Most influential historic decks

SWCCG game play discussion.
The Franchise

Most influential historic decks

Post by The Franchise »

So, theres a lot of historic info out there and some is being compiled now. But, I was thinking, if we could come up with a list of maybe 10-25 of the most influential decks it could provide a good starting point for someone looking to review the history of the game.

We can make a poll or compile a final list at some point, right now though just trying to get a listing of what is on everyones mind.

Here are some that influenced me and I think significant overall to the game:

Dark Surgeon
Martin Falke HB
Martin Falke tie scouts
Chu hbx
Hayes pile
Brian Hunter ISB
Speeder operatives
ISB deserts/walkers
Quebec MWYHL
Quebec BHBM
Brangus Glee superstar
The tremor in the force WYS and Deal decks
Mart Akkeson TRM db’s

List is not exhaustive and mainly focused on my playing days Endor through Tatooine so stuff before that or early pc era I do not have a good sense of

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Re: Most influential historic decks

Post by allstarz97 »

Ktod senate
Huntdown from your favorite genre
Monkey ties
Eboghetto
Tj/chu wys
ktod profit
ktod combat (ls)
Last edited by allstarz97 on July 14th, 2020, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Deal Abuse
GEMP Username: DarkDeal44

Post by Dark Deal Abuse »

Dark Deal back in the day. Caused erratas no?
I ONLY play PREMIERE- REFLECTIONS II (no v-cards, no shields and most importantly no Episode 1)...would love to talk to others that play this format! :popcrn:

Actively trying to build an old school SWCCG player base in Michigan. PM me if interested!

My Prem-Ref2 Cube is Complete!

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Dark Deal Abuse wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 9:44 am
Yeah I think that was “Shot in the Dark Deal” which used Shot in the Dark to setup a very fast (turn 1?) Dark Deal

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

All Your Base
Chu's Ket Malis Deal
2003 Walkers
Atl Walkers from 2010
Herold CPI
Herold CoT
Reid (I think he started it) Scum from 2004?
Justin Warren HD
Shaw TIGIH Obi goes OOP
Bastian/Angelo QMC
Spice Ties (Emil/KTOD)
Emil IE

Dark Deal Abuse

Correct! It was awesome. Won us lots of games back then. It was Dark Deal Abuse!

The Franchise wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 9:48 am
Dark Deal Abuse wrote:
Yeah I think that was “Shot in the Dark Deal” which used Shot in the Dark to setup a very fast (turn 1?) Dark Deal
I ONLY play PREMIERE- REFLECTIONS II (no v-cards, no shields and most importantly no Episode 1)...would love to talk to others that play this format! :popcrn:

Actively trying to build an old school SWCCG player base in Michigan. PM me if interested!

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Dark Deal Abuse wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 10:13 am
Correct! It was awesome. Won us lots of games back then. It was Dark Deal Abuse!

The Franchise wrote:
Dark Deal Abuse wrote:
Haha nice! What did the card do- wasnt it like lose a force to draw a card or something? The deck was a bit before my time but i think cheap guys like Ozzel were used for a fast Deal?

Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

The Franchise wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 10:24 am
Dark Deal Abuse wrote:

The Franchise wrote:
Dark Deal Abuse wrote:
Haha nice! What did the card do- wasnt it like lose a force to draw a card or something? The deck was a bit before my time but i think cheap guys like Ozzel were used for a fast Deal?
You would play like 10 Shot in the dark (cause you could not start it), which said "lose a force to draw top card of reserve" and you could do it as often as you want. So you play a bunch of duplicates, imperial supply and lose like 30 force to setup Cloud city with an Obsidian tie there (which costs 1 force), 5-6 sites with Ozzel (0 deploy), Trooper Jerrol Blendin (0) and some deply 1 mofos, Dark Deal, play 1-2 scanning crews and then say go being ready to drain for 15-20 force on your second turn.
Then they errataed Shot in the Dark to be only once per turn and since then it has never ever seen the light of day again.
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImage

Madmanwithabox
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by Madmanwithabox »

Maelstrom
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

Dark Deal Abuse

Great summary.

