporate retro events to the PC schedule and support on a limited basis (like once a year)?

Background:

I believe in 2011 and 2012 we had DS ii and Ref iii throwback events at worlds. Both events had a pretty decent response with about 30-ish participants. Later, there was an online refii throwback event that also had about 20-ish participants.

I think there is enough support within the community, from current, retired, and no-vcard players to support some sort of limited schedule of like one high-stake/profile throwback event each year.

(Disclaimer: The prem-hoth event in 2014 was not all that greatly received, so the quality of the format is important.)

Proposal:

I propose one two-day/top-cut event every year. Alternating between online one year and in person (if possible) the next. So this year it would be on Gemp, but next year we could try to have it at worlds as the Friday event, or even as a whole weekend in place of another smaller event.

Formats:

I think there are a few solid throwback formats, but people would quickly get burnt out when each was "solved" after a few months so you can only do like one a year, and then move on to another the next. If you rotate enough you'll only repeat a format once ever 6-10 years, which is probably just the right level to forget and come back and rediscover for nostalgia. Examples of throwback formats could be something like:

- Prem - ref ii
- Prem - ds ii
- Prem - Tatooine / Coruscant / Theed but with limited shields, such as just the decipher shields and Starting effect plus senate and podracing. (Whatever the bare minimum needed so that one strategy doesn't completely dominate and break the format and you can explore the addition of the other cards)
-ref iii

Anyway, that's just my :$.02:

rhendon

Re: Petition for an Official Retro Event Schedule

Post by rhendon »

I think part of it is the organizers of the majors need to push this at their events more. Another part is most people would rather prep for the main event beforehand or just hang out and play other games. If someone wants to step up and run them though, I don't see why the PC wouldn't support it.

Same for the online versions of this. I don't think we are going to be having events for awhile. So someone just needs to step up and run them. To run an event online, just reach out Matt Carulli with the details. He can make sure GEMP can handle it and then get it posted on the forums and people can sign up.

The PC will support a lot but someone needs to step up and run things. It is a lot easier for them to support an event if someone is already running it. It can be quite stressful for them to schedule things and not have someone to run it. The first Endor, I was asked about a month out to run it. I can't imagine what Scott and Wirfs were going through to find someone and then the relief when they did so close to the event. I know Wirfs was going to do it at the end if I didn't, but still, not fun times to be in their shoes.

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

rhendon wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 5:46 pm
The PC will support a lot but someone needs to step up and run things. It is a lot easier for them to support an event if someone is already running it. It can be quite stressful for them to schedule things and not have someone to run it. The first Endor, I was asked about a month out to run it. I can't imagine what Scott and Wirfs were going through to find someone and then the relief when they did so close to the event. I know Wirfs was going to do it at the end if I didn't, but still, not fun times to be in their shoes.
I think what I'm saying is that the PC's role would just be to slot this into their annual calendar and promote it the way they do with their other major events each year. So they just coordinate it in the schedule and handle social media, with someone volunteering to organize/run/determine format/etc. Hope that makes sense.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Re: Request for an Official Annual Decipher-Era Event

Post by imrahil327 »

Just dropping in to let people know that this request has been received :) Please feel free to carry on discussing, keeping Robbie's points in mind.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Why the inertia on this died:

We had one in 2011-2012 I think, it was a stand alone, drew maybe 30-40 people... decent cash prize (mpc level). TJ, Steven Lewis, and a hayes hunter who hadn't really played all that much played. Albany, KToD sans chu all played. Was fun, before gemp so holotable was the means of testing.

First event, huge success.

Then it kinda waned, we had one the same day as worlds day 1, 4 rounds type thing, again good prize but way less interest, and it was the same format (pre-ds2)... by the time we thought about planning a 3rd or 4th one it was pretty much dead.

Suggestion
Once a year irl - replace tmw type thing, place it somewhere where there is a large non-vcard contingent.
Once a year on gemp.

Change the format freequently and DON'T start with pre-ds2, do something prior (solves some of the ultra rare issues too).

have a decent prize.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 6:01 pm
I think what I'm saying is that the PC's role would just be to slot this into their annual calendar and promote it the way they do with their other major events each year. So they just coordinate it in the schedule and handle social media, with someone volunteering to organize/run/determine format/etc. Hope that makes sense.
Sure. But someone needs to step up and do the leg work to find a place and be the point of contact for the PC. If they offer to run the event, even better.

TMW existed because Mike stepped up and wanted to run something. He did the leg work and pushed it through the PC. It didn't take any special needs, he just sent the PC a request and did the leg work.

Endor happened because Wirfs and Harpster (and anyone else not sure who all helped), pushed the leg work through.

MPC happened because Shaw, Bill, Gogolen, Scott, etc pushed for it to happen.

The old DPC (Decktech Player's Championships) happened because someone in the area pushed for it to happen.

Euro's happens because of Menzel (and now others) push for it. They do the leg work.

Regionals and states happen because someone puts in a request and offers to find a location and run the event.

The only events where the PC outsources them are Nats and Worlds. Those are the only ones where the PC reaches out to someone in an area or takes apps to find a good area. Then someone in that area is the point person.

TMW, and Euros I believe, had literally 0 funding from PC for years. They would send cool things or award byes, but they didn't always help pay for things. I know TWM with Richards those years before hotels, were held usually at free locations and thus all money from entries went to prize support. Euros was cut off from main area for years.

My point is, the PC will almost always find a way to slot things in. If we wanted to run TMW again, I have no doubts the PC would find a space for us and make it happen. If someone wants to run an event, I have no doubts the PC will try and find space for it. They would happily create the forum for it, advertise it, etc. If they can throw funding to it, they will. What they aren't going to do though is find the location, TD, and do all the leg work for the event. Create the format, the rules for it, etc. They will help someone do so, but they won't do so on their own. They just don't have the manpower for it. They need people to help out.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

personally i'd be a little surprised if many people would want to travel just for a retro event.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 9:33 pm
personally i'd be a little surprised if many people would want to travel just for a retro event.
I mean, star wars isn't the most fun part of the weekends.

I'd travel to hang out with star wars players and just play other games and hang out all weekend. root, avalon, etc.

swccg is just the excuse.

:-D

(harpster can sit at a table for 3 days and take on all challengers for anyone wanting a swccg fix)

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

arebelspy wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 12:16 am

(harpster can sit at a table for 3 days and take on all challengers for anyone wanting a swccg fix)
and still not draw the right number of cards for a starting hand!
Jerry H

Image Image

Return to “General Discussion”