Death Star wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 10:52 am
The Franchise wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 10:24 am
Dark Deal Abuse wrote:

The Franchise wrote:
Dark Deal Abuse wrote:
You would play like 10 Shot in the dark (cause you could not start it), which said "lose a force to draw top card of reserve" and you could do it as often as you want. So you play a bunch of duplicates, imperial supply and lose like 30 force to setup Cloud city with an Obsidian tie there (which costs 1 force), 5-6 sites with Ozzel (0 deploy), Trooper Jerrol Blendin (0) and some deply 1 mofos, Dark Deal, play 1-2 scanning crews and then say go being ready to drain for 15-20 force on your second turn.
Then they errataed Shot in the Dark to be only once per turn and since then it has never ever seen the light of day again.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

Additonal Decks of Note

-RST/Harc Seff/Jedi Presence
-Treva Horme MPC Deck
-WYS Panic
-WYS Trippler
-Profit Trippler
-Boomrace RST
-ROPS DSII Era
-MWYHL Super Falcon

Looking at the other lists I mostly agree except for Herold’s CoT. I don’t recall anything especially innovative or amazing about that build. Brian was an amazing part of our community when he was active and an incredible deck builder. The CPI deck should definitely be included, but I don’t agree with the CoT deck with all due respect. He did play it very well though.

As far as ROPS, I wouldn’t call it innovative, but I feel that it was such an iconic deck during that time period, it at least deserves an honorable mention of something.

Reid’s spaceport profit probably deserves an honorable mention too. It’s a shame that he didn’t top 4 the online MPC with it. The fact he caught on you can pull Mos Eisley and recirculate with Chirrut was pretty sharp.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

stephengascrub wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 12:02 pm
Looking at the other lists I mostly agree except for Herold’s CoT. I don’t recall anything especially innovative or amazing about that build. Brian was an amazing part of our community when he was active and an incredible deck builder. The CPI deck should definitely be included, but I don’t agree with the CoT deck with all due respect. He did play it very well though.
It put him 2nd at worlds. It went like 20-4 for him that entire tournament season. It surprised some really good players at the event on how resilient/strong it was. Herold was one of the first to use the field dressing trick in it. Richards also did well with it. The deck was a beast.

I'm also pretty sure it lead to the deck being errata'd in some fashion to not be so dumb.

stephengascrub
GEMP Username: Polymers55

Post by stephengascrub »

rhendon wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 12:12 pm
stephengascrub wrote:
It put him 2nd at worlds. It went like 20-4 for him that entire tournament season. It surprised some really good players at the event on how resilient/strong it was. Herold was one of the first to use the field dressing trick in it. Richards also did well with it. The deck was a beast.

I'm also pretty sure it lead to the deck being errata'd in some fashion to not be so dumb.
Ah right. That’s why it didn’t click immediately Robbie. Yeah Field Dressing was kind of synonymous with Brian that year for sure.
Stephen M.
Dagobah Region

-Team The Bad Batch

Madmanwithabox
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by Madmanwithabox »

Operatives - probably some of the most influential decks in SWCCG history.
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

stephengascrub wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 12:30 pm
rhendon wrote:
stephengascrub wrote:

Ah right. That’s why it didn’t click immediately Robbie. Yeah Field Dressing was kind of synonymous with Brian that year for sure.
No worries. I figured it would be one of those that people forgot about but it always stuck with me as one of the icon decks from the later years.

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

I dug up this series of articles the other day -The Decks That Broke The Cards - about how certain cards came to errataed and found it to be incredibly fascinating:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000614165 ... ticles.htm

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

3/2 Deck (and Nightclub after 3/2 got nerfed)
Dick Hat
original busted WYS (V)
Ig-88 CCT
Chewmuning
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

rhendon wrote:
stephengascrub wrote:

I remember only losing 1 game with it that season albeit I didn't attend many tournaments and that was to Kevin's HDv because he had a god hand.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

DS-61-4 wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 12:42 pm
I dug up this series of articles the other day -The Decks That Broke The Cards - about how certain cards came to errataed and found it to be incredibly fascinating:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000614165 ... ticles.htm
Thanks to that I finally see how floating refineries were broken pre-errata.

I had heard they could have competed with operatives at worlds, and it definitely could have with that amount of retrieval.

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

I always come back to TJ Holman's MKOS skrillings deck as a top historical deck. He's the reason I have played it more recently.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Return to “General Discussion”